http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 02:48:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Governor Eliot Spitzer of New York tied to prostitution ring  (Read 4848 times)
IkeVandergraaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2008, 11:49:21 PM »

According to the New York Times.

Did I miss this getting posted elsewhere?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 01:24:25 AM »

this guy did some great work as ag and he had to go f#%* it all up with this

im sure there are quite a few happy people though
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 06:04:01 AM »

Yeah, most of them are the oligarchs on Wall Street.

This is a pretty common storyline.  Too bad it happened with a guy who actually accomplished something positive prior to this.  What a moron.  He busted several big prostitution rings while he was AG - did he really think he'd be able to stay under the radar?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 12:30:38 PM »

This is the guy who broke a lot of major cases and brought a lot of bad things into light no?  If he's who I think he is, yeah this is a terrible shame as it sounds like he's kind of guy who could get things done for the overall good...even though he always had political motivations at heart.

What a mess. He seemed like a real untouchables kinda guy.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 12:36:38 PM »

$5000 an hour???

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »

The sexual repression that is part of the north american culture is ridiculous. The only person who should be upset about this is himself and his wife, as he had broken a contract that stated monogamy.

You'd think that people expect their politicians to somehow have transcended human weakness. At least it wasn't an emotional relationship.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:12:39 PM »

Do you understand the part where prostitution and solicitation are illegal in that state?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 11, 2008, 01:00:08 PM

The sexual repression that is part of the north american culture is ridiculous. The only person who should be upset about this is himself and his wife, as he had broken a contract that stated monogamy.

You'd think that people expect their politicians to somehow have transcended human weakness. At least it wasn't an emotional relationship.

I think if he would have been just cheating on his wife that would be acceptable.  But the fact that he broke the law and made his career partially by busting up prostitution rings kind of makes him appear untrustwothy.  Don't you think?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:22:46 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 01:39:03 PM »

"in that state" Key words. Also, why is it illegal? Would it not benefit society if it were legalized to protect the people in the industry, tax it just as any other G&S? Seriously folks, sex is a basic human need.

What if his wife was all frigid, or he had a serious addiction? Yes, breaking the law is bad. Cheating is bad. Ooo, a politician got caught paying to screw someone over; usually they are the ones getting paid to screw people over. Do you have no sense of irony? The fact that people's personal (sexual) lives indirectly derail their political position is about as childish as kids giggling at the word poopie. Get the church out of state (which is where prostitution's illegality comes into play).

Besides, there have been comments lamenting the loss of someone who was truly doing good. Does the illicit intercourse sessions he's been having change the progress he's made? It tarnishes his image, he's going to face some charges for breaking the law, but more importantly he's got his personal life to get back on track. It just seems like a silly thing to hold against someone.

I do agree that his credibility is in question, although it's oft told tale where working with corruption will lead to corruptive behaviour if unchecked. So was it working with prostitution the corruption that led him to break the law, or the corruption of politics? slywink
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 01:41:16 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 01:44:33 PM »

How can you tell whether it's a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episode you've walked into?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 01:55:32 PM »

Check if you have any control over the horizontal or the vertical.

-Autistic Angel
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 02:54:54 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 11, 2008, 01:44:33 PM

How can you tell whether it's a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episode you've walked into?

There'd be a Rod Serling introduction and some spooky music.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 03:19:06 PM »

What a retard..."Mr Clean" huh?  LOL he should be fired.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »

His wife kind of looks like a cold fish.  I guess I can understand it now.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 04:30:28 PM »

It's not just the cheating, or the lawbreaking, or the sex.  It's the lack of judgment that concerns me.  He brought the prostitute across state lines, from New York to Washington DC, bringing it under federal jurisdiction and subject to federal human trafficking laws.  Do they not have whores in DC any more?  I mean, I appreciate him supporting the New York State economy, but this is colosally stupid.

I agree that prostitution should be legal, but it's not.  This is the chief officer of one of the largest states in the country.  He made a name for himself in part breaking up prostitution rings.  He cannot be transporting whores across state lines to illegally have sex with them.  There is no ambiguity here.

And this is not partisan.  I voted for the man.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 04:33:34 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 04:35:03 PM »

ZOMG Breaking news at CNN! slywink

A top legislative staffer says N.Y. Gov. Eliot Spitzer, who is linked to a prostitution ring, is holding transition meetings
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »

It's kind of amazing how the Republicans have been screaming for his resignation... but are going WAY out of their way to pretend David Vitter doesn't exist.  Or Larry Craig.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 11, 2008, 04:30:28 PM

It's not just the cheating, or the lawbreaking, or the sex.  It's the lack of judgment that concerns me.  He brought the prostitute across state lines, from New York to Washington DC, bringing it under federal jurisdiction and subject to federal human trafficking laws.  Do they not have whores in DC any more?  I mean, I appreciate him supporting the New York State economy, but this is colosally stupid.

I agree that prostitution should be legal, but it's not.  This is the chief officer of one of the largest states in the country.  He made a name for himself in part breaking up prostitution rings.  He cannot be transporting whores across state lines to illegally have sex with them.  There is no ambiguity here.

As far as I can tell:

1.  He smurfed funds, which is what drew attention in the first place:

2.  He ordered prostitutes over the phone, including over the phone over state lines.

3.  He arranged for a prostitute to cross state lines to service him while he was on a government-business trip in a famous hotel.

4.  He wanted to engage in unsafe sex with a prostitute.

I'm seriously wondering whether he was living his life not as a person, but as a character Criminal Law exam question.

My problems with him:

1.  He is doing stuff almost certain to get him caught.  Under the Gary Hart rule, he is too stupid to live, let alone to serve as governor.
2.  He wants to fuck whores without a rubber, apparently, and then go home to his wife.  That makes him an irredeemable douchebag.
3.  I wouldn't give a shit if he has an arrangement with his wife where he can fuck whomever he wants.  But apparently he doesn't.  So he not only betrayed her, but betrayed her in the manner substantially likely to result in her public humiliation.  I don't buy the notion that people who breach trust with their spouses won't just as quickly breach trust with their constituents.
4.  He's prosecuted people for prostitution and for financial crimes (if not smurfing, then things at least as abstract).  He's blustered about it.  He's ridden righteousness about it into the governor's office.  Meanwhile he's doing it.  Scumbag.
5.  Did I mention he's a moron?

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 05:47:18 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on March 11, 2008, 05:40:52 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 11, 2008, 04:30:28 PM

As far as I can tell:

1.  He smurfed funds, which is what drew attention in the first place:

2.  He ordered prostitutes over the phone, including over the phone over state lines.

3.  He arranged for a prostitute to cross state lines to service him while he was on a government-business trip in a famous hotel.

4.  He wanted to engage in unsafe sex with a prostitute.

I'm seriously wondering whether he was living his life not as a person, but as a character Criminal Law exam question.

My problems with him:

1.  He is doing stuff almost certain to get him caught.  Under the Gary Hart rule, he is too stupid to live, let alone to serve as governor.
2.  He wants to fuck whores without a rubber, apparently, and then go home to his wife.  That makes him an irredeemable douchebag.
3.  I wouldn't give a shit if he has an arrangement with his wife where he can fuck whomever he wants.  But apparently he doesn't.  So he not only betrayed her, but betrayed her in the manner substantially likely to result in her public humiliation.  I don't buy the notion that people who breach trust with their spouses won't just as quickly breach trust with their constituents.
4.  He's prosecuted people for prostitution and for financial crimes (if not smurfing, then things at least as abstract).  He's blustered about it.  He's ridden righteousness about it into the governor's office.  Meanwhile he's doing it.  Scumbag.
5.  Did I mention he's a moron?

All True.  But his wife does look like a cold fish.

Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 11, 2008, 05:47:18 PM

And he looks like a poorly conceived Muppet wielded by someone with a bad hand cramp.  So what?

And what does a cold fish look like, anyway?

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on March 11, 2008, 05:52:55 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on March 11, 2008, 05:47:18 PM

And he looks like a poorly conceived Muppet wielded by someone with a bad hand cramp.  So what?

And what does a cold fish look like, anyway?

Guys who look like muppets + wives who don't put out = Guys who spend $5000 on hookers.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »

Some are missing the irony this guy made his rep as a hard-nosed DA who prosecuted, among other things, prostitution rings. Isn't it ironic, don't ya think?  disgust icon_lol At best, he's just a complete idiot and hypocrite. Unfortunately, he's not in showbiz, in which case he could go on Leno and Letterman, plead "mea culpa" and it would all gently blow over in about 2 weeks.  Roll Eyes

As a reporter for most of the last 20 years, I'm always trying to write in active voice. Somehow politicians, and baseball players accused of steroid use always find a way to speak in passive voice as if they had somehow stepped outside their body and some other humanoid had done something foolish. Something along the lines of...

"I was befallen by poor judgement and terrible decision making for which forgiveness is something I beg of you, the public."

Or maybe...

"I was injected in the buttocks by Joe Schmoe and was told by him to believe that the hypodermic was filled with Vitamin B-666."

Or...

"That may have been what was heard by my teammate. However, what was said by me was not intended to be given that type of meaning."

Roll Eyes Ohmigod. Just beware of "passive voice" in press conferences and interviews. The more "passive," the more they're trying to avoid responsibility for their actions, at all costs.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 06:30:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 06:33:40 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 11, 2008, 06:21:10 PM

Some are missing the irony this guy made his rep as a hard-nosed DA who prosecuted, among other things, prostitution rings. Isn't it ironic, don't ya think?  disgust icon_lol At best, he's just a complete idiot and hypocrite. Unfortunately, he's not in showbiz, in which case he could go on Leno and Letterman, plead "mea culpa" and it would all gently blow over in about 2 weeks.  Roll Eyes

That particular point has been mentioned like 13 times in this thread-no one is missing it that I see.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »

Looks like he's done.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/11/spitzer/index.html

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »

Idiot.

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 07:50:10 PM »

Now NBC is reporting that he may have spent $15,000 on hookers in the last 3 months.   icon_eek

That is Republican level hooker money!!!

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 08:03:25 PM »

It's great that the GT braintrust can heap blame on the wife for a husband's adultery.  Classy group here.  thumbsdown
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 08:14:32 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 11, 2008, 08:03:25 PM

It's great that the GT braintrust can heap blame on the wife for a husband's adultery.  Classy group here.  thumbsdown

I think that sentiment is hardly universal - in fact, I only see one person pushing that meme.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 08:20:15 PM »

Oh lighten up!!

This is the political and religious forum.  You can't take anything said here seriously.

Any minute now Unbreakable is going to say this is all a right wing conspiracy to get rid of Spitzer.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm Kidding.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:27:25 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 09:09:17 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 11, 2008, 08:03:25 PM

Glad you fit right in!

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 09:12:17 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 11, 2008, 08:20:15 PM

Oh lighten up!!

This is the political and religious forum.  You can't take anything said here seriously.

True that!

Any minute now Unbreakable is going to say this is all a right wing conspiracy to get rid of Spitzer.

I kind of did already:

Quote from: unbreakable on March 11, 2008, 04:58:56 PM

It's kind of amazing how the Republicans have been screaming for his resignation... but are going WAY out of their way to pretend David Vitter doesn't exist.  Or Larry Craig.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 11, 2008, 09:12:17 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on March 11, 2008, 08:20:15 PM

Oh lighten up!!

True that!

I kind of did already:

Quote from: unbreakable on March 11, 2008, 04:58:56 PM

Wow.  I missed it.  I think the subtlety threw me off.

Nice work.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »

Well, he's quitting effective Monday.  I have mixed feelings. 

(Stage 1 - The Act Itself)
These $5000 call-girls know what they're doing - and they're making great money doing it.  And I have really no issues with this type of thing happening between consenting adults.  Prostitution, as far as I'm concerned, is one of those victimless crimes - and probably shouldn't be a crime - as long as it's between consenting adults.  It's when you get into the drugs, violence, underage prostitutes and the coercion that it's no longer a victimless crime.  But that's not what happened here...so I have no real problem with the "act".

(Stage 2 - The Lack of Judgement)
I'm a little more disappointed in how it hurts his family and the lack of personal judgement he displayed.  That's not impeachable - it's personal - but it would cause me to not vote for him.  If you're the kind of guy who is going to cheat on his wife, I don't feel that's the kind of person I'd want in a position of power (John McCain, are you listening!?!?).

(Stage 3 - Hypocracy)
However, if you're going to make your career by crusading against such activity and stake out the moral high ground, doing this shows you're a hypocrite.  You can't be a "moral crusader" and then spend tens of thousands on prostitutes.  I don't think his "crime" is enough to impeach him, but it's probably for the best that he resigns.  After all, any credibility he had is entirely shot.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 07:06:16 PM »

What a sticky situation.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 08:51:03 PM »

It's always the hippos.  Fucking hippos.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 10:45:31 PM »

You can't be a "moral crusader" and then spend tens of thousands on prostitutes.

i dont know about that - maybe you cant be a moral crusader if you spend TENS of dollars on hookers.  but i mean tens of thousands? come on youre doing the right thing and putting that girl through college smile

and i had to see what the daily show would do with this, so i watched last night - sure enough it was quality stuff -

"weve been hearing that hes somehow connected and tied to this prostitution ring - where exactly is the link?"

"his penis john.  hes linked to this prostitution ring by his penis" (a poor summary of course, but very funny)
unbreakable
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 02:02:55 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on March 12, 2008, 10:45:31 PM

i dont know about that - maybe you cant be a moral crusader if you spend TENS of dollars on hookers.  but i mean tens of thousands? come on youre doing the right thing and putting that girl through college smile

Of course.  They use the same logic which states that you can't be a champion for the rights of poor people if you spend more than, say, $30 on a haircut.

Because as every man knows, if you have sex with a woman you aren't married to, that makes you thoroughly evil, and obviously you are incapable of doing any good in your life.  Unless you are David Vitter, of course, then it just proves you are a strong virile "bad boy".  Or if you are Larry Craig, it proves you are, um, you were just the victim of a vicious smear campaign from the dude in the next stall (and the police, and the prosecutor, and the judge, and the libr00l medias)... and all you wanted was some toilet paper.

Now I'm not going to defend the guy (especially since I think cheating on a spouse is pretty scummy), but the fevered pitch of this story is really out of hand.  Especially when the Republicans are harboring two congressional philanderers of their own.

It's like Bill Clinton got a blow job all over again.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 02:04:31 AM by unbreakable » Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 02:17:35 AM »

Uh, he likes hookers a lot. saywhat

Other rumors flying around say he blew, so to speak, some $80,000 on hookers over the last ten years. I'm surprised the man is still alive considering his wife's level of humiliation. Of course, this recalls Jim "I'm not gay, oh wait" McGreevy more than anything else. In both cases, I genuinely feel sorry for the wives and just shake my head at the politicos.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008, 05:00:20 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 13, 2008, 02:02:55 AM

It's like Bill Clinton got a blow job all over again.

And Clinton's Legacy..

It depends on what the definition of is is.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 06:01:23 AM »

Dude, you are making an even greater leap of faith than usual if you think Bill Clinton is responsible for teen STDs.

In fact, our current president has done an incredible amount of damage to sex education practices in this country.  If you actually cared about solving the problem, rather than attempting to score cheap political points, you'd examine the net effect of the two terms of Mr. Bush.

Let's look at the track record of some of the abstinence programs he's thrown taxpayer dollars at:

'Abstinence Only Sex Ed Ineffective
Abstinence Ineffective in HIV, Pregnancy Prevention
MINNESOTA: State's Abstinence-Only Sex Education Doesn't Work Any Better, Report Says

We've now wasted 1.5 billion dollars on this garbage since 1998 - money which could've been spent funding effective sex ed programs that teach people about contraception and prevention in addition to abstinence.  But no, dogma is more important than health to Republicans and the religious right.  As the Texas Republicans showed us last year, they'd rather let girls die from cervical cancer than have premarital sex.

I will grant that Bush has been fantastically successful at redirecting the federal coffers to "faith-based" organizations.  I guess that's one way to take care of the base.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: