http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 12:54:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Myth Busted: S&G Met an Asteroid  (Read 3102 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »

Researchers prove Sodom & Gamorrah flattened by asteroid. Fascinating story and amazing find with the tablet.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:16:22 PM »

hah!  take that wrath of god lovers!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:36:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 31, 2008, 07:16:22 PM

hah!  take that wrath of god lovers!

What if the 'wrath of god' came in the form of said asteroid?  It's not like the people of ancient Sodom & Gamorrah looked up in the sky and said "Oh look, it's an asteroid"....

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »

If one starts accepting the premise that this was just an asteroid hitting the earth, rather than some sort of demonstrably supernatural smiting, one is sliding down the slippery slope towards believing that maybe water wasn't actually turned into wine, and that, perhaps, no one rose from the dead.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 07:55:46 PM »

Pretty cool.

It doesn't prove or disprove the wrath of God.  After all, the aftermath of an asteroid would look like the hand of God came down.  But I love it when Science can figure out these things...kind of keeps the universe in order.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:07:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on March 31, 2008, 07:55:46 PM

Pretty cool.

It doesn't prove or disprove the wrath of God.  After all, the aftermath of an asteroid would look like the hand of God came down.  But I love it when Science can figure out these things...kind of keeps the universe in order.

Yes, people without the advantages of a scientific education might think that an asteroid striking earth was the hand of a vengeful god.  I'm not suggesting that it proves/disproves anything, but if a god were attempting to punish the residents of those cities for untoward behavior (t3h gays!), then perhaps (s)he might actually hit the city with the asteroid, rather than smiting the Alps.  Maybe it was a wild pitch or passed ball.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 31, 2008, 08:07:22 PM

Pretty cool.

Yes, people without the advantages of a scientific education might think that an asteroid striking earth was the hand of a vengeful god.  I'm not suggesting that it proves/disproves anything, but if a god were attempting to punish the residents of those cities for untoward behavior (t3h gays!), then perhaps (s)he might actually hit the city with the asteroid, rather than smiting the Alps.  Maybe it was a wild pitch or passed ball.

Well, ya know...God works in mysterious ways.   icon_wink icon_lol icon_biggrin

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 31, 2008, 08:07:22 PM

Pretty cool.

"Juuuuuust a bit outside..."

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 12:49:04 AM »

So does this also mean all the cornholing going on there was exagerated too?

BTW, I hope that asteroid was made out of salt, since, you know, that's the only way the Bible would be accurate on this story.  Well, technically the asteroid would have had to turn everything INTO salt... and it still doesn't resolve how the wife character turned into salt for looking back.

Oh well.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 02:23:03 AM »

Maybe in the old days salt meant Hulk and she was exposed to gamma raysand turned into the Hulk. Would explain why her husband had to hide in that cave and have sex with his daughters. His young, tight daughters with large racks.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 01, 2008, 12:49:04 AM

BTW, I hope that asteroid was made out of salt, since, you know, that's the only way the Bible would be accurate on this story. 

How so?

Oh and we've moved from doubting that soddom and gommorah existed to it existed and was destroyed.  Now it's apparently  been 'proven' that it was destroyed by an asteroid and that somehow proves that the Bible is wrong?  How does one not make the conclusion that an asteroid (rained down burning sulfer) and was the method of destruction? Seems to corroborate the account to me.

Just as, perhaps, 'global warming' is the fire that God spoke of to bring about the end of the world?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:07:13 PM by ATB » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 02:55:45 PM »

I don't think there is any doubt that S&G existed from my very limited knowledge. IIRC there are 5 sites which could be it, they just don't have enough enough evidence to narrow it down. There is an excellent episode of Digging for the Truth on the subject ($1.99 on iTunes).
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 03:20:10 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 02, 2008, 02:01:51 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on April 01, 2008, 12:49:04 AM

BTW, I hope that asteroid was made out of salt, since, you know, that's the only way the Bible would be accurate on this story. 

How so?

Oh and we've moved from doubting that soddom and gommorah existed to it existed and was destroyed.  Now it's apparently  been 'proven' that it was destroyed by an asteroid and that somehow proves that the Bible is wrong?  How does one not make the conclusion that an asteroid (rained down burning sulfer) and was the method of destruction? Seems to corroborate the account to me.

Just as, perhaps, 'global warming' is the fire that God spoke of to bring about the end of the world?

Wasn't this the cities where everyone was turned into salt because they were cornholing everyone else?  Or am I mixing up different Bible stories?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 03:45:05 PM »

Just one person was turned into salt:  Lot's poor unnamed wife who had the temerity to look back at t3h passing asteroid's devestation.

This proves the bible's veracity, as there is definitely salt in the middle east.

Edit for more snark:

Lot's wife was turned into salt for looking back at Sodom, but Lot goes delightully unpunished (and, in effect, is rewarded) for:

In Gen. 19, when God decided to overturn and destroy the five cities of the plain, he sent angels to rescue Lot and his family. The men of Sodom sought to rape (in some translations, meet) the angels (19:5). Lot offers the men his daughters instead, whom he says are virgins (19:8 ), but the men are not interested.

and

Lot left Zoar and retired with his two daughters to a cave in an adjacent mountain. In Gen. 19:30-38, Lot's daughters incorrectly believed they were the only people to have survived the devastation. They assumed it was their responsibility to bear children and enable the continuation of the human race. On two subsequent nights, according to the plan of the older daughter, they got their father drunk enough to have sexual intercourse with them. By him each became pregnant. The first son was named Moab (Hebrew, lit., "from the father" [meh-Av]). He was the patriarch of the nation known as Moab. The second son was named Ammon or Ben-Ammi (Hebrew, lit., "Son of my people"). He became the patriarch of the nation of Ammon.

Can we please get this taught in public schools?  Please?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 03:48:41 PM by Brendan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »

maybe she didn't turn to salt but was just assaulted by the high winds from the impact.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 02, 2008, 03:45:05 PM

Just one person was turned into salt:  Lot's poor unnamed wife who had the temerity to look back at t3h passing asteroid's devestation.

This proves the bible's veracity, as there is definitely salt in the middle east.

Edit for more snark:

Lot's wife was turned into salt for looking back at Sodom, but Lot goes delightully unpunished (and, in effect, is rewarded) for:

In Gen. 19, when God decided to overturn and destroy the five cities of the plain, he sent angels to rescue Lot and his family. The men of Sodom sought to rape (in some translations, meet) the angels (19:5). Lot offers the men his daughters instead, whom he says are virgins (19:8 ), but the men are not interested.

and

Lot left Zoar and retired with his two daughters to a cave in an adjacent mountain. In Gen. 19:30-38, Lot's daughters incorrectly believed they were the only people to have survived the devastation. They assumed it was their responsibility to bear children and enable the continuation of the human race. On two subsequent nights, according to the plan of the older daughter, they got their father drunk enough to have sexual intercourse with them. By him each became pregnant. The first son was named Moab (Hebrew, lit., "from the father" [meh-Av]). He was the patriarch of the nation known as Moab. The second son was named Ammon or Ben-Ammi (Hebrew, lit., "Son of my people"). He became the patriarch of the nation of Ammon.

So basically, God offed Lotts wife, and let him do it with two hot and horny young chicks who just wanted to get him drunk and have sex.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »

You missed the important "incest" factoid.
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 07:47:26 PM »

Researchers who cracked the cuneiform symbols on the Planisphere tablet believe that it recorded an asteroid thought to have been more than half a mile across.

Um...An asteroid that large would extinguish all life on earth.
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 12:00:55 AM »

It didn't necessarily have to be a meteor(ite).  It could have been a comet.

Either way, it's just the start of figuring out what happened.  I'm sure people are trying to get funding for excavations right now based on this.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 06:41:40 PM »

Quote from: noun on April 02, 2008, 07:47:26 PM

Researchers who cracked the cuneiform symbols on the Planisphere tablet believe that it recorded an asteroid thought to have been more than half a mile across.

Um...An asteroid that large would extinguish all life on earth.

Not really.  The asteroid that supposedly got the dinos is estimated at 15 km (9.3 miles) in diameter.

One can plug their own values into a University of Arizona impact damage calculator here, just for fun.

~Neal
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »

Wouldn't the composition of the asteroid have some affect on the force of its impact?  An asteroid comprised primarily of a nickel-aluminum composite would certainly have less overall mass than one made out of iron, copper, and God.

-Autistic Angel
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 04, 2008, 08:37:47 PM

Wouldn't the composition of the asteroid have some affect on the force of its impact?

Definitely.  That's the density box in the second link in my post above yours.

~Neal
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 04, 2008, 08:37:47 PM

Wouldn't the composition of the asteroid have some affect on the force of its impact?  An asteroid comprised primarily of a nickel-aluminum composite would certainly have less overall mass than one made out of iron, copper, and God.

-Autistic Angel

Maybe S&G got hit with a meteor made of feathers.

[edit] To answer the question, though- I'm not sure, but I don't think so.  It's because mass and weight are two different things.  But since physics isn't my forte, perhaps someone else can elaborate.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:19:18 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »

Guys, it didn't hit them.  It hit the Austrians!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 11:50:24 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 05, 2008, 06:01:08 PM

Guys, it didn't hit them.  It hit the Austrians!

It hit Crocodile Dundee's people?  eek

icon_wink

Because I can,
Jolor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 07:22:53 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 02, 2008, 03:56:47 PM

Edit for more snark:

and

So basically, God offed Lotts wife, and let him do it with two hot and horny young chicks who just wanted to get him drunk and have sex.

Hah!  Stupid Christian settled for only *two* virgins.
Grifman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »

Edit for more snark:

Lot's wife was turned into salt for looking back at Sodom, but Lot goes delightully unpunished (and, in effect, is rewarded)

You have a strange idea about being rewarded.  You think having sex with your daughters is a reward?  That's not as much snark as it is weird.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »

No, I mean "rewarded" in the "not turned into salt like poor Lot's wife" sense.  My point was that Lot should've been punished for the twin transgressions of a) offering his daughters to rapists and b) sleeping with them, whereas Lot's wife's only sin was, as far as I can tell, looking over her shoulder.
Jolor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 09, 2008, 11:16:50 PM

No, I mean "rewarded" in the "not turned into salt like poor Lot's wife" sense.  My point was that Lot should've been punished for the twin transgressions of a) offering his daughters to rapists and b) sleeping with them, whereas Lot's wife's only sin was, as far as I can tell, looking over her shoulder.

Wasn't her real sin disobeying an order?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 05:47:54 PM »

Apparently.  Clearly that merited salt-ifying.
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 12, 2008, 05:47:54 PM

Disobeying = turned to salt.

Disobeying the Bible regarding porking your ol' dad = um... well, not really such a bad thing.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2008, 11:23:56 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 12, 2008, 05:47:54 PM

hey, a woman's got to know her place.

Because I can,
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 06:50:29 AM »

Quote from: Jolor on April 12, 2008, 03:46:52 PM

Quote from: Brendan on April 09, 2008, 11:16:50 PM

Wasn't her real sin disobeying an order?

Right, wife has to obey her husband especially a daughter pimping one.smile

BTW, about the incest, did God create more than Adam and Eve? Or only two of them? If only two then all humans are result of incest?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: