http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:27:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallout from "Draw Mohammed Day"  (Read 2050 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »

CNN

Pakistan is blocking access to Facebook in response to an online group calling on people to draw the Prophet Mohammed, officials said Wednesday.  The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority issued the order a day before "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day," scheduled by a Facebook group with the same name.

"Obviously it (the blocking of Facebook) is related to the objectionable material that was placed on Facebook. That is why it is blocked," said Khoram Ali Mehran of the telecommunication authority.  "We have blocked it for an indefinite amount of time. We are just following the government's instructions and the ruling of the Lahore High Court. If the government decides to unblock it then that's what we will do," he told CNN by phone.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:03:29 PM »

At least FB didn't prevent it from happening.  Everyone else kowtows to the mighty image of isalm.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:55:49 PM »

Maybe they should create a rival social networking site that strictly adheres to Islamic doctrine?      You could virtually flog female friends who committed the crime of immodesty by showing too much skin in their profile picture  or play a browser game where you behead infidels who humiliated Islam by drawing a picture of the Prophet.                  Such fun.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »

This is like the only Facebook group I've joined. Still gotta figure out how I'm gonna draw Mo tomorrow.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 04:31:36 PM »

My submission:
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »

can't we all just get along?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:04:06 PM »

Add YouTube and others to the list of blocked sites:

Pakistan, home to the world’s second- largest Muslim population, blocked Google Inc.’s YouTube service and more than 450 Web links as the government widened a crackdown on Internet material it deems blasphemous.

The sites and links were blocked because of the increasing level of sacrilegious and derogatory material, the Islamabad- based Pakistan Telecommunication Authority said in a statement today. The regulator, which shut access to Facebook Inc.’s website yesterday, may block other links with blasphemous content, Khurram Mehran, a spokesman, said.
The regulator has also blocked Internet browsers on Research In Motion Ltd.’s BlackBerry phones, Mehran said today.
“When technology is involved in something objectionable, we have to stop it,” said Chaudhry Zulfiqar, who filed the petition in court asking for the website to be blocked.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 10:25:03 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 20, 2010, 10:04:06 PM

Add YouTube and others to the list of blocked sites:

Pakistan, home to the world’s second- largest Muslim population, blocked Google Inc.’s YouTube service and more than 450 Web links as the government widened a crackdown on Internet material it deems blasphemous.

The sites and links were blocked because of the increasing level of sacrilegious and derogatory material, the Islamabad- based Pakistan Telecommunication Authority said in a statement today. The regulator, which shut access to Facebook Inc.’s website yesterday, may block other links with blasphemous content, Khurram Mehran, a spokesman, said.
The regulator has also blocked Internet browsers on Research In Motion Ltd.’s BlackBerry phones, Mehran said today.
“When technology is involved in something objectionable, we have to stop it,” said Chaudhry Zulfiqar, who filed the petition in court asking for the website to be blocked.
If these idiotic Zealots want to wall themselves off in the 12th Century, that's fine by me.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »

A sense of humor is not a universal trait.

A Seattle cartoonist who stirred up a religious storm with a tongue-in-cheek encouragement to draw images of the Muslim prophet Mohammed has gone into hiding after a threat to her safety.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:47:51 PM »

My adage is that just like it's unwise to wrap yourself in raw steaks and leap into a pool of piranha, or to sit next to a porcupine and keep poking it with a stick "to see what happens," it's probably wise to just leave other religions' traditions alone instead of doing something stupid and mean-spirited that you'll probably regret.

Today's so-called news and journalism might as well just be called "Hey look another idiot nobody's trying to do something to get people pissed off around the globe, let's make him our lead story!" or "Hey, someone's being a jackass on YouTube, let's make him a star!" Roll Eyes Here's an idea, world -- try to find someone who's doing something positive and helpful in the world and make him or her a star, instead of someone who's trying to prove the human race is a waste of DNA. Who knows? Might start a crazy trend in the other direction.  icon_neutral

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 03:04:11 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 17, 2010, 06:47:51 PM

My adage is that just like it's unwise to wrap yourself in raw steaks and leap into a pool of piranha, or to sit next to a porcupine and keep poking it with a stick "to see what happens," it's probably wise to just leave other religions' traditions alone instead of doing something stupid and mean-spirited that you'll probably regret.

When those traditions include rioting and threatening and even murdering others for lawfully expressing their views in their own free society, then it is the duty of the freedom-loving people of the world to denounce that religion (or more specifically the people (mis)practicing it). There will be no progress if we just "leave it alone".

Today's so-called news and journalism might as well just be called "Hey look another idiot nobody's trying to do something to get people pissed off around the globe, let's make him our lead story!" or "Hey, someone's being a jackass on YouTube, let's make him a star!" Roll Eyes Here's an idea, world -- try to find someone who's doing something positive and helpful in the world and make him or her a star, instead of someone who's trying to prove the human race is a waste of DNA. Who knows? Might start a crazy trend in the other direction.  icon_neutral

Everybody Draw Mohammed Day was incredibly positive. Legions of people rose up and declared that we are not afraid of these zealots, that we won't bow down to their threats, that we value freedom of expression more than the lunacies of some stupid religion. Sometimes people deserve and even need to be pissed off.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 18, 2010, 03:04:11 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on September 17, 2010, 06:47:51 PM

When those traditions include rioting and threatening and even murdering others for lawfully expressing their views in their own free society, then it is the duty of the freedom-loving people of the world to denounce that religion (or more specifically the people (mis)practicing it). There will be no progress if we just "leave it alone".

Everybody Draw Mohammed Day was incredibly positive. Legions of people rose up and declared that we are not afraid of these zealots, that we won't bow down to their threats, that we value freedom of expression more than the lunacies of some stupid religion. Sometimes people deserve and even need to be pissed off.

There is a big difference between standing up to inhumane treatment of others in the name of a given religion, and mocking the religious figures of said religion. Your attitude is part of the problem, not the solution.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 08:10:54 PM »

Actually, petulant antagonism is often considered to be one of the most valuable diplomatic tools at our disposal.  I believe it was Margaret Thatcher who said, "There is a great kindness in revealing the values of others as small, comical, and backwards, for it encourages them to realize our inherent superiority and, by measures, embrace our way of thinking."

Haven't you ever wondered why formal meetings between heads of state involve so much speculation on the relative obesity of the other delegates' mothers?

-Autistic Angel
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 05:21:30 AM »

Quote from: Crux on September 20, 2010, 06:51:29 PM

There is a big difference between standing up to inhumane treatment of others in the name of a given religion, and mocking the religious figures of said religion. Your attitude is part of the problem, not the solution.

The solution is for islam to get out of the fucking middle ages. That's not going to happen if they can successfully intimidate and threaten the world into submission anytime one of their antiquated bullshit values is offended. Showing them that the world is not threatened by their violent tantrums is sure as hell a lot better solution than constantly appeasing them.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 06:51:54 AM »

Great idea to do so by starting by mocking another persons belief system. Its surely the road to enlightentment.

A new one
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 09:01:08 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 21, 2010, 05:21:30 AM

Quote from: Crux on September 20, 2010, 06:51:29 PM

The solution is for islam to get out of the fucking middle ages. That's not going to happen if they can successfully intimidate and threaten the world into submission anytime one of their antiquated bullshit values is offended. Showing them that the world is not threatened by their violent tantrums is sure as hell a lot better solution than constantly appeasing them.

The so-called violent tantrums are perpetrated by extremists, not by the general practicing Muslim community.

The funny thing here is that you condone ridiculing others' core beliefs, yet cry foul the second someone disagrees with yours.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on September 21, 2010, 09:01:08 PM

The so-called violent tantrums are perpetrated by extremists, not by the general practicing Muslim community.

Riiiight, religion of peace and all that. This ignores reality. The reality is that the scale of muslim outrage over the Danish cartoons was massive. Embassies burned. People died. Western stores in muslim countries were burned. Flags, many of them American which had no connection with the Danish cartoons, were burned.

"But these are just extremists or provocations by extremists!"

More than half of the world's muslims believe Arabs were not responsible for 9/11.

Face it. There are big, serious problems with Islam and the modern world. Ignoring it or kowtowing is not the solution. If the religion isn't strong enough to take a little mocking then it should go the way of the Dodo.

The funny thing here is that you condone ridiculing others' core beliefs, yet cry foul the second someone disagrees with yours.

Uh, no. I feel everyone should have the right to freely express themselves. Those guys who have those threatening signs are total douchebags, but I would never say they shouldn't be allowed to carry those signs.

Edited because the 3rd pic was duplicate of the first. Also, to include these people who get it:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:22:35 PM by cheeba » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 02:28:35 PM »

Yes, whether you look at world history or your own life, you'll find the most rewarding friendships are always born out of the worst of insults.

For example, when I say that cheeba is as stupid as a sack full of armpits, that's the first step towards making friends with a sack full of armpits.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »

what's scary is this fact about the guy holding the 'Islam will dominate the world' sign:

that's not a beard.

that's chest hair.

Truthiness!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 02:16:33 AM »

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 02:41:29 AM »

And to think, Christians had a fit over my Darwin fish. Can't even imagine what would happen if I even posted a pictured of disrespecting the bible. Hypocrites.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 05:22:22 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 27, 2010, 02:41:29 AM

And to think, Christians had a fit over my Darwin fish. Can't even imagine what would happen if I even posted a pictured of disrespecting the bible. Hypocrites.

Who had a fit over your Darwin fish?

As for Christians being hypocrites about disrespecting the bible? That's bullshit and you know it. I really don't like any religion whatsoever, but when Palestinians burned bibles in 2007, there was not mass Christian rioting in the streets. There were no embassies being burned. There was no demonstration in London with signs of "slay those who insult Christianity."

Hell, Islamist extremists just attempted to assassinate the Pope and you didn't see any Catholics burning down Algerian embassies or mosques.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 06:16:33 AM »

Was there mass protests? No, because they are ignorant on what is going on in the rest of the world. Lets not pretend Christians are easy going.

If I announced to the country, assuming I got the press, that I was going to burn bibles once a week, there would be hell to pay. Christians as a whole may not be as violent, but they are hardly easy going either.

The disrespect Christians are showing over the NY mosque speaks volumes.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:21:09 AM by Lee » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 07:06:24 AM »

And I would add, 17 Muslims attacking this country 9 years ago has created hatred for the religion and panic for anything Muslim.

They have every right to hate us and Christianity. If there were Pakistani bases in the US with bombers flying over our cities the revolt towards their countries and religion would be overwhelming.

As it is our press picks what to show, and they show riots. I would guess it wouldn't be hard to find stories of Christian extremism week after week if it could create buzz. Instead most of us have no clue what is going on, nor do we really care as long as our toys come out on time.

Does being a patriot mean we need to be ignorant also? 
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 12:39:57 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 27, 2010, 06:16:33 AM

If I announced to the country, assuming I got the press, that I was going to burn bibles once a week, there would be hell to pay. Christians as a whole may not be as violent, but they are hardly easy going either.

Except that has no basis in reality or fact. The fact of the matter is bibles are burnt all the time, even (especially?) by other Christians. Just do a quick google and you'll see. There is simply no equivalent reaction to bible burning that there is to the quran burning or danish cartoons, and any attempt to establish equivalence is just complete dishonesty.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 27, 2010, 07:06:24 AM

They have every right to hate us and Christianity. If there were Pakistani bases in the US with bombers flying over our cities the revolt towards their countries and religion would be overwhelming.

As it is our press picks what to show, and they show riots. I would guess it wouldn't be hard to find stories of Christian extremism week after week if it could create buzz. Instead most of us have no clue what is going on, nor do we really care as long as our toys come out on time.

Does being a patriot mean we need to be ignorant also? 

And wow, that is just utterly ridiculous crazy talk right there. Apparently no muslim is to blame for his own actions! It's either not his fault because he's right to hate Christianity, even though America does not act in the name of Christianity, or it's the press' fault, because, you know, showing burning embassies and mass rioting in multiple countries resulting in multiple deaths is totally inappropriate. Holy shit dude.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 06:23:01 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 27, 2010, 12:56:06 PM

And wow, that is just utterly ridiculous crazy talk right there. Apparently no muslim is to blame for his own actions! It's either not his fault because he's right to hate Christianity, even though America does not act in the name of Christianity, or it's the press' fault, because, you know, showing burning embassies and mass rioting in multiple countries resulting in multiple deaths is totally inappropriate. Holy shit dude.

Right: unless we blame *all* Muslims for the actions of a tiny minority, we can't ever hold anyone responsible for anything, ever.  That's why cheeba believes that all Muslims are responsible for rioting about the Danish cartoons, all sports fans are responsible for post-game riots, all game developers are responsible for Master of Orion III, and all Christians are responsible for the widespread sexual abuse of children by Catholic priests across several decades and multiple countries.

As Jesus always said, "Whatsoever is done by the least of my brothers, that is done by us all." 

-Autistic Angel
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 07:47:19 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 27, 2010, 06:23:01 PM

Right: unless we blame *all* Muslims for the actions of a tiny minority, we can't ever hold anyone responsible for anything, ever.  That's why cheeba believes that all Muslims are responsible for rioting about the Danish cartoons

...because that's exactly what I said, right? Because you've been so good at interpreting my posts so far. Idiot.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 08:37:55 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 27, 2010, 02:41:29 AM

Go ahead and burn a bible. Post a video of it. Mail me the ashes with a nasty card.  Won't offend me at all. It's just ink on paper.

One can't have it both ways. Either this is a Christian nation or it's not.  If it is, then stop complaining about God on the money and the ten commandments in courtrooms.

If it isn't, then you can't even begin to say that the mess we're in in the ME has anything to do with Christianity.  It's been 60 years in the making and no one has ever claimed that the US was acting in the interests of God. The US was, is and always will act on what it perceives is the best way to maintain it's power and authority.  Two things that don't mix well with the Gospel.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 08:40:52 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 27, 2010, 06:16:33 AM

By some extremists yes. And that is exactly your point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: