http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:34:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathens Caused the Market Meltdown!  (Read 3974 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 09:50:50 PM »

Focus on the Family to cut 202 jobs.

This year, the charity gave nearly $600,000 in support of Proposition 8, a California ballot measure approved by voters that outlawed gay marriage in the state.

Some critics have said that spending is the reason for the staff cuts, but Mr. Schneeberger accuses those who might want to make that connection of “besmirching” the charity’s work.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »

Religion is often a crutch or a collar; to lean on when you have nothing else or used to control. A healthy mind doesn't *need* faith-based explanations to worry about creation/afterlife, nor do we need an arbitrary and inexplicable set of rules from some arguably fictitious characters to limit us.

That's not to say that healthy minds can't use them, but to allow such elements to be woven into society roles is preposterous. We consider Zeus and his ilk ridiculous; what makes us think our current selections are correct? Would "God" truly mind if we live life to the fullest, be the best people we can be based on a fair set of rules that don't rest on pigs, cows or crosses? Would we be any less worthy?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 10:19:11 PM »

Granted the media is full of religious idiots who want to tell you how you should think and how you should run your life. But do you have to listen?

How does a religion you don't follow, limit you? How does it prevent you from being the best that you can be? What is it that you would do if but for some religion telling you no. A civil society has rules of behavior that may date back to some religion but today are just accepted as the way you act. An athiest can be just as moral and ethical today as a religious man.

Religious groups going door to door are a pain in the ass but no more so than some kid selling something for her school.

I think you protest too much...........
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 10:36:04 PM »

Who actually get's upset about being wished a Merry Xmas? Atheists don't care (at least not the ones I have met, but that guy who sued to get God removed from the dollar bill might I guess). If some one says Merry Xmas to me I take it the same as if someone just side a nice thing and repeat it back. Just like God Bless you after you sneeze, how could anyone possibly take offense to it?

I always figured this war on Xmas was just something Fox News made up to get their base excited. Most of the news stories they report on seems to me more of that other religions would like their religions recognized at the same time during Xmas.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 11:58:06 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 21, 2008, 10:36:04 PM

Who actually get's upset about being wished a Merry Xmas?.

Funny I always pictured you Tongue  Actually you wouldn't care if it was Merry Xmas, it Merry Christmas that would get your panties in a bunch Tongue
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2008, 12:03:56 AM »

X = chi, the first letter in Christ in Greek. 

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2008, 12:31:28 AM »

Quote from: naednek on November 21, 2008, 11:58:06 PM

Who actually get's upset about being wished a Merry Xmas?.

Funny I always pictured you Tongue  Actually you wouldn't care if it was Merry Xmas, it Merry Christmas that would get your panties in a bunch Tongue

Nah, I am not this obnoxious in real life, I swear. I do enjoy how people get upset over Xmas though, but that's just part of being an asshat.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2008, 01:40:30 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 21, 2008, 08:50:15 PM

The idea that any one religion has a monopoly on any societal strength (or weakness) is puppies. 
I hope you're not talking about the Protestant Ethic.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2008, 02:02:28 AM »

Who actually get's upset about being wished a Merry Xmas?

I bet the Easter Bunny does.  he's always getting drunk and going on about the Fat Man stealing all his thunder.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2008, 02:57:04 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 22, 2008, 02:02:28 AM

Who actually get's upset about being wished a Merry Xmas?

I bet the Easter Bunny does.  he's always getting drunk and going on about the Fat Man stealing all his thunder.

Jesus was fat? I guess they didn't portray him as such on all the gift shop collectors edition stuff; I mean it would drive up material prices. icon_twisted

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2008, 05:59:11 AM »

For me, it isn't people wishing me a Merry Christmas that's upsetting. It's the constant reminder that I live in a society and country where Christianity is the prevalent and dominant religion, and that in more ways than one, it is forced upon me through laws, even when the government is supposed to be separate from religions.

That's a very simplified explanation of the whole thing.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2008, 07:01:36 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on November 22, 2008, 05:59:11 AM

For me, it isn't people wishing me a Merry Christmas that's upsetting. It's the constant reminder that I live in a society and country where Christianity is the prevalent and dominant religion, and that in more ways than one, it is forced upon me through laws, even when the government is supposed to be separate from religions.

While I am no fan of the religion, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Christmas doesn't have to be about religion, it's what you make it.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2008, 07:35:03 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on November 22, 2008, 01:40:30 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 21, 2008, 08:50:15 PM

The idea that any one religion has a monopoly on any societal strength (or weakness) is puppies. 
I hope you're not talking about the Protestant Ethic.

It was more about the Opinion piece.

Quote from: Your source
The notion of the Protestant work ethic faced some criticism in the 20th century. The strongest of such criticism was that it revolved mostly around the culture and history of Europe and did not take into account societies that had never been Christian. Examples often cited are East Asian nations like Japan which have a strong work ethic but never had more than a small minority of Protestants. Others feel that the recent economic progress of Catholic nations like Ireland and Brazil makes the term at best of historical use.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »

Quote from: Lee on November 22, 2008, 07:01:36 AM

Quote from: Eduardo X on November 22, 2008, 05:59:11 AM

While I am no fan of the religion, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Christmas doesn't have to be about religion, it's what you make it.

I used to struggle with the religious aspects of Christmas, too, and I assiduously avoided using that word for "the winter holidays". Personally, I celebrate the solstice. But since I now earn half of my annual income during November and December, I've come to see Christmas as a purely commercial event. The religious trappings are just part of the marketing. So Merry Christmas, everybody!

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2008, 05:08:52 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 22, 2008, 03:48:44 PM

I used to struggle with the religious aspects of Christmas, too, and I assiduously avoided using that word for "the winter holidays". Personally, I celebrate the solstice. But since I now earn half of my annual income during November and December, I've come to see Christmas as a purely commercial event. The religious trappings are just part of the marketing. So Merry Christmas, everybody!

That's pretty much how I see it. I have a lot of sentimental attachment to the 'spirit of Christmas', with the decorations, music, family get togethers, the food & of course ... buying cool stuff. I've never really thought of Christmas being "Jesus' birthday", except as kind of a side note. Ok, it's Jesus' birthday, yay, now where's my stuff?! smile

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2008, 04:49:29 PM »

I have to agree. Christmas is about family and friends and memories attached to them. The gifts and food are good too. I hit the church about every 4-5 years just to please the wife.

Christmas can be enjoyed without the religious angle. I know some people get into the stress of gift giving or over spending but those people would be that way regardless. For the rest of us it is just a good feeling....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: