http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 09:31:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gore endorses Obama  (Read 7131 times)
Brendan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 05:27:19 PM »

Yes, Cheeba claims African-Americans will vote for Obama "because he looks like them," (ignoring, of course, that they've voted for white democrats for decades in the same proportions). 

Sock puppet.  "Curious George" t-shirt.  "Family photo".

I can't imagine any other reason why they'd support a democrat.
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 05:44:51 PM »

I agree that the race card is being played way too much.

Hell, look at this 177 page book all about it.

Just a little hiccup.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »

Gotta be honest.  I kinda leave my humor at the door when I walk into this subforum.  Perhaps that's why I missed the 'humor' of Cheebas post.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 07:45:01 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 20, 2008, 05:27:19 PM

Yes, Cheeba claims African-Americans will vote for Obama "because he looks like them," (ignoring, of course, that they've voted for white democrats for decades in the same proportions). 

Sock puppet.  "Curious George" t-shirt.  "Family photo".

I can't imagine any other reason why they'd support a democrat.

I cant imagine any reason why a person would support a dem, or a repub for that matter anymore.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 20, 2008, 02:48:02 PM

So I guess no justification.  Baseless accusation it seems.
Holy shit dude. I am astonished that anyone who clearly read this thread could see my "She's so racist!" statement as anything BUT sarcasm, especially when I pretty much outright said I was being sarcastic in the last post!

Let me be as clear as I can be. I was being sarcastic. I do not believe Michelle Obama is a racist for calling her own husband her baby's daddy. I don't see how anyone could possibly think otherwise, but there ya go.

As for WHY I said, "She's so racist!", since it's obvious that things need to be spelled out to the letter here: I was making fun of those who were saying me calling Obama her "babies' daddy" is racist.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 08:15:28 PM by cheeba » Logged
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 08:36:53 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 20, 2008, 04:31:42 PM

Ron, although it's true that cheeba is a hilariously unimaginative troll, he isn't trolling in quite the way you think.  Let me try to walk you through his idea of "humor."
Kid, you know nothing about me or my idea of humor. I love how you bookmark every statement I make in your mind though. I've obviously had quite an impact on you, lol.
Since the phrase "baby mama" is racially-charged slang for "some girl I knocked up," most people found it highly inappropriate at best and outright race-baiting at worst.
It was inappropriate but not racist, and a bit funny. But inappropriate things are often funny, even when they happen to someone you like.

Now bring on the stalking references!
cheeba, being no stranger to race-baiting himself, found it hilarious because it rhymed and defended Fox by arguing that the slur is technically true.
Whee!

When I said black people vote for Obama because he looks like them, and that they should be shamed into shutting up, I was also being sarcastic. Let me be clear, there is some truth to the fact that some, probably many, black people will vote for Obama solely because he is black. The real sarcasm came in the following sentence where I made fun of how ridiculous it was of Brendan to suggest that any group who says something he dislikes should be "shamed" into shutting up.

I did not find the Obama's baby's mama thing "hilarious." I found it giggle-worthy. I did not find it funny because it rhymed. I said that the reason they put that up there was because it rhymed.

Really dude, with your history of not having the capacity to understand ANY of my posts, why don't you just ask me nicely to explain them next time?
I can't say whether or not cheeba thinks Michelle Obama is a racist or not, but I don't think he was making such an accusation in this thread.  As far as why he doesn't simply say that himself...? icon_confused
I shouldn't have had to say it myself, it should have been pretty goddamned obvious that I was not calling a black woman a racist for saying that her black husband was her baby's daddy. If it wasn't immediately obvious, then it should have been much clearer when I stated, "You really think I was calling Michelle Obama a racist for calling Barack Obama her baby's daddy? I know sarcasm is difficult to get across in writing, but come on!"
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 20, 2008, 08:13:56 PM

...I'm just making lame excuses for race baiting...

It was sarcasm!  Really!
It was humor!  Really!
I was trolling!  Really!

Fixed that for you.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 09:12:44 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 20, 2008, 07:34:00 PM

Gotta be honest.  I kinda leave my humor at the door when I walk into this subforum.  Perhaps that's why I missed the 'humor' of Cheebas post.
Why would you ever do such a thing? By its very nature, politics is funny.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 09:15:15 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on June 20, 2008, 08:47:30 PM

It was sarcasm!  Really!
It was humor!  Really!
I was trolling!  Really!

Fixed that for you.
Case in point. It's only in a political forum that you can find someone so devoid of intelligence.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 20, 2008, 09:15:15 PM

It was sarcasm!  Really!
It was humor!  Really!
I was trolling!  Really!

Fixed that for you.
Case in point. It's only in a political forum that you can find someone so devoid of intelligence.

But it was humor!  Obviously, it's your fault that you have no sense of humor.  Really dude, with your history of not having the capacity to understand ANY of my posts, why don't you just ask me nicely to explain them next time?    stirthepot

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 20, 2008, 09:15:15 PM

It was sarcasm!  Really!
It was humor!  Really!
I was trolling!  Really!

Fixed that for you.

There is very little point in arguing or trying to explain anything to some of the people here, you are a conservative, so you are automatically evil and all of that in their eyes.   Its why this is not a very active political discussion forum here.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 11:05:46 PM »

The latest Newsweek poll just came out today.

Obama has a 15-point lead over McCain, 51-36.

Party ID numbers are included.  55 percent of the country are Democrats (or lean D), and just 36 percent swing towards the Republicans.

Women prefer Obama by 21 points, 54-33, and former Clinton supporters prefer him 69/18 over McCain.  Go figure.

Good times!  Keep it up, B!
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2008, 11:21:25 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 20, 2008, 11:05:46 PM

Party ID numbers are included.  55 percent of the country are Democrats (or lean D), and just 36 percent swing towards the Republicans.

Women prefer Obama by 21 points, 54-33, and former Clinton supporters prefer him 69/18 over McCain.  Go figure.

To be more accurate one would say that 55% of the respondants to this poll are dem or lean dem.    So its not a big surprise when your poll has almost 20% more people of one party responding that the candidate of that party is in the lead.   If I took a poll with 55% repubs and 36% dems I am sure the results would be different.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2008, 11:24:53 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on June 20, 2008, 11:21:25 PM

To be more accurate one would say that 55% of the respondants to this poll are dem or lean dem.    So its not a big surprise when your poll has almost 20% more people of one party responding that the candidate of that party is in the lead.   If I took a poll with 55% repubs and 36% dems I am sure the results would be different.

Lets give him a big hand, folks!

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2008, 11:26:35 PM »

brettmcd, you don't have any idea how polling works, do you?

Here's their methodology.  Please point out any statistical errors.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2008, 11:29:52 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 20, 2008, 11:26:35 PM

I understand how polling works very well, and have that very page open on my browser from when I looked at it before my response to you.   I just fail to see how a poll where dems are outnumbering repubs by such a large amount has any relevance in stating how an election will turn out.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2008, 11:35:33 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on June 20, 2008, 11:29:52 PM

I understand how polling works very well, and have that very page open on my browser from when I looked at it before my response to you.   I just fail to see how a poll where dems are outnumbering repubs by such a large amount has any relevance in stating how an election will turn out.

So, they polled a statistically significant number of people and asked them to identify their party preference.  There are plenty of polls showing that the Republicans are hemorraghing people into the "independent" camp, and independents clearly are moving towards Obama.  The poll isn't weighted towards party ID, nor should it be.  It was a 231/324/307 split for R/D/I, which is not out of line based on all the other polls that're out there.

So, what's your point?
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2008, 11:39:23 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 20, 2008, 11:35:33 PM

So, they polled a statistically significant number of people and asked them to identify their party preference.  There are plenty of polls showing that the Republicans are hemorraghing people into the "independent" camp, and independents clearly are moving towards Obama.  The poll isn't weighted towards party ID, nor should it be.

So, what's your point?

My point is when you ask 324 dems 307 independants and 231 repubs who they are going to vote for in an elections, its hardly shocking news that the dem candidate is going to 'win' that poll when they outnumber the repub respondants so heavily.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2008, 11:40:19 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on June 20, 2008, 11:39:23 PM

Quote from: Brendan on June 20, 2008, 11:35:33 PM

So, they polled a statistically significant number of people and asked them to identify their party preference.  There are plenty of polls showing that the Republicans are hemorraghing people into the "independent" camp, and independents clearly are moving towards Obama.  The poll isn't weighted towards party ID, nor should it be.

So, what's your point?

My point is when you ask 324 dems 307 independants and 231 repubs who they are going to vote for in an elections, its hardly shocking news that the dem candidate is going to 'win' that poll when they outnumber the repub respondants so heavily.

You realize that the whole point is that party identity is fluid, right?  I'm not sure what you're proposing is "wrong", exactly, when the goal is to measure current party affiliations.

Here's a nice series of posts on the matter:  http://www.mysterypollster.com/main/2004/09/should_pollster.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:44:35 PM by Brendan » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2008, 12:24:55 AM »

Quote from: cheeba
I've obviously had quite an impact on you, lol.

Absolutely.  Believe me, cheeba, you're nothing if not memorable.

Quote from: cheeba
Really dude, with your history of not having the capacity to understand ANY of my posts, why don't you just ask me nicely to explain them next time?

cheeba, Knightshade Dragon asked you for an explanation in this very thread four separate times.  You declined to offer one.

I wasn't surprised because I've asked you to clarify yourself on several occasions. Here, here, here, and here, for example, and I've found that when you're not dodging the issue with your unique form of "humor," you're quibbling about semantics, or tossing out baseless accusations against other posters.

Either multiple people on this board are just intellectually incapable of decoding the brilliant insights and incisive wit you weave through each of your posts, or your debate style sucks on toast.  I know which one has my vote.

-Autistic Angel
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2008, 03:53:05 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on June 20, 2008, 11:39:23 PM

I don't know how the select the sample, but what if they select people randomly?  Then if you get 324 dems 307 ind and 231 rep out of the random sample, it is a bad news for McCain.

EDIT: After reading the method, they select people randomly but weight them based on US census. So they don't selectively choose to pick more dem or rep. So I guess it was really a bad news for McCain.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 03:56:25 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
Electronic Dan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2008, 04:17:47 PM »

If polls in June mattered, Dukakis and Kerry would have been commanders in chief.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »

The poll's probably an outlier, though we'll find out later this week - but Kerry and Gore never had substantial leads over Bush (as the article notes).  Yes, poor Mike Dukakis had a big lead until he wore a helmet, didn't respond viciously enough in a hypothetical question about his wife being raped, and, of course, Floyd Brown's smear job with William Horton.  I'm hopeful Obama's more media aware.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2008, 06:14:53 PM »

Looks like it's not an outlier.  LAT/Bloomberg poll has a 12 point lead for Obama in a two-man race, which increases to 15 points if you include Nader and Barr.

I strongly encourage all independent conservative-leaning peoples to consider Barr in the fall.   icon_biggrin
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on June 25, 2008, 06:14:53 PM

Looks like it's not an outlier.  LAT/Bloomberg poll has a 12 point lead for Obama in a two-man race, which increases to 15 points if you include Nader and Barr.

I strongly encourage all independent conservative-leaning peoples to consider Barr in the fall.   icon_biggrin

Well thats who I am voting for, he would be a far far better president then either McCain or Obama.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2008, 08:45:11 PM »

Not so fast, says Gallup

Gallup showing McCain & Obama tied.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »

Heh. The issues section on Bob Barr's site is hilarious.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:27:24 PM by Mookee » Logged
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »

Quote from: Mookee on June 25, 2008, 10:24:51 PM

Why?   What he says makes a lot of sense, especially on spending issues.
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2008, 11:19:35 PM »

I'm really ticked that Barr is representing the Libertarian party. Talk about a guy doing a 180 on so many things to get nominated. I was really surprised that he got the nod, but he was probably the biggest name of the lot.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2008, 11:21:15 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on June 25, 2008, 11:01:12 PM

Quote from: Mookee on June 25, 2008, 10:24:51 PM

Why?   What he says makes a lot of sense, especially on spending issues.

We live in the most complicated, advanced nation in the history of the world. He aspires to lead the country and may come in 3rd or 4th in the election. All he can bothered to do, and which would cost him and his campaign nothing, is write 14 bullet points that essentially echo libertarian values that can be cribbed from the Wikipedia page?

Even though I'm an Obama supporter and donor, I'm also a curious guy and since Bob Barr was mentioned by you and others, I thought I should check him out to see what he's about. The one place where he can convince me....I got nothing.

Brevity has its place, but not when you're trying to lay out your case for being our President.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2008, 12:05:21 AM »

Quote from: Mookee on June 25, 2008, 11:21:15 PM

Brevity has its place, but not when you're trying to lay out your case for being our President.

In the case of many of the third-party candidates, brevity on the subject of their beliefs is the only way they have a shot at anything.
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2008, 07:59:27 AM »

Wow, amazing that this "Gore" is the 2nd post to have the topic of the title in it.  Anyway, on the topic, I don't think anyone could say much interesting about Gore endorsing Obama, who'd they expect him to endorse?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »

Quote from: wonton on June 26, 2008, 07:59:27 AM

Anyway, on the topic, I don't think anyone could say much interesting about Gore endorsing Obama, who'd they expect him to endorse?

I think the idea is that since St. Gore transcended politics, he wasn't expected to endorse anybody.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
wonton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2008, 05:47:27 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on June 26, 2008, 03:03:15 PM

Quote from: wonton on June 26, 2008, 07:59:27 AM

Anyway, on the topic, I don't think anyone could say much interesting about Gore endorsing Obama, who'd they expect him to endorse?

I think the idea is that since St. Gore transcended politics, he wasn't expected to endorse anybody.

icon_lol

I'm pretty sure an ex-VP has more levels of hell to climb through before transcending to sainthood...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: