http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 03:40:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chic fil a and their overly religious behavior.  (Read 836 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2014, 03:50:25 AM »

The location by me is so freaking bizarre and they are getting to me. Everytime I say thanks, they say, "my pleasure". Like over and over and over again. I go through the drivethru one day and see a person outside taking orders. So I say oh the microphone or something must be broke, just making small talk. Her response was that they want to serve me better to make sure that I'm pleased. Overboard. I just want my sandwich ! There's always local church members in there for what I believe is hrs talking to the managers etc. Most of the time it's just comical, but sometimes it's way too much. When they ask what I'm doing on said day and I say just running errands or what have you, please don't further nag me for details! I want a sandwich, give me that sandwich! Rant over.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 04:13:47 AM »

Err, I'm guessing this is satire or something? Because I don't get the connection with good service and being overly religious.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:28:27 AM »

I wouldn't eat there for years because they seem to indirectly use their Christian ownership as a selling point. I got over that. I don't eat there much (at all now that I don't live near one), but I always found it nice going to a fast food place where the employees genuinely seemed nice and to care. I don't think I have ever had a bad Chic-fil-a experience, while I am not sure I can ever say I ordered Taco Bell and been glad I went there (bad CS, dirty restaurants, low quality food).

Still, I would rather they leave their politics out if it.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:21:07 AM »

Hypothetically, I wouldn't patronize an aggressively religious business, but I can't name any locally. I'm fine with leaving it hypothetical.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:03:56 AM »

In and Out sometimes has a order taker in the drive thru lane as well, I guess I should stop going there as well?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »

Yes. People being overly nice and trying to help customers to their fullest ability is just inexcusable.  Sounds like we have some Christianphobia going on here.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 21, 2014, 03:50:25 AM

The location by me is so freaking bizarre and they are getting to me. Everytime I say thanks, they say, "my pleasure". Like over and over and over again. I go through the drivethru one day and see a person outside taking orders. So I say oh the microphone or something must be broke, just making small talk. Her response was that they want to serve me better to make sure that I'm pleased. Overboard. I just want my sandwich ! There's always local church members in there for what I believe is hrs talking to the managers etc. Most of the time it's just comical, but sometimes it's way too much. When they ask what I'm doing on said day and I say just running errands or what have you, please don't further nag me for details! I want a sandwich, give me that sandwich! Rant over.

And this has anything to do with religion because...?   icon_confused

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »

Letting church members use the space for proselytizing customers sure seems like a religious topic.

As for the overly friendliness and getting the entry person moving down the line is strictly in the customer service realm. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 21, 2014, 02:24:20 PM

Letting church members use the space for proselytizing customers sure seems like a religious topic.

Didn't sound like that was happening though...he said the local church members spent time talking with the managers (not the customers).

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »

I might be misreading it, but the flow seemed to imply to me that it was the church members were asking what he was doing on said day.  I could be wrong, and it's the employees.  It's constructed in a manner to be unclear at best.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »

Yeah,  I really fucking hate it when people are nice to me.   Fuck their "have a nice day"  bullshit. I'm on to you fuckers.   That's why I give them the finger at the window.   Let's them know who's boss. Me.

/rantpussoff

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »

Okay fools I clearly am bad with explaining this. They are just plain old creepy. I don't need a side of "Jesus" with my sandwich. Period. Even my wife, who almost never complains, says he same thing . She stopped saying "thank you", because the conversation would go like this. "Thank you", "My pleasure, my pleasure, my pleasure, my pleasure". If you don't say thank you, the following doesn't happen in spades. She even filled out a comment card stating "enough with crazy amounts of MY PLEASURE!".

It just feels like Jesus meets twin peaks is the best way to describe it...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:04:57 PM by Harpua3 » Logged
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 04:18:38 PM »

He's saying they are obsequious to the point of creepy. I get it.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »

It must be a thing for that location/franchisee, as I don't get that at any of my local ones over the years.  

I'd get breakfast at the one by my place more often if it didn't involve going through a school zone twice before heading to work.  Their loss is Sonic's gain.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 21, 2014, 04:03:25 PM

Okay fools I clearly am bad with explaining this. They are just plain old creepy. I don't need a side of "Jesus" with my sandwich. Period. Even my wife, who almost never complains, says he same thing . She stopped saying "thank you", because the conversation would go like this. "Thank you", "My pleasure, my pleasure, my pleasure, my pleasure". If you don't say thank you, the following doesn't happen in spades. She even filled out a comment card stating "enough with crazy amounts of MY PLEASURE!".

It just feels like Jesus meets twin peaks is the best way to describe it...

I'll ask again, what does any of this have to do with religion?  "Over the top" customer service has always been a Chic-fil-a trademark, but I'm having trouble connecting that to religion in any significant way.  If their response was "MY PLEASURE, JESUS LOVES YOU", then I could see the complaint.  Otherwise, they're just being overly friendly.

Not saying it isn't creepy (it kinda is), but I don't think it has anything to do with religious beliefs.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 07:43:41 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 21, 2014, 03:50:25 AM

The location by me is so freaking bizarre and they are getting to me. Everytime I say thanks, they say, "my pleasure". Like over and over and over again. I go through the drivethru one day and see a person outside taking orders. So I say oh the microphone or something must be broke, just making small talk. Her response was that they want to serve me better to make sure that I'm pleased. Overboard. I just want my sandwich!

In this example, weren't you the one who prolonged the conversation by asking whether the microphone was broken? You could have just not said anything and gotten your sandwich sooner smile

There's always local church members in there for what I believe is hrs talking to the managers etc. Most of the time it's just comical, but sometimes it's way too much. When they ask what I'm doing on said day and I say just running errands or what have you, please don't further nag me for details! I want a sandwich, give me that sandwich! Rant over.

So if the church members were not in there would it not be overly religious?

This kind of reminds me of the time my wife and I and her sister and my brother-in-law took a trip to Hong Kong. We ate dinner at a nice restaurant and as we were leaving the employee at the door smiled and said "Thank you for coming.". My brother in law remarked that she probably didn't mean it. I thought to myself, perhaps she didn't, but would you have liked it better if she said "'Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out" ?

Don't get me wrong, I hate chatty Kathy customer service but if someone says "thank you" and offers me polite service I wouldn't wish it were otherwise.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 07:49:53 PM »

I think Harpua3 is implying that their niceness is connected to religion because of statements like this "The company's official statement of corporate purpose says that the business exists 'To glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us. To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A'" Some documentary I saw a few years ago about Christianity in America (I forget the name) covered it a bit, and religion is very much part of their working environment. I always assumed they are so nice because of it, I just don't care, I would rather deal with someone being overly nice than the opposite when ordering fast food.

Excessive politeness always strikes me as it must be for some ulterior motive, so it's easy to make the religion connection, at least for me it is. (That probably says more about me than Chick-fil-a, I know.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:25:02 PM by Lee » Logged
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 08:15:58 PM »

They cook all their chicken in a vegetable oil that's been blessed by a priest.  I know this because every time I bite into one, it burns the roof of my mouth.  Some folks tell me it's because they're just hot...but I know better!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 21, 2014, 08:15:58 PM

They cook all their chicken in a vegetable oil that's been blessed by a priest.  I know this because every time I bite into one, it burns the roof of my mouth.  Some folks tell me it's because they're just hot...but I know better!

Lol!!!
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 05:08:51 AM »

I also fail to see how this has anything to do with religion.

But I do get the part about not liking it when people are creepily overly polite or enthusiastic. I walked into a McDonalds once and everyone behind the counter turned at once and yelled out "Welcome!" and "Hello!", etc. It really upset me because I felt like I was suddenly being thrust into the center of attention. I turned and walked out.

Never had that experience at a Chick Fil A, though. Admittedly, I don't go there very often.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 05:26:43 AM »

Quote from: Fireball on July 23, 2014, 05:08:51 AM

But I do get the part about not liking it when people are creepily overly polite or enthusiastic. I walked into a McDonalds once and everyone behind the counter turned at once and yelled out "Welcome!" and "Hello!", etc. It really upset me because I felt like I was suddenly being thrust into the center of attention. I turned and walked out.

Never had that experience at a Chick Fil A, though. Admittedly, I don't go there very often.

I might very well be a Debbie downer...but, due to the atmosphere set by the local religious presence, the over the TOP odd behavior shown by the employees, it's comes off super fucking creepy. The whole they hate gays things doesn't help either.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »

When I moved from Boston to Albuquerque, I had an initial culture shock adjustment period to the different level of public friendliness between strangers.  The level of inquisitiveness and smalltalk you get from, say, a grocery bagger in ABQ, is just alien weirdo bizarre in Boston culture.  What does this person want?!  Why are they so curious how I'm going to cook these steaks?  Should I hand over my wallet?!

So I guess if I imagine that there was a single fast food place in Boston that featured ABQ levels of aggressive smalltalk, I might be a little weirded out by that friendliness.  That's about as far as I can relate to ya, Harpua.  All in all, "you're making people be nicer to each other!" is hardly a damning criticism.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »

Having lived in Chicago for the past 15 years or so, any act of kindness by a server at a fast food restaurant is most welcome.  Hell, anything that doesn't end up with me being able to see them rubbing my burger against their naked ass while I'm sitting in the drive through would be a welcome change of pace.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 12:17:38 AM »

That reminds me, I remember when the sushi chefs at most sushi restaurants would call out "Irasshaimase!" every time a customer walked in. In fact, my wife and I giggled at the sushi restaurant scene in Monsters Inc. when the octopus chef would say that, because we knew the reference. But nowadays I don't hear that anymore when entering a sushi restaurant. And it makes me feel a bit sad.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 23, 2014, 06:54:48 PM

When I moved from Boston to Albuquerque, I had an initial culture shock adjustment period to the different level of public friendliness between strangers.  The level of inquisitiveness and smalltalk you get from, say, a grocery bagger in ABQ, is just alien weirdo bizarre in Boston culture.  What does this person want?!  Why are they so curious how I'm going to cook these steaks?  Should I hand over my wallet?!

So I guess if I imagine that there was a single fast food place in Boston that featured ABQ levels of aggressive smalltalk, I might be a little weirded out by that friendliness.  That's about as far as I can relate to ya, Harpua.  All in all, "you're making people be nicer to each other!" is hardly a damning criticism.

I wish it felt they were being nice, which probably is their goal,  not trying to work as gods minions and creep me out.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »

I'm always wary of this when I travel outside of New England, or even just to western Mass. Friendly strangers creep me out. Takes a few days to realize they aren't after your money or your soul.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on July 24, 2014, 07:27:36 PM

I'm always wary of this when I travel outside of New England, or even just to western Mass. Friendly strangers creep me out. Takes a few days to realize they aren't after your money or your soul.

ah, but they are..., they are

I hated Chic Fil-A forever since I love their food and they aren't open Sundays which was the day I was most likely to be near the only location we had at the time.  I'd finish playing games at the arcade, run across the hall of the mall and FUCKING SHIT IT'S CLOSED TODAY, STUPID RELIGION!

First world problems at the arcade
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 02:53:50 AM »

Quote from: raydude on July 24, 2014, 12:17:38 AM

That reminds me, I remember when the sushi chefs at most sushi restaurants would call out "Irasshaimase!" every time a customer walked in. In fact, my wife and I giggled at the sushi restaurant scene in Monsters Inc. when the octopus chef would say that, because we knew the reference. But nowadays I don't hear that anymore when entering a sushi restaurant. And it makes me feel a bit sad.

See, that wouldn't bother me too much. 'Cause I'm not ashamed to walk into a sushi place. Eating at McDonalds is something I do only when I have few other options, and I'm not proud of it. Please don't call attention to my lapse in taste, nice people behind the counter!

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »

I have this aggressive customer service problem with my bank. Every time I walk in there are 3 tellers and a greeter trying to talk to me. Then they start asking me about my day, am I working today or have the day off, what's for lunch, and what are my plans for the weekend.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »

Chick-fil-a has never bothered me.  Jimmy Johns, on the other hand, I can hardly stand walking into.  Having 15 people screaming "HELLO!!!" when you walk in drives me nuts.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 25, 2014, 03:29:24 PM

I have this aggressive customer service problem with my bank. Every time I walk in there are 3 tellers and a greeter trying to talk to me. Then they start asking me about my day, am I working today or have the day off, what's for lunch, and what are my plans for the weekend.

Isn't a bank usually young semi attractive women though?
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 25, 2014, 03:29:24 PM

Your soul, we claim it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 02:22:13 AM »

WELCOME TO MOOOOOOES

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile