http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 07:44:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GOP Recommends Lamar Smith to head up Science, Space, & Tech Committee  (Read 786 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/lamar-smith-global-warming-house-science_n_2200408.html

Smith, like many of his Republican colleagues, has expressed doubt that global warming is caused by human behavior. In 2009, he criticized the media for not airing enough "dissenting opinions" about climate change.

"The [ABC, NBC and CBS television] networks have shown a steady pattern of bias on climate change," Smith said in a statement at the time. "During a six-month period, four out of five network news reports failed to acknowledge any dissenting opinions about global warming, according to a Business and Media Institute study. The networks should tell Americans the truth, rather than hide the facts."

He also referred to environmentalists and others who warn about the seriousness of the issue as "global warming alarmists."

Oh, and he wrote the SOPA bill, too.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:32:30 AM »

In fairness to Smith, there was still some non-fringe debate on the magnitude of anthropogenesis in 2009. I wonder if his opinion has come around since the scientific community stopped equivocating on that point.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:57:21 PM »

Apparently the Republicans in Congress have learned nothing since the beginning of the month.

I imagine Boner's thought process went something like this: "Hey why don't we continue with the GOP status quo and appoint a guy to chair the science committee who actually refuses to believe the scientific community. Americans will love us for it."  saywhat

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:38:52 PM »

Smith Gate!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 07:45:19 PM »

I prefer Smith Dome.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:50:33 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 29, 2012, 03:57:21 PM

Apparently the Republicans in Congress have learned nothing since the beginning of the month.

I imagine Boner's thought process went something like this: "Hey why don't we continue with the GOP status quo and appoint a guy to chair the science committee who actually refuses to believe the scientific community. Americans will love us for it."  saywhat

Learned from what?    Nearly 50% of the population shares their views, so why should they automatically drop pants and give in to you supposed 'enlightened' types just because you edged over 50% with an incumbent President?

You *do* realize that the Republicans made up nearly 50% of the voting population of America in November, right?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 02:28:11 AM »

Let's all take a moment to appreciate that msduncan believes scientific facts are tested and affirmed in a manner similar to selecting the winner of American Idol.

-Autistic Angel
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 02:30:53 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 18, 2012, 01:50:33 AM

Learned from what?    Nearly 50% of the population shares their views, so why should they automatically drop pants and give in to you supposed 'enlightened' types just because you edged over 50% with an incumbent President?

You *do* realize that the Republicans made up nearly 50% of the voting population of America in November, right?

I like to think that the lesson was the electorate doesn't abide the make-believe and clear lack of scientific knowledge that the likes of Todd Akin espoused.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 03:52:48 AM »

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 18, 2012, 03:52:48 AM

Yup, we've learned a lot about cancer in the last 35 years. 'The changing science' was a good tagline.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on December 18, 2012, 01:50:33 AM

I imagine Boner's thought process went something like this: "Hey why don't we continue with the GOP status quo and appoint a guy to chair the science committee who actually refuses to believe the scientific community. Americans will love us for it."  saywhat

Learned from what?    Nearly 50% of the population shares their views, so why should they automatically drop pants and give in to you supposed 'enlightened' types just because you edged over 50% with an incumbent President?

You *do* realize that the Republicans made up nearly 50% of the voting population of America in November, right?   Tongue

Which is why it's even MORE important that the enlightened folks help you guys navigate your way in this world.  You folks would still be treating each other with leaches and blaming bad humors for syphilis if the educated weren't watching over you.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:26:29 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 12:43:33 AM »

Quote from: Calavera on December 18, 2012, 12:31:12 PM

Yup, we've learned a lot about cancer in the last 35 years. 'The changing science' was a good tagline.

Well, I think ATB's point was that in medicine, as in all the sciences, none of the new information gathered since the late 70's counts.  You can tell by how he reliably advises his loved ones to seek antineoplaston therapy over any of those laughably fictional metastasis suppressants.

And really, what is "climate science" except a few decades of meticulously peer-reviewed data used to inform an international consensus?  Consensus!?  Who even knows what that means?

Quote from: ATB on December 15, 2012, 05:04:53 PM

Do they have reviews in your country? If not let me explain how they work: people- known as critics- go and see the movies and then tell us how they are.  When a bunch of critics say the same thing, that's called consensus. The consensus so far is that the movie is boring, drawn out and not very good (just like the consensus was that XCOM has lots and lots of bugs (many of which you never saw, so I understand why you think they didn't exist or that one could not make a judgement on something without actually having seen it first hand).  Thus, I can also say it is boring.  Not that I mentioned before the reviews came out that there's no way the book should be 3 movies or anything...

Thanks so much!

-Autistic Angel
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 03:43:06 AM »

Most influential magazine story ever. People did those 51 things, and look what happened.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »

ATB's astute point, is that today's 'facts' are tomorrow's subject of scorn so there's every reason to doubt the validity of every new 'scientific fact' that comes our way and is championed.

You guys are the same guys who would have been screaming about the impending ice age in the 70s.

That said, I do believe in climate change.  I just don't think you self-righteous folks can lambaste anyone for being dubious about it.  You remember what it means to be skeptical right and not to just take things spoon fed and say yummy?

But, I forgot. This is 'the new' GT of the last few years. A forum that has increasingly become a liberal mob with the mentality to yell down anyone who doesn't agree with it's doctrinal sensitivities in exactly the same way it does...kinda like...OO.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 03:50:49 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 19, 2012, 02:26:51 PM

But, I forgot. This is 'the new' GT of the last few years. A forum that has increasingly become a liberal mob with the mentality to yell down anyone who doesn't agree with it's doctrinal sensitivities in exactly the same way it does...kinda like...OO.

That's one way of trivializing a larger issue, I guess.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: