http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 11:58:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LA Clippers Owner Guy  (Read 944 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2014, 06:39:13 PM »

So he's a racist and got caught saying as much in a secretly recorded conversation.  Now he's banned for life from the NBA.  Didn't rape. Didn't murder. Expressed his privately held views in a private conversation.

Seems like a thought crime to me. 

Larry Johnson of the Knicks said there should be a blacks only league.  Is he the next to be banned?

MegaDeth said it best 'Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away.'

And here we are.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »

The ban was an internal business decision by the NBA to not have a known, outspoken racist as a key representative their brand.  I can't bring myself to get too worked up over that.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »

The following comment is not directed at ATB.  To my knowledge, he has never expressed the beliefs referenced below.

I find it fascinating that, when topics like Affirmative Action, the Equal Rights Amendment, the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, or even articles of the Civil Rights Act are raised, Conservatives talk about their boundless faith in how the Invisible Hand of the Free Market would smooth away all forms of social discrimination if only all those burdensome legal protections were out of the way.

When the Very Material Hand of the Free Market comes around and smacks the hell out of some fantastically wealthy guy for spewing such toxic prejudices that there's a huge social and economic backlash, however, suddenly those same Conservatives are vocally upset that there are free market repercussions for his behavior.  "Intolerance of his intolerance is the worst intolerance of all!"

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:51:57 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 29, 2014, 07:36:12 PM

The following comment is not directed at ATB.  To my knowledge, he has never expressed the beliefs referenced below.

I find it fascinating that, when topics like Affirmative Action, the Equal Rights Amendment, the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, or even articles of the Civil Rights Act are raised, Conservatives talk about their boundless faith in how the Invisible Hand of the Free Market would smooth away all forms of social discrimination if only all those burdensome legal protections were out of the way.

When the Very Material Hand of the Free Market comes around and smacks the hell out of some fantastically wealthy guy for spewing such toxic prejudices that there's a huge social and economic backlash, however, suddenly those same Conservatives are vocally upset that there are free market repercussions for his behavior.  "Intolerance of his intolerance is the worst intolerance of all!"

-Autistic Angel

This is true - thought "crime" implies he broke a law. No such thing happened here. A private business made a private decision that they felt was in their best interest.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 29, 2014, 07:00:28 PM

The ban was an internal business decision by the NBA to not have a known, outspoken racist as a key representative their brand.  I can't bring myself to get too worked up over that.

That's how I feel. Doesn't matter that it's not a crime, that it was a private conversation, etc. He represents a brand, he brought negative light on that brand, so they took care of it. I wouldn't expect anything less from any other business that cares about the reputation of its brand.

Not sure what this has to do with conservative racists either. Guess people are going to use this to try to work their agendas. Fox and MSNBC are going to be having field days tonight.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:25:17 PM by Lee » Logged
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 11:50:57 PM »

The ban was an internal business decision by the NBA to not have a known, outspoken racist as a key representative their brand.  I can't bring myself to get too worked up over that.

Totally agree.  This really isn't any different than Marge Schott in mid to late 90's.     Baseball banned her from day to day operations and she sold the team a year or two later. Some of her statements were public and not made in private.  In the end it doesn't matter where they were made as soon as they are out in the open it reflects poorly on the NBA as a whole.  They had no choice but make an example out of him. Given his history, I cant believe too many people are surprised that he is a racist. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 11:53:36 PM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on April 29, 2014, 11:50:57 PM

Totally agree.  This really isn't any different than Marge Schott in mid to late 90's.     Baseball banned her from day to day operations and she sold the team a year or two later. Some of her statements were public and not made in private.  In the end it doesn't matter where they were made as soon as they are out in the open it reflects poorly on the NBA as a whole.  They had no choice but make an example out of him. Given his history, I cant believe too many people are surprised that he is a racist. 

Samesies. Just like the Mozilla Prop 8 CEO. Turns out being a bigot or racist is bad for you if discovered. Who knew?

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »

I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »

thumbsup
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 10:28:02 PM »

I haven't been following very closely but, this man does realize that his girlfriend/mistress is black, right?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 12:15:08 AM »

Now they are saying she's not his girlfriend, just an employee. They being she.

Regardless, people have said that it fits the racist mentality, that minorities are good for labor and sex.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 02:39:56 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 01, 2014, 12:15:08 AM

Now they are saying she's not his girlfriend, just an employee. They being she.

Well in the tape, he does tell her that he doesn't care if she f***s "them". Call me cynical, but I am betting when an 80 year old man has a girlfriend like that, she's in it for the money. So yeah, he's paying her like an employee.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 07:10:23 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 29, 2014, 07:36:12 PM

-Autistic Angel

Careful with that big ass brush you are using. I am conservative on a wide number of things. I am however fully supportive of the NBA kicking that douchebag to the curb.

There is no room for those kind of beliefs anymore. If I was involved in a business that he was also involved in I would also want him gone and if he wasn't I would strongly consider leaving the business in protest.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »

and in reponse  Larry Johnson calls for an all African-American league, but somehow he isn't a racist. What would happen if Brett Favre called for an all white football league? Jesse Jackson would be on Brett's front lawn, frothing at the mouth, feeding off of the event like the parasite that he is.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 11:59:04 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 01, 2014, 10:36:39 AM

and in reponse  Larry Johnson calls for an all African-American league, but somehow he isn't a racist. What would happen if Brett Favre called for an all white football league? Jesse Jackson would be on Brett's front lawn, frothing at the mouth, feeding off of the event like the parasite that he is.

No one who mattered would care what Favre was calling for and he would be ignored. Exactly what will happen with Larry Johnson. Sure some news outlets will jump on the bandwagon just for controversy, but that's about as far as it's going.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:31:12 PM by Lee » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »

Don't they usually have some level of morality clause in contracts these days?

Also, freedom on speech means the government can't come after you and arrest you for saying something non-threatening. It's still not freedom on consequences on a personal of even business level.

And yeah, trying to use a black mistress, not girlfriend or close loving spouse, is like those racists that try to say they're not racists because they have a black friend.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 11:26:59 AM by Turtle » Logged
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 01:03:50 AM »

The stories about Sterling that are coming out are just hilarious.  The guy has had problems with mistresses before and the same thing has happened to them:  the wife sues them for taking advantage of her husband and they go away.  Although this time they messed with someone with even less scruples than themselves.

There are no good guys in this tale.  Only greedy old racists and greedy young gold diggers.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:28:58 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »

^^ What he said  thumbsup
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 02:54:35 AM »

As punishment the clippers are being sold to Steve ballmer for 2 billion. Not a typo.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 03:28:21 AM »

His douchebaggery is no justification to seize his his assets.  The team and accouterments are still worth money, and what the market will bear for them. 

His real punishment is the social stigma and the fact that he'll never be allowed to own a national-level sports franchise again.  He's no longer famous for being a rich dude with a team, he's now famous for being a rich racist that used to own a team.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 30, 2014, 03:28:21 AM

His douchebaggery is no justification to seize his his assets. 

Legally, it is.  The NBA is an organization that grants owners the right to be owners.  They can also take that right away if they feel someone has broken any rules of conduct.  Sterling is bound by the NBA's constitution that he signed upon buying the team.  This gives the NBA rather broad rights to determine whether or not someone should be allowed to be a team owner.

Now, whether or not it's morally right is another question.  The bimbo did illegally record his conversations and usually that's dismissible in a court of law.  But this is playing out in the public arena of opinion more so than a court of law.  

In any case, a racist bully (seriously, this guy has a history of just being a really unlikeable guy) losing his basketball team isn't going to give me any cause for concern.  However, if this was outside the confines of the NBA (or any other organization that demanded owners adhere to a legally binding document that they themselves had signed) I would be bothered.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »

My choice of the word "seize" was meant to mean the removal of his ownership without any compensation.  They certainly have the right to remove him as owner.  They do not have the right to take it away and deprive him of the financial assets to which he has paid a stake.

The NBA Constitution does not allow for forfeiture without compensation. (PDF, Article 14A: CONSEQUENCES OF TERMINATION)

(c) All proceeds from any transfer of a Member’s Membership or the liquidation of its Player Contracts and other assets, or of an Owner’s interest in a Member, shall be applied first to discharge the liabilities and obligations to all creditors of the Member (or Owner), including the Association and its Members but excluding any Owner of the Member, second to discharge the liabilities and obligations to any Owner of the Member, and any balance shall be remitted to the Member (or Owner). The existence or implementation of this Article 14A shall not impose upon the Association or any of its Members any requirement to provide funds to any Member (or Owner) or any liability for any debts or obligations of any Member (or Owner).

If the "bimbo's" assertion is correct, and I haven't heard it challenged, that she was hired as his archivist and was directed by him to record his conversations, then it's not dismissible, as all parties were in agreement, which meets the requirement under California, or any state's laws.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:07:42 PM by Isgrimnur » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »

If Ballmer moves the team after saying he wouldn't, would LA hate him as much as hate Bennett?  And would they add a no-move clause to the agreement

also, I feel like I posted this before.  And that 'Grim responded about how a no-move clause would likely not be agreed on in the binding agreement that Ballmer signed.  Either I'm reading posts from the future or I'm dreaming of reality again.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 04:16:51 PM »

Ah, I assumed you were talking about forcing him to sell.    I wasn't aware there was even a discussion about simply seizing and selling his assets without compensation.

p.s. no need for quotes around the word bimbo.  I think it's been proven by this point that she fits the description.  Although being in your 20's and schtupping an 80 year old rich guy is enough for most folks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:18:45 PM by hepcat » Logged

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »

My comment was based around leo's comment about the sale, which I interpreted to take issue with the idea that he'd end up richer through his ouster.

I prefer golddigger.  It implies a level of machinations that I don't normally attribute to a bimbo.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 30, 2014, 04:24:19 PM

My comment was based around leo's comment about the sale, which I interpreted to take issue with the idea that he'd end up richer through his ouster.

I prefer golddigger.  It implies a level of machinations that I don't normally attribute to a bimbo.

I don't take issue with it, I just thought he's not really being punished at all.  I didn't think ahead to seizing of assets etc, merely that who cares about the rest, he's 80 and 2 billion dollars richer.  I'm sure he's not crying to sleep at night.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »

The NBA has done everything to him that it can.  It's taken away his team and banned him from setting foot in any location associated with the team.  Socially, he's a pariah.  The other owners want nothing to do with him.  He was certainly in tears while attempting to salvage his public reputation on Anderson Cooper's show.  He very well might be crying himself to sleep at night.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »

He seemed less about regret and more about trying to tell everyone "Hey, I'm not so bad...look at Magic Johnson!"

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »

Oh, I don't think for a second that he went on that show out of any real feeling of remorse. Anger, pain, and butthurt to the nth degree, but not remorse.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 10:01:13 PM »

Sterling is now counter-suing the NBA for one...billion...dollars

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »

Billionaires and millionaires fighting is a lawyer's wet dream.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 11:52:04 PM »

Reports are that the reason that the wife can make the sale is that Donald has been declared non compus mentis by two different neurologists by dint of his Alzheimer's.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »

His attempts to legally have his named changed to Doctor Evil and asking that the United States remove the dozen or so rectal probes he feels they inserted into him while he was a Long John Silver's last month isn't helping his case.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: