http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 01:11:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egyptian Presidential Elections: Morsi wins, feuds with top court.  (Read 368 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/23/world/africa/egypt-elections/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

One of the world's oldest civilizations took a major step toward democracy Wednesday, as Egyptians began a historic vote for president, even as many worried that the armed forces would quash the results if the top brass doesn't like them.

It is the first time the country has had a presidential election where no one knows what the result will be before the ballots are cast.

"Finally, Egypt is born," one weeping 80-year-old man told Rep. David Dreier, a California Republican who is in Cairo as an election observer.

Grandmother Nadia Fahmy, 70, was so determined to be the first one to vote at her polling station that she camped out in a plastic chair for 2 hours before it opened.

"I am here to vote for the first time in my life," said Fahmy. "I want to see a new generation for my country. I want everything to change."

Other people told CNN they had waited up to four hours to vote as an atmosphere of enthusiasm swept polling stations in the capital.

The voting is a monumental achievement for those who worked to topple longtime President Hosni Mubarak in one of the seminal developments of the Arab Spring more than a year ago. And it could reverberate far beyond the country's borders, since Egypt is in many ways the center of gravity of the Arab world.

now to see who gets elected, and if they will make a difference.  they have quite a choice:

There are 13 candidates on the ballot, although two withdrew from the race after ballots were printed. If no candidate gets a majority of the vote in the first round, a second round will be held June 16-17.

sounds like they took a page from the Republican primaries  icon_lol
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:52:17 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:11:23 AM »

and the unrest begins:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47593029/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.T8R2X8WwW6o

Demonstrators furious that Hosni Mubarak's last prime minister made it into the run-off for the country's presidential election set ablaze his campaign headquarters on Monday, underscoring the divisive outcome of the nation's historic vote.

The campaign offices of Ahmed Shafiq, viewed as a symbol of Mubarak's rule, were set on fire after a group of protesters broke into and vandalized the premises, the state news agency reported. An official in the fire service confirmed the blaze had been extinguished without causing any casualties.

Several thousand protesters took to the streets across Egypt to demonstrate against the first-round result - a run-off between Shafiq and the Muslim Brotherhood's Mohamed Mursi, two of the most controversial figures in the field.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 11:35:27 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47817477/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.T9p027XNlIY

Judges appointed by Hosni Mubarak dissolved the Islamist-dominated parliament Thursday and ruled that Mubarak's former prime minister can stand in the presidential runoff this weekend setting the stage for the military and remnants of the old regime to stay in power.

The rulings effectively erase the tenuous progress from the past year's troubled transition, leaving Egypt with no parliament and concentrating rule even more firmly in the hands of the military generals who took power after Mubarak's ouster.

The fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood, which stands to lose the most from the rulings, called the moves a coup and vowed to rally the street against the ruling military and former prime minister Ahmed Shafiq, the presidential candidate seen by critics as a favorite of the generals and a symbol of Mubarak's autocratic rule.

As night fell, a crowd of protesters was rapidly growing in Cairo's Tahrir Square, birthplace of the uprising that toppled Mubarak last year.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:07:22 AM »

and the plot thickens, with the Muslim Brotherhood declaring its candidate the winner but the military issuing a decree that looks like it is meant to keep them in power before the results were in:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/17/12270842-military-guards-egypt-power-as-islamists-claim-victory?lite

As Egyptians waited for the results of the presidential election, the ruling military council issued new rules that made clear the real power remains with the army.

The Muslim Brotherhood's party on Monday declared its candidate, Mohammed Morsi, had won the country's first free presidential election, defeating Ahmed Shafik, ousted president Hosni Mubarak's last prime minister.

At Shafik's campaign headquarters, Ahmed Sarhan said: "I do not accept this, I will not file wrong numbers." But another campaigner said: "I don't think we will make it." One woman campaigner at Shafik's headquarters was in tears.

Hours earlier, the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) issued a decree granting itself broad power over the future government, diminishing  the authority of the president and seizing control of the process of writing a permanent constitution, The New York Times reported.

The move is the latest in a series of steps that the military has taken recently to hold on power they had promised to hand over to elected civilians, the Times reported.

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »

It's odd seeing a military coup that involves technocrats more than soldiering. It seems that the Egyptians are going to need a second revolution, and ousting the army is potentially much bloodier than overthrowing a dictator. Their military more or less stayed on the sidelines the first time around.

Unfortunately (from our Western perspective), the military appears to be the only force preventing the rise of another theocracy. To the extent that we want Egypt to remain a secular nation, the army is the good guys.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
VictorGrunn
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:33:25 AM »

Everyone loves democracy so long as they vote the right way. Even dictators. slywink

Anyway, it looks like there's progress in Egypt. They're about to ratify a "one gun, one vote" policy!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 12:01:41 AM »

result may be announced this weekend:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/22/12358436-on-verge-of-explosion-huge-protest-as-egyptians-await-election-results

A result is not expected until Saturday or Sunday, giving the country a tense weekend, although the vast majority, many not greatly enamored of either candidate in the run-off, were staying at home and passing Friday's Muslim weekend as normal.

of course that means Egypt could be exploding again come Monday.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »

Islamist Mohammed Morsi, Muslim Brotherhood-backed candidate, wins Egypt election

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/24/12379018-islamist-mohammed-morsi-muslim-brotherhood-backed-candidate-wins-egypt-election?lite

Mohammed Morsi, the Muslim Brotherhood-backed candidate, was declared Egypt's first Islamist president on Sunday with 51.7 percent of last weekend's run-off vote, defeating former Mubarak acolyte Ahmed Shafiq.

The announcement by the state election committee touched off a jubilant celebration in Cairo's Tahrir Square, where thousands of Brotherhood supporters burst into cheers. The crowd waved national flags and chanted "Allahu Akbar!" or "God is great!" Morsi will be sworn in on July 1, according to the election timetable.

His victory followed speculation and anxiety about backroom deals and suspected interference by the ruling military council in determining the outcome in favor of Shafiq, widely seen as the candidate of pre-revolution Egypt.

In the end, Morsi won 51.7 percent, or 13,230,131 votes, to 48 percent, or 12,347,380 votes, for Shafiq, the state election committee announced.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »

Egypt's top court rules parliament's dissolution final and binding:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/09/12636920-in-showdown-with-new-president-egypts-top-court-says-ruling-on-parliament-final?lite

Egypt's highest court insisted Monday that its ruling that led to the dissolution of the Islamist-dominated parliament was final and binding, setting up a showdown with the country's newly elected president.

The court, which ruled on June 14 that the Islamist-led parliament had been elected based on unconstitutional rules, also said it would review appeals challenging the constitutionality of President Mohammed Morsi's decree.

"We will hear these cases tomorrow (Tuesday)," the court's head, Maher el-Beheiry, told Reuters.

The announcement on state TV came a day after Morsi recalled the legislators, defying the powerful military's decision to dismiss parliament after the Supreme Constitutional Court ruled that a third of its members had been elected illegally.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 10:00:17 PM »

I'll be very interested to see the legal justification for this.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: