http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 04:56:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Defend this human garbage  (Read 2406 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:45:51 PM »

Horrific child abuse case from Baltimore. Too horrific for words. But here's a sample:

A Westminster man is accused of raping, beating and burning the 21-month-old daughter of his girlfriend while the mother slept nearby, Carroll County sheriff's deputies said Tuesday.

Ryan Chad Gifford, 23, was arrested Sunday and charged with first- and second-degree assault and first- and second-degree child abuse after the girl's mother took her to a hospital for treatment of burns, a swollen face and extensive abrasions.

Gifford was being held at the Caroll County Detention Center in lieu of $500,000 bond after a bail review hearing Monday. If found guilty of the charges, he could face up to 75 years in prison.

The child was in intensive care at Johns Hopkins Hospital, police said. Hospital officials would not release her condition Tuesday because of laws protecting the privacy of minors.

Police said Gifford and his girlfriend bought some alcohol Saturday evening and drank it in his home in the 500 block of Yellow Lilly Court, where the girl and her mother were spending the night.

Gifford attacked the girl while the mother was sleeping, according to a police report, after drinking a half- gallon of white wine.

On Sunday morning, the woman discovered that her daughter had been hurt and took her to Carroll Hospital Center in Westminster. The girl was transferred to Hopkins because of the severity of her injuries, police said.

Police were called to Carroll Hospital Center on a report of child abuse. After examining the girl, they secured a warrant to search Gifford's home. There they found a bloody T-shirt belonging to Gifford that had some of the child's blond hair attached, accord to the report.

"Blood was found on his bed, baby pack-and-play, baby's socks, and toilet seat," Cpl. William Burdt wrote in the report. "I told Gifford what we had found in his room and he stated, ‘Must have been her blood — I don't remember anything.' "

I want to hear from someone who's against the death penalty. Want to hear what's your argument that a piece of human garbage like this guy shouldn't be shot in the back of the head *the moment* the DNA test comes back positive that he did it. I get so frustrated at how innefectual our justice system is.. and how monsters like this get opportunity and opportunity to strike again.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:49:43 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »

Well, I'm not against the death penalty. But had to chime in to say I'm with you 100%; I feel like the death penalty is in place to exercise for individuals like this guy.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:03:32 PM »

I am not sure what you mean by the "opportunity to strike again and again"?  I didn't read that the man had done something like this before.

I don't think killing this man the instant the DNA came back positive is consistent with our system of law.  The law has to apply to this guy equally as it does to you or anyone else.  Either that or there will quickly become more and more offenses that become instant punishment.

Shouldn't the mother die as well?  She put her child in danger and drank so much she could not protect her.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on April 14, 2010, 05:03:32 PM

I am not sure what you mean by the "opportunity to strike again and again"?  I didn't read that the man had done something like this before.

Due to our law system current lack of actually dispensing Justice, this man would likely get serve a reduced sentence after which he would have an opportunity to stike again. Our law system has a shitty, short-term memory. Thus, I argue this man shouldn't be allowed to live if found guilty of this heinous crime.

I don't think killing this man the instant the DNA came back positive is consistent with our system of law.  The law has to apply to this guy equally as it does to you or anyone else.  Either that or there will quickly become more and more offenses that become instant punishment.

As I said above.. our system of law never dispense justice. it's seemingly there to make sure our collective consciousness are reassured that we're 'good people' by not properly dispensing the justice necessary in this case: Instant death. Not all crimes should carry this penalty, but this type of unthinkable rape of a child should be punishable with instant death.

Shouldn't the mother die as well?  She put her child in danger and drank so much she could not protect her.

She should serve time for severe negligence.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »

What other crimes should come with an instant death penalty?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:16:05 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on April 14, 2010, 05:56:48 PM

Any rape/torture/murder of a child. Remember, that's as long as there's incontrovertial DNA evidence.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »

Being wrong on the internet! 

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 06:38:18 PM »

Why wouldn't the rape of a post-pubescent person be punishable by instant death?

The whole instant death thing is a non-starter for me, the foundation of our system of law is trial before a jury of your peers.  instant death means DNA tests or proof could be rigged and boom you are dead.

You look at this case as open and shut and then extrapolate it to all such cases which is rather dangerous in my view.

what if the woman encouraged him to do it?  or the case of the sister who sold her 7 year old sister for sex?  Should she and all the men who had sex with the 7 year old instantly die in your view?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on April 14, 2010, 06:32:00 PM

Being wrong on the internet! 

That should be punishable with a discrete electric charge.  icon_razz

Why wouldn't the rape of a post-pubescent person be punishable by instant death?

A post-pubescent person isn't entirely defenseless... as a child is.

The whole instant death thing is a non-starter for me, the foundation of our system of law is trial before a jury of your peers.  instant death means DNA tests or proof could be rigged and boom you are dead.

How can DNA test be rigged? DNA evidence can not be faked.

You look at this case as open and shut and then extrapolate it to all such cases which is rather dangerous in my view.

what if the woman encouraged him to do it?  or the case of the sister who sold her 7 year old sister for sex?  Should she and all the men who had sex with the 7 year old instantly die in your view?

Why is it dangerous to dispence appropriate justice according to the crime? You would rather these people lived on commit evil again on another day. Why shouldn't you be put on trial for being so permissive?

As for that other case, I'm sure a lawyer will say 'Well, mitigating circumstances.. and difference sentences to everyone according to their level of participation'.

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:16:12 PM »

How could DNA evidence be faked?  How can false evidence be planted or switched?  You are assuming an unimpeachable and breakable chain of evidence flow and custody.  Denying someone accused of a crime a trial and a lawyer means you think that the police/labs etc will not make mistakes or will not be complicit in either framing someone to get someone else off or taking down someone they want to take down.  I don't think I share that confidence

You can point to this one, apparently, open a shut case though you are only going off of a news story as far as i can tell.  You want quick punishment, punishment that cannot be undone.  While it may satisfy your rage in the moment I don't think it serves the law or justice in the long run.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on April 14, 2010, 07:16:12 PM

How could DNA evidence be faked?  How can false evidence be planted or switched?  You are assuming an unimpeachable and breakable chain of evidence flow and custody.  Denying someone accused of a crime a trial and a lawyer means you think that the police/labs etc will not make mistakes or will not be complicit in either framing someone to get someone else off or taking down someone they want to take down.  I don't think I share that confidence

Good point. I give you that. No justice system is perfect.

You can point to this one, apparently, open a shut case though you are only going off of a news story as far as i can tell.  You want quick punishment, punishment that cannot be undone.  While it may satisfy your rage in the moment I don't think it serves the law or justice in the long run.

You're Lawful Good. I'm Chaotic Good.  icon_razz

Frankly, I think the best way to institute the death penalty for these types is to lock them in a room for a week strapped to a machine that has a gun pointed at their head and an algorithm that fires such gun at any random time. Yes, like something out of 'Saw'. But he deserves it.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 08:30:53 PM »

He may indeed deserve it but we all deserve a trial and a lawyer because once we start defining groups who don't deserve that someone will at sometime start to include other groups who deserve instant justice.  Which makes me sound uncomfortably like every special interest trying to explain why they oppose any changes to whatever it is they don't want changed.....except that this is one of the fundamental principles of our system of laws.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 09:00:53 PM »

I won't defend the perp, but I'll defend the system.  There's a big difference.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 14, 2010, 09:00:53 PM

I agree. I see that's what you and Jaddison are doing. I will say that, yes, we need the system. I just wish it wasn't so flawed.. that it didn't have so many cracks. I also feel that some forms of Justice should be final.

I gotta admit.. this story has really made me very angry today.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 14, 2010, 05:25:39 PM

Due to our law system current lack of actually dispensing Justice, this man would likely get serve a reduced sentence after which he would have an opportunity to stike again. Our law system has a shitty, short-term memory. Thus, I argue this man shouldn't be allowed to live if found guilty of this heinous crime.

The major flaw in your argument is that you're describing situations that haven't happened. Unless there's major information missing here, this guy did this once. Ok, I agree that once is way too much when it comes to crimes like this, but killing him won't stop anyone else from doing the same thing (there's no logic involved when you do something this criminally insane), and I haven't heard of any cases where the criminal has repeated this kind of crime after serving his sentence. From what I've read, therapy is actually quite effective at "fixing" people like this, making it possible for them to return as productive and safe members of society after their sentence.

So in short, your "solution" of killing the criminal solves nothing. It only serves to satisfy your bloodlust, and that is not a noble goal nor the goal of any civilized justice system.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 09:43:28 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 14, 2010, 09:19:55 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on April 14, 2010, 09:00:53 PM

I agree. I see that's what you and Jaddison are doing. I will say that, yes, we need the system. I just wish it wasn't so flawed.. that it didn't have so many cracks. I also feel that some forms of Justice should be final.

I gotta admit.. this story has really made me very angry today.

Oh, it's a horrible story and you probably should feel angry about it.  Personally, if it were my kid, the guy would never make it to trial.  I'd probably exterminate him and his entire bloodline.  But that's vigilante revenge and that's not how the justice system works.  You just have to be able to distinguish between the two.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 09:47:57 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 14, 2010, 09:43:28 PM

Personally, if it were my kid, the guy would never make it to trial.  I'd probably exterminate him and his entire bloodline. 

If half of the people on forums were even half as tough as they think they are, they could probably take over the world. slywink
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »

I know a lot of people say if it were their kid he would never make it to court but do you all really mean this?

It just seems to me that if you or did just this sort of vigilante thing that jail time is very likely including loss of job/income etc.  Isn't the responsibility to your family that is still alive more important than  exacting revenge when this will not make your loved one return from the grave.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 10:17:41 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 14, 2010, 09:37:59 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 14, 2010, 05:25:39 PM

The major flaw in your argument is that you're describing situations that haven't happened. Unless there's major information missing here, this guy did this once. Ok, I agree that once is way too much when it comes to crimes like this, but killing him won't stop anyone else from doing the same thing (there's no logic involved when you do something this criminally insane), and I haven't heard of any cases where the criminal has repeated this kind of crime after serving his sentence. From what I've read, therapy is actually quite effective at "fixing" people like this, making it possible for them to return as productive and safe members of society after their sentence.

So in short, your "solution" of killing the criminal solves nothing. It only serves to satisfy your bloodlust, and that is not a noble goal nor the goal of any civilized justice system.

I must concede that your argument is sound and makes sense. If we give in to our bloodlust in each and everyone of this horrendous situations, civilized society would crumble pretty quick.

This wasn't even my child.. and I got very angry reading this news post earlier today. I can't even imagine what I would do if this was my child. But, I can see that the repercusions of vigilante justice is that it's justice enacted out of anger and passion (both fleeting emotions)... and vigilante justice is also blind and not considerative of the systematic judicial process Jaddison defended in his posts. So.. I concede my argument of 'Instant Death'.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 12:12:58 AM »

Really for you all that said you would kill this guy yourself...are you serious?  If something happened to a loved one and you did this aren't you screwing your family over for vengeance?   You are likely to be a felon, do some time and I am thinking at least a year or more and might just be sued by the family of the person you killed.  So are you really willing to sacrifice your freedom, the financial welfare of your family for the satisfaction of killing a person who harmed a loved one?
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 12:18:15 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 14, 2010, 09:47:57 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on April 14, 2010, 09:43:28 PM

Personally, if it were my kid, the guy would never make it to trial.  I'd probably exterminate him and his entire bloodline. 

If half of the people on forums were even half as tough as they think they are, they could probably take over the world. slywink

And some are far more dangerous than they let on.  smile

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 12:20:13 AM »

Quote from: Jaddison on April 15, 2010, 12:12:58 AM

Really for you all that said you would kill this guy yourself...are you serious?  If something happened to a loved one and you did this aren't you screwing your family over for vengeance?   You are likely to be a felon, do some time and I am thinking at least a year or more and might just be sued by the family of the person you killed.  So are you really willing to sacrifice your freedom, the financial welfare of your family for the satisfaction of killing a person who harmed a loved one?

Beyond a doubt.  I'd take my chances with a jury. 

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 01:15:06 AM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 15, 2010, 12:20:13 AM

And if the jury didnt convict you of murder they would be completely wrong and out of line, and put us on a path that would destroy our justice system.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 01:29:11 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on April 15, 2010, 01:15:06 AM

And if the jury didnt convict you of murder they would be completely wrong and out of line, and put us on a path that would destroy our justice system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insanity_defense

It wouldn't come to that, though.  There are a few ways of making things look like accidents.

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 01:34:27 AM »

Either way you get locked up.  Either way it is likely you would be sued.  I am amazed that you would  "take your chances" when your surviving family members would clearly need both your love and support.....which you are willing to throw away for something so fleeting as vengeance.  then they not only have lost a loved one or have had a loved one severely injured but they also stand a very good chance of losing you.

The more I write this out the more it becomes clear to me that the whole vengeance thing is mostly irresponsible and selfish just in terms of cost to a family that is already hurting badly.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 02:01:54 AM »

Quote from: Jaddison on April 15, 2010, 01:34:27 AM

Either way you get locked up.  Either way it is likely you would be sued.  I am amazed that you would  "take your chances" when your surviving family members would clearly need both your love and support.....which you are willing to throw away for something so fleeting as vengeance.  then they not only have lost a loved one or have had a loved one severely injured but they also stand a very good chance of losing you.

The more I write this out the more it becomes clear to me that the whole vengeance thing is mostly irresponsible and selfish just in terms of cost to a family that is already hurting badly.

It all depends on your skill set, Jaddison.  If you don't know what you're doing and go off half-cocked, you're probably right.  If you do know what you're doing, then you can take care of things yourself with little risk of being caught.  You would be a person of interest, but that's much different than proof in a court of law.  It ain't stuff you can learn on the internet though.  Well, at least not most of it.   icon_lol

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 02:20:24 AM »

one little hitch in your plan there slick........the way you write that it would now be pre-meditated and not a crime of passion thus your "take a chance on a jury" lacks credibility as a true rational approach.  So should you not be as slick as yo think you are you are going away for a long long time.  Risk vs reward and you actually make it even a more selfish act by risking that much just for vengeance.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 06:39:04 AM »

horrible crime, as I'm sure everyone agrees... the trick here then is to dispense justice and towards whome we will do it.

There's some heavy suggestions that the guy is insane, and as someone mentioned earlier, if he is criminally insane, there's a good chance he can be cured. That means we're faced with a challenge, that I'm unsure about how the US court system deals with. Do you exact vengeance/justice on behalf of the family/humanity and imprison the man forever, or do you try to do the humane thing, and cure him?

If I had no dealings with the guy, I'd say he should go away forever, but if I knew him, I'd probably would love the chance he could get by being cured. Hell, there's insanity in my family, something that could possibly strike me at any time. Would I like the chance to be cured if I did something stupid while chemically unbalanced? Hell yeah, although I dont think I could live with myself if it was something this henious, but thats another discussion.

Anyways, I'm just saying, while I dont defend him as such, I think there's more to it than "Burn the witch".

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 02:08:51 AM »

this might be the first thing I've ever read that made me physically ill frown
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on April 15, 2010, 01:29:11 AM

Quote from: brettmcd on April 15, 2010, 01:15:06 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insanity_defense

I'm not a criminal defense attorney, or involved in criminal law at all, but I've heard that in reality, the insanity defense is very rarely relied upon, because it has little chance of succeeding.  It's something you see on Law and Order, but not in real trials.
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 04:58:10 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 14, 2010, 06:53:40 PM

That is a myth.  DNA evidence can be faked

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 05:06:41 PM »

Quote from: Enough on May 05, 2010, 04:58:10 PM

Yeah, clearly you don't watch SVU. Olivia almost got life in the slammer because of this!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on May 05, 2010, 05:06:41 PM

Quote from: Enough on May 05, 2010, 04:58:10 PM

Yeah, clearly you don't watch SVU. Olivia almost got life in the slammer because of this!

Woah! (/keanureeves)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »

Maryland reinstituted the death penalty in 1978, though last year they restricted its use a bit:
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/maryland-legislature-passes-bill-restricting-use-death-penalty

It sounds like the horrific case cited has the necessary biological and DNA evidence to meet the stricter standards.

Since 1994, Maryland's executions have been by lethal injection:
http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicinfo/capitalpunishment/historical.shtml

Their last execution was in 2005:
http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicinfo/capitalpunishment/demographics_exbyyear1923.shtml

Presumably the monster will get a public defender assigned to him. While I can't fathom any excuse whatsoever, conceivably the defense will argue an insanity plea, or maybe they'll try to poke holes in how the police gathered evidence. We can all remember celebrity-type trials where some scoundrel got away cause investigators forgot warrant procedure or contaminated evidence. Hopefully they didn't in this case.

In most states, inmates given the death penalty end up on death row for years. So most of the time, one's not going to get Death Wish-style instant justice, no matter how heinous and unforgivable the crime.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 03:48:23 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 07, 2010, 02:42:00 PM

In most states, inmates given the death penalty end up on death row for years. So most of the time, one's not going to get Death Wish-style instant justice, no matter how heinous and unforgivable the crime.

Which just makes the death penalty even more pointless.
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2010, 05:42:44 AM »

I am against capital punishment for a number of reasons.  Most of which I have misplaced after reading that story.

I will say that in a place where we couldn't guarantee that guy would never see the light of day again, at that point you are choosing between he and his unknown future victims, a contest which he loses instantly.  I have no problems with killing in active defense against this kind of depraved barbarity.  

We can, however, seal this filth away from all human contact for the rest of his existence on this planet.  Killing him might be the easy way out.  If in some alternate universe he is later found to be innocent, we can always fish him out.  If he is put to death, that option is no longer available to us.  Although mistakes are perhaps lessening as DNA both includes and excludes people more readily and reliably than other forms of evidence, I don't think that power should be vested in the state when it isn't required.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 05:45:41 AM by Rhinohelix » Logged

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2010, 11:31:42 PM »

Capital punishment is state sanctioned murder and I have personal issues with that.  In this case I can understand the immediate eye for and eye reaction but I still think the legal system has to play out.  While the person who committed this crime is surely not civilized, we cant supersede the rules of society.  Not even in this case.  Hopefully the system works and this person receives the punishment he is due.  Oh and regarding the insanity plea,  that is mostly a literary gimmick and not very useful in the real world.  Most people understand that crimes of this nature are not perpetrated by individuals that are "sane" by societies standards.  Hell most of us can even concieve of committing such an act.  The insanity plea is not used because an act is not sane, its used when the person is considered to " lack the mental capacity to realize they have committed a crime".  Reading further on the insanity plea I found that less than 1% of defendants plea insanity and that 1% fails 75% of the time.  Anyways a link to a pretty good article on the insanity plea you might find interesting  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/aron/qa227.htm

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: