http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 04:48:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iraq finally gives (R) and (D) something they can agree on...  (Read 962 times)
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:43:59 AM »

The free ride might be over.

Nelson, a Democrat, is drafting legislation with Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine and Democrat Evan Bayh of Indiana that would restrict future reconstruction dollars to loans instead of grants.  Their bill also would require that Baghdad pay for the fuel used by American troops and take over U.S. payments to predominantly Sunni fighters in the Awakening movement. Plans are to propose the legislation as part of a war bill to cover spending through September.

But first we have to overcome stuff like this.

Quote from: NPR
According to the U.S., Iraq's government has $48 billion in oil revenue sitting in its bank accounts outside of Iraq. Very little of that money is being spent.

The reasons are many: There is no electronic banking system to get the money where it needs to go; the accounting system in Iraq is stymied by bureaucracy; and there is corruption.  But critically, the Americans say the Iraqis don't feel that they need to spend their own money when U.S. pocketbooks are perceived to be wide open.

One American adviser recalls how the governor of a southern province demanded that the Americans provide furniture for a new prison that the U.S. had already paid $80 million to build.
Herhusky says that Iraqis have come to expect American help as a matter of course.  "We can only hope that [the Iraqis become] less dependent on us," she says. "It's up to us to back off and do that. And it's very hard. They count on us. Well, we like to be needed, you know."

On a personal note, I had a contractor come out to price an in ground sprinkler system for my yard.  At the end of our walk through, the contractor told me that he's been in business long enough that he can weather a slow 2008.  He said if the downturn extends into 2009, it would be devastating. Then he launched into a tirade about the war and how its wrecking our economy.   I was taken aback.  For a guy trying to drum up business, politics is the last think you want to bring up with a potential customer.  It made me think that if enough people draw a line between Iraq and their personal difficulties, it will be a tough fall for anyone with a (R) after their name.

Saving the world one post at a time.
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:38:05 AM »

The real tragedy is when you realize had we "stayed the course" Clinton set, our nation would be out of debt right now.

"Fiscal Conservatives".
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:25:11 AM »

Wow giving our troops gas plus using their own oil money from us buying it to use to pay for stuff for themselves. What are these senators smoking!??  Tongue

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
pr0ner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 02:36:36 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 15, 2008, 01:38:05 AM

The real tragedy is when you realize had we "stayed the course" Clinton set, our nation would be out of debt right now.

And once again today, you are utterly wrong.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:18:13 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 15, 2008, 02:25:11 AM

Wow giving our troops gas plus using their own oil money from us buying it to use to pay for stuff for themselves. What are these senators smoking!??  Tongue
They're smoking the hard to find "2002 Iraqi Red," retrieved from the personal stashes of... 

Richard Perle, chair, The Pentagon's Defense Policy Board. "Iraq is a very wealthy country. Enormous oil reserves. They can finance, largely finance the reconstruction of their own country. And I have no doubt that they will." 

Lawrence Lindsey, White House economic adviser."The likely economic effects [of a war in Iraq] would be relatively small.... Under every plausible scenario, the negative effect will be quite small relative to the economic benefits."

Kenneth Pollack, former director for Persian Gulf affairs, National Security Council. "It is unimaginable that the United States would have to contribute hundreds of billions of dollars and highly unlikely that we would have to contribute even tens of billions of dollars."

Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense. "When it comes to reconstruction, before we turn to the American taxpayer, we will turn first to the resources of the Iraqi government and the international community." 

Paul Wolfowitz, Deputy Secretary of Defense. "There is a lot of money to pay for this that doesn't have to be US taxpayer money, and it starts with the assets of the Iraqi people. We are talking about a country that can really finance its own reconstruction and relatively soon."

Mitchell Daniels, director, White House Office of Management and Budget."The United States is very committed to helping Iraq recover from the conflict, but Iraq will not require sustained aid." 

Saving the world one post at a time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: