http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 12:02:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [USA] SHUTDOWN SHUTDOWN!!!!!! Sequel is in the works, slated for Q1 2014 release  (Read 10112 times)
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »

Am I the only one that finds it funny that they are in places using more manpower trying to shut things down and prevent people from accessing them than keeping them open require?

Closing off parkings spaces (for place like MV they can't shut down because they don't fund them) and bike trails along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal.

The Barrycade business is booming!
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2013, 01:44:03 PM »

Quote from: Rip on October 03, 2013, 12:53:23 PM

Am I the only one that finds it funny that they are in places using more manpower trying to shut things down and prevent people from accessing them than keeping them open require?

Just as someone else did with this ridiculous claim over on OO, I'll just leave the truth here for anyone who wants to read it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »

What is this...I don't even.

"We're not going to be disrespected," Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-Ind.) told The Washington Examiner. "We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is."

These people are fucking insane. 

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 03, 2013, 04:39:26 PM

What is this...I don't even.

"We're not going to be disrespected," Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-Ind.) told The Washington Examiner. "We have to get something out of this. And I don't know what that even is."

These people are fucking insane.  

Don't overlook the part at the bottom where the article points out that a clean CR would pass this minute if Speaker John Boehner would allow it to come up for a vote.  More than enough Republicans are willing to side with the Democratic minority to get it done, but Boehner is so terrified of being perceived as a traitor to the Tea Party cause of the moment that he won't allow it.

This entire crisis has been generated and sustained by a very small faction on only one side of the political spectrum, but they're loud and crazy enough that they've frightened their so-called leadership into playing along.  

Oh, hold on.  My watch just went off.  Must be time for someone new to enter the thread and show off how "fair" they are by assigning equal blame to both sides.

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2013, 06:09:40 PM »

This is what sane members of congress have to deal with:

http://gawker.com/gop-congressman-makes-park-ranger-apologize-for-shutdow-1440577868?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gawker%2Ffull+%28Gawker%29

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »

So do we as tax payers get a credit on our federal taxes for X amount of $ per day they are closed?  That's how it works when my cable goes down.  If I subtract a .274% per day they are shutdown when I file will I get in trouble?

morlac00 on PSN
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2013, 07:35:31 PM »

How about this. For every day that a deal is not reached the party that obstructs loses a electoral point for the next five presidential elections.
Obviously hitting them in their pocketbooks (Pay freezes) won't hurt since most are wealthy or have the backing of those whom are. So go after the one thing that will hurt their agenda.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »

I can only hope that that idiot apologizes to the park ranger. But I doubt it and I know fox will just portray it as fighting that horrible Obama. Because clearly since she is there doing her job, for no pay, it must be costing the taxpayer a lot of money.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »

The question is will the memory of the American people last into 2016.  And if history serves, the answer is no.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2013, 08:33:03 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 03, 2013, 12:24:31 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on October 03, 2013, 05:23:07 AM

Quote from: Rip on October 03, 2013, 04:19:58 AM

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 01, 2013, 03:32:51 PM

The House will pass a clean CR.

Any minute now.

Torches and Happiness!

There's no rush. The longer this drags on, the worse for the GOP.

While I have no problem with the GOP imploding, I'd beg to differ that there's no rush.  Some of us need a paycheck.

Unfortunately for you, the tea party faction is entirely willing to execute the hostages. All 800,000 of them.

Quote from: ATB on October 03, 2013, 08:24:09 PM

The question is will the memory of the American people last into 2016.  And if history serves, the answer is no.

True dat, but it might last into 2014. It may be impossible for the Reps to lose any of their gerrymandered House seats, but their odds of taking the Senate have fallen dramatically.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »

I have to say, it's kind of heartwarming to see the GT community actually agree (for the most part) about a political issue for once. Considering how high tempers can rise between the factions around here at times, that's really saying something about just how out there this whole blockade is.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2013, 09:55:06 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 03, 2013, 09:11:32 PM

I have to say, it's kind of heartwarming to see the GT community actually agree (for the most part) about a political issue for once. Considering how high tempers can rise between the factions around here at times, that's really saying something about just how out there this whole blockade is.

Agreed.  This whole thing is embarrassing.  I wish I was also surprised, but I'm not.  The American people don't want this and the polls show that.  This begs the question - who are these assclowns in our Congress actually serving?  Cuz uh....it ain't us!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »

They have the right idea, that Obamacare will be a horrible mistake for the country and hurt the economy badly.   But at the same time this is NOT the way to fight that fight.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2013, 10:01:30 PM »

How the White House sees the shutdown (and debt ceiling!) fight

The White House has decided that they can't govern effectively if the House Republicans can keep playing Calvinball. The rules and promises Boehner makes are not their problem, they've decided. They're not going to save him. And that also rules out unusual solutions like minting a platinum coin or declaring the debt limit unconstitutional. The White House doesn't want to break the law (and possibly spark a financial crisis) in order to save Boehner from breaking a promise he never should have made.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »

Not that I in any way condone the tactics of the republicans, but I can't see any way Obama can let the debt ceiling not be raised.    Yes don't give into threats and all that, but can we let the world economy implode to make that stand?    Sometimes the person making the threat wins if what they are threatening is something that cannot be allowed to happen.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 03, 2013, 10:09:14 PM

Not that I in any way condone the tactics of the republicans, but I can't see any way Obama can let the debt ceiling not be raised.    Yes don't give into threats and all that, but can we let the world economy implode to make that stand?    Sometimes the person making the threat wins if what they are threatening is something that cannot be allowed to happen.

He can and there will be a huge group here cheering him every step of the way.

Kind of disorienting when the opposite approach is used when it comes to dealing with foreign governments. They have never taken a strong stand against the likes of Pakistan, Syria, Russia, Iran, etc.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2013, 10:41:51 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 03, 2013, 10:00:13 PM

They have the right idea, that Obamacare will be a horrible mistake for the country and hurt the economy badly.   But at the same time this is NOT the way to fight that fight.

I hear all sorts of examples of the exact opposite and very little actual solid fact from the (R) team.  Perfect solution?  Far from it.   Better than nothing?  Absolutely.  It's time for this country to take better care of its people.  That's gonna cost.  I think there is a whole lot of shouting just like there was when Arizona decided that openly carrying a firearm was legal.  People went completely NUTS and in the end....nothing changed.  

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2013, 10:46:18 PM »

Kind of disorienting when the opposite approach is used when it comes to dealing with foreign governments. They have never taken a strong stand against the likes of Pakistan, Syria, Russia, Iran, etc.

Is this that "we looked weak" bullshit because we didn't go bomb the bejebus out of Syria?  It's an empty argument.  If we were serious about cleaning up places that abuse their people we'd be in Darfor, South America, Somalia, Pakistan, Iraq, etc. etc. etc. etc.   but we can't possibly go around threatening and then attacking everyone.  The President has to publicly denounce everything that anyone does or he'll get strung up for not making a statement, THEN he'll get strung up if they don't LIKE the statement, and THEN he'll get strung up if he doesn't adhere to his threat to the letter?   It makes no sense at all. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2013, 10:59:13 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 03, 2013, 10:46:18 PM

Is this that "we looked weak" bullshit because we didn't go bomb the bejebus out of Syria?  It's an empty argument.  If we were serious about cleaning up places that abuse their people we'd be in Darfor, South America, Somalia, Pakistan, Iraq, etc. etc. etc. etc.   but we can't possibly go around threatening and then attacking everyone.  The President has to publicly denounce everything that anyone does or he'll get strung up for not making a statement, THEN he'll get strung up if they don't LIKE the statement, and THEN he'll get strung up if he doesn't adhere to his threat to the letter?   It makes no sense at all.  

No I am talking about the part where we keep inviting people to talk, give them a bunch of incentives just to ge tthem to talk and then act all surprised when we find out they were just buying time and that whatever deal we thought we could get "negotiated" never had a chance at all we were just being stalled, distracted, and fleeced.

FOr instance do you really think Iran is going to do ANYTHING to alleviate fears they are working on a nuclear weapon? Not a chance in Hell, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't back off some sanctions as a wasted show of good faith.

Do you think that the prisoners we made Israel release will do anything beyond getting them to talk about a deal that they either won't go for or will and then will totally dishonor from the word go?

That is without even bothering to go into all the "rebels" we have assisted in overthrowing oppressive governments in the hopes of earning some respect only to have them practically spit in our face and laugh at us.

edit: Oh and I don't think we should have bombed Syria, We should have stayed the hell out of it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:01:54 PM by Rip » Logged
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2013, 11:12:37 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 03, 2013, 10:41:51 PM

Quote from: brettmcd on October 03, 2013, 10:00:13 PM

I hear all sorts of examples of the exact opposite and very little actual solid fact from the (R) team.  Perfect solution?  Far from it.   Better than nothing?  Absolutely.  It's time for this country to take better care of its people.  That's gonna cost.  I think there is a whole lot of shouting just like there was when Arizona decided that openly carrying a firearm was legal.  People went completely NUTS and in the end....nothing changed.  

There are plenty of bad ideas in obamacare, forcing employers to cover adult children until they are 26?    Idiotic.     The whole tax on plans the government thinks are too expensive, when unions and other groups have given away pay increases in negotiations to have these usually very good plans?   Stupid.    Fining people because they don't have insurance?    More stupidity.    The list can go on and on.

The few good parts, getting rid of lifetime caps, and other specific ways insurance companies would screw over people could have been done without all this other BS.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2013, 12:56:06 AM »

Quote from: Rip on October 03, 2013, 10:59:13 PM

edit: Oh and I don't think we should have bombed Syria, We should have stayed the hell out of it.

So if it turned out that the United States has not bombed Syria at all this year, you would gladly say what a great job President Obama has done?

Because I've got some good news for you....

-Autistic Angel
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2013, 02:34:06 AM »

Ridiculous.  You just told everyone terrorists should always win if they have a big enough bomb.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2013, 02:57:08 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 04, 2013, 02:34:06 AM

Ridiculous.  You just told everyone terrorists should always win if they have a big enough bomb.

So lets just let the worlds economy implode.    Brilliant idea there.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2013, 03:08:48 AM »

Debt ceiling may not be an issue:

House Speaker John Boehner has indicated to colleagues that he wont let the country default on its debt, even if it means going against the rank-and-file of his conservative caucus on raising the debt ceiling, the New York Times reports.

The Times, citing multiple House Republicans, reports that Boehner has said hes willing to break the informal so-called Hastert rule, which calls for only bringing bills to the House floor when they have majority support from members of the majority party.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2013, 03:57:21 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 04, 2013, 03:08:48 AM

Debt ceiling may not be an issue:

House Speaker John Boehner has indicated to colleagues that he wont let the country default on its debt, even if it means going against the rank-and-file of his conservative caucus on raising the debt ceiling, the New York Times reports.

The Times, citing multiple House Republicans, reports that Boehner has said hes willing to break the informal so-called Hastert rule, which calls for only bringing bills to the House floor when they have majority support from members of the majority party.

I really hope Boehner has that much integrity left. His current conduct does not inspire confidence.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/03/how-the-white-house-sees-the-shutdown-and-debt-ceiling-fight/

As the White House sees it, Speaker John Boehner has begun playing politics as game of Calvinball, in which Republicans invent new rules on the fly and then demand the media and the Democrats accept them as reality and find a way to work around them.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 04, 2013, 02:57:08 AM

Not that I in any way condone the tactics of the republicans, but I can't see any way Obama can let the debt ceiling not be raised.    Yes don't give into threats and all that, but can we let the world economy implode to make that stand?    Sometimes the person making the threat wins if what they are threatening is something that cannot be allowed to happen.

Ridiculous.  You just told everyone terrorists should always win if they have a big enough bomb.

So lets just let the worlds economy implode.    Brilliant idea there.

So let ANY one side wait until an unrelated but potentially very harmful issue needs to be addressed and then add those unrelated demands  to the issue and refuse to back down until you get your way?  Effectively using every american as leverage to get your way?

Brilliant way to run a government there.

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2013, 03:44:30 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 04, 2013, 03:11:22 PM

Not that I in any way condone the tactics of the republicans, but I can't see any way Obama can let the debt ceiling not be raised.    Yes don't give into threats and all that, but can we let the world economy implode to make that stand?    Sometimes the person making the threat wins if what they are threatening is something that cannot be allowed to happen.

Ridiculous.  You just told everyone terrorists should always win if they have a big enough bomb.

So let ANY one side wait until an unrelated but potentially very harmful issue needs to be addressed and then add those unrelated demands  to the issue and refuse to back down until you get your way?  Effectively using every american as leverage to get your way?

Then you get your people elected to make sure it can't happen again, but sometimes if a person has a bomb and is willing to blow everything up and you cannot stop them you have to take a longer view of things.    You may want to implode the worlds economy just to stick it to those unreasonable republicans, I just don't think that is a good idea.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2013, 03:48:21 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 04, 2013, 03:00:34 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/03/how-the-white-house-sees-the-shutdown-and-debt-ceiling-fight/

As the White House sees it, Speaker John Boehner has begun playing politics as game of Calvinball, in which Republicans invent new rules on the fly and then demand the media and the Democrats accept them as reality and find a way to work around them.

that looks very familiar...

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2013, 04:07:47 PM »

Because I can,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »

So should we be converging on DC and marching/rioting over this or have we just gone soft?
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 04, 2013, 03:48:21 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on October 04, 2013, 03:00:34 PM

that looks very familiar...

Whoops!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »

Whole Foods stores in DC, MD, VA, are doling out free "shutdown spaghetti dinners" to everybody apparently, 5:30-7 p.m. Sunday (Oct. 6). I predict chaos, equivalent to launch day for a new gaming console.  paranoid
The chain plans a free family spaghetti dinner from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Sunday at all Whole Foods stores in Maryland, Virginia and Washington. The dinner is open to everyone. Here's the menu: spaghetti with marinara sauce, salad, dinner roll and bottled water. (buttered pasta for kids) All servings will be individual portions, while supplies last.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/consuming-interests-blog/bal-consuming-whole-foods-offers-free-spaghetti-dinner-for-shutdown-20131004,0,5452403.story#ixzz2gmHgivsH
Sam's Club is waiving membership fees for military personnel during shutdown (commissaries are closed during shut down, though hopefully that doesn't apply to overseas bases), sounds like in the DC metro area.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 06:09:20 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 04, 2013, 03:44:30 PM

Quote from: hepcat on October 04, 2013, 03:11:22 PM

Then you get your people elected to make sure it can't happen again, but sometimes if a person has a bomb and is willing to blow everything up and you cannot stop them you have to take a longer view of things.    You may want to implode the worlds economy just to stick it to those unreasonable republicans, I just don't think that is a good idea.

I like the fact that the only two possibilities brettmcd sees are

1) removing Republicans from all position of authority, or

2) total capitulation to their admittedly irrational demands before they wreak irrevocable harm on the world economy.

Expecting the GOP to behave in a less treasonous manner?  That idea has become so far removed from their daily routine, it doesn't even factor into his responses.

-Autistic Angel
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »

Go to hell AA, I have said more then once they shouldn't be doing this.    Its becoming more and more obvious to me that you and your ilk don't care if the world economy implodes over the debt ceiling not being raised, its far far more important to stand up to the evil republicans and win politically.   To hell with anything else.   Its all a political game for BOTH sides now.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »

"Give me your wallet or I destroy an orphanage."
"What?  You can't have my wallet, and you really shouldn't destroy that orphanage."
"OHHH, so you don't care about orphanages?!"
"Huh?  Look, I don't know what game you're play--"
"YOU'RE PLAYING THE GAME NOW TOO, BUDDY."
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »

Please don't bait him.   icon_wink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »

now, now... let's not bicker and argue about who imploded who.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 04, 2013, 07:00:09 PM

lol, touche
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 04, 2013, 07:08:43 PM

Quote from: hepcat on October 04, 2013, 07:00:09 PM

lol, touche

actually it is funnier if you read that as an exchange between Trevor and Franklin.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: