http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 12:12:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gore endorses Obama  (Read 7240 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:37:05 PM »

He will step to the plate tonight at an Obama campaign event in MI. I just got an email from the Obama campaign announcing Gore's endorsement:

Dear Armando,

A few hours from now I will step on stage in Detroit, Michigan to announce my support for Senator Barack Obama. From now through Election Day, I intend to do whatever I can to make sure he is elected President of the United States.

Over the next four years, we are going to face many difficult challenges -- including bringing our troops home from Iraq, fixing our economy, and solving the climate crisis. Barack Obama is clearly the candidate best able to solve these problems and bring change to America.

This moment and this election are too important to let pass without taking action.

It goes on to say yaddah, yaddah, yaddah give money. Hillary's (un)concession ended the torturous Democratic presidential candidate process. Gore's endorsement is but frosting on the cake, but still welcome.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:50:56 PM »

Every superdelegate or big name that made public their support of Obama on or after the South Dakota/Montana primaries is a big pussy.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:43:22 PM »

You mean like how the Republican party members, talking heads,  and leadership flocked to endorse McCain after he won his primary,  after they were calling his campaign broke and dead months earlier?

Making safe bets.  Politics as usual.  It's alright for Republicans, but it makes Democrats questionable.

And remember, When John Kerry was a Veteran, it meant nothing.  Now, being a remarkable veteran should decide your vote for McCain.

And Remember, bigger government is bad, unless you want to add staff to the Social Security Administration to manage "Privatized" accounts for younger Americans.  Then you need bigger government.

I feel like I'm forgetting something.  What else ought to we be remembering?

Done posting
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:44:02 PM »

Nice, but a little late... unless "whatever he can" includes running as VP.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:31:49 AM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on June 16, 2008, 10:43:22 PM

I believe you forgot to make sense smile.
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:07:25 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 17, 2008, 12:31:49 AM

Never slowed you down, sir.  You win on grounds of Typo, huh?  Heck, I'll spot it to you.  I won't even edit for correction.

Done posting
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 01:38:00 AM »

You mean like how the Republican party members, talking heads,  and leadership flocked to endorse McCain after he won his primary,  after they were calling his campaign broke and dead months earlier?

Yeah, unlike some parties when we figured out who was winning we were actually able to unite together behind him. Crazy, huh?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 01:43:27 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 17, 2008, 01:38:00 AM

Yeah, unlike some parties when we figured out who was winning we were actually able to unite together behind him. Crazy, huh?

Better to have two viable candidates than none.

Oh yeah. Tongue I went there. slywink

Ever notice how the heart of believe is a lie?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 02:16:24 AM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on June 17, 2008, 01:07:25 AM

Never slowed you down, sir.  You win on grounds of Typo, huh?  Heck, I'll spot it to you.  I won't even edit for correction.
I don't care that you made a typo - actually I didn't even notice it - I just wonder WTF you are talking about in that post. Who's saying what is OK for the republicans but questionable for the democrats? How the hell did John Kerry get into it? And what about bigger government and privatized social security?
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 03:14:28 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 17, 2008, 02:16:24 AM

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on June 17, 2008, 01:07:25 AM

I don't care that you made a typo - actually I didn't even notice it - I just wonder WTF you are talking about in that post. Who's saying what is OK for the republicans but questionable for the democrats? How the hell did John Kerry get into it? And what about bigger government and privatized social security?

Who is saying Democratic delegates who backed their candidate late, only after the winner was clear, ought to be ashamed?  Why I believe you did sir.  I said considering how McCain's candidacy was a similar story that was a few mere months shorter and with far less support until the Republicans saw he was certain to be the nominee, I didn't think shame was deserved.  In fact, in politics this is rather unremarkable and common.

How did John Kerry get into this?  I brought him in to illustrate the Republican propensity to take a position when it advantages them, but downplay it when it is not in their favor (like perhaps casting shame on bandwagoners?).  Kerry was a veteran, but that's not as important when the Republican candidate isn't a veteran.  In fact, they will go so far to question the quality of Senator Kerry's service to his country when they can't point to a record of Veteran service for their own candidate.  But OH BOY is it important when their candidate is famously and deservedly known as a veteran.

McCain in an AP story is still backing the notion of young Americans having "Privatized" personal Soc. Security accounts.  This will require oversight to implement,maintain, and monitor such a program above and beyond what is currently employed in the Social Security Administration.  These would be Federal employees.  This would be bigger government by definition.  And often citied as a reason for not supporting given domestic programs, Republicans (and conservitive ones espeically), and Senator McCain himself, often scowl and say they are not for bigger government.  Except that now they are. 

Give them five minutes. The positions will change again.    Remember Flip flopping?   Remember when it was bad?

Done posting
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 03:58:00 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on June 17, 2008, 01:38:00 AM

Really?

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 04:28:05 AM »

Frank Rich had a good piece that tore apart this meme as well.

The revolt is not limited to the usual cranky right-wing suspects. The antiwar acolytes of Ron Paul are planning a large rally for convention week in Minneapolis. The conservative legal scholar Douglas Kmiec has endorsed Mr. Obama, as have both the economic adviser to Newt Gingrich’s “Contract With America,” Lawrence Hunter, and the neocon historian Francis Fukuyama. Rupert Murdoch is publicly flirting with the Democrat as well. Even Dick Cheney emerged from his bunker this month to gratuitously dismiss Mr. McCain’s gas-tax holiday proposal as “a false notion” before the National Press Club.

These are not anomalies. Last week The Hill reported that at least 14 Republican members of Congress have refused to endorse or publicly support Mr. McCain. Congressional Quarterly found that of the 62,800 donors who maxed out to Mr. Bush’s campaign in 2004, only about 5,000 (some 8 percent) have contributed to his putative successor.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 07:25:54 AM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on June 17, 2008, 03:14:28 AM

Who is saying Democratic delegates who backed their candidate late, only after the winner was clear, ought to be ashamed?  Why I believe you did sir.
Actually I didn't say they ought be ashamed, I said they're big pussies.
I said considering how McCain's candidacy was a similar story that was a few mere months shorter and with far less support until the Republicans saw he was certain to be the nominee, I didn't think shame was deserved.
The fact that Gore et al are big pussies does not mean republicans who only threw in their support after it was obvious McCain was the winner are not also big pussies.
In fact, in politics this is rather unremarkable and common.
No, it is neither unremarkable nor common for the democratic party to go so long and through such a bitter fight to decide a nominee.
Kerry was a veteran
He still is.
but that's not as important when the Republican candidate isn't a veteran.  In fact, they will go so far to question the quality of Senator Kerry's service to his country when they can't point to a record of Veteran service for their own candidate.  But OH BOY is it important when their candidate is famously and deservedly known as a veteran.
Who is making this argument?
McCain in an AP story is still backing the notion of young Americans having "Privatized" personal Soc. Security accounts.
Considering my 401(k) will make me a millionaire by the time I retire, yeah it's understandable that people want to be able to decide what they want to do with their own retirement funds. How is that at all relevant to Gore endorsing Michelle Obama's babies' daddy?
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 02:13:07 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 17, 2008, 07:25:54 AM

"Michelle Obama's babies' daddy?"

Roll Eyes

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 02:38:38 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on June 17, 2008, 02:13:07 PM

Roll Eyes

Agreed with the rolley eyes.  The second you start quoting Fox News and their ilk you lose the argument.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 17, 2008, 02:38:38 PM

Agreed with the rolley eyes.  The second you start quoting Fox News and their ilk you lose the argument.
That's not quoting Fox News. That's putting a spin on it! And people need to lighten the hells up.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 17, 2008, 04:12:13 PM

That's not quoting Fox News. That's putting a spin on it! And people need to lighten the hells up.

I totally agree.  We should "lighten the hells up" when you again use an ignorant, Fox News-created, thinly-veiled, racially targeted remark. 

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 06:17:42 PM »

Roll Eyes

Actually, Fox News referred to Michelle Obama as "Obama's baby mama."  Michelle actually referred to Obama as "her babies' daddy" in an intro she made to one of his speeches.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 17, 2008, 06:17:42 PM

Roll Eyes

Actually, Fox News referred to Michelle Obama as "Obama's baby mama."  Michelle actually referred to Obama as "her babies' daddy" in an intro she made to one of his speeches.

CNN Transcript. It's way on down there, so for expedience....

MICHELLE OBAMA, WIFE OF BARACK OBAMA: My baby's daddy Barack Obama. Yeah!

BARACK OBAMA, SENATOR-ELECT, ILLINOIS: Thank you, Illinois. Thank you. Thank you, Illinois. I don't know about you but I'm still fired up. I am fired up. Look at this crowd. Thank you, Illinois.

Let me begin by thanking all the people who have been involved in this effort from down state to upstate, city, suburb, from every community throughout the state. Let me say how grateful I am to all of you for the extraordinary privilege of standing here this evening.

Let me thank, because I will forget later on, it's a thankless task, let me thank right now the best political staff that has been put together in this state. They are wonderful. You know who you are. You guys have been outstanding. I appreciate all of you.

Let me thank my pastor, Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr. (ph) of Trinity United Church of Christ, fellow Trinitarians out there. Let me thank all the elected officials who have stood by me through thick and through thin but most of all let me thank my family.

I am so grateful to my nephew Aber (ph), my niece Leslie (ph), my mother-in-law Marian (ph), my brother-in-law Craig Robinson, his wonderful girlfriend Kelly (ph), my sister Maya (ph), my new niece Zuhayla (ph) right there, my brother-in-law Conrad and most of all, most of all, my two precious daughters Malia (ph) Obama and Sasha (ph) Obama and the biggest star in the Obama family until the two girls grow up the love of my life Michelle Obama, give it up for Michelle. Give it up.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 08:20:43 PM »

She's so racist!

And OO is back up, so this JV debate team member is probably going to not be around here much anymore. Fun arguing with y'all!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 08:54:55 PM »

BTW, there is a very subtle yet important difference between "baby's daddy" (or "babies' daddy") and "baby daddy", the latter of which she didn't say.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 02:14:54 AM »

Yeah, that's about what I should have expected.  I'm not bothering to type more about issues only to watch them get skirted. Keep pretending you want to talk about politics, Chebba,  and find someone else to listen to it.  I don't buy it.

Done posting
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 07:09:40 AM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on June 18, 2008, 02:14:54 AM

Yeah, that's about what I should have expected.  I'm not bothering to type more about issues only to watch them get skirted. Keep pretending you want to talk about politics, Chebba,  and find someone else to listen to it.  I don't buy it.
Would love to talk about politics, but you're bringing all these unrelated issues into the thread out of left field. Each point you make could easily be a thread in itself, and I don't think any are relevant to Gore being a big pussy.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 18, 2008, 07:09:40 AM

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on June 18, 2008, 02:14:54 AM

Would love to talk about politics, but you're bringing all these unrelated issues into the thread out of left field. Each point you make could easily be a thread in itself, and I don't think any are relevant to Gore being a big pussy.

I thought you left...?

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on June 18, 2008, 12:18:07 PM

I thought you left...?
Your reading comprehension is as skilled as always:
probably going to not be around here much
Note the qualifiers. As most OO'ers did, I found GT a very nice place to visit, and will continue to visit and contribute. It just won't be as much or as often as before.

So feel free to continue calling me racist for repeating what Mrs. Obama says herself and I'll feel free to continue laughing at you.  icon_lol
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 10:57:32 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 18, 2008, 07:09:40 AM

Would love to talk about politics...

I already said I don't buy it.

Done posting
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 11:34:03 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 17, 2008, 08:20:43 PM

She's so racist!
Back that up please.  Show me where she's been racist in any way.  Otherwise the statement is baseless.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 11:48:19 PM »

Quote from: the Nightbreeze on June 18, 2008, 10:57:32 PM

I already said I don't buy it.
You'd have to make a coherent, relevant argument to find out, so yeah, looks like you're never gonna "buy it."

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 18, 2008, 11:34:03 PM

Quote from: cheeba on June 17, 2008, 08:20:43 PM

She's so racist!
Back that up please.  Show me where she's been racist in any way.  Otherwise the statement is baseless.
Please tell me you're kidding smile.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 11:57:12 PM »

No, I'm not.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 12:02:45 AM »

The campaign hasn't started yet, if there is anything out there that can be presented as evidence of any racial bias she might have (and I don't mean some senior paper that's 25 years old) it will soon be plastered across every media outlet imaginable.

Time will tell.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 12:59:50 AM »

Quote from: VynlSol on June 19, 2008, 12:02:45 AM

The campaign hasn't started yet, if there is anything out there that can be presented as evidence of any racial bias she might have (and I don't mean some senior paper that's 25 years old) it will soon be plastered across every media outlet imaginable.

Time will tell.

True, and I will listen.  That said, I'm not the one making the assertion that she's a racist.  I'd like to see that statement backed.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 03:54:04 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 18, 2008, 11:57:12 PM

No, I'm not.
You really think I was calling Michelle Obama a racist for calling Barack Obama her baby's daddy?

I know sarcasm is difficult to get across in writing, but come on!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 03:57:23 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 19, 2008, 03:54:04 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 18, 2008, 11:57:12 PM

No, I'm not.
You really think I was calling Michelle Obama a racist for calling Barack Obama her baby's daddy?

I know sarcasm is difficult to get across in writing, but come on!

That's my question - WHY are you calling her a racist?  I've heard this thrown about time and time again and never any sort of concrete backing of any kind.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »

So I guess no justification.  Baseless accusation it seems. 

I'm kinda fuzzy why people feel the need to do this when there are plenty of legitimate issues to discuss.  Why bring something as trivial as race into it? 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 03:17:07 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 20, 2008, 02:48:02 PM

So I guess no justification.  Baseless accusation it seems. 

I'm kinda fuzzy why people feel the need to do this when there are plenty of legitimate issues to discuss.  Why bring something as trivial as race into it? 

I'm cynical as hell about it, but I think it's because some conservatives know that they don't stand a chance of winning this election on the issues, so they're trying to stir racial differences in order to create "white flight" at the polling booth.  Since Obama seems to be teflon when it comes to race (since he's a mix), what better way than to portray his wife as an unpatriotic, white-hating, angry black bitch?  I hate to be blunt about it, but there's no doubt that there are certain conservative elements that are trying to encourage that perception.  It's the same thing when Faux News talks about a "terrorist fist jab".  It's a thinly-veiled attempt at trying to link Obama to being a Muslim yet again.  It's race-baiting and religion-baiting...and I think they'll keep at it. 

It shows how morally bankrupt some conservatives really are when they try to explain away such remarks rather than condemn such attempts.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 04:10:18 PM »

I'm not calling out anyone here, but this election has brought out the worst in people.  I've never known so many people with latent (or blatant) racist motivations in my life.  I can't imagine why anyone gives a shit about race at this point.  It literally means nothing.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 20, 2008, 04:10:18 PM

I'm not calling out anyone here, but this election has brought out the worst in people.  I've never known so many people with latent (or blatant) racist motivations in my life.  I can't imagine why anyone gives a shit about race at this point.  It literally means nothing.

Agreed.  Every time I see it come up, I call people on it.  They don't seem to appreciate it much...   smile

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »

Ron, although it's true that cheeba is a hilariously unimaginative troll, he isn't trolling in quite the way you think.  Let me try to walk you through his idea of "humor."

On June 11th, Fox News ran a piece about something that one anonymous person posted in the comments section of a political blog, and titled it Outraged Liberals: Stop Picking On Obama's Baby Mama!"  Since the phrase "baby mama" is racially-charged slang for "some girl I knocked up," most people found it highly inappropriate at best and outright race-baiting at worst.

cheeba, being no stranger to race-baiting himself, found it hilarious because it rhymed and defended Fox by arguing that the slur is technically true.

That brings us to this thread where people of a similar political stripe have found a rush transcript from 2004 where Michelle Obama appears to have said something similar.  *That's* why cheeba's claiming he was sarcastic when he called her a racist: he's trying to make the point that if Michelle Obama once used the phrase "my babies' daddy," that makes it okay for Fox News to call her "Obama's baby mama."

I can't say whether or not cheeba thinks Michelle Obama is a racist or not, but I don't think he was making such an accusation in this thread.  As far as why he doesn't simply say that himself...? icon_confused

-Autistic Angel
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »

More Republican racism:

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/061908dnmetpin.16051b20.html

Lets see, the texas republican party is donating the money they got from his booth to charity, have told him not to bother to apply to sell things ever again at one of their events.  And they dont approve what vendors are selling before they come to the event.   Also a grand total of 4 of them were sold, 2 of them to a reporter.   Yep sounds like republican racism to me.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: