http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 05:26:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how come we're not attacking syria?  (Read 10204 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »

Sadly, that is true.  With the caveat that I think the Bush administration is an example of one of the more egregious cases.  Sometimes the agenda is a beneficial one...that was a definite case of the opposite, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:26:08 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2013, 03:30:51 PM »

Why do you edit so many of your posts?!

Something to hide?  paranoid
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »

I tend to write stuff down quickly and then edit myself or add something else after I read it back.  The vast majority of the time it happens within seconds of the original post.  

Is this going to become an issue for you?  Are there any vowels you particularly dislike that I should avoid as well?   Tongue

edit:  just because
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:52:49 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 28, 2013, 03:30:51 PM

Why do you edit so many of your posts?!

Something to hide?  paranoid

Please don't start calling us out on that. I do it a lot although I try to do it as quickly after the initial post as possible. I make a lot of mistakes, repeat myself, and realize what I am writing doesn't accurately reflect what I am thinking. I try to read my posts a couple times right after I make them and have to often edit them. Even then look at how poorly I communicate my thoughts. If I stopped editing my posts people would think I was a delusional moron instead of just delusional.

'tarded!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »

Toning down the hostility is another reason for hasty edits too.  Something more of us could stand to do more often (myself included).

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 28, 2013, 03:51:14 PM

Roll Eyes

Tongue
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 28, 2013, 03:54:26 PM

Toning down the hostility is another reason for hasty edits too.  Something more of us could stand to do more often (myself included).

That to, the last thing I want is anyone to think I am being intellectually dishonest to troll people when I am just communicating in a poor/unclear manner.

I always want to be sure that people know I respect their right to have an opinion I dislike is far more important than what those opinions are.

edit: Unless of course they refuse to respect my opinion or those of others. That is something that gets my panties in a wad.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:19:53 PM by Rip » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 28, 2013, 04:14:59 PM

Quote from: hepcat on August 28, 2013, 03:51:14 PM

Roll Eyes

Tongue

You sure do use the rolly eye emote a lot.... 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »

ceekay just deleted his post.  WHAT'S HE HIDING!?!?

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 28, 2013, 04:48:03 PM

ceekay just deleted his post.  WHAT'S HE HIDING!?!?

DO NOT ask questions you don't want the answer to.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »

It was up briefly.  But only long enough for me to read the first few words:  "I've been living a lie..."

icon_eek

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »

it was a confession about how we are secretly supplying chemical weapons to both sides so we can later attack, but then 2 men rammed a black van into my house, deleted the message and broke all my fingers.  now I have to type with my penis, but the truth mustOMG THEY'RE BAC

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »

if you're typing with your penis shouldn't that entire message be lower case?

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 28, 2013, 05:28:50 PM

The scrotum is being used for the shift key.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »

plus the caps lock is just a quick flick away.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2013, 05:36:50 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 28, 2013, 05:35:27 PM

WHOSE scrotum though?

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 28, 2013, 05:36:50 PM

Quote from: Moliere on August 28, 2013, 05:35:27 PM

WHOSE scrotum though?

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »

Quote from: Rip on August 28, 2013, 12:46:29 AM

Ok, one more last thought on what I have been able to gather given current reports and my apparent uncommon knowledge.

Some worldwide have expressed concern that intervening in Syria may provoke broader conflict in the Middle East or ensnare Western powers in another bloody conflict after years of warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Cameron said that he understands those concerns, vowing that any action would have to be "proportionate, ... legal (and) would have to be specifically about deterring the use of chemical weapons."
Still, he said it's critically important that action be taken to show the international taboo against chemical weapons will not be tolerated.
"This is not about wars in the Middle East; this is not even about the Syrian conflict," he said. "It's about use of chemical weapons and making sure, as a world, we deter their use and we deter the appalling scenes we've all seen on our television screens.

Couldn't agree more, however I would pose a question to Mr Cameron or anyone else who wants me to support military action due to this attack.

If the proof of WHO was responsible for this release of chemical weapons is not disclosed to a level to convince any impartial party of such. Does it really deter or as I fear actually encourage the use of them. Just in a way that appears to point to the opponent of the offending party? Because I have little doubt that much of the world is littered with groups that are more than willing to use such things against their own if it furthers their agenda.

Would this constitute WHO?

Last Wednesday, in the hours after a horrific chemical attack east of Damascus, an official at the Syrian Ministry of Defense exchanged panicked phone calls with a leader of a chemical weapons unit, demanding answers for a nerve agent strike that killed more than 1,000 people. Those conversations were overheard by U.S. intelligence services, The Cable has learned. And that is the major reason why American officials now say they're certain that the attacks were the work of the Bashar al-Assad regime -- and why the U.S. military is likely to attack that regime in a matter of days...

...However, U.S. spy services still have not acquired the evidence traditionally considered to be the gold standard in chemical weapons cases: soil, blood, and other environmental samples that test positive for reactions with nerve agent. That's the kind of proof that America and its allies processed from earlier, small-scale attacks that the White House described in equivocal tones, and declined to muster a military response to in retaliation. 

However, we're not just talking chemical weapons, we're talking Nerve agents, and AFAIK, that was always a much bigger no-no than mustard gas, etc... at least that's how I recall it growing up.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »

Quote from: Grifman on August 27, 2013, 11:20:27 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 27, 2013, 11:15:18 PM

I was confused by his post as well at first.  what he means is Bush got involved in those three countries, not that the Brotherhood is involved.

don't worry Pyper, I get you!!!

My bad, or maybe his for his confusing post! smile

The point wasn't so much the involvement, but the hypocrisy of being mad at Obama for supporting rebels against dictatorships while ignoring the evolution of Governments in the Cheney-Bush wars.  Taliban will still be around, and Iraq is more likely to be another Islamist Government (Hezbollah is currently part of the ruling coalition of Shia), etc. The situation in the Middle East has become much more unstable since 9/11, and our actions in the region are a huge part of that.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 27, 2013, 07:08:45 PM

Oh, the Iranians might be suing us over that one.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 28, 2013, 06:42:57 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 27, 2013, 07:08:45 PM

Oh, the Iranians might be suing us over that one.

Good luck with that.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:20 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on August 28, 2013, 06:12:01 PM

I was confused by his post as well at first.  what he means is Bush got involved in those three countries, not that the Brotherhood is involved.

The point wasn't so much the involvement, but the hypocrisy of being mad at Obama for supporting rebels against dictatorships while ignoring the evolution of Governments in the Cheney-Bush wars.  Taliban will still be around, and Iraq is more likely to be another Islamist Government (Hezbollah is currently part of the ruling coalition of Shia), etc. The situation in the Middle East has become much more unstable since 9/11, and our actions in the region are a huge part of that.

Usually true but as Egypt shows sometimes a democracy isn't and even when they are they can sometimes be more of a threat than many dictatorships.

Although I do appreciate the fact that it makes me less uneasy about the hardship on the people that a war with us brings.

On the last sentence I fully agree. But what is the objective? What do WE gain from this.

Respect, friendship with the new govt? World repspect? Arab world? I don't see gaining any respect with any of them even if it were a flawless attack/operation whatever.

I can surely sit here and type for a while listing things stand to LOSE even if it goes flawless. If it goes wrong we could do the damage Bush/Carter/Obama did all roled up into one, and do it in astoundingly short order.

But my biggest opposition is, you still need to follow the process. This attempted to bypass it all the time is disrespectful of the people and what America stands for. It also just gives more validation to the numerous people worldwide who think and preach that it is nothing but a rotating dictatorship. I still hope though that the quick trigger was all media hype and whatever he does will be with full congressional support. When an action like this happens the world should know the nation has decided this not some president or party.

It is a fundamental part of who we are, if we forget that the rest doesn't matter.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2013, 12:35:24 AM »

Quote from: Rip on August 28, 2013, 10:06:20 PM

Quote from: Pyperkub on August 28, 2013, 06:12:01 PM

Usually true but as Egypt shows sometimes a democracy isn't and even when they are they can sometimes be more of a threat than many dictatorships.

Although I do appreciate the fact that it makes me less uneasy about the hardship on the people that a war with us brings.

On the last sentence I fully agree. But what is the objective? What do WE gain from this.

Respect, friendship with the new govt? World repspect? Arab world? I don't see gaining any respect with any of them even if it were a flawless attack/operation whatever.

I can surely sit here and type for a while listing things stand to LOSE even if it goes flawless. If it goes wrong we could do the damage Bush/Carter/Obama did all roled up into one, and do it in astoundingly short order.

But my biggest opposition is, you still need to follow the process. This attempted to bypass it all the time is disrespectful of the people and what America stands for. It also just gives more validation to the numerous people worldwide who think and preach that it is nothing but a rotating dictatorship. I still hope though that the quick trigger was all media hype and whatever he does will be with full congressional support. When an action like this happens the world should know the nation has decided this not some president or party.

It is a fundamental part of who we are, if we forget that the rest doesn't matter.

The only thing we get out of this is that we respond(ed) to a use of Nerve Gas.  Though it sounds like the response (it isn't just ours, though we are driving the bus), won't be the kind of response that will have any sort of preventative value.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2013, 01:26:29 AM »

If it happens and we do it, we will own it to the rest of the world. Well us and our Israeli puppet. We can persuade a few contries to sign off but you can bet anything that doesn't go perfect will be added to our international record for decades or more. Which is exactly why it necessary to get the signoff on the hundreds if not thousands of politicians (and their parties) that will bear the cross. Although if I were partisan and wasn't more concerned with the reputation of the nation I would cheer him just doing and telling congress to piss off. It may be the best chance to see the people I would rather see getting elected doing so.

If I were Clinton, Kerry or any number of others that that dream of moving up politically that are seen as having a close relationship with the POTUS I would be having nightmares about him doing this without getting legislative approval. All though like the lottery he could pick the right numbers but I doubt the odds are a whole lot better than mine are of winning said lottery.

If he makes the case (and I think he could if the evidence is pretty solid) then the damage is much more limited even if it does go badly.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2013, 01:49:31 AM »

POTUS doesn't need legislative support thanks to the War Powers Act.

And this is a big fat ugly mistake that everyone can see from 100 miles away yet it will probably happen anyway.

Obama had the courage to at least try to normalize relations with Iran (at the start of his 1st term) I hope that he has the courage not to do this thing.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2013, 02:03:23 AM »

This should be interesting if Israel is attacked with CW.

Non-Israeli citizens in the country looking to obtain a gas mask ahead of a predicted US-led attack on Syria will have to purchase one privately, the IDF Home Front Command said on Wednesday.

http://www.jpost.com/National-News/IDF-Non-Israelis-must-purchase-gas-masks-324613

The people launching the attack could end up getting rid of a bunch of non-citizens for them.   
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2013, 02:23:00 AM »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/so-whats-it-going-to-be,33662/

And the onion spells things out better then anything else i've seen out there
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2013, 02:39:30 AM »

Dang, they have a few good ones right now, thanks for making me go look.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/experts-point-to-long-glorious-history-of-successf,33642/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/well-time-to-go-out-in-front-of-a-bunch-of-people,32948/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:42:47 AM by Rip » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2013, 02:25:54 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 29, 2013, 02:23:00 AM

http://www.theonion.com/articles/so-whats-it-going-to-be,33662/

And the onion spells things out better then anything else i've seen out there

This is frigging brilliant.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2013, 04:54:38 PM »

I wonder if it is getting under the POTUS's skin that Cameron is having to convince Parliment that strikes are justified.

Where do they get off giving everyone the impression that the supreme leader of a democratic nation can't just launch attacks on someone because he decided it was needed.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »

Russia just called for a closed-door Security Council meeting.  Bring your own!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »

ooooohhhhhh....someone's gettin' a paddlin'!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2013, 07:30:40 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 29, 2013, 06:04:03 PM

ooooohhhhhh....someone's gettin' a paddlin'!

Putin just wants to show off his new abs.

Because I can,
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2013, 08:39:25 PM »

He is probably offering to not only agree to the Syria attack but to send Snowden home if everyone will ban the display of those portraits of him and send back or execute the guy who painted them.

icon_biggrin
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/syria
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 29, 2013, 08:43:18 PM

I was just on my way here to post that cartoon.  icon_biggrin

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2013, 10:14:59 PM »

The UK is out.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on August 29, 2013, 10:14:59 PM

I bet the U.S. would be out too if Obama actually consulted Congress.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2013, 12:56:24 AM »

We should remember as well when considering whether Russia "really" cares about whther Syria uses CW against the rebels that they themselves used CW against chechyen rebels who had taken hostages in a "rescue" attempt and the agent itself killed all but one of the rebels AND the hostages. Perhaps Russia is the one who in fact gave whoever did initiate the attack the suggestion via an "advisor".
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »

Tired of the US playing the Planet's Police Force.  Let someone else do it

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: