http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:30:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epitaph to Hillary's campaign is being written  (Read 1187 times)
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2008, 12:18:57 AM »

The explanation for her precipitous loss is (drumroll please)
Sexism.

Clinton for the first time addressed what women have been talking about for months, what she refers to as the "sexist" treatment she has endured at the hands of the pundits, media and others. The lewd T-shirts. The man who shouted "Iron my shirt" at a campaign event. The references to her cleavage and her cackle.
"It's been deeply offensive to millions of women," Clinton said. "I believe this campaign has been a groundbreaker in a lot of ways. But it certainly has been challenging given some of the attitudes in the press, and I regret that, because I think it's been really not worthy of the seriousness of the campaign and the historical nature of the two candidacies we have here."

Later, when asked if she thinks this campaign has been racist, she says she does not. And she circles back to the sexism. "The manifestation of some of the sexism that has gone on in this campaign is somehow more respectable, or at least more accepted, and . . . there should be equal rejection of the sexism and the racism when it raises its ugly head," she said. "It does seem as though the press at least is not as bothered by the incredible vitriol that has been engendered by the comments by people who are nothing but misogynists."

Sexism. 
As Sen. Clinton struggles in the Democratic presidential race, she and some of her supporters have pointed to sexism as a decisive factor in the primary contest.

Sexism.
An Ohio-based group of Democratic Hillary Clinton supporters say they’ll work actively against Sen. Barack Obama if he becomes the nominee, arguing that Clinton has been the subject of intense sexism” by party leaders and the media.  Led by Boomer-aged women, the group, Clinton Supporters Count Too, is holding a press conference in Columbus at noon to release this statement.

Organizers Cynthia Ruccia, 55, and Jamie Dixey, 57, both from the Columbus area, say they’re coordinating women, men, minorities, union members and others in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida and Michigan – all important swing states next November – to impress upon Democratic party leaders what they think has been outright discrimination – and not of the racial kind.

“We have been vigilant against expressions of racism, and we are thrilled that the society has advanced that way” in accepting Obama as a serious candidate,” Ruccia said. “But it’s been open season on women, and we feel we need to stand up and make a statement about that, because it’s wrong.”

In the interest of fair and balanced, I'll provide an alternate view but mind you, since it is the opinion of a man, it doesn't count.  How about Obama is a Formidable Opponent?

Bob Kerrey, who ran for president in 1992 and lost the nomination to former President Clinton, says Clinton's tactical errors in her campaign pale in comparison with a much bigger, much simpler reason for her troubles — mainly, that her opponent is a great politician.  "I'm not sure Bill Clinton could have beaten Barack Obama," he said. "Every mistake that she made, if she had not been running against Barack Obama, wouldn't even be a footnote. They're exaggerated. They're magnified because he kept out-raising her, because he was drawing enormous crowds, because he kept getting better.". 

Hillary, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to look up the word "dolchstosslegende."

Saving the world one post at a time.
Ironrod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:36:33 AM »

Quote from: helot2000 on May 22, 2008, 12:18:57 AM

Bob Kerrey, who ran for president in 1992 and lost the nomination to former President Clinton, says Clinton's tactical errors in her campaign pale in comparison with a much bigger, much simpler reason for her troubles — mainly, that her opponent is a great politician.  "I'm not sure Bill Clinton could have beaten Barack Obama," he said. "Every mistake that she made, if she had not been running against Barack Obama, wouldn't even be a footnote. They're exaggerated. They're magnified because he kept out-raising her, because he was drawing enormous crowds, because he kept getting better.". 

I've got to buy one of those new election PC games when my stimulus check gets here. Bill Clinton vs Obama in a primary simulation would be fun.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:45:44 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 22, 2008, 02:36:33 AM

I've got to buy one of those new election PC games when my stimulus check gets here. Bill Clinton vs Obama in a primary simulation would be fun.
One word...AAR.

Saving the world one post at a time.
Electronic Dan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:00:15 PM »

Quote from: helot2000 on May 22, 2008, 02:45:44 AM

Quote from: Ironrod on May 22, 2008, 02:36:33 AM

One word...AAR.

I played President Forever in the '92 campaign, creating Obama with the values they had set (mainstream liberal, average personal variables except for the highest charisma) except that I gave him starting support of 16% in every state (I wasn't going to input every state).  I played a minor candidate and did nothing so I could watch the two battle it out (I would have probably won in a landslide if I played either of them because I know the game well).

The winner was...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Tsongas

Bill started in the lead with about half the projected delegates and about 20% support.  Obama had about 10% of the projected delegates, even though he had significant support (shades of Jesse Jackson), and ended up dropping in early April, along with others who dropped in April and May and backed Tsongas, giving him enough support to win.  Clinton won most of the south and some scattered states in the midwest.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:44:27 AM »

Part of the reason why I prefer Obama is that he has good science advisers.  With the spread of pseudoscience and underhanded creationism in schools and media this has become a big issue for me personally.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 12:46:55 AM by Turtle » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: