http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 10:14:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: China's Military Says Pacific Rim Is American Propaganda  (Read 794 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »

sadly, yes, seriously.

Pacific Rim is doing very well in China, despite some tiny subtitle problems, proving again that the Chinese love giant robots. However, even with all the popularity, the Chinese military isn't very happy, claiming that the movie is nothing more than propaganda to spread "American values and ideas".

Last Friday, an article appeared in the Chinese military's newspaper PLA Daily bashing Guillermo Del Toro's epic monster versus robot movie. In the article, which actually should be called an opinion or editorial, the writer makes claims that the movie is nothing more than a vehicle for America's propaganda machine.1

The PLA Daily itself is the official newspaper/media outlet of the People's Liberation Army, serving the same function as say the People's Daily, which is the mouthpiece of the Chinese government.

The article, written by Zhang Xieli, was picked up and republished by pretty much every Chinese State media outlet including Xinhua, People's Daily, and the Global Times. In Zhang's article, Zhang claims that the movie and pretty much every movie out of Hollywood is a Western plot against China.

However, reading Zhang's article, it almost feels like the PLA didn't even watch Pacific Rim, nor did they bother to look into the backstory. At one point Zhang tries to put the bulk of the movie's plot onto the US, effectively saying the Jaeger program, the Wall and the final assault were all orchestrated by the Americans to "save the world by playing the part of world police." Anyone who's watched the movie knows that this is not true.

http://kotaku.com/chinas-military-says-pacific-rim-is-american-propagand-1196612758

can I get a  saywhat?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:13:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 26, 2013, 11:12:11 AM

sadly, yes, seriously.

Pacific Rim is doing very well in China, despite some tiny subtitle problems, proving again that the Chinese love giant robots. However, even with all the popularity, the Chinese military isn't very happy, claiming that the movie is nothing more than propaganda to spread "American values and ideas".

Last Friday, an article appeared in the Chinese military's newspaper PLA Daily bashing Guillermo Del Toro's epic monster versus robot movie. In the article, which actually should be called an opinion or editorial, the writer makes claims that the movie is nothing more than a vehicle for America's propaganda machine.1

The PLA Daily itself is the official newspaper/media outlet of the People's Liberation Army, serving the same function as say the People's Daily, which is the mouthpiece of the Chinese government.

The article, written by Zhang Xieli, was picked up and republished by pretty much every Chinese State media outlet including Xinhua, People's Daily, and the Global Times. In Zhang's article, Zhang claims that the movie and pretty much every movie out of Hollywood is a Western plot against China.

However, reading Zhang's article, it almost feels like the PLA didn't even watch Pacific Rim, nor did they bother to look into the backstory. At one point Zhang tries to put the bulk of the movie's plot onto the US, effectively saying the Jaeger program, the Wall and the final assault were all orchestrated by the Americans to "save the world by playing the part of world police." Anyone who's watched the movie knows that this is not true.

http://kotaku.com/chinas-military-says-pacific-rim-is-american-propagand-1196612758

can I get a  saywhat?

I'll give you a  saywhat and raise you a  Head meets wall

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:31:10 PM »

If we have ANYTHING like that in development or even close to being ready, I'll vote Obama in for a 3rd term.
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »

Yeah, that's someone who didn't watch the film.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:10:06 AM »

I feel that way when I read reviews sometimes.  I feel like the editor read the fact sheet or the back of the box and assumed around it. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 06:35:41 PM »

Reading through the rest of their stuff, I do have to agree with their point that Toy Story 1 and March of the Penguins were simply recruiting tools for white supremacy groups in the United States....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:53:45 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 27, 2013, 06:35:41 PM

Reading through the rest of their stuff, I do have to agree with their point that Toy Story 1 and March of the Penguins were simply recruiting tools for white supremacy groups in the United States....

Duh. Common knowledge. Wait, I thought it was for black supremacy groups. Penguins are nearly half black!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: