http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 01:39:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heading to the St. Paul Obamarama  (Read 1122 times)
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2008, 01:32:59 AM »

Obama is coming to the St. Paul Xcel Energy Center Tuesday night to give a victory speech and it just so happens that I work in downtown St. Paul.  I'm going to head over straight from work and stand in line for the big event.  Doors don't open until 7:00 so I think I have a 50/50 chance of actually making it in.  At worst, I'll stand around and watch the historic moment on the Jumbotron.  I am pretty sure it will be wild whether I make it in or not. 

Obama, upon seeing me stuck outside in line:  "Go ahead, let him in but tell him no Chest Bumping..."

Saving the world one post at a time.
CSL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:08:41 AM »

Lucky bastard.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 04:11:09 AM »

Obama should pull one of these when he finally hits 2118.

icon_biggrin
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 04:59:53 AM »

If they serve kool-aid, don't drink it smile.
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 03:52:23 AM »

Wow...I put in a 10 hour day at work before heading over to the Xcel at 5:30.  At 5:55, I was in a line of undetermined length.  It took almost 2 1/2 hours of baby steps over 9 blocks but I did get in!  The line was reportedly over a mile long and once Obama took the stage, another 18,000 people watched outside on the exterior BigScreens.   

After standing in line for all that time, I was mighty parched so I chugged a couple of pitchers of Kool-Aid.  Damn if it wasn't the best tasting stuff I've ever had.

Seriously, even if you are a (R), you should consider a trip to hear Obama as he is probably the best public speaker of our day.   He lit that place on fire.  It should be a very spirited race between Obama and McCain.  One down, one to go...I

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:42:38 AM »

Quote from: helot2000 on June 04, 2008, 03:52:23 AM

Wow...I put in a 10 hour day at work before heading over to the Xcel at 5:30.  At 5:55, I was in a line of undetermined length.  It took almost 2 1/2 hours of baby steps over 9 blocks but I did get in!  The line was reportedly over a mile long and once Obama took the stage, another 18,000 people watched outside on the exterior BigScreens.   

After standing in line for all that time, I was mighty parched so I chugged a couple of pitchers of Kool-Aid.  Damn if it wasn't the best tasting stuff I've ever had.

Seriously, even if you are a (R), you should consider a trip to hear Obama as he is probably the best public speaker of our day.   He lit that place on fire.  It should be a very spirited race between Obama and McCain.  One down, one to go...I

There is a reason he has invoked Reagan several times (even though it brought him flack from some in the Democratic party).    He is very similiar in style and delivery.   He also patterned his message of optimism after him.     Clinton (Bill) had a very folksy, ordinary guy with an education thing going.    Reagan and now Obama both have (had) very visonary 'history in the making' type styles.    The public responds very well to natural born visonary speakers like both of them.   Yes, Obama is on the opposite side of the political spectrum as Reagan, but their styles are undeniaby similiar.

You could read this excerpt from Reagan's farewell address and easily hear Obama giving something very similiar:

The past few days when I've been at that window upstairs, I've thought a bit of the "shining city upon a hill." The phrase comes from John Winthrop, who wrote it to describe the America he imagined. What he imagined was important because he was an early Pilgrim, an early freedom man. He journeyed here on what today we'd call a little wooden boat; and like the other Pilgrims, he was looking for a home that would be free.

I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it and see it still.

And how stands the city on this winter night? More prosperous, more secure, and happier than it was eight years ago. But more than that; after 200 years, two centuries, she still stands strong and true on the granite ridge, and her glow has held steady no matter what storm. And she's still a beacon, still a magnet for all who must have freedom, for all the pilgrims from all the lost places who are hurtling through the darkness, toward home.

helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 03:05:27 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 04, 2008, 04:42:38 AM

There is a reason he has invoked Reagan several times (even though it brought him flack from some in the Democratic party).    He is very similar in style and delivery.   He also patterned his message of optimism after him.     Clinton (Bill) had a very folksy, ordinary guy with an education thing going.    Reagan and now Obama both have (had) very visionary 'history in the making' type styles.    The public responds very well to natural born visionary speakers like both of them.   Yes, Obama is on the opposite side of the political spectrum as Reagan, but their styles are undeniaby similar.

You could read this excerpt from Reagan's farewell address and easily hear Obama giving something very similar
Interesting point, ms.  This weekend, I'll pull up some of the Gipper on youtube and play this out.  I did a number of years of Toastmasters so I have more than a passing interest in speeches and rhetoric.  On the recommendation of my favorite Poly Sci prof., I went to a Jesse Jackson rally in 1984 just to hear him speak.  It's been 24 years but from what I can remember, Obama stylistically tops even Jackson.  My son watched the speech from home yesterday and today he asked me who Obama reminds me of in his style of speaking.  I guessed (roughly) MLK...his halting, phrasing and repeating key words over and over.  My son is a bright boy to have picked that up in his limited exposure to MLK in middle school.  I am especially in awe in light of my own weak abilities in this area.  I quit Toastmasters after some years because my improvements over time were pretty marginal.  Oh well, it's a skill you either have or don't. 

My photos from yesterday were pretty weak.  Here is the best of the bunch...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: