http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 06:43:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Land Foundation defendants guilty on all counts  (Read 1153 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2008, 08:20:54 PM »

stuff

A jury on Monday determined that the Holy Land Foundation and five men who worked with the Muslim charity were guilty of three dozen counts related to the illegal funneling of at least $12 million to the Palestinian terrorist group Hamas.

The unanimous verdicts are a complete victory for the government, which streamlined its case and worked hard to carefully educate jurors on the complex, massive evidence presented in the trial. Guilty verdicts were read on 108 separate charges.
“It’s a sad day,” said Mohammed Wafa Yaish, Holy Land’s former accountant and himself a witness of the trial. “It looks like helping the needy Palestinians is a crime these days.”
Opening statements at the Earle Cabell Federal Courthouse in downtown Dallas began Sept. 22. Over the past two months, prosecutors attempted to prove that five former charity organizers used Holy Land, once the largest Muslim charity in the U.S., to funnel an estimated $60 million to the militant group — most of it before 1995.

Hamas was designated as a terrorist organization by the U.S. in 1995, and the trial centered on the $12 million the government said Holy Land and supporters funneled to the group after that date.

Defense attorneys argued that the foundation was a legitimate, non-political charity that helped distressed Palestinians under Israeli occupation. They accused the government of bending to Israeli pressure to prosecute the charity, and of relying on old evidence predating the 1995 designation.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »

It's interesting that we convicted men on sending money to the legal and democratically-elected government of the Palestinian people.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »

Canada, the EU, Israel (obviously) and Japan share our opinion of Hamas.  And they were elected in 2006, 11 years after the US put the label on them.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 02:26:49 AM »

America's own government was founded by terrorists. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:18:18 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on November 28, 2008, 02:26:49 AM

Rebels and traitors, not terrorists.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 02:07:37 PM »

Quote from: CSL on November 30, 2008, 11:18:18 AM

Quote from: Farscry on November 28, 2008, 02:26:49 AM

Rebels and traitors, not terrorists.

I think the british loyalists who were terrorized by the colonials would disagree with you.    And I am sure the British government would have considered the actions of the colonials in some cases to be terrorism,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 05:07:58 PM »

I've seen that argument brought up before.  I still have not seen a source to back it up.  And one would figure that a time period such as the founding of our nation combined with the British penchant for bureacracy would mean a lot of source documents. 

I'm not saying there isn't any evidence, I'm just saying I have yet to see anyone present it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: