http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 08:44:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detroit  (Read 379 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »

An alternative thread to the one started by Eco in order to discuss what is happening in Detroit.

A review of Detroit's Bankruptcy by the mustachioed libertarian John Stossel.

The Detroit News revealed that Detroit in 2011 had around twice as many municipal employees per capita as cities with comparable populations. The city water and sewer department employed a "horseshoer" even though it keeps no horses.
Politicians think they know best, but they can't alter the laws of economics. They can't make mismanaged industries, constant government meddling, welfare and bureaucratic labor union rules (Detroit has 47 unions) into a formula for success.
And if you criticized them for it, politicians like former Mayor Coleman Young called you a racist. "To attack Detroit is to attack black," Young said. That tends to shut critics up.

This article at Salon blames Republicans. Though I don't think Republicans have a monopoly on crony capitalism.

For a good sense of some of the most expensive, absurd and utterly wasteful boondoggles in the Detroit area over the last few decades, read this piece from Crain’s Detroit or see this 2011 article entitled “Detroit’s Corporate Welfare Binge” by Detroit News columnist Bill Johnson. Alternately, recall this is in the heart of a region whose governments infamously spent $55 million of taxpayer money in 1975 (or a whopping $180 million in inflation-adjusted dollars) on one professional football stadium, then spent another $300 million on yet another football stadium, then sold off the original stadium for just $583,000. Or, just note that Detroit is the largest city in a state that, according to the New York Times, spends more per capita on corporate subsidies — $672 or $6.6 billion a year — than most other states.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:45:59 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/bankrupt-detroit-probably-still-getting-publicly-funded-hockey-111700590.html

Crap like this doesn't help when a city is bankrupt.    Tax payers should not be paying one cent for sport team facilities like this.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on July 25, 2013, 05:45:59 PM

Tax payers should not be paying one cent for sport team facilities like this.

Or any sports stadium. It's a big lie that stadiums bring jobs and revenue to a city worth the tax payer subsidies.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »

I'm guessing the stadium is a vanity project for someone (or some group).  Allowing it to die probably would make them feel like they failed.  What should make them feel like they failed is that they failed.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 25, 2013, 06:06:22 PM

I'm guessing the stadium is a vanity project for someone (or some group).  Allowing it to die probably would make them feel like they failed.  What should make them feel like they failed is that they failed.

From the Gov
"This is part of investing in Detroit's future," said Snyder, a Republican who blessed a state-appointed emergency manager's request to take the city into bankruptcy last week. "That's the message we need to get across. ... As we stabilize the city government's finances, as we address those issues and improve services, Detroit moves from a place where people might have had a negative impression -- although there are great things already going on -- to being a place that will be recognized across the world as a place of great value and a place to invest."

I wonder if he has these 25 things in mind when he talks about all the great things happening in Detroit.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 03:38:44 AM »

I don't know how big a role politics played in the decline of Detroit, but I do know that it was declining when I grew up in MI during the 1960s and 70s. With its reputation as the Murder City and "white flight" following the 1967 riots, Detroit's been in a death spiral for a very long time. I always understood this to be more a consequence of demographics than of politics -- anybody who could afford to leave, did. AFAIK the wealthy suburbs around the dead city core are still doing pretty well.

There have been so many failed attempts to revitalize the core over the decades, from the Renaissance Center to the ridiculous monorail to all the sports facilities, that conventional redevelopment projects aren't going to work. They're going to have to bulldoze most of the city, consolidate what's left, and build it back out one neighborhood at a time. 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

It didn't help that they built that giant fist and pointed it at Canada.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 26, 2013, 01:29:35 PM

It didn't help that they built that giant fist and pointed it at Canada.

... as sadly it went unnoticed by most Canadians.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »

Seems appropriate, and Bowie is never a bad thing on a Friday.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: