http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 05:31:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chick-fi-a Today  (Read 3116 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:36:10 PM »

Drive thru line wraps around the building and goes deep into the target parking lot.

People line goes out the door and wraps around the building.

😃

Wake up.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:06:35 PM »

A lot of misguided, hateful people where you're at.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »

Haha Leo.  Must make you squirm.  It is Nationwide brother and I couldn't be happier about it.

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

Wake up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »

Sure I'll catch hell here for my last post.   I just can't even believe this whole thing even became an issue.  It makes me nauseous.

Wake up.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 01, 2012, 06:42:12 PM

It is Nationwide brother and I couldn't be happier about it.

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 01, 2012, 06:49:07 PM

I just can't even believe this whole thing even became an issue.  It makes me nauseous.

icon_confused

-Autistic Angel
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »

It makes me nauseous.

Are you sure that's not just the Chick-fil-a?

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 01, 2012, 07:01:40 PM

It makes me nauseous.

Chick-fil-a is delicious. Their leaders' point-of-view and charitable contributions are appalling. I'll have to find my fill of deliciousness elsewhere.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on August 01, 2012, 07:17:08 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 01, 2012, 07:01:40 PM

It makes me nauseous.

Chick-fil-a is delicious. Their leaders' point-of-view and charitable contributions are appalling. I'll have to find my fill of deliciousness elsewhere.

+1000

I'll just do what I did with Dominoes back in the 90s when their owner was funding anti-choice groups - no one from my household will eat there for any reason whatsoever. 

If others want to support bigoted, narrow-minded views, then that's their prerogative.  It's also my prerogative to call them narrow-minded bigots. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 08:03:22 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on August 01, 2012, 07:58:37 PM

If others want to support bigoted, narrow-minded views, then that's their prerogative.  It's also my prerogative to call them narrow-minded bigots. 

This.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »

As is your right as an American.  No argument there.

But the crap pulled by the Chicago government etc. has no place in America.

That is what makes me sick.

Wake up.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:15:16 PM »

I keep feeling like there's something about this whole story I'm missing.  Besides Eco-Logic's pleasant nausea, I mean.

Wealthy right-wing guy says something spiteful and mean about minority group.  Conservatives throw money at him.  How is this Chick-fil-a guy any different from Michele Bachmann, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Newt Gingrich, Allen West....

Seriously, isn't this a semi-daily occurrence at this point?  Why is this generating more buzz than when elected officials and presidential candidates do it?

-Autistic Angel
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on August 01, 2012, 08:15:16 PM

Seriously, isn't this a semi-daily occurrence at this point?  Why is this generating more buzz than when elected officials and presidential candidates do it?

-Autistic Angel

Because it's a corporation, and corporations are people too.  icon_wink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 08:29:38 PM »

My dad keeps wanting me to run to pick him and my mother up some stuff from there today.  I don't want to support them.  Doesn't help that this morning my dad told me that if I was gay he wouldn't love me.  Now says he has nothing against gays, just gay marriage.  Seems everyone is double talk on these issues.

I also think the Kiss Mor Chiks campaign is wrong on the other side of the camp though.

You have a bad spelling in the topic title btw, you know you can use the letter 'L' right?  It doesn't ALWAYS mean lesbian  ninja
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »

The owner said nothing bigoted, but rather that he supported a biblical definition of marriage.

Gay hatemongers twist his words and lie like they often do (see NC marriage ammendment)  and cause a firestorm.

Liberal politicians citing their amazing tolerance are completely intolerant about a company with different views and that has no history of discriminating against anyone.  Irony is lost on them. So is the 1st ammendment.  Yay facism!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 09:01:58 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 01, 2012, 08:42:59 PM

...company with different views and that has no history of discriminating against anyone...

Not really though.  http://www.glaad.org/blog/chick-fil-sued-gender-discrimination
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »

Why is this generating more buzz than when elected officials and presidential candidates do it?

Because the Mayor of Boston threatened to prevent them from opening a shop on the Freedom Trail due to their owner's political activism. When confronted about this abuse of power, hizzoner instead sent their owner a personal letter expressing his disapproval (but not making any threats). Here in the Boston area it's an interesting case of dueling free-speech rights. MA was the first state to legalize same-sex marriage and that right is widely popular here.

New England has only two Chick-fil-As in MA and one in NH, so they're not much of a presence here.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 09:10:09 PM »

Exactly ATB smile

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

Wake up.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 11:28:33 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 01, 2012, 09:01:58 PM

...company with different views and that has no history of discriminating against anyone...

Not really though.  http://www.glaad.org/blog/chick-fil-sued-gender-discrimination

You're right. Bringing suit = guilt. Also, consider your source. Shoddy reporting that clearly shows bias. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 11:40:28 PM »

The owner said nothing bigoted, but rather that he supported a biblical definition of marriage.

Link

Quote from: Yahoo! News
I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Dan Cathy, the company's president and chief operating officer, said in a recent radio interview. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

As an expert like Mr. Cathy is surely aware, marriage has remained a legal contract, defined and enforced by the authority of the government, since several hundred years before the first pilgrim shouted, "Land ahoy!"  Governments have ceded their control to leaders of a dominant religion at times, then taken it back at will, throughout human history.  Marriage has been redefined many times over the past couple centuries, adjusting to fit changing societal norms about age, race, annulment, divorce, and especially property rights, and not one of these changes were implemented by the United States government in response to decrees from the pope or recommendations from a burning bush.

Therefore, Cathy either believes that God really, really hates gay people, way more than He hated marrying children, slaves, different ethnicities, or at-will divorce; or Cathy wants to pretend he thinks that because he just hates gay people himself.

Take your pick.  It's still bigoted.

Gay hatemongers twist his words and lie like they often do (see NC marriage ammendment)  and cause a firestorm.

The only "lie" I've seen in this thread so far is your claim that his comments began and ended with support for biblical marriage.  That's really more wrong than dishonest, though.

Who are the "gay hatemongers" who are twisting Cathy's broad condemnation of equal marriage rights as "prideful" and "arrogant"?  How are they misrepresenting the ways in which his logic is eerily similar to ways in which the Bible was used to defend slavery, segregation, and miscegenation laws?

Quote from: Ironrod on August 01, 2012, 09:03:56 PM

Why is this generating more buzz than when elected officials and presidential candidates do it?

Because the Mayor of Boston threatened to prevent them from opening a shop on the Freedom Trail due to their owner's political activism. When confronted about this abuse of power, hizzoner instead sent their owner a personal letter expressing his disapproval (but not making any threats). Here in the Boston area it's an interesting case of dueling free-speech rights. MA was the first state to legalize same-sex marriage and that right is widely popular here.

This is new information to me, so I looked up a couple articles.  I tend to agree: unless Chick-fil-a stores are violating standing equal rights laws -- which isn't indicated so far -- I'm not a fan of manipulating local statutes to target people who say disagreeable things. 

-Autistic Angel
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 01:06:54 AM »

I just don't get why people want to eat there anyways.  The food isn't all that great to begin with.  I've been there twice and each time it was disappointing.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 02:54:25 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on August 01, 2012, 11:40:28 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on August 01, 2012, 09:03:56 PM

This is new information to me, so I looked up a couple articles.  I tend to agree: unless Chick-fil-a stores are violating standing equal rights laws -- which isn't indicated so far -- I'm not a fan of manipulating local statutes to target people who say disagreeable things.  

-Autistic Angel

That specific angle is what makes it newsworthy, at least locally. I'm a little bemused that both sides have generalized it into a national culture-war crusade.

Mayor Menino was out of line when he threatened to use the city's licensing authority to block Chick-fil-A based on their politics, and he copped to that quickly when he was challenged. He was adamant, though, that using "the bully pulpit" to make them unwelcome is his right as a private citizen -- nay, even his duty as mayor. While he certainly does have as much right as me or you to express his opinions, whether he should be throwing that weight around is a gray area.

I especially enjoyed watching him squirm when a reporter asked him if he had expressed similar reservations about such organizations as the Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church, both of which do openly discriminate against gays. He swatted that question down hard.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 03:30:20 AM »

Quote from: naednek on August 02, 2012, 01:06:54 AM

I just don't get why people want to eat there anyways.  The food isn't all that great to begin with.  I've been there twice and each time it was disappointing.

You're insane.  Their food is delicious.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 03:55:26 AM »

I think it's pretty good food, especially for fast food.

Wake up.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 04:44:49 AM »

It's not like Chick-fil-A is refusing service to anyone. Who cares what their CEO's political position is? It's a free country why shouldn't he be allowed to speak his mind as anyone else out there?

A boycott if anything would hurt the front line employees than anyone else anyway.

It's like someone who's against gay marriage saying they will boycott all Brad Pitt movies from now on because of his support for it whether he has good movies or not. Pretty sad that people actually take this stuff so seriously.

I'm all for gay marriage, and am going to continue enjoying chick-fil-a simply because I could care less what their CEO's personal opinions are.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 04:45:32 AM »

Quote from: naednek on August 02, 2012, 01:06:54 AM

had it once and never felt the need to go back.  didn't care for the flavoring in the chicken breading.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 04:50:50 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 02, 2012, 03:55:26 AM

I think it's pretty good food, especially for fast food.

And this. I'd eat there more often there wasn't always a 20 minute wait. (Mine is always packed.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 04:51:27 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 02, 2012, 02:54:25 AM

I especially enjoyed watching him squirm when a reporter asked him if he had expressed similar reservations about such organizations as the Boy Scouts and the Catholic Church, both of which do openly discriminate against gays. He swatted that question down hard.

heh, guess he doesn't want to anger too many people at once.

Because I can,
VictorGrunn
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 04:54:57 AM »

Honestly, the politics aside, when there was a Chik-fil-a in my area I loved the stuff. I think it's really simple, something like "they use peanut oil instead of something else to fry the chicken", but it was delicious. Same with the waffle fries.

Keep in mind my regular diet alternates between sea urchin guts, mycoprotein, salmon jerky and straight swigs of rumpleminze, but I'll attest to the whole "Chik-fil-a is pretty damn good taste-wise" thing.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 05:02:55 AM »

Quote from: VictorGrunn on August 02, 2012, 04:54:57 AM

Honestly, the politics aside, when there was a Chik-fil-a in my area I loved the stuff. I think it's really simple, something like "they use peanut oil instead of something else to fry the chicken", but it was delicious. Same with the waffle fries.

Keep in mind my regular diet alternates between sea urchin guts, mycoprotein, salmon jerky and straight swigs of rumpleminze, but I'll attest to the whole "Chik-fil-a is pretty damn good taste-wise" thing.

Right regardless of the CEO's personal opinions they still have great food.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 05:03:05 AM »

Quote from: VictorGrunn on August 02, 2012, 04:54:57 AM

Keep in mind my regular diet alternates between sea urchin guts, mycoprotein, salmon jerky and straight swigs of rumpleminze

sounds like you should toss all of those in a blender and market it biggrin

Because I can,
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »

This controversey is not about the stupid, bigoted things Dan Cathy said. It's about the fact that Chick-fil-A sponsors anti-gay hate groups. And it's not just about marriage. Chick-fil-A's sponsored hate groups lobby on these issues:

1) To prevent the passage of laws that would make it illegal to discriminate in terms of employment based on sexual orientation;

2) To prevent the passage of laws that would make it illegal for rental properties to discriminate based on sexual orientation;

3) To pass laws outlawing the creation of Gay Straight Student Alliances at high schools and public universities;

4) To prevent the passage of any law or resolution opposed to Uganda's "Kill the Gays" legislation;

5) To pass laws outlawing adoption or foster parentings by LGBT Americans;

6) To pass laws that give automatic preference in child custody cases to the straight parent in divorces where one parent is gay;

7) and, yes, to prevent any legal recognition or protection of gay couples, including rights to hospital visitation, joint child custody, communal property inheritance and so on.

That's what this is about. That's what the people rallying to eat chicken sandwiches are "standing up" for. Yet I suppose for calling Chick-fil-A out for giving money to FOTF, AFA, NOM and other hateful groups that support parts of the above, I'm a "hatemonger."

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »

Geez, you'd think that these uppity gays think that they should be equals or something.

[/sarcasm]

ATB's connection to biblical reasoning is well established, however I don't consider him an unreasonable person (beyond the faith thing - indoctrination leads to a mental block, as it were). ATB, what do you think about Fireballs' response? Do you still see Cathy's comments as being pivotal, or do you recognize the actions of the organization supporting gay discrimination?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on August 02, 2012, 04:44:49 AM

It's not like Chick-fil-A is refusing service to anyone. Who cares what their CEO's political position is? It's a free country why shouldn't he be allowed to speak his mind as anyone else out there?

I completely agree that he's allowed to speak his mind.  He's also allowed to spend his profits to finance anti-civil rights groups, which he does, so I'm allowed to decide that he'll need to earn those profits from people other than me.

That's why people care.

Quote from: corruptrelic on August 02, 2012, 04:44:49 AM

A boycott if anything would hurt the front line employees than anyone else anyway.

You could apply exactly the same logic to the 1956 bus boycotts: that choosing to take cabs or walk would hurt the bus drivers and unrelated local businesses first.  In fact, they did: it was the justification for new fines enacted by the Montgomery city council that punished black taxi drivers who voluntarily lowered their rates for boycott participants, and for insurance companies that revoked the policies of private citizens that supported boycotters with their personal vehicles.  The 1963 Birmingham campaign prompted identical complaints from white segregationists who roiled up a violent backlash by claiming the boycotts represented race warfare against the working class of the city.

No one is boycotting Chik-fil-a's decision to have front line employees.  If the president of the company were ever to decide his intolerance was more valuable than their jobs, that would be entirely his prerogative.

-Autistic Angel
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2012, 06:02:16 PM »

Liberal politicians citing their amazing tolerance are completely intolerant about a company with different views and that has no history of discriminating against anyone.  Irony is lost on them. So is the 1st ammendment.  Yay facism!

Nice reversal, calling out pro-equality people for their intolerance of the intolerant anti-equality people. Makes SOOO much sense.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »

"world record day"?

Wow.

Wake up.
VictorGrunn
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on August 02, 2012, 06:02:16 PM

Nice reversal, calling out pro-equality people for their intolerance of the intolerant anti-equality people. Makes SOOO much sense.

Well, the "pro-equality people" are partly composed of public officials trying to bar businesses from their areas on the grounds that they disagree with the COO on a political/social subject.

I think that does damage to the claim that this is being done by "pro-equality people" who are "tolerant". I also recognize that a good number of people, some even in this thread, support gay marriage but think those moves were pretty despicable.

I also think it sucks the moral high ground out of the pro-gay-marriage side to endorse or turn a blind eye to that. See the list posted in this thread about the supposed list of things the groups Cathy funds have pushed. Well, public officials barring businesses from entire areas on the grounds of the political or religious beliefs of their managers changes a share of that list from "unfair persecution of people" to "fair play".

Actually, let's run with that a little, just to find out something.

Let's say someone is opposed to gay marriage. Their employer finds out. Should they be fired, even if this never came up on the job - say the employer found it during a facebook check.

Should they be allowed to adopt? Should it weigh against them if they're attempting to adopt?

Should anti-gay-marriage groups be allowed to form on a university or high school campus with the same rights (and access to funding) as their opponents?

Should someone be allowed not to rent to an anti-gay-marriage person owing to their beliefs?
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »

Quote from: VictorGrunn on August 02, 2012, 07:54:44 PM

Well, the "pro-equality people" are partly composed of public officials trying to bar businesses from their areas on the grounds that they disagree with the COO on a political/social subject.

I don't support government action against Chick-fil-A over this, but let's be fair: No one actually tried to bar Chick-fil-A. At most, a Chicago Alderman said he wouldn't support issuing a zoning variance, something that to me seems well within his rights -- declining to allow a company to opt out of a law isn't the same as using the law to persecute it. And again THIS ISN'T ABOUT CATHY'S STATEMENT. It's about the company's despicable donations.

See the list posted in this thread about the supposed list of things the groups Cathy funds have pushed.

"Supposed"?

VictorGrunn
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 08:10:27 PM »

I don't support government action against Chick-fil-A over this, but let's be fair: No one actually tried to bar Chick-fil-A. At most, a Chicago Alderman said he wouldn't support issuing a zoning variance, something that to me seems well within his rights -- declining to allow a company to opt out of a law isn't the same as using the law to persecute it.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/13988905-418/ald-moreno-trying-to-block-new-chick-fil-a-over-boss-stance-on-gay-marriage.html

So, wait. You think it's "well within the rights" of a public official to say, "I don't like your political stance. So you know what? I'm going to use my position to harm your business."? And let's say it is legally within his rights - do you think this is ethical?

Again, just to put a point on it: straight-up "I don't like your political views, so I - the mayor/alderman/city councilman/whichever - will use my power to bar your business." is A-OK by you? Or is it not?

"Supposed"?

I didn't dig through and verify the list, and I don't even know the list of groups donated to or how much. Yeah, for me, it's "supposed". That doesn't mean "untrue", it means "I haven't verified this, and I'm saying as much".
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »

Quote from: VictorGrunn on August 02, 2012, 08:10:27 PM

I don't support government action against Chick-fil-A over this, but let's be fair: No one actually tried to bar Chick-fil-A. At most, a Chicago Alderman said he wouldn't support issuing a zoning variance, something that to me seems well within his rights -- declining to allow a company to opt out of a law isn't the same as using the law to persecute it.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/13988905-418/ald-moreno-trying-to-block-new-chick-fil-a-over-boss-stance-on-gay-marriage.html

So, wait. You think it's "well within the rights" of a public official to say, "I don't like your political stance. So you know what? I'm going to use my position to harm your business."? And let's say it is legally within his rights - do you think this is ethical?

I would say that if someone applies for a *variance* -- that is, to have a particular law waived -- and if that variance is at the discretion of an elected official, that the elected official has a broad prerogative to approve or deny it. Under Chicago law, these things are not spelled out. An alderman can deny your variance because he doesn't like your haircut. Do I think he should? No. But it's not illegal, nor does it run afoul of ethics rules.

Again, just to put a point on it: straight-up "I don't like your political views, so I - the mayor/alderman/city councilman/whichever - will use my power to bar your business." is A-OK by you? Or is it not?

I will bet that hundreds of times each year, whether or not a variance is issued is directly related to whether or not the person requesting it supported the elected official in the last election. That's not fair, but then no one is entitled to a variance. I do not like it. But it's not illegal, and its not going to be.

VictorGrunn
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »

I would say that if someone applies for a *variance* -- that is, to have a particular law waived -- and if that variance is at the discretion of an elected official, that the elected official has a broad prerogative to approve or deny it. Under Chicago law, these things are not spelled out. An alderman can deny your variance because he doesn't like your haircut. Do I think he should? No. But it's not illegal, nor does it run afoul of ethics rules.

I didn't say it was illegal or that it "ran afoul of ethics rules". Joe Paterno adhered to the letter of the law, from what I hear - even if he did, I don't think what the man did could easily be called "ethical", much less moral or "ight.

I pointed out it was a case of public officials - not just one, but multiple, supposedly in multiple cities - stating outright words to the effect of, "We're going to try and harm your business as a result of your political stance." Say it's technically legal. Say that the ethics laws on the books allow it. It doesn't make it right, or moral, or ethical.

I will bet that hundreds of times each year, whether or not a variance is issued is directly related to whether or not the person requesting it supported the elected official in the last election. That's not fair, but then no one is entitled to a variance. I do not like it. But it's not illegal, and its not going to be.

Yeah, except hundreds of times each year (lowballed, no doubt), those elected officials aren't stupid enough to get up on a platform and say what they're doing and why they're doing it. In this case, they were, so we get to discuss the problems with how they think and use their power. We can even condemn them for perceived abuses of it. And in this case, it looks pretty rotten.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: