http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 09:07:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duck Dynasty  (Read 3033 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »

Man I so hope they walk.  This entire thing is so ludicrous. 

A&E has shot themselves in the foot due to a whiny rant by GLAAD. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake up.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »

My question is... what the fsck was GQ doing interviewing them?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »

While I'm sure it's going to cost them significantly, I applaud A&E for having the balls to show that they're not willing to have the guy spouting bigoted and racist bullshit be one of the major public faces representing their network.  

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »

Do you applaud them then for "documenting" and profiting from the exploitation of the freakshow of parenting known as pagentry? They have no balls. They are simply protecting themselves from liability. This is where "The views expressed in this show do not reflect those of the network, or their executives who are busy counting their money." boilerplate covers it - their suspension of the show is, in and of itself a show.

Reaction is reaction, and while you may not want a guy who is expressly back-woods in both nature and presentation speaking his mind on gay people and religion, why else were you watching him other than as some sort of contrast to your own life? What happened to the precious freedom of speech?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/20/showbiz/duck-dynasty-suspension/?hpt=hp_t1

As for his comments?

"It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man's anus. That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical," he's quoted as saying.

When asked what he thought was sinful, Robertson replied: "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

But homosexuals aren't alone, Robertson said. "Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."

This is isn't hate or slander - he's expressing his opinion and isn't pushing it on others. He also calls out the greedy, drunks, slanderers and swindlers. They just don't have as strong a lobby group.

On top of which, this Kingdom of Heaven? It's religion. His comments when not taken out of context are far less than what A&E would have you believe. Suspending him / the show is not saving anyone from anything.

Truthiness!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »

Hell, he even calls out promiscuity. That's right, folks. Apparently being a slut is a sin. I'm sure the People For Gettin' Some (PFGS) will be all over A&E if they let him continue to spew hate-mongering.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 02:32:47 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 20, 2013, 02:17:52 PM

Reaction is reaction, and while you may not want a guy who is expressly back-woods in both nature and presentation speaking his mind on gay people and religion, why else were you watching him other than as some sort of contrast to your own life? What happened to the precious freedom of speech?

I have never watched Duck Dynasty, so I have exactly zero investment in whether or not the show continues.  I also couldn't tell you a single show on A&E, so I'll defer to you on them being hypocrites due to the "pagent shows".

Anyone claiming his "freedom of speech" has been violated has a fundamental misunderstanding of the 1st Amendment. Last I checked, Mr Duck wasn't incarcerated or imprisoned because of his comments. He is perfectly free to say whatever he wants, just as A&E is perfectly free to decide they don't want him publicly representing their brand due to his views, just as most of us are perfectly free to think he's an idiot. Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from the consequences of saying stupid things.

Also, aren't most of the guys in this family highly educated (I read somewhere that he has an MBA and a couple of them attended Harvard)?   Outward presentation aside, I'd hardly call them "back-woods".

As for his comments?

"It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man's anus. That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical," he's quoted as saying.

When asked what he thought was sinful, Robertson replied: "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

But homosexuals aren't alone, Robertson said. "Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."

This is isn't hate or slander - he's expressing his opinion and isn't pushing it on others. He also calls out the greedy, drunks, slanderers and swindlers. They just don't have as strong a lobby group.

Again, his opinions are his own and he's perfectly free to espouse them and express them whenever and however he wants.  If A&E chooses not to have him represent them, then that's their decision, and one that I personally have no issue with.  And frankly, I thought his borderline racist comments were far worse than his religious stance on homosexuals:

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once,” he said. “Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field … They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!… Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Then I guess we could have avoided that whole pesky civil rights struggle since everyone was perfectly happy and singing in the fields, right?

On top of which, this Kingdom of Heaven? It's religion. His comments when not taken out of context are far less than what A&E would have you believe. Suspending him / the show is not saving anyone from anything.

Who said anything about "saving anyone"?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:37:37 PM by Gratch » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »

My apologies - A&E is not responsible for Toddlers and Tiaras.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Dog the Bounty Hunter, Gene Simmons Family Jewels, Growing Up Gotti, Family Plots, Airline, Inked, King of Cars and Criss Angel Mindfreak, Rodeo Girls (Bikini or Bust is the current advertising on their site http://www.aetv.com/rodeo-girls)

They are responsible for Duck Dynasty - which is a "reality show" take on The Beverly Hillbillies.

How this was going to turn out any different I don't know. As for saving? Yeah, A&E certainly stood up to those hillbilly bullies and protected the gays of the world. They needed saving from such harsh comments about one mans opinion - a man who is a self-identified white trash and was simply expressing himself without hate or judgement.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 20, 2013, 02:02:14 PM

My question is... what the fsck was GQ doing interviewing them?
this.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 20, 2013, 03:55:05 PM

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
this too.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 20, 2013, 02:05:36 PM

While I'm sure it's going to cost them significantly, I applaud A&E for having the balls to show that they're not willing to have the guy spouting bigoted and racist bullshit be one of the major public faces representing their network. 
hopefully it will just kill the show.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 20, 2013, 02:32:47 PM

I have never watched Duck Dynasty, so I have exactly zero investment in whether or not the show continues.

I tried to once.  made it 5 minutes.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 20, 2013, 03:08:24 PM

As for saving? Yeah, A&E certainly stood up to those hillbilly bullies and protected the gays of the world. They needed saving from such harsh comments about one mans opinion - a man who is a self-identified white trash and was simply expressing himself without hate or judgement.

You think A&E's reason for canning him is because he's a bully and that gays need "protecting" from his opinions?  

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree on that one.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »

They're taking "strong action" to protect people. So yeah, the word "saving" is in there.

Disney owns 50% of A&E (or its parent company).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
:)
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 20, 2013, 04:11:38 PM

Quote from: Purge on December 20, 2013, 03:08:24 PM

As for saving? Yeah, A&E certainly stood up to those hillbilly bullies and protected the gays of the world. They needed saving from such harsh comments about one mans opinion - a man who is a self-identified white trash and was simply expressing himself without hate or judgement.

You think A&E's reason for canning him is because he's a bully and that gays need "protecting" from his opinions?  

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree on that one.

true, if they started canning people for opinions that bullied someone FOX News would have no one left.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 20, 2013, 04:19:19 PM

They're taking "strong action" to protect people. So yeah, the word "saving" is in there.

Did A&E make a public statement to this effect?  I haven't seen anything (I've only seen that they said Robertson’s views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, which are “supporters and champions of the LGBT community.”), but maybe I missed it.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 05:00:56 PM »

"Duck Dynasty"? Another one of those things I wish had never crossed my consciousness, like Honey Boo Boo.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »

icon_lol  that's just mean, moving Eco's topic to someplace he can't go icon_twisted

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 20, 2013, 05:08:50 PM

icon_lol  that's just mean, moving Eco's topic to someplace he can't go icon_twisted

Heh, I didn't see who created it, just know the subject will turn into religious debates. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 20, 2013, 04:28:25 PM

Quote from: Purge on December 20, 2013, 04:19:19 PM

Did A&E make a public statement to this effect?  I haven't seen anything (I've only seen that they said Robertson’s views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, which are “supporters and champions of the LGBT community.”), but maybe I missed it.

That was the comment I heard on the radio on the drive in this morning. It may be media simply jumping up and down with political correctness. I have no great love of hurt feelings on behalf of others. I also think using the phrase "that's gay" to be wrong.

But this hillbilly? He was talking about his feelings about what's right for him including religious backing. I strongly disagree with some of it - but the way in which he said it breaks no boundaries. They wanna make him a star? So be it - but you're going to get this kind of thing and acting all surprised about it, or suspending him from the show simply because he made a statement in an interview (not actually talking about it on the show that I know of) seems downright stupid and has nothing to do with right or wrong.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »

Quote from: naednek on December 20, 2013, 05:12:46 PM

Heh, I didn't see who created it, just know the subject will turn into religious debates. 

yeah, more than likely.  besides, FOX news was already invoked.

Because I can,
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »

I can step in for Eco, here it goes:

"Grumble, grumble, grumble, freedom, grumble grumble, grumble, free speech, grumble, grumble, grumble, stupid liberals, grumble, grumble, grumble, muricka!"

How did I do?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on December 20, 2013, 05:30:25 PM

"Grumble, grumble, grumble, freedom, grumble grumble, grumble, free speech, grumble, grumble, grumble, stupid liberals, grumble, grumble, grumble, muricka!"

How did I do?

You forgot something about prying from your cold, dead hands!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 20, 2013, 05:56:29 PM

Quote from: Scraper on December 20, 2013, 05:30:25 PM

How did I do?

You forgot something about prying from your cold, dead hands!

and mentioning that Obama makes you want to punch stuff!

Because I can,
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 05:59:25 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 20, 2013, 02:17:52 PM

They don't need lobbyists. They are called politicians.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »

Nice. slywink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »

yep.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 08:22:11 PM »

Good thing it was just that one isolated incident of Robertson expressing his biblical beliefs.  Oh wait...

"Women with women, men with men, they committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions," he continued. "They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil. That's what you have 235 years, roughly, after your forefathers founded the country. So what are you gonna do Pennsylvania? Just run with them? You're going to die. Don't forget that."

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »

Let me fill you in:

2012 is the original run

I don't think you're making the case you think you're making. Your quote comes from 2010. Guess what? I'm pretty sure A&E knows how to do their legwork on a guy, so them going "ooo, bad" now is a load of BS. I'm fairly aware of social politeness, and while some PC terms make sense, this act (and make no mistake, it is entirely an act) of doing the "right thing" is a load of PR hooey.

Is the guy right? I don't know, I'm not getting into the Kingdom of Heaven(tm). Is it right to suspend him for the comments he made? Hell no. Does he need to care, with all the money he has/wants/needs? Pretty sure that's also a no.

Regardless, it certainly fails to draw admiration from me for them having "the balls".

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »

of course, this is TV, you have to wonder if the whole thing isn't being staged for publicity.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 08:58:32 PM »

For clarity's sake, I posted his quote as a counter to the "poor innocent guy who is being wrongly persecuted for expressing his benign religious beliefs" narrative, not as any sort of justification for A&E's reaction.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »

Sorry if the response seemed attacking - I was clarifying my point in this. I don't think he's right in saying the things he's said in an interview - but he also doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who, with the fame and money he already has, is going to give a shit. smile

So to clarify mine : I don't think he's a poor guy who's getting a raw deal. I think instead A&E is trying to push themselves from his view too hard, when they've known all along what those views really are (and have made fat bank on him and his family).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »

Then he proceeded straight to Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers – they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

somewhere a kettle was just called out.

Because I can,
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 05:21:22 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 20, 2013, 04:10:31 PM

Hardly, just going to make it even more popular. Just maybe not on A&E. Although I suspect A&E will work hard to prevent that from happening.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »

The Stand with Phil Robertson facebook page already has 1.4 million likes.

I'm sure A&E will bring him back, especially with the family saying they can't imagine the show going on without him. They pull in too many viewers to simply pull the plug on the show.

Personally, could care less about Duck Dynasty or what Phil Robertson thinks. He has his own personal views, that he talked about outside of the show and off the air, so who cares if he's a born again Christian who thinks homosexuality is a sin?

When President Obama said he believed marriage was between a man and a woman, that was his own personal belief. (Which has changed it seems.) I don't agree with it, but completely respect his right to think whatever he wants.

Don't like Robertson? Seems like the easiest solution to that is simply to not watch the show. (Which ironically are probably the same ones complaining.) Apparently his supporters like him all the more and aren't going to ditch the show anytime soon. If anything, the opposite has happened.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2013, 07:20:04 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on December 21, 2013, 07:19:49 AM

The Stand with Phil Robertson facebook page already has 1.4 million likes.

I'm sure A&E will bring him back, especially with the family saying they can't imagine the show going on without him. They pull in too many viewers to simply pull the plug on the show.

Personally, could care less about Duck Dynasty or what Phil Robertson thinks. He has his own personal views, that he talked about outside of the show and off the air, so who cares if he's a born again Christian who thinks homosexuality is a sin?

When President Obama said he believed marriage was between a man and a woman, that was his own personal belief. (Which has changed it seems.) I don't agree with it, but completely respect his right to think whatever he wants.

Don't like Robertson? Seems like the easiest solution to that is simply to not watch the show. (Which ironically are probably the same ones complaining.) Apparently his supporters like him all the more and aren't going to ditch the show anytime soon. If anything, the opposite has happened.

Quote from: Rip on December 21, 2013, 05:21:22 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 20, 2013, 04:10:31 PM

Hardly, just going to make it even more popular. Just maybe not on A&E. Although I suspect A&E will work hard to prevent that from happening.
good point Rip.

Because I can,
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »

I have seen the phrase "and racist" but have yet to see evidence of this.  Can someone point to signs of racism from the family?
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »

So belittling a man for speaking what he reads in his Bible, is better than the "sin" you're calling him up on? cough, hypocrites.
Its another excuse to jump on Christians and make us sound like we're all whacko's. And I'm not saying Phill is either.

Self-righteous posts aside, search your self and see what you're really upset with. Or is it the cool thing to do?

You're not being any better than the man you're slinging arrows at. Yours is just covered by the status-quo.

Do I as a Christian condone what Phill said? I only have my Bible to go by. But I don't judge anyone.

Hollywood has done a wonderful job of exploiting the Christian faith by putting ALL Christians in the same barrel when all they are doing is showing a fringe element of our Faith and claiming its the norm.

Here is my stand on issues like this. stand-by cliché incoming......................I love the person, and hate the sin. ...........But again, that's my belief. How can I be judged on that? Or anyother who does?

Back to feeling good about yourselves, because we all know you're perfect in everyway.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on December 21, 2013, 03:11:23 PM

So belittling a man for speaking what he reads in his Bible, is better than the "sin" you're calling him up on? cough, hypocrites.
Its another excuse to jump on Christians and make us sound like we're all whacko's. And I'm not saying Phill is either.

Self-righteous posts aside, search your self and see what you're really upset with. Or is it the cool thing to do?

You're not being any better than the man you're slinging arrows at. Yours is just covered by the status-quo.

Do I as a Christian condone what Phill said? I only have my Bible to go by. But I don't judge anyone.

Hollywood has done a wonderful job of exploiting the Christian faith by putting ALL Christians in the same barrel when all they are doing is showing a fringe element of our Faith and claiming its the norm.

Here is my stand on issues like this. stand-by cliché incoming......................I love the person, and hate the sin. ...........But again, that's my belief. How can I be judged on that? Or anyother who does?

Back to feeling good about yourselves, because we all know you're perfect in everyway.

This has nothing to do with belittling anyones religion and everything to do about not being tolerant of bigotry and hate.  Robertson happened to cloak his bigotry in in the Bible, hence why its even brought into play.

I couldn't care less what religion he is, when someone says something like this, he deserves to be called out on it. 

Women with women, men with men, they committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions," he continued. "They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil. That's what you have 235 years, roughly, after your forefathers founded the country. So what are you gonna do Pennsylvania? Just run with them? You're going to die. Don't forget that."

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2013, 03:37:06 PM »

Quote from: Montag on December 21, 2013, 02:23:26 PM

I have seen the phrase "and racist" but have yet to see evidence of this.  Can someone point to signs of racism from the family?

Check here.  He apparently thinks Jim Crow laws were fine and dandy because he didn't happen to hear anyone complain.

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once," the reality star said of growing up in pre-Civil-Rights-era Louisiana. "Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' — not a word!"

Robertson continued, "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

Again, I've never seen the show so I only have these little bits and pieces to go from.  However, those comments don't exactly shine a positive light on him.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: