http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 10:43:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grats to Mr. Obama on the Nobel prize!  (Read 5541 times)
Brendan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2009, 04:40:12 PM »

It's entirely possible that none of those people were actually nominated. slywink
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 14, 2009, 03:33:32 PM

The problem is that Obama won it.  He's the Kenyan Super Devil Commie.  He can do no right and should receive no accolades for anything he does.  

Not because the Zero has accomplished anything.
A quick check of Politifact shows that Obama has completed 47 of his campaign promises, 7 broken, 12 compromised.  There are still 122 in the works with 12 stalled and 315 on the 'to do list'.   By simple mathematics that's pretty damned good.  You may disagree with what is being done, but clearly this is a guy who says he'll do something and then makes an honest attempt at it.  

Do I think he deserves anything approaching the Nobel Peace Prize? I don't think that's warranted at this point.  Is he trying to build a 'fraternity of nations'?  I think he honestly is.  (which will naturally be construed as 'bowing to the enemy'.)

It has nothing to do with him being Kenyan, because he isnt, he is an american, just like you and me.    And where I meant he has accomplished nothing is in things that matter, or at least should matter, when awarding someone the Nobel peace prize.    

As for things he has done in other areas, the promises he has broken are the things that I actually hoped he would do when he got into office.   Being more open about government and things of that nature.  
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2009, 04:48:42 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 14, 2009, 04:40:12 PM

It's entirely possible that none of those people were actually nominated. slywink

That's true, but it doesn't make his nonsense any less nonsense.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2009, 10:49:14 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 14, 2009, 02:54:58 PM

By that definition from the committee rules can anyone explain how Al Gore won the prize?

Invented internet? smile

I'm sure internet has a large contribution to the understanding between nations and world peace.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2009, 10:55:09 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on October 14, 2009, 04:10:47 PM

Quote from: Brendan on October 14, 2009, 03:51:37 PM

Quote from: Moliere on October 14, 2009, 03:45:24 PM

Quote from: Brendan on October 14, 2009, 03:13:57 PM

Quote from: Farscry on October 14, 2009, 02:47:05 PM

I hadn't read the actual Nobel mission statement before. I guess it depends on how strictly you interpret that statement, but I'll admit that a straight read of it does, in fact, exclude the efforts for women's rights (which are really more a case of fighting for basic human rights) mentioned earlier in the thread.

I would argue that it's quite reasonable to extrapolate from the core Nobel mission statement to interpret working for human rights as part of working towards the goal of world peace, but that's interpretive on my part.

I'd agree that it's a reasonable interpretation (and clearly women's rights are important!).

There are plenty of past winners that would fall under this vague category like Mother Theresa, MLK Jr., Norman Borlaug, etc. None of these people did anything directly towards ending wars between nations and yet they won the Peace prize.

It all falls into the fraternity bucket.

I agree, which is my point in responding to Victoria Raverna's nonsense about the Peace prize being unworthy of a woman who incites violence because she "fights" for women's rights, a hostage, "a bunch of janitors", a subversive that dares to fight state power, and a Chinese "troublemaker".

By the actual wordings and by the "fratenity" qualification, most of those didn't deserve a Nobel peace prize. That women's right activist turned politician is an Afghan woman working for Afghan women's right. Nothing international or fratenity of nations about that. That hostage is just a politician that got herself caught by rebel army, she didn't do anything toward world peace or fratenity of nations in solving problem by being a hostage. A bunch of janitors might fit with the "fratenity" part because they are international organization in cleaning up international mess. Subversive Chinese? Nothing international or world peace about that. All they care about is to change the situation in China and what they did isn't working toward peace, but working toward unstabling China which is opposite of peace.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2009, 02:34:51 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 14, 2009, 03:33:32 PM

He can do no right and should receive no accolades for anything he does.  

Wow. Just like GWB. Imagine that.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »

Four years later. Has Obama lived up to the Nobel Peace prize standard? Quick make your decision before he allies himself with Al Qaeda rebels and starts bombing Syria.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »

I hate it when I find out no government is perfect.   crybaby
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:28:12 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 27, 2013, 04:16:41 PM

Four years later. Has Obama lived up to the Nobel Peace prize standard? Quick make your decision before he allies himself with Al Qaeda rebels and starts bombing Syria.

I literally laughed at the thread title.

What an excellent and timely thread resurrect.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 27, 2013, 04:25:45 PM

I hate it when I find out no government is perfect.   crybaby

And I am not surprised by the partisan support of a President. Whether it is Democrat or Republican people tend to support the guy if he's a member of the "correct" party, making excuses and justifications for their change of view.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »

That's not really support.  It's just being realistic.  I wish I could be as naive as some.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 27, 2013, 04:50:43 PM

That's not really support.  It's just being realistic.  I wish I could be as naive as some.

Or one could be 'realistic' regardless of who is in the WH and not just when the candidate from one's party is, I think,  Moliere's point..
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »

While my point is that who is in the office is irrelevant.  This stuff has been happening since the birth of our nation...under Republicans AND Democrats.

Show me where in the post you're replying to in which I even remotely claim innocence for anyone?   My point is the exact opposite of what you're accusing me of.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:37:12 PM by hepcat » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: