http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 01:56:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Government spent nearly $3.7M on ex-presidents in 2012  (Read 233 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:46:52 AM »

Being the leader of the free world is an expensive proposition. And the costs don't stop once you leave the White House.

The government spent nearly $3.7 million on former presidents in 2012, according to an analysis just released by the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service. That covers a pension, compensation and benefits for office staff, and the government also picks up the tab for other costs like travel, office space and postage.

The costliest former president? George W. Bush, who clocked in last year at just over $1.3 million.

The $3.7 million taxpayers shelled out in 2012 is about $200,000 less than in 2011, and the sum in 2010 was even higher. It's a drop in the bucket compared with the trillions the federal government spends each year.

Still, with ex-presidents able to command eye-popping sums for books, speaking engagements and the like in their post-White House years, the report raises questions about whether the U.S. should provide such generous subsidies at a time when spending cuts and the deficit are forcing lawmakers and federal agencies to seek ways to cut back.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/25/government-spent-nearly-37m-on-ex-presidents-in-2012/

The benefits of being a tax payer.  icon_biggrin

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »

I have no issue with it.  I don't care what they make in their personal post-service lives.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 26, 2013, 02:48:00 PM

I have no issue with it.  I don't care what they make in their personal post-service lives.

+1.  They should be protected till they die.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 26, 2013, 03:05:26 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 26, 2013, 02:48:00 PM

+1.  They should be protected till they die.

There's a difference between secret service protection and getting free office space, postage, and travel.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »

Let's provide some context.  The Former Presidents Act  was signed in 1958 because Harry Truman couldn't afford his office staff.  (History PDF).

in 1994, Clinton dialed back the Secret Service protection to 10 years post-office.  Obama restored lifetime protection to Bush, himself, and all subsequent presidents by signing a bill in January of this year. 

And there's a cap on how much the presidents get to spend on their staff. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: