http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 07:40:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mississippi Officially Ratifies 13th Amendment Banning Slavery  (Read 354 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:21:04 AM »

only took them 148 years  icon_lol

It only took 148 years, but the state of Mississippi has officially joined post-slavery America by submitting its papers to ratify the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery to the U.S. Archivist.

The state was the last to ratify the amendment, voting unanimously in 1995 to pass the fabled document abolishing slavery in the United States. But a clerical error resulted in the papers never being submitted to the Office of the Federal Register.

“Mississippi ratified the amendment in 1995, but because the state never officially notified the US Archivist, the ratification is not official,” one particularly concerned citizen had discovered while researching the amendment.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/mississippi-officially-ratifies-13th-amendment-banning-slavery-148-years-later/

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 05:32:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 19, 2013, 04:21:04 AM

only took them 148 years  icon_lol

It only took 148 years, but the state of Mississippi has officially joined post-slavery America by submitting its papers to ratify the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery to the U.S. Archivist.

The state was the last to ratify the amendment, voting unanimously in 1995 to pass the fabled document abolishing slavery in the United States. But a clerical error resulted in the papers never being submitted to the Office of the Federal Register.

“Mississippi ratified the amendment in 1995, but because the state never officially notified the US Archivist, the ratification is not official,” one particularly concerned citizen had discovered while researching the amendment.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/mississippi-officially-ratifies-13th-amendment-banning-slavery-148-years-later/

I like how the article tries to say the state ratified it a long time ago but a clerical error stopped it from being filed. That would be a good excuse if the clerical error happened in 1895 and NOT 1995.

How sad is it that it took the state until 1995 to ratify it!

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:54:33 PM »

There's some website that logs all the goofy laws that for some reason have never been removed from the books.  My favorite was an Illinois law that was obviously created when horses were still the primary form of transportation.  It calls for anyone driving a motorized vehicle to stop and disassemble their vehicle, then hide it in nearby brush if a horse is approaching them on the road.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 19, 2013, 05:54:33 PM

There's some website that logs all the goofy laws that for some reason have never been removed from the books.  My favorite was an Illinois law that was obviously created when horses were still the primary form of transportation.  It calls for anyone driving a motorized vehicle to stop and disassemble their vehicle, then hide it in nearby brush if a horse is approaching them on the road.

Wait, so you're telling me we don't have to do that anymore?!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »

Better late than never?

Quote from: wonderpug on February 19, 2013, 05:56:41 PM

Quote from: hepcat on February 19, 2013, 05:54:33 PM

There's some website that logs all the goofy laws that for some reason have never been removed from the books.  My favorite was an Illinois law that was obviously created when horses were still the primary form of transportation.  It calls for anyone driving a motorized vehicle to stop and disassemble their vehicle, then hide it in nearby brush if a horse is approaching them on the road.

Wait, so you're telling me we don't have to do that anymore?!

:snicker.  How you like them apples,  Wilbur?
/MrEd

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: