http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 10:22:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bravery = openly critical of Islam  (Read 1398 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:57:57 PM »

This interview of Wafa Sultan, an American psychiatrist from Syria who now lives in Los Angeles, is from was Al Jazeera's "The Opposite Direction" shown February 21, 2006.

As much as I might be an outspoken atheist I would hesitate to put this kind of target on my back. I guess that's the point. Until enough people start standing up to religious intimidation these thugs and bullys will continue to rule the playground.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 11:04:24 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on June 08, 2008, 09:57:57 PM

This interview of Wafa Sultan, an American psychiatrist from Syria who now lives in Los Angeles, is from was Al Jazeera's "The Opposite Direction" shown February 21, 2006.

As much as I might be an outspoken atheist I would hesitate to put this kind of target on my back. I guess that's the point. Until enough people start standing up to religious intimidation these thugs and bullys will continue to rule the playground.

I hear ya. Another atheist here, and I realize that Islam is nothing to trifle with. I occasionally work with some Egyptians who are from around Cairo and they happen to be Christian. They were telling me how rough it is there for Christians trying to live amongst a mostly Islamic population. These people I work with told me that they left the country and came to the U.S. to live in peace. They told me stories about Christian businesses being set on fire, their cars torched as well, and street beatings were common. I'm not sure I can buy into the whole 'religion of peace' thing.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:32:57 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 08, 2008, 11:04:24 PM

I'm not sure I can buy into the whole 'religion of peace' thing.

Now you've done it.  That just earned you a big red bull's eye.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:41:52 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on June 09, 2008, 11:32:57 AM

Hey c'mon, it's not like a drew a cartoon of Mohammed or anything smile
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 02:33:55 PM »

I occasionally work with some Egyptians who are from around Cairo and they happen to be Christian. They were telling me how rough it is there for Christians trying to live amongst a mostly Islamic population. These people I work with told me that they left the country and came to the U.S. to live in peace. They told me stories about Christian businesses being set on fire, their cars torched as well, and street beatings were common.

It's like going to a Raiders home game and cheering for the other team. Not the healthiest of habits.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 09, 2008, 12:41:52 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on June 09, 2008, 11:32:57 AM

Hey c'mon, it's not like a drew a cartoon of Mohammed or anything smile

The iconoclasts won't know that until they behead you in your home.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 07:02:44 PM »

Religions seem to all go through their own 'dark ages'. No one expected the Spanish Inquisition. Judaism wasn't all matzoh balls and bagels in the early days. Hopefully in 1000 or so years, we'll be joking about Mohammed over falafels.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 07:45:12 PM »

Not only religions but societies in general.

It's all well and good to mock them for their malevolent backwardness, except in that even in this country people owned other people as slaves as recently as about 150 years ago.  That might seem like a long time ago but when you consider that span of time is almost half the time of this country's existence...

Even more recently than that it was against the law to sell alcoholic beverages in this country, we were so uptight.   Even more recently we had laws on who can sit where, who can drink from which fountain, who can marry who...oh wait, we still have those laws, hehe.  

Even now, as we speak(or type), we can spy on our own and make people we don't like 'disappear' with the best of them.   And we have no shortage of people who are willing to kill others to enforce those things.

So yeah, plenty of 'dark ages' to go around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: