http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:35:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marijuana. Just watched a documentary.  (Read 8012 times)
brettmcd
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 07:53:11 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on August 24, 2013, 05:54:30 PM

Quote from: brettmcd on August 24, 2013, 05:11:45 PM

Because as soon as anyone answers you on anything, the goal posts move and you ask another nonsensical one line throwaway question.    You aren't worth answering.

Fair enough. You called me an idiot and I was just wondering if you'd explain why. I was just trying to get to the crux of the matter, but I can understand if you don't want to answer.

Ale

I would have no problems answering you if you could converse like a normal rational human being.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 08:23:10 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 24, 2013, 07:53:11 PM

Because as soon as anyone answers you on anything, the goal posts move and you ask another nonsensical one line throwaway question.    You aren't worth answering.

Fair enough. You called me an idiot and I was just wondering if you'd explain why. I was just trying to get to the crux of the matter, but I can understand if you don't want to answer.

Ale

I would have no problems answering you if you could converse like a normal rational human being.

What about my question?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 24, 2013, 07:52:04 PM

Quote from: msduncan on August 24, 2013, 07:30:43 PM

The only thing I'd like to see is (for both booze and pot) that if you get into a vehicle under the influence, the damned book is thrown at your head.

1000% agree with this, which is where there is an issue some people have, you can test for alcohol roadside (breathalyzer) but not for pot.    And before someone comes in and try to claim it, no you don't drive just fine stoned.

Here's the main difference- Someone who drinks more than one or two beers, or even several beers generally doesn't have a good level of self-awareness as to their impairment. Someone who's smoked a lot of pot generally IS, and hence wouldn't get behind the wheel. I think a good data point for this would be the amount of accidents attributed to each. I guarantee there is a VAST gulf. And before someone says "well that's because you can't detect it" I sincerely doubt that gulf would be bridged significantly if it were easily detectable.

Beer and pot affect the brain in two completely different ways. Keep that in mind.

Mike Dunn
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »

Well that didn't take long.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 24, 2013, 08:31:16 PM

Well that didn't take long.

Actually, I didn't say "you don't drive just fine stoned"

Mike Dunn
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2013, 08:44:58 PM »

But here, have some look at actual research done on the matter:

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Misc/driving/s1p2.htm

This report concerns the effects of marijuana smoking on actual driving performance. … This program of research has shown that marijuana, when taken alone, produces a moderate degree of driving impairment which is related to consumed THC dose. The impairment manifests itself mainly in the ability to maintain a lateral position on the road, but its magnitude is not exceptional in comparison with changes produced by many medicinal drugs and alcohol. Drivers under the influence of marijuana retain insight in their performance and will compensate when they can, for example, by slowing down or increasing effort. As a consequence, THC’s adverse effects on driving performance appear relatively small.
or this:

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/26000/26600/26685/DOT_HS_808_065.pdf

Blood specimens were collected from a sample of 1,882 drivers from 7 states, during 14 months in the years 1990 and 1991. The sample comprised operators of passenger cars, trucks, and motorcycles who died within 4 hours of their crash.

… While cannabinoids were detected in 7 percent of the drivers, the psychoactive agent THC was found in only 4 percent. … The THC-only drivers had a responsibility rate below that of the drugfree drivers. … While the difference was not statistically significant, there was no indication that cannabis by itself was a cause of fatal crashes.

Mike Dunn
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »

And as I said, that didn't take long.   I am sure lots of people who drink just one or two drinks don't think it affects their driving at all, and they drive more carefully when they have been drinking.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 24, 2013, 08:50:39 PM

And as I said, that didn't take long.   I am sure lots of people who drink just one or two drinks don't think it affects their driving at all, and they drive more carefully when they have been drinking.

You're creating equivalence where there is none. You're also completely ignoring scientific evidence. I'd post more findings here but you're obviously just going to ignore them, much like you aren't even reading or comprehending what I am saying.

Also, you still didn't answer my question

Mike Dunn
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2013, 09:20:02 PM »

There was a question in all this idiocy you just posted about how driving while stoned could never be a problem for anyone?
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 24, 2013, 09:20:02 PM

There was a question in all this idiocy you just posted about how driving while stoned could never be a problem for anyone?

Why didn't you just pretend you read it and answer anyway? That seems to be what you're doing in this thread.

Mike Dunn
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 24, 2013, 07:53:11 PM

Ale

Yeah, actually, never mind. I realized I don't care why you think that.

AAle
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2013, 01:24:54 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on August 24, 2013, 08:29:15 PM

The only thing I'd like to see is (for both booze and pot) that if you get into a vehicle under the influence, the damned book is thrown at your head.

1000% agree with this, which is where there is an issue some people have, you can test for alcohol roadside (breathalyzer) but not for pot.    And before someone comes in and try to claim it, no you don't drive just fine stoned.

Here's the main difference- Someone who drinks more than one or two beers, or even several beers generally doesn't have a good level of self-awareness as to their impairment. Someone who's smoked a lot of pot generally IS, and hence wouldn't get behind the wheel. I think a good data point for this would be the amount of accidents attributed to each. I guarantee there is a VAST gulf. And before someone says "well that's because you can't detect it" I sincerely doubt that gulf would be bridged significantly if it were easily detectable.

Beer and pot affect the brain in two completely different ways. Keep that in mind.

If I'm reading this right -- we can still throw the book at their head if they get behind the wheel stoned.    The difference is that not as many will because they will realize they are impaired.    The ones that do will be asshats.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2013, 02:06:34 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 25, 2013, 01:24:54 AM

If I'm reading this right -- we can still throw the book at their head if they get behind the wheel stoned.    The difference is that not as many will because they will realize they are impaired.    The ones that do will be asshats.

Yup.

Mike Dunn
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2013, 03:39:08 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on August 25, 2013, 02:06:34 AM

Quote from: msduncan on August 25, 2013, 01:24:54 AM

Yup.

Medical marijuana laws save lives on the road

Let me know if that link is paywalled; as a Globe subscriber I'm never sure how much of these links the hoi poloi can see. The nut graph:

A team of economists who specialize in health and risk behaviors looked at the link between marijuana laws and traffic deaths, and found that roadway fatalities dropped significantly in states after they legalized medical marijuana. On average, deaths dropped 8 to 11 percent in the first full year after the law went into effect, and fell 10 to 13 percent by year four.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2013, 04:33:44 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 24, 2013, 03:22:55 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 24, 2013, 02:02:39 PM

So let me get this straight, something that is mood altering ( and mind altering ) that causes a chemical reaction in your body, can make you act stupid, is dangerous to do while driving and is allegedly addicting, makes it fully acceptable for the government to make it illegal?  Well then its time to outlaw sexual activilty!  Sex can even lead to death and insanity!  Quick, call your congressman right away!

Has anyone in this thread said that it should be illegal?    I haven't seen anyone so who the hell are you arguing with here?   

I wasnt arguing, I was making an analogy.  It was done partly in humor. Clearly I dont think the government should outlaw sexual activity.   As far as your question "Has anyone in this thread said that it should be illegal?"  No, no one has said sex should be illegal.

I did ask earlier if the fact that marijuana being illegal was your motivation behind calling people who use the drug recreationally, idiots.  Several times you have been asked why youre calling people idiots and you have yet to explain. I was just asking if legality was your issue. I am quite interested in why you believe several millions of people are idiots.  Especially when the people you consider idiots consist of world class scientists, ex presidents, captains of industry, accomplished artists and quite frankly people from every walk of life. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2013, 04:44:56 AM »

You plainly don't bother reading what I post, as I have said multiple times I don't think it should be illegal as people have the right to be idiots.    And yes I think people who recreationally use mind altering drugs just to get high are idiots, but it has nothing to do with legality as I feel the same way about alcohol and people who smoke tobacco (even if that isn't something people use to get high).

So before you whine about what someone has posted, at least bother to read it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2013, 04:52:35 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 25, 2013, 04:44:56 AM

You plainly don't bother reading what I post, as I have said multiple times I don't think it should be illegal as people have the right to be idiots.    And yes I think people who recreationally use mind altering drugs just to get high are idiots, but it has nothing to do with legality as I feel the same way about alcohol and people who smoke tobacco (even if that isn't something people use to get high).

That's funny, I feel the same way about people who are overweight.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 25, 2013, 04:52:35 AM

But aren't you just getting in shape (I could be wrong)? You're not one of those, I fixed myself so now I have disdain for anyone who is like I once was are you?  Don't forget where you came from.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 10:58:14 AM »

ATB, saying anything about over weight people is one of Brett's melt down issues.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 25, 2013, 08:58:42 AM

Quote from: Teggy on August 25, 2013, 04:52:35 AM

But aren't you just getting in shape (I could be wrong)? You're not one of those, I fixed myself so now I have disdain for anyone who is like I once was are you?  Don't forget where you came from.

He is just trying to be a troll.    But an overweight person can lose weight, idiocy like his is forever.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »

I'm just pointing out how trollish this response of bretts is since you can easily substitute weight gain for pot use here.

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 25, 2013, 01:18:21 PM

I'm just pointing out how trollish this response of bretts is since you can easily substitute weight gain for pot use here.

That you actually think of them as the same thing shows how much of an idiot you are.   But keep on trolling I guess.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »

Probably should be a different thread, but why you would think that being overweight is not a choice for the overwhelming majority of people, just like pot use, is beyond me. The evidence is very clear.

But keep calling me names, it's very effective.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »

You plainly don't bother reading what I post, as I have said multiple times I don't think it should be illegal as people have the right to be idiots.    And yes I think people who recreationally use mind altering drugs just to get high are idiots, but it has nothing to do with legality as I feel the same way about alcohol and people who smoke tobacco (even if that isn't something people use to get high).

So before you whine about what someone has posted, at least bother to read it.

I did read what you posted.  I and several others have asked WHY you believe people who use recreational drugs are idiots.  I did not whine, I asked a question.  I did not ask if you thought it should be illegal, I asked if the fact of its illegality was the reason you felt users were idiots.  Try a exercising little reading comprehension before you reply, it would really help, especially if youre going to slam others.  So I will ask you now, point blank.   We know you dont think it should be illegal so quit using that as a dodge to avoid answering the real question.  How can you justify calling millions upon millions of people idiots for using recreational drugs?  What are the reasons you feel they are idiots?  You have stated repeatedly that you believe they are idiots, we just want to know why you believe that.  

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:53:04 PM by rshetts2 » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2013, 01:57:19 PM »

Because he wants to get a rise out of you, the same purpose for 90% of his posts on GT.

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2013, 02:18:57 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 25, 2013, 01:57:19 PM

Because he wants to get a rise out of you, the same purpose for 90% of his posts on GT.

This is amusing coming from the person who has done nothing but troll in this thread and has added not one single thing to the discussion.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 25, 2013, 02:18:57 PM

This is amusing coming from the person who has done nothing but troll in this thread and has added not one single thing to the discussion.

Is it really trolling if I'm calling you out for trolling?  Ooh, that's deep.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2013, 02:55:16 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on August 25, 2013, 04:33:44 AM

No, no one has said sex should be illegal.

Sex while driving, however, probably is illegal.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2013, 02:59:28 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on August 25, 2013, 02:49:49 PM

So saying drugs should be legal, but I think its a stupid choice to use drugs to get high, in a discussion about drugs and if they should be legal, is trolling?   Not in any sane definition.   Now you bringing up totally unrelated things like weight to the issue just to try and get another poster upset, that is pretty much a definition of trolling.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 25, 2013, 02:59:28 PM

Quote from: Teggy on August 25, 2013, 02:49:49 PM

So saying drugs should be legal, but I think its a stupid choice to use drugs to get high, in a discussion about drugs and if they should be legal, is trolling?   Not in any sane definition.   Now you bringing up totally unrelated things like weight to the issue just to try and get another poster upset, that is pretty much a definition of trolling.

No, posting a certain type of people are idiots and then waiting 5 posts before giving a reason why, and having a post history of calling people names and acting unduly offended when certain topics are brought up, that is the definition of trolling.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2013, 03:19:08 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 25, 2013, 02:55:16 PM

Definitely should be legal.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on August 25, 2013, 03:19:08 PM

And/or mandatory.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 11:46:19 PM »

The conversation has completely lost me.

First, I think people bristling at someone calling someone else an idiot is ridiculous and just another reason to pile on to someone who's posting style you don't agree with.

Two, as far as I can tell, Brett didn't do anything wrong in this thread until you guys baited him.  He stated an opinion and even attempted to respond to Ale's silly question about recreation. He then asked a legit question and Ale responded with silliness again.  Maybe I'm not aware of Brett's posting history, but dogging someone throughout a thread where he's done nothing wrong reeks of lynch mob mentality.  At least Fool engaged in dialogue and discussion. Then admittedly, Brett goes off the rails a bit. Then Teg, completely contrary to character, pops in the thread just to bait too (I'm not familiar with the weight jab either...)

Troll a troll when a troll is acting trollish.  Trolling someone you think is a troll when they are not being one is just being an ass.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2013, 11:56:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on August 25, 2013, 10:27:41 PM

Quote from: msduncan on August 25, 2013, 03:19:08 PM

And/or mandatory.

with this country it would probably be both illegal and mandatory.  Goddamn Obama.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2013, 12:00:04 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 25, 2013, 02:59:28 PM

So saying drugs should be legal, but I think its a stupid choice to use drugs to get high, in a discussion about drugs and if they should be legal, is trolling?   

No, saying that you think its a stupid choice to use drugs to get high is not trolling, its an opinion.  But then thats not what you said, is it?  You said "you are a complete and total idiot if you use drugs"  Now thats not an opinion, its an insult and is the very definition of trolling.
 I have no problem with you thinking people are making a stupid choice by using drugs recreationally. Right or wrong, thats your opinion and youre entitled to that.  I do have an issue with your insulting and degrading comments.
 You are not, in any way, an authority on what is right or wrong when it comes to recreational drug use.  Instead of defending your position with facts and logic, you choose to further insult and degrade people who disagree with you. When you're presented with factual evidence that does not support your beliefs, you either ignore the evidence all together or once again, fall back on insults.  Its those actions that get you labelled as a troll.  

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2013, 01:20:54 AM »

Actually no they don't.

In a recent preliminary study, the professors enlisted 14 students -- all recreational marijuana users -- and tested them both when they were stoned and when they were soused. (Recruiting subjects for the marijuana and alcohol studies doesn't require much work. The lab doesn't even advertise, but as soon as word of the study got out, volunteers came rushing in.) The students were tested for physiological strain and driving performance as they drove through rural communities and desert scenes, and past roadblocks and pedestrians. One group smoked low and high doses of THC. Another downed vodka and "orange drink" cocktails to reach Israel's legal limit of .05 percent blood alcohol content. Others took a placebo.

None of the doped-up or drinking drivers were models of safety on the road. They tended to switch lane positions, swerve, and vary their steering. But the THC cigarette smokers drove significantly slower than the liquored-up subjects, who zoomed down the virtual lanes. The drinking drivers also tended to be confident and boast a sense of control, while the pot smokers seem to be "more aware of their impairment."

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2009-05/who-drives-better-drunks-or-stoners

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »

I am not sure about drug users or fat people, but people who use AOL are most certainly idiots.

ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2013, 01:33:36 AM »

Quote from: Rip on August 26, 2013, 01:28:32 AM

I am not sure about drug users or fat people, but people who use AOL are most certainly idiots.

is nothing sacred anymore?   crybaby

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2013, 01:57:21 AM »

Quote from: Rip on August 26, 2013, 01:20:54 AM

Actually no they don't.

In a recent preliminary study, the professors enlisted 14 students -- all recreational marijuana users -- and tested them both when they were stoned and when they were soused. (Recruiting subjects for the marijuana and alcohol studies doesn't require much work. The lab doesn't even advertise, but as soon as word of the study got out, volunteers came rushing in.) The students were tested for physiological strain and driving performance as they drove through rural communities and desert scenes, and past roadblocks and pedestrians. One group smoked low and high doses of THC. Another downed vodka and "orange drink" cocktails to reach Israel's legal limit of .05 percent blood alcohol content. Others took a placebo.

None of the doped-up or drinking drivers were models of safety on the road. They tended to switch lane positions, swerve, and vary their steering. But the THC cigarette smokers drove significantly slower than the liquored-up subjects, who zoomed down the virtual lanes. The drinking drivers also tended to be confident and boast a sense of control, while the pot smokers seem to be "more aware of their impairment."

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2009-05/who-drives-better-drunks-or-stoners

Exactly.

Mike Dunn
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2013, 02:52:56 AM »

So everyone should just drive stoned I guess, as its so much safer then any other way of driving I guess.    Thanks for the info everyone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: