http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 07:24:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [USA] SHUTDOWN SHUTDOWN!!!!!! Sequel is in the works, slated for Q1 2014 release  (Read 11106 times)
raydude
Gaming Trend Senior Member

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 09, 2013, 04:00:06 PM

Quote from: Gratch on October 09, 2013, 03:41:06 PM

Quote from: Rip on October 09, 2013, 02:51:11 PM

You wouldn't even need that. The republicans have tried to take the approach of sending on the stuff everyone can agree on so it can be whittled down to budget areas where there are differences. That was not acceptable to Reid/Obama. They fear loosing leverage for the stuff they know wouldn't get through. Both sides are more worried about getting their less popular pet issues through than the most important meat items that neither one dares oppose.

Right. Because that's how a government should be budgeted and run. Defund everything, then refund things one at a time in a knee-jerk fashion, based on whatever the media happens to focus on.

Well in some ways that would be better then the current dem plan.   Do everything you can to make the current shutdown as painful as possible for as many people as possible as a political game to put pressure on the other party until you get what you want.

When is a shutdown not a shutdown? When it doesn't affect your pet agency. Republicans wanted a shutdown. They'll get a shutdown.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2013, 06:28:50 PM »

Yes they did get a shutdown, and the dems want the shutdown to hurt as many people as possible for political gain.   So they are both getting what they want right now.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 09, 2013, 06:28:50 PM

Yes they did get a shutdown, and the dems want the shutdown to hurt as many people as possible for political gain.   So they are both getting what they want right now.

How does the shutdown hurting as many people as possible give the Dems more political gain?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 09, 2013, 06:39:25 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 09, 2013, 06:36:01 PM

How does the shutdown hurting as many people as possible give the Dems more political gain?

I think the idea is that by shutting more down than is really necessary, Dems are making the shutdown more painful just for the sake of making people angrier at the Repubs.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »

Gosh, it's almost like there are real-world consequences to shutting down the government!

But we all know that can't be the case, since every federal employee is a worthless leech that contributes nothing to our society at large.

(am I doing that right?)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 09, 2013, 03:39:37 PM

Quote from: Purge on October 09, 2013, 01:47:06 PM

So, uhm, standing in the shadow of a giant is alright, as long as it doesn't fall in your direction. Could you guys just decide to open up and take your medicine? It doesn't taste *that* bad.

I hear it tastes like Canadian strawberry syrup....

I know what that is in reference to.

EWWWWW.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »

Yes they did get a shutdown, and the dems want the shutdown to hurt as many people as possible for political gain.   So they are both getting what they want right now.

That's similar to how Liberals were manipulating polling data leading up to the 2012 election to make it appear like Barack Obama would win a decisive victory, when Conservatives knew it was a dead heat and Mitt Romney was poised to land a massive upset.

Or before that, when Liberals were manipulating the Bureau of Labor Statistics' jobs numbers to make it appear that fictitious jobs were being created to make Obama look good.

Or before that, when Liberals were trying to scare everyone about how Republican threats to default on our nation's debt could have terrible consequences on our borrowing power, and then had the country's credit rating lowered just to prove their point.

Or before that, when Liberals in the mainstream media refused to investigate the terrible secrets behind Obama's forged birth certificate, the FEMA concentration camps, the ObamaCare Death Panels....

It's fascinating that every time right-wing rhetoric is proven unambiguously false, it's not because their fundamental world view is warped beyond any semblance of reality -- it's because a shadowy cabal of Liberals have re-sewn the fabric of reality itself to make Conservatives *seem* like blithering, reactionary liars.

-Autistic Angel
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2013, 09:48:07 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 09, 2013, 06:50:05 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 09, 2013, 03:39:37 PM

Quote from: Purge on October 09, 2013, 01:47:06 PM

So, uhm, standing in the shadow of a giant is alright, as long as it doesn't fall in your direction. Could you guys just decide to open up and take your medicine? It doesn't taste *that* bad.

I hear it tastes like Canadian strawberry syrup....

I know what that is in reference to.

EWWWWW.
so do I. 

biggrin 

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2013, 11:28:17 PM »

Yes they did get a shutdown, and the dems want the shutdown to hurt as many people as possible for political gain.

No, we don't. How do we gain politically from it? This insanity is not doing anything to help the member of Congress I'm most concerned with (other than the historic polling collapse for the GOP, I guess... but that's hardly worth this cost). There is a bill in the hopper of the House, passed and engrossed by the Senate, which the Speaker could put on the floor any day with two hours notice. It would pass. The shutdown would end.

Why is he prolonging the shutdown by not doing so?

Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2013, 11:44:10 PM »

Because he likes being speaker and the extremist faction within the Republican party has just enough pull to potentially strip him of that. Though something tells me he hates being in this position right now.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2013, 11:52:32 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 09, 2013, 03:41:06 PM

Quote from: Rip on October 09, 2013, 02:51:11 PM

You wouldn't even need that. The republicans have tried to take the approach of sending on the stuff everyone can agree on so it can be whittled down to budget areas where there are differences. That was not acceptable to Reid/Obama. They fear loosing leverage for the stuff they know wouldn't get through. Both sides are more worried about getting their less popular pet issues through than the most important meat items that neither one dares oppose.

Right. Because that's how a government should be budgeted and run. Defund everything, then refund things one at a time in a knee-jerk fashion, based on whatever the media happens to focus on.

I didn't say it should, I was just pointing out that the suggestion was something already attempted.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2013, 01:33:42 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 09, 2013, 09:07:11 PM

It's fascinating that every time right-wing rhetoric is proven unambiguously false, it's not because their fundamental world view is warped beyond any semblance of reality -- it's because a shadowy cabal of Liberals have re-sewn the fabric of reality itself to make Conservatives *seem* like blithering, reactionary liars.

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. Conservatives are political Einsteins!

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2013, 01:37:06 AM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 09, 2013, 11:28:17 PM

Hastert Rule? Nothing makes it to the floor unless a majority of the majority party say it does.

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2013, 02:40:08 AM »

Yes they did get a shutdown, and the dems want the shutdown to hurt as many people as possible for political gain.

No, we don't. How do we gain politically from it? This insanity is not doing anything to help the member of Congress I'm most concerned with (other than the historic polling collapse for the GOP, I guess... but that's hardly worth this cost). There is a bill in the hopper of the House, passed and engrossed by the Senate, which the Speaker could put on the floor any day with two hours notice. It would pass. The shutdown would end.

Of course your party gains politically by people being hurt as much they can be by the shutdown as you can blame the opposing party for everything.    The people don't matter to anyone in DC anymore, whatever gains the most power over the opposition is all that matters.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2013, 04:59:31 AM »

well, at least they found a fix for the death benefits:

President Obama plans to resolve a funding gap that deprived military families of death benefits by signing off on an agreement for a private foundation to make the payouts until the government shutdown is over, a senior White House official said Friday.

The deal with Fisher House — which will make the payments now and be reimbursed by the Defense Department later —will fix the embarrassing problem without the need for Congress to reinstate the benefits, officials said.

Asked what he would tell families whose benefits were put on hold by the shutdown, President Obama told NBC affiliate WFLA, "What I say to them is we should have never been there in the first place.

"The theory that we should shut down the government as a negotiation tactic should never have been done in the first place and it does a disservice to all the men and women in uniform and all those veterans who sacrificed for our freedom."

He stressed the need to restore the money quickly.

"I'm not gonna wait for Congress," Obama said. "And I asked Chuck Hagel, the secretary of defense, to go ahead and fix it and it's gonna get fixed today."

The administrative solution came as the House voted unanimously to fund the benefit — $100,000 payment that arrives within days of a soldier’s death, bridging the gap between a military salary and survivor benefits — and with the Senate poised to take it up.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/09/20885072-white-house-private-foundation-to-cover-soldiers-death-benefits-lapse-until-shutdown-is-over?lite

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 10, 2013, 02:40:08 AM

Of course your party gains politically by people being hurt as much they can be by the shutdown as you can blame the opposing party for everything.    The people don't matter to anyone in DC anymore, whatever gains the most power over the opposition is all that matters.

The same can easily be said for the obstructionist party holding up the bill from the Senate. In fact, even more so since evidence clearly shows the trend is increasing negative public perception towards the obstructionist party the longer the shutdown goes on. Which begs the question, why is Boehner prolonging the shutdown by not holding an up/down vote on the Senate bill? Is he in favor of self-destruction of his party?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »

Democrats are ready to vote in unanimous support of a clean CR at any moment.  Still, brettmcd argues that they bear an equal share of blame for the government shutdown because they secretly want to impose misery on people while disguising it as the predicted and publicized effect of the shutdown.

In other words, brettmcd believes Conservatives are even stupider than we think. He says they have charged headlong into a Liberal trap -- despite weeks of advance warning -- and are now affirmatively choosing to remain inside, unrestrained, while sinister Democrats twist the screws.

I'd put a laughy-face here to underscore the absurdity of "defending" the GOP by characterizing them as too dim-witted to walk out of the Pain-O-Tron and towards the brightly lit 'EXIT' sign...but it's not funny.  People like brettmcd put these people in power and clap their hands when things start coming apart at the seams.

-Autistic Angel
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2013, 12:39:38 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 10, 2013, 11:22:59 AM

Democrats are ready to vote in unanimous support of a clean CR at any moment.  Still, brettmcd argues that they bear an equal share of blame for the government shutdown because they secretly want to impose misery on people while disguising it as the predicted and publicized effect of the shutdown.

In other words, brettmcd believes Conservatives are even stupider than we think. He says they have charged headlong into a Liberal trap -- despite weeks of advance warning -- and are now affirmatively choosing to remain inside, unrestrained, while sinister Democrats twist the screws.

I'd put a laughy-face here to underscore the absurdity of "defending" the GOP by characterizing them as too dim-witted to walk out of the Pain-O-Tron and towards the brightly lit 'EXIT' sign...but it's not funny.  People like brettmcd put these people in power and clap their hands when things start coming apart at the seams.

-Autistic Angel

So many lies in one post AA, where to even begin....

I have never said they share equal blame, I have said the dems are using the situation and making it as painful as possible for political gain while the situation lasts.   So that is lie one from you.    I also did NOT put republicans in power as I never voted for a single one of them, so that is lie number 2 from you.     I am also not defending the GOP as I have said more then once this is not the way to run a government, so that is lie number 3 from you.    I am also not 'clapping' or happy in any way that this is what is happening in DC, so that is another lie.

Not bad for such a short post AA, you might have a future in politics.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »

It has actually been shown that staunch republicans do have a warped sense of reality. I mean that literally, they used functional MRI to see that there's fundamental cause and effect mix ups that happen in certain people. Definitely not all Republicans, but it does make those people more susceptible to the kind of lies and propaganda they put out.

That's not saying Democrats don't have their own kind. It's just an interesting observation.

That's about all I have to say on the matter other than that we just lost a huge amount of work at the antarctic research base.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 10, 2013, 12:43:54 PM

That's about all I have to say on the matter other than that we just lost a huge amount of work at the antarctic research base.

Sorry man.  frown

I got into my first-ever political debate with my father-in-law last night.  He took the "I'm glad it's shut down...government employees are all worthless anyways" stance until I reminded him that if the shutdown continues, there's a very good chance it would put me out of a job, which is going to have a rather significant impact on his daughter and grandkids.  He got awfully quiet after that.

Funny how the perspective changed when he saw how it personally impacted him and those he loves.  It's easy to demonize faceless government employees.  It's a little tougher when it has a very real impact on those you care about.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 10, 2013, 01:37:06 AM

Hastert Rule? Nothing makes it to the floor unless a majority of the majority party say it does.
I think it may have been mentioned before, but that's not actually a binding rule. It's just yet another thing coming from the Republican version of Calvinball.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »

Of course your party gains politically by people being hurt as much they can be by the shutdown as you can blame the opposing party for everything.

We don't gain politically. We don't want people to be hurt. That's why the Senate has passed four bills to reopen the budget, and House Democrats are standing in the rain right now calling for Boehner to allow a vote.

The people don't matter to anyone in DC anymore, whatever gains the most power over the opposition is all that matters.

The American people matter a great deal to me and the people I work with.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 10, 2013, 01:47:12 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on October 10, 2013, 01:37:06 AM

I think it may have been mentioned before, but that's not actually a binding rule. It's just yet another thing coming from the Republican version of Calvinball.

From the wiki about the Hastert Rule:

"On the positive side, it ensures that no legislative proposal will counter to the wishes of the majority of the Speaker's caucus. It also all but ensures that the Speaker will keep his or her job."

It's all about Boehner keeping his job, which I think answers Fireball's question.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2013, 05:05:13 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 10, 2013, 03:09:58 PM

The people don't matter to anyone in DC anymore, whatever gains the most power over the opposition is all that matters.

So in other words, brettmcd was lying.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »

Of course your party gains politically by people being hurt as much they can be by the shutdown as you can blame the opposing party for everything.

We don't gain politically. We don't want people to be hurt. That's why the Senate has passed four bills to reopen the budget, and House Democrats are standing in the rain right now calling for Boehner to allow a vote.

Getting reelected is what matters to people in DC, anything else is second place, and a very very very distant second place at that.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 10, 2013, 08:12:11 PM

Getting reelected is what matters to people in DC, anything else is second place, and a very very very distant second place at that.

Doubling down on the lie.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 10, 2013, 08:12:11 PM

So you're telling me that you know better than I do what matters to me?

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 10, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »

I am saying that I don't believe any politician who claims getting reelected isn't whats important to them.    Take that however you want to.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: October 10, 2013, 08:36:28 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 10, 2013, 08:31:35 PM

I am saying that I don't believe any politician who claims getting reelected isn't whats important to them.    Take that however you want to.

You know, I care about my job security too, and I'm no politician. If, after all that, I say that I enjoy my work and that I want to make the best products possible with my capabilities, am I lying? Am I corrupt?
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2013, 08:39:09 PM »

What a politician does that is best for them getting reelected is many times NOT what is best for the country, its not the same for the most part at a regular job.   There if you do what is best for you but not best for the company you lose your job.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: October 10, 2013, 08:48:46 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 10, 2013, 08:39:09 PM

What a politician does that is best for them getting reelected is many times NOT what is best for the country, its not the same for the most part at a regular job.   There if you do what is best for you but not best for the company you lose your job.

You don't understand the mandate of a politician then. If someone is voted into office and then gets thrown out by the voters later, he's done something to displease them. Since the US is supposed to be a democracy, the politicians are supposed to be representatives of the people for the most part. If politicians said "fuck it" to reelections and did whatever pleased them, that would be corruption (sort of). Trying to appease the voters is their job and their responsibility as elected officials.

You want someone who does what he considers the best for the country all the time while disregarding the voters? Congratulations! You just invented fascism.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:50:26 PM by TiLT » Logged
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 10, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 10, 2013, 08:48:46 PM

You don't understand the mandate of a politician then. If someone is voted into office and then gets thrown out by the voters later, he's done something to displease them. Since the US is supposed to be a democracy, the politicians are supposed to be representatives of the people for the most part. If politicians said "fuck it" to reelections and did whatever pleased them, that would be corruption (sort of). Trying to appease the voters is their job and their responsibility as elected officials.

You want someone who does what he considers the best for the country all the time while disregarding the voters? Congratulations! You just invented fascism.

So then the tea party republicans who are doing what the people who voted them into office want are doing the right thing now by shutting down government and trying to get rid of Obama care in any way they can?    Interesting concept.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 10, 2013, 08:56:40 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 10, 2013, 08:48:46 PM

So then the tea party republicans who are doing what the people who voted them into office want are doing the right thing now by shutting down government and trying to get rid of Obama care in any way they can?    Interesting concept.

They are doing right by their voters, but they are betraying the system by using a loophole to attempt to force the will of the minority upon the majority. That isn't right under any definition of the word.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2013, 08:59:48 PM »

What a politician does that is best for them getting reelected is many times NOT what is best for the country, its not the same for the most part at a regular job.

Many Democrats have cast votes in the last two weeks that will be difficult to explain to voters, but which were the right thing to do. Not every member of Congress cravenly seeks reelection over all else.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2013, 12:25:34 AM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 10, 2013, 08:59:48 PM

What a politician does that is best for them getting reelected is many times NOT what is best for the country, its not the same for the most part at a regular job.

Many Democrats have cast votes in the last two weeks that will be difficult to explain to voters, but which were the right thing to do. Not every member of Congress cravenly seeks reelection over all else.

Yes. Yes.   Democrats are benevolent angels that only cast votes in the best interest of the 'Murican people.    Republicans are evil greedy devils that cast votes in their own selfish personal interests.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2013, 01:02:19 AM »

I think you just quoted the official dem platform there.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2013, 01:08:39 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 11, 2013, 12:25:34 AM

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 10, 2013, 08:59:48 PM

Yes. Yes.   Democrats are benevolent angels that only cast votes in the best interest of the 'Murican people.

I never said anything so sweeping about all Democrats. I never even implied it. If you can't respond to what I actually say, that's your problem.

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »

Well at least we now know what you think of every single republican.   Actually we knew that before, this just reinforces it.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2013, 02:48:36 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 11, 2013, 12:25:34 AM

Yes. Yes.   Democrats are benevolent angels that only cast votes in the best interest of the 'Murican people.    Republicans are evil greedy devils that cast votes in their own selfish personal interests.

Said no one ever.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2013, 03:07:17 AM »

Fireball has always been openly partisan. It's his job. He always backs up his opinions with logical arguments supported by facts, so I respect him even when I disagree with him.

If you were to challenge his assertion that many Dems have taken votes they'll regret later, I am sure that he would counter with multiple examples. Not that it would get him anywhere.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: