http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:19:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History is a fickle and willful child; it remembers only that which it wants to.  (Read 1096 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:53:58 PM »

I find it amazing that some things get remembered through the ages until the person(s) become a caricature of that one event in their life.

Elvis, for instance, will always be remembered as two people; young Elvis and old-fat Elvis. There is no middleground. His posing on stage with his hips a-swinging showing life and exuberance is his legacy...

Jesus Christ. Died. Everyone remembers his death and his martyrdom, and they carry around a cross signifying the worst time of his life. It just doesn't seem right.

Yes, yes, sacrifice, etc... but if he's the champion of love, I'd put forth that regardless of whether you believe him to be the Saviour (der Erlöser for you german folk) or just the Savior™ brought to you by Church Inc., the man was certainly worth remembering in more than just his death. I think he should be remembered for fighting the injustices of judeaism's ruling upper class that disallowed the poor and the sick from worshipping.

I am not one for worshipping anything other than teh gellar (and Wonderpug on Sundays), but I don't think it's right to take away the rights of other people to worship false gods just because of social status. Everyone is entitled to make their own mistakes. Tongue
I, for one, love these:
Jesus Saves...
JESUS SAVES...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »

I'm not super religious, but to me the cross seams the perfect way to remember Christ because it represents the ultimate sacrifice he made in order to:

be remembered for fighting the injustices of judeaism's ruling upper class that disallowed the poor and the sick from worshipping.

So the cross is a way of remembering what Jesus stood for during his life.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:21:10 PM »

I don't get it.  This thread was more interesting when you were talking about Elvis.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 03:38:46 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 30, 2008, 01:53:58 PM

Elvis, for instance, will always be remembered as two people; young Elvis and old-fat Elvis. There is no middleground. His posing on stage with his hips a-swinging showing life and exuberance is his legacy...

what about dead on the toilet Elvis?  or is that covered under the old-fat umbrella?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 03:45:51 PM »

Quote from: Bill Hicks
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fucking cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant.

Just a little hiccup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: