http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 07:47:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's official: Obama Vs McCain. Coming this November '08  (Read 9827 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:18:29 PM »

The Hillary Machine has run out of gas, and she will do her best to not look like she's conceeding later tonight. She's also still pushing for a VP seat. But..

Let the debate begin.. Place your bets... and Start your engines...because it's Obama Vs McCainnod
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:31:55 PM »

C'mon man, how'd you forget to include Barr?  It's the Obama/McCain/Barr Triple Grudge Match!  Three men enter, one man leaves!

icon_biggrin

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 10:40:41 PM »

My money and vote is on the Libertarian. Those other two guys don't have the name recognition, money or political influence to win the general election.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »

You may want to take a look at this bit of rumor and speculation:

...it seems Clinton will not end her campaign, but simply suspend it tonight, with the tape coming out (coincidentally) tomorrow before a wave of Super Delegate pronouncements hit the news...

Democrat political heavyweight Bob Beckel said this morning on FNC that a ‘big shoe’ was about to drop on Michelle Obama...

FNC being Fox News, so take it for what it's worth...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »

Wonderful, yet another election with two absolutely worthless candidates to choose from the dems and repubs.    Whoever wins the country still loses.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:21 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on June 03, 2008, 11:55:00 PM

Wonderful, yet another election with two absolutely worthless candidates to choose from the dems and repubs.    Whoever wins the country still loses.

Man, you really are:
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:19:32 AM »

Quote from: Biyobi on June 04, 2008, 12:18:21 AM

Man, you really are:

Thank you so much for being insulting as usual, it doesnt seem that anyone around here can do anything without that being part of it.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 12:34:29 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on June 04, 2008, 12:19:32 AM

Quote from: Biyobi on June 04, 2008, 12:18:21 AM

Man, you really are:

Thank you so much for being insulting as usual, it doesnt seem that anyone around here can do anything without that being part of it.

No, it's just that you are special.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:47:43 AM »

au contraire, mon frere.  Either is an improvement, so give a little monty python-esque attitude, and "Always look on the bright side of life" :-)

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:22:18 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 04, 2008, 12:47:43 AM

au contraire, mon frere.  Either is an improvement...

That's the understatement of the last century.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »

Whoever wins the country still loses.

Well I don't agree with that but you must at least admit that we lose less than we would if GWB could somehow sneak in an extra 4 years.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 02:56:43 AM »

It's actually the first time I can remember...perhaps EVER, where I actually like both candidates! I don't agree with Obama's policy by and large, but I like the guy.

It will be refreshing to finally go into a presidential election not actively despising one or both candidates.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 03:08:27 AM »

Well, as much as I dislike the guy, McCain will take the election in November, guarenteed. I'd put money on it. I work law enforcement 'down in the south' and it's amazing how many people call him "Osama". And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'd vote Obama over McCain, but for this year, my vote is going to Barr as that's where my heart is even though he doesn't stand a chance.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 03:31:23 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 03, 2008, 11:30:21 PM

You may want to take a look at this bit of rumor and speculation:

...it seems Clinton will not end her campaign, but simply suspend it tonight, with the tape coming out (coincidentally) tomorrow before a wave of Super Delegate pronouncements hit the news...

Democrat political heavyweight Bob Beckel said this morning on FNC that a ‘big shoe’ was about to drop on Michelle Obama...

FNC being Fox News, so take it for what it's worth...

Meh.

The "tape" is a tape of Michelle Obama talking about Bush saying things like "Why'd he abandon New ORleans" and "Why'd he blah blah blah"

Some idiots claim she's saying "Whitey".

There isn't a big enough  Roll Eyes in the world.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 03:45:10 AM »

I think this Whitey nonsense is just closeted racist folk looking for ANY reason, even if it is false, to not support Obama. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 05:31:09 AM »

Why would Obama put somebody who's alluded to him getting assassinated in the vice-presidency?

PSN ID: EduardoX
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 06:18:58 AM »

It's pretty scary what is in front of us. I read a LOT of the 'Osama' horsepucky put over Obama's head. Real ignorant shleps that are part of the group-think wing of the Repubilcan party... You know, the kind that doesn't know any better - and if they do know better - they're too afraid to go against their peers. I have too many friends in the rust belt like this. You know the general demographic: White, uneducated, possible bible thumper, "fags are bad", "blacks are bad", "Iraq bombed the 2 towers on 9/11", "F Kyle, he wiped out Dale".

I do have a strong belief, that Obama has a very strong chance, but that's probably the idealist in me. Bush's policies and with McCain selling out to the 'Bush Base' make any Dem a lock, regardless of how far this country has to go. I don't think McCain will mobilize the 'dumbass' part of the Republican party like the Dems have motivated people in the primaries. It should be very interesting to see how all the "right" organizations start painting Obama - it's going to show just how far we have to go as human beings.

I predict, however, that Obama will lose because of the ignorance of our nation - and not because McCain is a strong candidate (he really isn't).

Also, Bob Barr is a complete slapper. Ugh - that means non-libertarians are taking over the Libertarian party... Barr's politics are way more neocon than libertarian and always have been. Stupid neocons ruin everything.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 11:09:15 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on June 04, 2008, 03:08:27 AM

Well, as much as I dislike the guy, McCain will take the election in November, guarenteed. I'd put money on it. I work law enforcement 'down in the south' and it's amazing how many people call him "Osama". And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'd vote Obama over McCain, but for this year, my vote is going to Barr as that's where my heart is even though he doesn't stand a chance.

Interesting, I work 'down in the south' and a large portion of my colleagues support Obama.  But then again, we typically have more education than the normal law enforcement personnel down here.

EDIT: I realized that the above comment wasn't explained very well and could be a slap at law enforcement.  Polls show that the more educated you are, the more likely you are to vote for Obama.  Everyone I work with has a BS degree, most of us have Masters' and a few PHDs in our midst.  That's a higher education average than most (non-Federal) law enforcement, so that might explain some of the difference.  Also, law enforcement typically votes Republican, so that's not a good bellwether for an election prediction.  It's like asking students at UC Berkley who they're going to vote for and trying to extrapolate that into a general prediction.

Plus, Obama doesn't need the South to get to 270 delegates.  PA, CO and VA are the new swing states.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:12:03 PM by Blackadar » Logged

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 11:12:19 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 04, 2008, 02:56:43 AM

It's actually the first time I can remember...perhaps EVER, where I actually like both candidates!

I guess you must like Bush too...after all, McShame has spend the better part of the last 8 years being a Bush clone and flip-flopping on virtually every major position he took in 2000.

It's interesting that he's spent the last 2 months sucking up to Bushies - having public appearances in the White House, attending private funded dinners with Bush and having a general love-in with the neocons.  Then on Obama's clinching night, he announces he's an agent of "change" and tries to redefine himself as a moderate.  Yea, right.   Roll Eyes

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 12:56:20 PM »

Yeah, God forbid the nominee of the Republican party has to occasionally say things to appease the party.  Roll Eyes

He's a politician, he wants to get elected. To do that, he's got to shore up support among Bush-lackeys that despise him as a moderate and a maverick. You're utterly delusional if you don't think Obama and Clinton don't pander to their audiences just as much.

To get a true grasp of a politician, you have to throw out the sound bites and campaign rhetoric, and look at the records. And the record clearly shows that McCain is not a Bush clone, and that Obama is not a moderate party uniter. Take off the blinders.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 01:33:15 PM »

I wanted McCain the first time he went up against bush. I voted in a primary for him.  But now his rhetoric seems to be stagnant MOTS that I'm not able to stomach.

If the election were today, I'd vote Obama. Unless BO puts HC in the VP slot. Then that's gonna make me vote for McCain almost certainly- and that will hurt.  However, I really need to dig in and see what both men are really about.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:35:39 PM by ATB » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »

You know what this discussion needs? Unbreakable. slywink

I don't think it's a good idea to put Clinton on the ballot; fact of the matter is that he's going to be more successful if he lets the Clinton years end.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »

YK - While I generally agree with you, be careful with that line of thinking.  Senate voting records are not as easy to use as guidelines for evaluating a potential President as many pundits might have you think due to the very major differences between the respective jobs and the branches of government.  So certainly look and them and keep them in mind, but also remember they're much more valid when evaluating whether to vote for them to be Senators, again.

Sadly, there really are very few semi-quantitative measures for "presidentialness" that are available to us which naturally leads us to overanalyze what little we've got. 

Kinda funny when you think the single most important job in the nation is filled by someone based upon such nebulous qualifications, but I guess that's one of the reasons we've got term limits  icon_wink.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 04, 2008, 01:37:28 PM

You know what this discussion needs? Unbreakable. slywink

Opinions vary.

There is no way I could vote for Obama if he reverses his 'change' policy and drops 'more of the same' onto his VP ticket.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »

I hope Obama doesn't add Clinton as his VP.  Honestly, I respect that she stuck it out, but her speech showes she is holding up conceeding to leverage her position for a VP slot.  It's black mail as far as I am concerned

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 03:35:50 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 04, 2008, 12:56:20 PM

To get a true grasp of a politician, you have to throw out the sound bites and campaign rhetoric, and look at the records. And the record clearly shows that McCain is not a Bush clone, and that Obama is not a moderate party uniter. Take off the blinders.

With all due respect YK, the record shows entirely that McLame has been slobbing the Bush knob for a number of years now.  The McCain of 2002 had the balls to call Faldwell, Robertson, et. al "agents of intolerance".  The McLame of 2004-2008 is pandering to that same base and finally had to distance himself from John Hagee.  The McClain of 2000 was not for a repeal of Roe vs. Wade.  The McLame of 2008 says he wants a repeal.  The McCain of 2001 was one of the few Senators to oppose the wealthy tax-cut.  The McLame of 2008 is now for those same tax cuts.  The McCain of 2005 opposed torture.  The McLame of 2007 reversed that position.  The McCain of 2003 was a sponsor of the McCain-Feingold campaign finance bill.  The McLame of 2008 took his name off that very same bill. 

McLame is now the guy that opposed even maintaining current funding levels for SCHIP.  He's the Senator who had the worst record in the Senate for children as graded by the Children’s Defense Fund by scoring a dimsal 10 (for comparision, conservative Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) scored a 70).  He voted with Bush 95% of the time in 2007 and 100% of the time in 2008.  As such, it's accurate to call his run to the White House "Bush III" and McLame a "Bush clone".  There just aren't many fundamental differences between the two.

I liked McCain.  I would have voted for McCain.  I campaigned (phone calls, door knocks) for McCain.  This guy is no McCain, hence the name McLame.  And the McLame alter-ego needs to take a long walk off a short pier.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 03:38:13 PM by Blackadar » Logged

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »

Calling him McLame, especially in that quantity, is incredibly stupid.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 04, 2008, 04:10:22 PM

Shhhhh... he's just trying to get picked up on the Raptor internet monitoring program.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 04:16:32 PM »

Yep, you're the incredibly stupid expert... 

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on June 04, 2008, 04:16:32 PM

Yep, you're the incredibly stupid expert... 

Indeed and it's incredibly stupid.  Glad you agree.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 04, 2008, 04:17:35 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on June 04, 2008, 04:16:32 PM

Jibber Jibber
Jabber Jabber
Jibber Jibber

I has a question...

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 04:58:11 PM »

That he can just name call like that makes anything else he said extremely easy, and extremely valid to ignore, so at least he has done that much for us.
Hyperion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »

Barring another Terrorist attack I think Obama is going to defeat McCain easily.

Obama may have the disadvantage of being a minority going into this election, but there is only so many times that can be brought up.

On the other hand, Obama is a very articulate speaker and he has a ton of material to use from the Bush administration.  Try as he might to change perception, McCain's policies would amount to the same thing as a third term of Bush.

I don't think the people can take that.  Obama genuinely inspires hope through change (whether he can accomplish this or it will be successful is another matter), where McCain is the same out of touch, talking head, elitist tool as Bush.

Maybe if the Internet did not exist in its current fairly free-speachy state, perception could be more manipulated.  But at least for now, I think enough people get their information out of the main-steam media to make sure McCain fails.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »

Dude come on.  That probably took a whole 5 mins to come up with.  GIVE THE MAN CREDIT WHERE IT IS DUE.

gellar
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2008, 06:42:30 PM »

McCain used to be someone respectable. Something happened and he became a pet of Bush and the Republicans. The guy seems cool the numerous times that he has been on The Daily Show and the other things he have done have shown that he seems like a nice man. But when he caters to his base the policies and everything he states just show him to be more of the same. I really don't understand how anyone in their right mind would want to continue down the same path we have been going down for the past 8 years of this asshole in the white house.

Obama doesn't automatically mean that everything is going to be different and I'm sure that for the most part things will move slowly. But I do believe that he is the best chance that we have in turning things around and having a government that I would be proud that I voted for. Could I be wrong? Of course. I could be wrong about McCain to and he might actually turn out alright. But from seeing the guy do his speeches, with them making no sense and being garbage to cater to the Republicans. I see no good there.

I know the 100 years in Iraq quote isn't true, but his belief that we have to stay there to win when I don't see a way to win over there is insane. The policies that he has stated won't help and I'm not sure if anyone else sees it but at the moment this country is not in a good state. I am truly scared when I get out of college at my choices for work, if I even have a chance at getting a good paying job. The economy is down the drain and it seems to be only getting worse before it gets better. People truly expect McCain to be able to pull us out of this? Seriously? And not just pull a Bush and start catering to people that give him the most money. I highly doubt it. This isn't the same guy that talked in 2002 or whatever that actually seemed like he had a brain.

Obama seems actually to be genuine that there is more there, a heart is there. The guy seems to enjoy life, he seems focused and I feel would be able to back up what he says. That or he is truly a great actor but I don't think so. Not how he has acted when under pressure in debates. I think there is more than just talk there and I actually like the guy. Which is more than I can say for anyone else that I've had to vote for. As people have said before I'm voting for someone I like, not the lesser of two evils.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »

I really don't understand how anyone in their right mind would want to continue down the same path we have been going down for the past 8 years of this asshole in the white house.

A lot of us don't feel that McCain = a continuation of Bush policies. Before McCain was ever considered anywhere close to being a nominee, he was painted as a maverick who scored better with independents than his own party and was known for his moderate stances. Even when he was fighting with Huckabee for the nomination, he was painted as a guy who would have an extremely difficult time appealing to the more conservative base of his own party.

Then he clinches the nomination, and all of a sudden he is portrayed as a Bush lackey who will constitute a third term of Bush.

Sorry, but if you believe that, then you are freely buying into Democratic spin. In reality, it doesn't make much sense. 

Something happened and he became a pet of Bush and the Republicans.

That "something" was him clinching the nomination and the Democratic war machine going on the offensive to paint him as a Bush clone.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2008, 06:58:52 PM »

Which is more than I can say for anyone else that I've had to vote for. As people have said before I'm voting for someone I like, not the lesser of two evils.

God...quoted for truth. I can't think of the last time I've been excited to vote.  I think that might be because the last time was 'never', until now.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 07:01:22 PM »

That "something" was him clinching the nomination and the Democratic war machine going on the offensive to paint him as a Bush clone.
Don't need the war machine - just listening to his speeches confirmed that for me.  I live in Arizona - he hasn't spoken for me since I've moved here.  Both he and Napolitano have their heads screwed on backwards. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 04, 2008, 06:58:36 PM

I really don't understand how anyone in their right mind would want to continue down the same path we have been going down for the past 8 years of this asshole in the white house.

A lot of us don't feel that McCain = a continuation of Bush policies. Before McCain was ever considered anywhere close to being a nominee, he was painted as a maverick who scored better with independents than his own party and was known for his moderate stances. Even when he was fighting with Huckabee for the nomination, he was painted as a guy who would have an extremely difficult time appealing to the more conservative base of his own party.

Then he clinches the nomination, and all of a sudden he is portrayed as a Bush lackey who will constitute a third term of Bush.

Sorry, but if you believe that, then you are freely buying into Democratic spin. In reality, it doesn't make much sense. 

Something happened and he became a pet of Bush and the Republicans.

I think your timeline might be off.   If you made this 2000 rather than 2008 then I would agree with you.  McCain was totally the Not Bush Republican (in the way was presented) until he lost to Bush in the primaries.  Then something happened and his presence changed.  He felt like he didn't want to become the Not Bush Republican Whipping Boy and became the Bush Thrull instead.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2008, 07:42:50 PM »

I don't think the Democratic party has had much of a war machine. If the fiasco the past few months is any indication there is nothing machine like there, more like an intertube or something. I am going off of what Lord Mortis just said. Yes, before 2000 he was more independent and thought for himself and had his own opinions then I think after he lost the nomination he turned more conservative and right wing and buying into Republican philosophies that as has been shown don't work well. He was like that before he became the nominee and there is no war machine painting him that way. He is painting himself that way.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: