http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 02:16:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kids say the darndest things...  (Read 964 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:18:13 PM »

So, I work with a guy who's a staunch tea party member.  I get along with him because I avoid getting into political discussions with him.  Work and politics, that's a bad combo.  

However, he friended me on facebook soon after I started with the company.  Not knowing any better, I accepted (saying no would've been kind of rude, I believed).  After about the 37th status update that found its way to my facebook update page detailing how Obama was evil, the liberals were trying to destroy the country and how guns should be mandatory for every citizen, I set up a filter so I wouldn't see them anymore.

Before I did so though, I noticed that his 10 year old son was spouting an awful lot of the same rhetoric as his father in the replies to these updates on his dad's page...and I mean a lot.  

Flash foward to this week.  My coworker informs me that his son (now 12) is being suspended yet again because he's been acting up.  I ask what he's been doing and he informs that it was all bullshit.  He's been bullying some kids he feels are "inferior" (the kid's words, I guess).  Then he tells me that his son was also telling his teachers that some of the text books they were using in class couldn't be trusted because they were written by Muslims.  Then he laughed while regaling me about how his son was chastised for telling another kid to "stop acting like a chink".

I'm flabbergasted because he seems genuinely amused by these actions.  Of course he's upset that his son is being punished, but he seems to feel the kid is just being precocious.  

I know he loves his kids, but how could he possibly feel that he's not failing as a parent right now?  

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:19:49 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »

Probably because the kid is just saying things that he believes/would say.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »

I realize now that he's a bigot at heart, but as an adult he's been able to act appropriately in public.  But kids don't have that level of maturity by dint of being kids.  I guess I just can't wrap my mind around someone being confronted with this and not realizing that they need to change their ways for the sake of their kids.  

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 14, 2014, 07:06:12 PM

I realize now that he's a bigot at heart, but as an adult he's been able to act appropriately in public.  But kids don't have that level of maturity by dint of being kids.  I guess I just can't wrap my mind around someone being confronted with this and not realizing that they need to change their ways for the sake of their kids.  

Because in his mind, there's nothing wrong with his kid's actions.  I'd be willing to be he's secretly proud of his kid for "standing up to liberals/Obama/the boogeyman/whatever". 

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:16:58 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 14, 2014, 07:06:12 PM

I realize now that he's a bigot at heart, but as an adult he's been able to act appropriately in public.  But kids don't have that level of maturity by dint of being kids.  I guess I just can't wrap my mind around someone being confronted with this and not realizing that they need to change their ways for the sake of their kids. 

Based on what you've described, I'm willing to bet your coworker views these confrontations with teachers and minorities as evidence that he's raising his kid in exactly the right way.  His son is going to grow up knowing that he'll never need to take any crap from them ivory tower intellectuals or semi-American welfare recipients.

This does not mean his son his a lost cause, however.  He might continue running down this path of prideful ignorance and racial hatreds, or the reactions from his school and his community might gradually inspire him to change his ways.  It could be a teacher or a football coach or the parent of a friend, but if the right people get through to him, he may well grow up to be a completely different man than his father.

-Autistic Angel
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 02:19:01 AM »

The nut doesn't fall far from the tree. Ultimately the kid's peers will be a bigger influence than his father (for better or for worse). At age 12 he is just on the cusp of finding his own beliefs.

One of my nephews went through something like this on Facebook a couple of years ago -- copying and forwarding crap from all over the political and moral spectrum without any apparent awareness of the contradictions. He was just trying on all kinds of beliefs from all the influences in his life. He gradually settled into a reasonably consistent persona, although he still puts on airs for some of his friends.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 14, 2014, 06:18:13 PM

So, I work with a guy who's a staunch tea party member.  I get along with him because I avoid getting into political discussions with him.  Work and politics, that's a bad combo.  

However, he friended me on facebook soon after I started with the company.  Not knowing any better, I accepted (saying no would've been kind of rude, I believed).  After about the 37th status update that found its way to my facebook update page detailing how Obama was evil, the liberals were trying to destroy the country and how guns should be mandatory for every citizen, I set up a filter so I wouldn't see them anymore.

Before I did so though, I noticed that his 10 year old son was spouting an awful lot of the same rhetoric as his father in the replies to these updates on his dad's page...and I mean a lot.  

Flash foward to this week.  My coworker informs me that his son (now 12) is being suspended yet again because he's been acting up.  I ask what he's been doing and he informs that it was all bullshit.  He's been bullying some kids he feels are "inferior" (the kid's words, I guess).  Then he tells me that his son was also telling his teachers that some of the text books they were using in class couldn't be trusted because they were written by Muslims.  Then he laughed while regaling me about how his son was chastised for telling another kid to "stop acting like a chink".

I'm flabbergasted because he seems genuinely amused by these actions.  Of course he's upset that his son is being punished, but he seems to feel the kid is just being precocious.  

I know he loves his kids, but how could he possibly feel that he's not failing as a parent right now?  

Not the right answer, but...It sounds like they are two individuals that need the shit beat out of them. You know, to reset their moral compass.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »

It mortifies me the things I hear people teach their kids nowadays.   Harpua is right on needing a reset, but man...what if these people had no moral compass to begin with?  I've heard more racism since Obama got elected even from within my own extended family.  I heard the "stop the takers" horseshit from my own father in law.  His daughter?  Disabled by a goddamned moron who hit her stopped car while driving WAY past the speed limit.  She gets disability because she'll likely never work again.  At one point in our life it was the only thing that kept the lights on after we had cut literally everything else out of our budget. When we start citing specifics he said "we shouldn't make it personal".   How the hell are these things not personal?    If somebody gets cancer and goes through an entire battery of treatments and gets handed a $98,000 bill how is that not a devistating life event?  Why shouldn't they have insurance?  How are they "takers" for not wanting something out of their control to not destroy their family?  Politics absolutely disgust me over the last 15 years.  Corporations as people +  "People" now suddenly able to give unlimited amounts to campaigns = candidates bought and paid for in the open.   Horrible...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »

To me it seems this is coming back in a bad way. Older folks were raised that way and it seemed like we were getting away from that with my generation. Then, BAM! a whole new generation of racist, selfish little fuckers were born. Not a fan at all. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 11:33:15 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 11, 2014, 07:47:59 PM

To me it seems this is coming back in a bad way. Older folks were raised that way and it seemed like we were getting away from that with my generation. Then, BAM! a whole new generation of racist, selfish little fuckers were born. Not a fan at all. 

Welcome to Generation Donald Sterling!!!

So btw, what exactly entails "acting like a chink"?  I've been called a "chink" before but never heard the phrase used that way.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 07:34:44 PM »

You got me.  Although I just assumed it meant he was beating my coworker's son in aptitude tests.

Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 01:36:13 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 12, 2014, 11:33:15 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 11, 2014, 07:47:59 PM

Welcome to Generation Donald Sterling!!!

So btw, what exactly entails "acting like a chink"?  I've been called a "chink" before but never heard the phrase used that way.

Dunno, the only saying I remember is "Chinky chinky chinamen settin on a fence trying to make a dollar out of forty-nine cents"
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »

I have never heard that saying.  It's oddly specific and sounds like something a 2 year old would come up with.   icon_confused

Although I guess that's the origin behind many racist mantras.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:29:59 PM by hepcat » Logged

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 06:44:44 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 19, 2014, 04:28:19 PM

I have never heard that saying.  It's oddly specific and sounds like something a 2 year old would come up with.   icon_confused

Although I guess that's the origin behind many racist mantras.

We have a winner! It's the same as my dad's better than yours! Just with a, racist spin. People, if weren't so harmful, really could be funny.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »

Well, on a whim, I checked out that father's facebook page this morning.  No less than 3 posts comparing Hillary Clinton and Obama to Hitler, and two posts that refer to the Ferguson protestors as "zoo animals".   thumbsdown

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: