http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 02:19:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Marriage 2013!  (Read 1645 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:34 PM »

Obama recognizes gays in inaugural, statement or placatement?  Gay marriage, controversial or yesterday's hot topic?  Supreme Court or supremely a bore?

Discuss!!!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 02:52:28 AM »

Made me proud to be an American.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:37:01 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 23, 2013, 02:52:28 AM

+1.  It'll take a while, but I firmly believe that I'll live to see the day when the anti-gay marriage movement will go the way of the anti-integration movement from the 50's and 60's.  If not in my lifetime, definitely in my kids'. 

Although I'm guessing my state will be the very last holdout in the nation.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »

There's a 0% chance that SCOTUS upholds any type of legislature banning gay marriage.  I'm not sure constitutionally how they possibly can.

I guess the other issue (if possible) is is this a state matter or a federal one? 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 23, 2013, 03:37:01 AM

+1.  It'll take a while, but I firmly believe that I'll live to see the day when the anti-gay marriage movement will go the way of the anti-integration movement from the 50's and 60's.  If not in my lifetime, definitely in my kids'. 

Although I'm guessing my state will be the very last holdout in the nation.  frown

A while back NPR did a piece on the 50th anniversary of the Little Rock incident.  During the piece they played an audio clip of then governor Fauber saying that he would never allow desegregation and that if any black students tried to attend the school, that "blood would run in the streets."  Listening to that in present time, my reaction is one of sheer amazement that such an evil thing could have ever existed in society. 

My hope is that someday people will hear Obama mention the Stonewall Riots during a rebroadcast of his inaugural speech and think the same thing to themselves.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 23, 2013, 02:43:44 PM

Quote from: Gratch on January 23, 2013, 03:37:01 AM

A while back NPR did a piece on the 50th anniversary of the Little Rock incident.  During the piece they played an audio clip of then governor Fauber saying that he would never allow desegregation and that if any black students tried to attend the school, that "blood would run in the streets."  Listening to that in present time, my reaction is one of sheer amazement that such an evil thing could have ever existed in society. 

My hope is that someday people will hear Obama mention the Stonewall Riots during a rebroadcast of his inaugural speech and think the same thing to themselves.

To me, the amazing thing is that these comments really weren't that long ago in the historical sense.  How far we've come in a mere 50-60 years is rather amazing.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:15:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 23, 2013, 01:59:25 PM

There's a 0% chance that SCOTUS upholds any type of legislature banning gay marriage.  I'm not sure constitutionally how they possibly can.

I guess the other issue (if possible) is is this a state matter or a federal one? 

There could be some interesting battles over state vs federal authority here in the next couple of years, like gay marriage and pot legalization.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:59:08 PM »

Let em get married.  Let em be as miserable as the rest of us.

There are two arguments that always come up in this:
1.) My God says no
2.) Businesses will have to offer benefits.

#1 can be defeated with "I don't believe in your god." or "show me where it says that in the bible" or "it also says the following:
Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." Psalms 137:9
If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through.   (Zechariah 13:3)
"I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent." Timothy 2:11
"Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Luke 16:18)
"But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you." (Deuteronomy 22: 20-21)
"When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)

(this could go on forever folks...)

#2 is just a matter of businesses growing the fuck up. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:56:26 PM »

we had all this just a month or so ago in the UK,here i think it's legal already,but Church's had a right to turn them away if they wanted(IIRC)

Just a week or two after the Church of England refusing Women Bishops..however,again IIRC Gay Bishops are allowed as long as they agree to celibacy

Religion is confusing  icon_confused

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 23, 2013, 04:59:08 PM

icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:50:57 AM »

lol that's hilarious.  Seriously even if it became legal I don't know if I'd want to bother, what a pain in the ass!

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 01:13:17 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 24, 2013, 12:50:57 AM

lol that's hilarious.  Seriously even if it became legal I don't know if I'd want to bother, what a pain in the ass!

You did that on purpose. paranoid

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 03:00:49 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 23, 2013, 04:15:23 PM

Quote from: ATB on January 23, 2013, 01:59:25 PM

There could be some interesting battles over state vs federal authority here in the next couple of years, like gay marriage and pot legalization.

Gay marriage has been legal in MA long enough to seem normal already. Watching the rest of the country come to grips with it is strange. What's the big deal? Now pot legalization, that's nearer and dearer to my heart.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 08:02:36 AM »

Denmark was actually the first country allowing same sex legal marriages. The strange thing is though, its allowed as a legal marriage, but not as a church marriage. In Denmark we can get married at City hall (Its called something else, but its the same), but the Church and the politicians are still arguing about same sex marriages in the church. I believe they are legal, but the priest can say he/she won't do it.

What a weird world!

A new one
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »

I find that particular odd because the Vikings of history were very gay friendly.  Their longboats were always adorned with hot pink boas and track lighting.  Enemies could easily detect an oncoming invasion from the chorus of "It's Raining Men" coming from the direction of the sea immediately before an attack.   icon_confused

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 24, 2013, 02:31:02 PM

I find that particular odd because the Vikings of history were very gay friendly.  Their longboats were always adorned with hot pink boas and track lighting.  Enemies could easily detect an oncoming invasion from the chorus of "It's Raining Men" coming from the direction of the sea immediately before an attack.   icon_confused

LOL :-D

That would make a fun movie!

A new one
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »

Let them get married..  It's no on business.  Glad my state legalized the issue... beat the ballot referendum as well..

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 06:44:21 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 24, 2013, 01:13:17 AM

Quote from: rittchard on January 24, 2013, 12:50:57 AM

You did that on purpose. paranoid

Thanks for noticing!!!!!   nod ninja
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 11:12:13 PM »

I know in these times its not politically correct, but I don't indulge in politics. I say no to same sex marriages. What men and women do in the privacy of their homes, not hurting anyone, is their business entirely. But I just believe that the sanctity of Marriage is a Male-Female covenant. You may not like my answer, but you would like me less if I lied about my beliefs.

Absolutely nothing intended to offend Ritt. But you did ask.

Obama is saying what he thinks most people want him to say.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:22:38 PM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 11:49:15 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 01, 2013, 11:12:13 PM

Thankfully he's right.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 11:59:56 PM »

You can keep the Covenant as the bailiwick of the church.  Unfortunately, there are many social and political rights that are bound up in, what to government, should be only a binding contract that contains rights and responsibilities.  There shouldn't be a limit as to the gender of two parties entering into that contract any more than there should be a limit on the ethnicity of said parties. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 12:35:39 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 01, 2013, 11:49:15 PM

Thankfully he's right.

Opinions, aren't they great?

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 12:38:54 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 01, 2013, 11:59:56 PM

You can keep the Covenant as the bailiwick of the church.  Unfortunately, there are many social and political rights that are bound up in, what to government, should be only a binding contract that contains rights and responsibilities.  There shouldn't be a limit as to the gender of two parties entering into that contract any more than there should be a limit on the ethnicity of said parties. 

Another opinion. But I wont make fun of it. You?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 12:54:50 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 02, 2013, 12:38:54 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on February 01, 2013, 11:59:56 PM

You can keep the Covenant as the bailiwick of the church.  Unfortunately, there are many social and political rights that are bound up in, what to government, should be only a binding contract that contains rights and responsibilities.  There shouldn't be a limit as to the gender of two parties entering into that contract any more than there should be a limit on the ethnicity of said parties.  

Another opinion. But I wont make fun of it. You?

Clarifying question then:  do you feel homosexuals should not have the same social rights, or just that we shouldn't call it "marriage"?

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 12:57:57 AM »

The trouble with agreeing to disagree on this, Arclight, is that it ends with the status quo where gays and lesbians are denied the rights and protections of marriage.  Why?  Because some special holiness is created by the fact that a percentage of the legal marriages recognized by the government are performed by religious institutions?

If your opinion is that people of the same gender should not marry, I recommend you not marry someone of your gender.  No one is going to force it on you.  If we're going to continue denying that right to people who feel differently, however, the intangible sanctity of your opinion is an insufficient justification.

-Autistic Angel
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 01:31:15 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 02, 2013, 12:35:39 AM

Quote from: hepcat on February 01, 2013, 11:49:15 PM

Thankfully he's right.

Opinions, aren't they great?

Not an opinion.  Fact.  Check the polls.  America's waking up and realizing it's time to do the right thing.  The God that some worship and use as justification for bigotry and hate is getting aside for the God that loves.  I don't mind your definition of how one acts like a christian...until it hurts people.  In this case, someone I love (my brother).  With the divorce rate being 40 to 50 percent in the US, the hypocrisy of telling everyone that gay marriage will harm the institution of marriage is becoming clear to most folks.  If anything, those that are preaching about the sanctity of marriage NEED gay marriage to get their numbers up.  If they see marriages working (my brother has been with the same partner for 15 years now) it may help them become better husbands and wives...and better Christians to boot.

P.S.  I'm not ridiculing you.  I sincerely believe everything I just wrote and I hope someday you rise above the small minded prejudices that exist in the world of some "christians".  You don't know any better, that's all.  But someday, God willing, you'll learn a better way.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:04:59 PM by hepcat » Logged

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 04:32:17 AM »

I know in these times its not politically correct, but I don't indulge in politics. I say no to same sex marriages. What men and women do in the privacy of their homes, not hurting anyone, is their business entirely. But I just believe that the sanctity of Marriage is a Male-Female covenant. You may not like my answer, but you would like me less if I lied about my beliefs.

Absolutely nothing intended to offend Ritt. But you did ask.

You have no more claim on the term "marriage" than I do. Why should I be forced to live under your beliefs? Me marrying someone of the same gender (hey Ritt, want to have dinner?) in no way changes your life.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 05:19:42 AM »

kinda fitting message from Barney Stinson's tailor:

personally I'm all for it.  getting married should be the right of every American no matter their sexual orientation.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »

You do realize some of you sound so hypocritical I'm amazed you can't see it yourselves. You can get all bent out of shape because of my beliefs. But If I so much as show any emotion negatively to your beliefs I'm put in a box with all other "christian crazies". I could care less if you think I'm following antiquated beliefs or not. I have as much right to say its not my belief that same sex should marry, as you do. Why then is my belief any less valid than yours?
Of course, if you're a hypocrite I can see how you would answer that.

I didn't start this thread. I was asked my opinion. I didn't see anywhere in Ritt's post that said, all Christians, especially you Arclight, are not to give you opions. Only those who are politically correct may answer. I think Ritt is less put out about my answer than some of you who think his life style needs defending.

To some of you, its time to let go of your hate of all things Christian. Its not good to carry hate for ANYTHING. Have any of you over the many years you have "known" me. I was at Gone Gold for years as Gollum.(why i picked that nik ill never know) have heard me ranting on my fellow posters about their religious beliefs? How many have heard me putting down Gay's in any capacity? How many threads have I started or entered thumping my bible at you guys? None. Not one time will you find that I did.

I am so comfortable in where I am right now. I'm not bent out of shape over any of the issues of the day. But if asked, I will give an opinion.

I can see now that I've put myself out there in two threads, and although I never did crack the inner crowd in this forum or Gone Gold. I will be even less taken seriously now.
And that's the risk you take, being honest.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »

I don't believe there's any hypocrisy here.  If you're allowed to believe that others are sinners for not believing the way you do, I don't see why others shouldn't be allowed to have the same sentiment towards you.  But I don't believe anyone hates you because of the mistakes of your particular brand of faith.  Quite the contrary, it's a sincere hope that you eventually get past the small minded bigotry that's found in any religion that teaches you to judge negatively others that aren't hurting you in any way with their form of love.  I look forward to the day you're reborn into a faith that embraces kindness, empathy and respect for your fellow man...no matter their race OR sexual orientation.

How is that sentiment hypocritical?  How is that hate?  

p.s.  I can disagree with your brand of Christianity and still like you as a person on any forum.  Love the sinner, hate the sin and all that.  What I'm saying is that I don't view you negatively just because I don't agree with you on this matter.  I do believe you're a good person at heart and I would hate to have you think I didn't like you.  So please don't stop participating in the community simply because of this thread.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:56:12 PM by hepcat » Logged

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 03, 2013, 03:37:01 PM

I can see now that I've put myself out there in two threads, and although I never did crack the inner crowd in this forum or Gone Gold. I will be even less taken seriously now.
And that's the risk you take, being honest.

As interesting as it is watching you handwave our comments as so much "political correctness," as though concerns over civil rights and specific legal protections are semantic technicalities, it sounds like you're bummed over the social stigma of your lifestyle.

Now imagine if, instead of an imaginary ostracism where literally nothing happened, every major gaming site on the internet instituted strict limitations on how many articles you were allowed to read and how many posts you were allowed to make.  Not because it made the sites better, or safer, or more relevant, mind you; just because enough people had the opinion that anti-gay marriage folks disrupt the sacred union between gamer and gamepad.

That would be pretty fucking stupid, wouldn't it?

-Autistic Angel
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 05:35:44 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 03, 2013, 03:37:01 PM

You do realize some of you sound so hypocritical I'm amazed you can't see it yourselves. You can get all bent out of shape because of my beliefs. But If I so much as show any emotion negatively to your beliefs I'm put in a box with all other "christian crazies". I could care less if you think I'm following antiquated beliefs or not. I have as much right to say its not my belief that same sex should marry, as you do. Why then is my belief any less valid than yours?

You spit in the face of the gay people who post on this board by denigrating us as unworthy of marriage. It isn't about your beliefs. It's about the fact that you want me to live under your oppressive, gay-hating beliefs. I should not have to live by your morals. I am not less deserving of equal rights than you are.

To some of you, its time to let go of your hate of all things Christian.

I don't go to church every Sunday, but I am an Episcopalian, which last I checked made me a Christian. Detesting the fact that you want me to live under the precepts of your particular distorted view of Christianity is not "hating all things Christian."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:37:52 AM by Fireball1244 » Logged

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 02:40:22 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on February 04, 2013, 05:35:44 AM

gay-hating beliefs.

Tsk tsk.  When you come up against someone who disagrees with you it's so easy to label them a homophobe or gay-hater because it plays well and has been working...even though in most cases it's an absolute lie.  It puts them on the defensive and completely makes anything they say suspect.  Great political tactic.

Arc: I believe marriage should be one man and one woman
Fireball: GAYHATER!
Arc: I don't hate gays, i just believe...
Fireball: HOMOPHOBE!
Arc: No, it's just I believe that based on scripture...
Fireball: GAY HATING HOMOPHOBE!
Arc: I think you see things differently
Fireball: YEAH I DON'T HATE TEH GAYZ!
Arc: No. No I don't.
Fireball: OH YES YOU DO!
Arc: My favorite football team is the Seattle Duckmucks
Fireball: ALL NON-DUCKMUCKS TEAM HATER!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:43:21 PM by ATB » Logged
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 04, 2013, 02:40:22 PM

Quote from: Fireball1244 on February 04, 2013, 05:35:44 AM

gay-hating beliefs.

Tsk tsk.  When you come up against someone who disagrees with you it's so easy to label them a homophobe or gay-hater because it plays well and has been working...even though in most cases it's an absolute lie.  It puts them on the defensive and completely makes anything they say suspect.  Great political tactic.

Arc: I believe marriage should be one man and one woman
Fireball: GAYHATER!
Arc: I don't hate gays, i just believe...
Fireball: HOMOPHOBE!
Arc: No, it's just I believe that based on scripture...
Fireball: GAY HATING HOMOPHOBE!
Arc: I think you see things differently
Fireball: YEAH I DON'T HATE TEH GAYZ!
Arc: No. No I don't.
Fireball: OH YES YOU DO!
Arc: My favorite football team is the Seattle Duckmucks
Fireball: ALL NON-DUCKMUCKS TEAM HATER!

It's a little hard not to characterize it as such when you look at the fact that the concept of marriage predates Christianity and is a common concept across all cultures and creeds. Christians basically are saying they own a word, and I call bullshit.

Also, the argument is further rendered moot when you consider the fact that you can have a marriage that isn't connected to religion at all. My wife is pagan and I'm an atheist, but nearly 15 years ago we got married by a JOP. How the hell do you reconcile that?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 04, 2013, 02:50:22 PM

My wife is pagan and I'm an atheist, but nearly 15 years ago we got married by a JOP. How the hell do you reconcile that?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present Samantha and Darrin Stephens.  Welcome to the board...Durwood.

Back on topic:  while I'm the last person to call for restraint usually, I do think the best way to combat the small mindedness of some Christian groups that still believe this kind of bigotry is by showing them the kind of compassion and empathy that they should be showing towards others.  Once they realize that homosexuals aren't all sexual predators or flamboyant perverts, that they're our brothers, our sisters, our neighbors, etc., then I think we'll see minds change.  For the first time in our country's history, the majority of people believe that gay marriage should be legal (granted, it's 51 percent in recent polls...but that's still a majority technically) so I think we're seeing it happen already.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:05:16 PM by hepcat » Logged

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 04, 2013, 02:58:32 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on February 04, 2013, 02:50:22 PM

My wife is pagan and I'm an atheist, but nearly 15 years ago we got married by a JOP. How the hell do you reconcile that?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present Samantha and Darrin Stephens.  Welcome to the board...Durwood.

What makes this even funnier is that I used to be in advertising slywink

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 03:57:43 AM »

I am not a gay lover, or a gay hater. I am not indifferent to their plight either - my Aunt came out nearly 25 years ago - and I watched as my Nana felt that she needed to convert her. Since then I've been exposed to many different people (being that I was 11, and now am 36) I have had a failed marriage, a challenged relationship, and fatherhood^2.  I find myself faithless, cast into the abyss of agnosticism - or so I'm led to believe.

Thing is, I have my convictions, and there is this one:

Nearly half of all marriages end in divorce... The rest end in death.
If you truly want to punish someone, give them only those two choices. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »

Right, Arclight isn't bigoted against gay couples -- he just supports laws that deny them the same legal rights and protections as heterosexual couples because, in his opinion, they shouldn't be able to share property, insurance, medical decisions, parenting responsibilities, or societal recognition the way *real* couples do.  My, what a terrible burden to have the textbook definition of bigotry called out as bigotry!

First they came for the slave owners, and I reached for my Bible to teach them that slavery was born of a godly and righteous tradition.

Then they came for the misogynists, and I opened my Bible to remind them how Eve was responsible for mankind's eviction from Eden.

Then they came for the segregationists, and I held my Bible high and warned that if God condoned miscegenation, He would not have separated the races on different continents.

Then they came for the homophobes, and I gripped my Bible fervently and begged them to see why biblical prohibitions on same-sex relationships were inviolate, but the ones on eating shellfish or mixing different types of fabrics could be ignored.

At last they came for me, though I was obviously none of those things, and there was no one left to speak for me.  They must have remembered all that I had said.

-Autistic Angel
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 05, 2013, 10:11:10 PM

Right, Arclight isn't bigoted against gay couples -- he just supports laws that deny them the same legal rights and protections as heterosexual couples because, in his opinion, they shouldn't be able to share property, insurance, medical decisions, parenting responsibilities, or societal recognition the way *real* couples do.  My, what a terrible burden to have the textbook definition of bigotry called out as bigotry!

First they came for the slave owners, and I reached for my Bible to teach them that slavery was born of a godly and righteous tradition.

Then they came for the misogynists, and I opened my Bible to remind them how Eve was responsible for mankind's eviction from Eden.

Then they came for the segregationists, and I held my Bible high and warned that if God condoned miscegenation, He would not have separated the races on different continents.

Then they came for the homophobes, and I gripped my Bible fervently and begged them to see why biblical prohibitions on same-sex relationships were inviolate, but the ones on eating shellfish or mixing different types of fabrics could be ignored.

At last they came for me, though I was obviously none of those things, and there was no one left to speak for me.  They must have remembered all that I had said.

-Autistic Angel

Bravo, sir. I could not find a clapping smiley, so this will have to do.  thumbsup
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 02:04:07 PM »

I get it guys, its not cool to be against "anything' these days. Fair enough, i had enough of "cool" in the 60's and 70's where I walked the streets of Toronto as the original hippie. Cool ain't all that and a bag of chips.

But in all seriousness its the same old same old. I want freedom to be who i want to be, and i want everyone to agree with me. Only those who disagree don't have the right to say anything.
They did the same thing to Jesus 2000 years ago. In essence He was killed because He didn't tow the company line, just to fit in.

I wont apologize for giving my opinion where its asked. How silly would that be?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 02:09:09 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 08, 2013, 02:04:07 PM

I get it guys, its not cool to be against "anything' these days. Fair enough, i had enough of "cool" in the 60's and 70's where I walked the streets of Toronto as the original hippie. Cool ain't all that and a bag of chips.

But in all seriousness its the same old same old. I want freedom to be who i want to be, and i want everyone to agree with me. Only those who disagree don't have the right to say anything.
They did the same thing to Jesus 2000 years ago. In essence He was killed because He didn't tow the company line, just to fit in.

I wont apologize for giving my opinion where its asked. How silly would that be?

This has absolutely nothing to do with opinions being "cool" or popular.  This is about basic civil rights for all Americans.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: