http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:40:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grats to Mr. Obama on the Nobel prize!  (Read 6286 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:45:10 AM »

So, I saw in the news today that the US president (yes, there are a few people here for whom he isnt the president ;-) ) has recieved the Nobel peace prize! Congratulations...

Now I wonder, what does that mean to you guys? Glad? OR do you feel he should spend his time elsewhere than recieving such a prize, like his much debated visit in MY capital ;-)

Now, for me personally, I dont really know what he has done to win this prize, and it seems to be purely political, but I guess that particular prize IS just that... I guess some would also see it as a ploy to get the president more popularity in the common man...at least, I see it that way :-)

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »

In my opinion, Obamas removal of the rocket shield in eastern Europe has done more for world peace than anything else in a long while. That alone should count for a lot.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »

I don't understand what he's actually accomplished that makes him deserving of the prize. I'm not opposed to him getting it due to political nonsense...but what exactly has he done?

Quote from: TiLT on October 09, 2009, 11:07:02 AM

In my opinion, Obamas removal of the rocket shield in eastern Europe has done more for world peace than anything else in a long while. That alone should count for a lot.

This is probably the most significant line of thought I've heard so far, but still...he's saying he not going to do something that hasn't even been done in the first place. Is that really enough? He's getting the prize based on rhetoric alone?

Don't get me wrong...I don't believe that the Nobel Peace Prize really amounts to jack squat in these times, and it doesn't matter who gets it, but I find this just as puzzling as some of the more recent winners. Kissinger? Arafat? Gore?

The peace prize seems to have become more of a political tool than an award for tangible results towards peace.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 12:58:41 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 09, 2009, 11:07:02 AM

That was the first thing I thought of also.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 01:12:14 PM »

The award has become a joke in the last few years anyway, so I guess its fitting someone like Obama wins it this year.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:41:31 PM »

It seems to continue the pattern of rewarding the guy for being a good speaker and what he might do than what he has actually accomplished. If nominations were really finalized in early February than this is even more of a joke.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 01:47:22 PM »

Total joke. 

The deadline for nominations is February 1, meaning Obama would've been nominated after being in office for just 11 days.

Back when he had a good approval rating.. lol

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 02:02:07 PM »

Europe is just trying to remind us how much they hated us over the past 8 years. Pretty juvenile, really. It'll be interesting to see how Obama handles this-- it could be a tough tightrope to walk.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 02:23:19 PM »

It is essentially the world's parting "frack you!" to GWBush.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 02:32:13 PM »

Thats an interesting perspective certainly... But one that not all state leaders share.

For instance, here in Denmark some leaders of the political parties are very surprised at the nomination, and actually wants answers from the Nobel comittee as to WHY he was selected for this price.

So, while you may think of Europe as one great big entity, which seems to be the fault of many americans,  I can tell you it really isnt so.

A new one
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 02:46:51 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on October 09, 2009, 01:47:22 PM

Total joke. 

The deadline for nominations is February 1, meaning Obama would've been nominated after being in office for just 11 days.

Back when he had a good approval rating.. lol

100 percent agreement.  How about giving it to someone who has actually DONE something, not just promises.  Who knows, maybe someone day he might deserve it, but too soon at this juncture.   Give me a list of what HE has actually DONE other than tout an open-arm policy to those who would just as soon see us dead and gone like the old Roman Empire?

Total absolute joke and just another affirmation to me, along with Gore's win, why the Nobel Prize is all politics and has no real merit.  At least Gore had pictures though.  I'll give him that.  Oh, and he created the internet.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »

it's the consolation prize for having lost the Olympic bid  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on October 09, 2009, 02:23:19 PM

That's how I see this....Obama has done nothing yet, not that he couldn't but he just hasn't had time. The award was given because Obama speaks to a different audience than Bush did....but speaking is all he has done.

thumbsdown
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »

Yeah, this is weird. While Obama's moved in a lot of Nobel Peace Prize sorta directions, none of them are complete, or even all that substantially along, and were only lists of policy proposals back in February. Not the pick I would have made, had I been on the committee. Maybe in two years, when American forces have dramatically reduced in Iraq, and he's had a couple of Israeli-Palestinian conferences or something (if he can get Netanyahu to be sensible), but now?

Two things, though:

1. This, I think, shows just how dramatically the world feels less threatened and destabilized by the fact that George W. Bush is no longer president. Probably not an unreasonable reaction from the rest of the world, if expressed in a rather weird way.

2. You don't turn these sorts of things down, as some people have been saying he should. It's just not done. What he should do in his acceptance remarks is turn the award into one that is recognizing America's capacity to be a force for good in the world, and the aspirations the world holds for our future, etc.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 04:20:28 PM »

I understand he's a serious contender for Oscar night as well.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 04:25:31 PM »

An interesting stat posted from Reason:

Civilian casualties (est.) in two wars being waged by the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize:

Afghanistan, Feb-July: 886
Iraq, Feb-Aug: 2,629

At least one person who declined the Peace Prize because his country was still not at peace:
Le Duc Tho
1973 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 05:07:58 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 09, 2009, 03:51:48 PM

What he should do in his acceptance remarks is turn the award into one that is recognizing America's capacity to be a force for good in the world, and the aspirations the world holds for our future, etc.

That's exactly what he did this morning:

"Let me be clear I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations," he said. "...This award must be shared with everyone who strives for justice and dignity."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 05:24:08 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 09, 2009, 05:07:58 PM

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 09, 2009, 03:51:48 PM

What he should do in his acceptance remarks is turn the award into one that is recognizing America's capacity to be a force for good in the world, and the aspirations the world holds for our future, etc.

That's exactly what he did this morning:

"Let me be clear I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations," he said. "...This award must be shared with everyone who strives for justice and dignity."

It won't be enough for Republicans (and clearly, Libertarians) though.   If Obama was seen eating a bacon sammich, they'd wage war against bacon just to spite him.   

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 06:22:06 PM »

If it's true that nominations for the award ended Feb 1, then HOW ON EARTH could Obama be worthy of this..........just sayin.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 06:23:21 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on October 09, 2009, 06:22:06 PM

If it's true that nominations for the award ended Feb 1, then HOW ON EARTH could Obama be worthy of this..........just sayin.

When do you think they vote, Scuzz?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on October 09, 2009, 02:23:19 PM

Because the previous awards to Al Gore and Jimmy Carter were too subtle, right?  Tongue The Nobel committee is dominated by liberal Swedes who aren't shy about making political statements -- which is what the Peace Prize is, after all.

I guess if Obama orders 40,000 more troops into Afghanistan he has to call them "peacekeepers" now. (Actually, the way he handles Afg. over the next few years, plus his success or failure at preventing Iran from going nuclear, will go a long way toward justifying this prize or making a farce of it).

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 07:43:39 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 09, 2009, 07:33:31 PM

The Nobel committee is dominated by liberal Swedes who aren't shy about making political statements -- which is what the Peace Prize is, after all.

The Peace Prize is Norwegians.  All the others are the Swedes.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »

This is probably the most significant line of thought I've heard so far, but still...he's saying he not going to do something that hasn't even been done in the first place. Is that really enough? He's getting the prize based on rhetoric alone?

its not just about rhetoric though.  the announcement of the shield in the first place was the us effectively withdrawing from a long standing treaty.  this in turn lead to russia's withdrawal from a treaty limiting conventional forces in europe.  and it probably also played a roll in russia reasserting itself aggressively and in one case militarily in the region.

the shield wasnt "just something that hasnt even been done in the first place" it had profound effects russo-european-us relationships.  as far as russia was concerned it was pretty much THE foreign policy issue

that said, depending on when the vote took place, this may or may not even have played a part in the voting, which would turn this vote into, as many others have said, an F-U to bush.  and i fully expect the oscar to be forthcoming
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 08:27:33 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 09, 2009, 06:23:21 PM

Quote from: Scuzz on October 09, 2009, 06:22:06 PM

When do you think they vote, Scuzz?

I don't know. I have heard the date of Feb 1 thrown around as a nomination date. Makes you wonder how many people get nominated "just in case" they do something good.

oh, I assume you are going to tell me when the vote was. And even if it was this morning before the announcement it still doesn't change the fact that this award was madefor only one of two reasons, 1. to screw Bush...2. as a Obama "will" save the world award.

ps....I don't hold this as a strike against Obama...more like a sign how stupid the Nobel Committee is.....
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »

No serious person is disputing that awarding Obama the Nobel prize is a complete farce -- and frankly I'm sure Obama would rather not have won it.  I'm pretty sure most Europeans are a little embarrassed by this as well.  But, If you really want to try to justify it rationally, well, good luck with that (though, moving the missile defense thingy was the first thing I thought of as well ). 

I'm glad he won it, however, because it is amusing and should keep The Onion busy for a while.  Anyway, I'm not one of those Republicans that wants the rest of the world to hate us, so in that sense it is a positive to have a President that people want to love -- even if this love manifests itself in truly bizarre moments like this.  I'd have preferred the Olympics. 
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 09:02:29 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on October 09, 2009, 08:57:03 PM

No serious person is disputing that awarding Obama the Nobel prize is a complete farce
I'm not so sure of that. The fanboyism for Obama is pretty high in some of the ultra-partisans on this forum.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »

At least the Obama fanboys have kept the theme consistent that its all the fault of that evil Bush guy.   We can look forward to that being the theme of everything for the next 3 years or so.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 09:35:22 PM »

It's embarassing. He won it because he 'gives the world hope'. What crap.

I actually thought he was going to turn it down, but I guess that would cause an even bigger mess.  I bet he's sitting in his office going 'they've got to be kidding.'

But then again, when have awards been about those who actually deserve them? 
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 09:36:48 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 09, 2009, 07:43:39 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on October 09, 2009, 07:33:31 PM

The Nobel committee is dominated by liberal Swedes who aren't shy about making political statements -- which is what the Peace Prize is, after all.

The Peace Prize is Norwegians.  All the others are the Swedes.

You're right, I misremembered this bit from today's paper: "Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which are awarded by Swedish institutions, the peace prize is given out by a five-member committee elected by the Norwegian Parliament. Like the Parliament, the committee has a leftist slant, with three members elected by left-of-center parties. "

Those people all look alike to me anyway.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 09:39:33 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 09, 2009, 09:35:22 PM

I actually thought he was going to turn it down, but I guess that would cause an even bigger mess.  I bet he's sitting in his office going 'they've got to be kidding.'

I heard on the radio that he will donate the $1.5 million prize to various charities...so perhaps that will do some good, anyway.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 09, 2009, 09:39:33 PM

I heard on the radio that he will donate the $1.5 million prize to various charities...so perhaps that will do some good, anyway.

hope he pays the taxes on it too Tongue
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »

He doesn't deserve it, and should decline the "honor". Our country is still at war and more troops will soon be sent to the Middle East. Our military is still deployed, in various roles, in nearly 100 countries. His term is still in its infancy. I would have much more respect for him, and so would the world at large, if he simply stated that there are people far more deserving of the award.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »

He did say that he doesn't feel that he's earned it. But, again, if he turns it down, it's not like there's a runner up to whom it goes -- it'll still go to him, he just won't get the money (which he's giving away). Whether he chooses to "accept" it or not, Barack Obama is the Nobel Peace Prize Laureate for 2009.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 02:40:20 AM »

Quote from: naednek on October 09, 2009, 09:52:51 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on October 09, 2009, 09:39:33 PM

I actually thought he was going to turn it down, but I guess that would cause an even bigger mess.  I bet he's sitting in his office going 'they've got to be kidding.'

hope he pays the taxes on it too Tongue

I was thinking the US Treasury might be a worthy charity in this case.

If I was Obama, I'd give two weeks' notice on Monday and retire to the Caribbean. I would, of course, use the pirate resignation letter.

Hrnac
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 03:22:37 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 09, 2009, 09:27:39 PM

At least the Obama fanboys have kept the theme consistent that its all the fault of that evil Bush guy.   We can look forward to that being the theme of everything for the next 3 years or so.

The truth hurts. Get used to it.

-Hrnac

Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 03:57:53 AM »

Quote from: Hrnac on October 10, 2009, 03:22:37 AM

-Hrnac

Hrnac
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 04:21:54 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 10, 2009, 03:57:53 AM

-Hrnac

A typical response from a Party of No member. Nothing.

I do admire your ability to add smilies to your posts. That is a real talent. You should be proud.

-Hrnac

Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 04:32:47 AM »

Quote from: Hrnac on October 10, 2009, 04:21:54 AM

Quote from: brettmcd on October 10, 2009, 03:57:53 AM

-Hrnac

I do admire your ability to add smilies to your posts. That is a real talent. You should be proud.

-Hrnac

As usual you have everything wrong here, I am not a republican, that was your first mistake.   Your second one was thinking that drivel like you posted deserved any more of a response then this.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 09:26:20 AM »

Quote from: Hrnac on October 10, 2009, 04:21:54 AM

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, Hrnac. I was about to applaud you for making a post without that moronic "Party of No" crap, then you blow it with the very next post.

At least glom onto something new if you are so inarticulate that you must speak with catch phrases.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 02:44:49 PM »

A few years from now no one will remember he won it for no reason and it'll just become another lie in politics.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: