http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:23:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it just because I live in a 'battleground state' or...?  (Read 2519 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »

On average, we are getting between 2 and 5 automated calls per day per phoneline about the elections- from Obama v. McCain to Joe Smith vs Tammy Doe running for local offices.

We are also getting mailings like crazy.  Today alone I have 6 mailings from 4x10 to 5x12 in size all about abortion, taxes, finding balance, blah blah blah.

Finally, nearly every commercial is a political ad. I'd say it's 9-1 political vs non-political.

This is on top of probably 20-25 other mailings received in the last week.  So much for the 'greening of America' retard

Is this normal for this election? I lived in VA for 19 years and was eligble to vote for 15 of them and never was innundated like this or is this just normal for North Carolina?
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »

Battleground state + heavily hyped election + record voter turnout + increased early voting + unprecedented campaign spending = mass hysteria.

I've lived in NC all my life, and I don't ever remember it being this bad, but it's understandable given the above factors.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 05:53:34 PM »

We're getting nailed here in Philadelphia as well, but contrary to the conventional wisdom that McCain is putting all his chips on winning PA, we're getting many more Obama ads than McCain ads. It wasn't always this way. A few months ago, it seemed like McCain was on the airwaves more.

It might be the case that McCain is advertising more heavily in other parts of PA where he'll perform much stronger than he will in deep blue Philly.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 05:54:31 PM »

It's just as bad in Virginia this year.  We got no less than four calls in two hours last night and at least five or six mailings yesterday.  It's definitely unique to this election cycle- 2004 was nothing like this.  
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:36:17 PM »

It's just that you're in a battleground state.

Speaking of NC, has anyone seen anything more despicable than Dole's attack ad on Kay Hagen?  Fucking pathetic....I hope she's bounced out on her ass.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:19:57 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on October 31, 2008, 05:53:34 PM

It might be the case that McCain is advertising more heavily in other parts of PA where he'll perform much stronger than he will in deep blue Philly.

I can never remember what color I'm supposed to be.  I still remember the childhood fearmongering that wearing one would get me capped by the other color's gang.  Despite me being a terminally uncool fat white boy geek that no one in their right mind would associate with any sort of gang activity.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »

I suppose that's the one advantage to living in the reddest state in the Union.  Haven't received a single robo-call or mailing, and the TV advertising has been extremely minimal.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »

Yeah, I grew up in a dark blue state (NY) and have lived in an even darker blue (MA) one for the last 10 years. My mom's justification for finally ceasing to try and get me to vote for McCain was that Mass would never go red anyway. I'm hoping to get the last laugh, as my parents are voting in their first presidential election since they moved from NY...to Virginia.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 07:56:39 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 31, 2008, 07:38:57 PM

I suppose that's the one advantage to living in the reddest state in the Union.  Haven't received a single robo-call or mailing, and the TV advertising has been extremely minimal.

Yeah, I live in Texas, so calls have been non-existent.  The ads on the other hand, are out of control.  I was watching the news last night, and every commercial in the first two breaks were political ads.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 07:58:38 PM »

Speaking of NC, has anyone seen anything more despicable than Dole's attack ad on Kay Hagen?  Fucking pathetic....I hope she's bounced out on her ass.

I'll be doing my part. Dole is completely worthless; she honestly has not done a damn thing for the state. So even though I was going to vote for gridlock (Obama for Prez, Republican everything else), I'm making an exception for Liddy.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 08:40:35 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on October 31, 2008, 06:36:17 PM

Which ad?  This one, or is there another?

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 31, 2008, 08:40:35 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on October 31, 2008, 06:36:17 PM

Which ad?  This one, or is there another?

-Autistic Angel

yes.

and campbell brown is a milf

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 09:02:56 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on October 31, 2008, 07:56:39 PM

Yeah, I live in Texas, so calls have been non-existent.  The ads on the other hand, are out of control.  I was watching the news last night, and every commercial in the first two breaks were political ads.

as one living in a guaranteed blue state, we haven't had any political calls either.  they know not to bother with the national election and the local candidates haven't bothered to go that route.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 12:13:39 AM »

Same thing here in the bluest state. You'd barely know there was an election going on if it weren't for the worshipful local media. We get a little bit of splash damage from the contested state next door.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 12:16:24 AM »

We're getting nailed here in Philadelphia as well, but contrary to the conventional wisdom that McCain is putting all his chips on winning PA, we're getting many more Obama ads than McCain ads.
It's not that McCain is not putting his chips on winning PA, it's that Obama has a helluva lot more money than McCain.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 12:46:46 AM »

I got a call at work from Pat Boone endorsing McCain.  it took me about 5 minutes to remember who the hell Pat Boone is.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 02:23:39 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 01, 2008, 12:46:46 AM

I got a call at work from Pat Boone endorsing McCain.  it took me about 5 minutes to remember who the hell Pat Boone is.

Sure.  Why not.  That makes sense, right?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 03:00:34 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 01, 2008, 12:16:24 AM

It's not that McCain is not putting his chips on winning PA, it's that Obama has a helluva lot more money than McCain.

PA's McCain's only real shot, purportedly.

edit: removed snark as I don't account for Cheeba's double negative.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:05:21 AM by Brendan » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 12:44:11 PM »

Yes, in CA the only stuff we get is for local Props.  The candidates only come here to get money and then they leave.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 02:25:07 PM »

Unsurprisingly, there are a ton of ads here in Florida. A month ago it used to be 3/4:1 Obama: McCain ads, but recently McCain has evened that out if not put out more ads than Obama. I don't get any phone calls since I only have a cell phone, but we have gotten a number of pieces in the mail (almost exclusively from the Obama camp).
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 09:15:15 PM »

We're getting nailed here in Philadelphia as well, but contrary to the conventional wisdom that McCain is putting all his chips on winning PA, we're getting many more Obama ads than McCain ads. It wasn't always this way. A few months ago, it seemed like McCain was on the airwaves more.

Update: the McCain ad blitz is in full effect around here. Anti-Obama ads are popping up pretty much every commercial break, a lot of them from nasty 537 groups. It really does look like McCain is putting his chances on PA.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »

I was listening to the radio feed at the NASCAR race yesterday on the scanner and they were running an ad for McCain that seized on Obama's "guns and religion" comment and shook it like a terrier.  Very heavy-handed and unneeded in Texas.  The cities will go Obama, the vast ag spaces will go for McCain.  There's no doubt where our electoral votes are going.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »

Yeah, MA is so blue that we don't see anything.  Hell, the vast majority of my ballot this morning was for unopposed Dems.  We've been getting a ton of ads for the NH Shaheen/Sununu race.  Those are particularly nasty.  There's also been a lot of nasty 537 ads lately too, but I think those are aimed more at NH than MA.  Those things make me sick.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 04, 2008, 05:00:07 PM

Yeah, MA is so blue that we don't see anything.  Hell, the vast majority of my ballot this morning was for unopposed Dems.  We've been getting a ton of ads for the NH Shaheen/Sununu race.  Those are particularly nasty.  There's also been a lot of nasty 537 ads lately too, but I think those are aimed more at NH than MA.  Those things make me sick.

I have been seeing a lot of ads for and against our three propositions, but you're right I think I've seen more Shaheen/Sununu propaganda than all the propositions and the presidential race combined.  And I can't even vote for Shaheen or Sununu.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »

Yeah, MA is so blue that we don't see anything.  Hell, the vast majority of my ballot this morning was for unopposed Dems. 

I refuse on principle to vote for unopposed candidates, so I was able to skip about 2/3 of the ballot. The Reps don't even try in this state anymore.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 06:17:33 PM »

I like filling out the bubbles. 

Maybe we should just start filling out write-ins for ourselves.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 06:31:14 PM »

The radio ad they've been playing has been hilarious. They've got a recording of Shaheen saying "I'll stand with President Bush" that they play 3 times in a row at the end of the tv commercial, but in the radio commercial, they repeat it FIVE times in a row. First time I heard it I thought the radio was broken. I'm surprised they just didn't put it on  loop for 30 seconds. And Shaheen is the Dem, if you didn't know. Talk about Republicans throwing Bush under the bus. Sununu stopped and backed up to make sure the tire marks were clear enough.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: