http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 05:12:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apparently 4 months is the breaking point for Gov. Rick Perry...  (Read 4738 times)
Scuzz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2009, 04:28:01 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 04:12:57 PM

The double-standard's pretty amazing when you consider that, on February 13, 2003, millions of people worldwide protested the imminent war in Iraq.  Outside of the UN alone was, at the minimum, 100,000 people. 50,000 in Seattle.  200,000 in San Francisco.  And yet the protests were derided by the President:  “Democracy is a beautiful thing, and that people are allowed to express their opinion. I welcome people’s right to say what they believe. Secondly, evidently some of the world don’t view Saddam Hussein as a risk to peace… you know, size of protest, it’s like deciding, well, I’m going to decide policy based upon a focus group.”

What's the combined attendance of every tea party event yesterday? 100k?

Why the need to compare two seperate items? Why the need to compare the "tea parties" to anti-war rallies?

Secondly, the estimate of attendance at those events. Where did they come from? 200,000 in SF, maybe, 350,000 in Dallas, I am leary of that figure.

Also an anti-war rally is a much easier thing to understand, whereas I don't know if the tea party people all understood the purpose of yesterday.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on April 16, 2009, 04:28:01 PM

Why the need to compare two seperate items? Why the need to compare the "tea parties" to anti-war rallies?

Both were protests.  It's reasonable to compare the coverage and response of two separate protest events, as it tells us something about the corporate media's agenda.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 04:34:51 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 04:23:38 PM

Yeah, you'd be wrong though.  Given your particular proclivities, I can see why you'd fail to understand why the President's comparison of millions of Americans in the streets to governance by "focus groups" is insulting.
He's right. Should it matter if 200,000 San Franciscans walk around saying they don't like war? And considering I'm in the business of focus groups, I can tell you that with focus groups I can give you just as much information as 200,000 people in the streets can smile.

It's the ages old question in democracy - representation vs. leadership. Should the elected representatives, including the president, listen to the people or do what he knows is right?

According to polls, most Americans disagree with gay marriage. Should our legislators lead Americans towards it or should they listen to Americans and outlaw/not recognize/whatever it?
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2009, 04:36:41 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 04:31:53 PM

It's reasonable to compare the coverage and response of two separate protest events, as it tells us something about the corporate media's agenda.
Fox News is right wing.
MSNBC is left wing.
CNN is center-left wing.

What more do you need to know?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2009, 04:38:29 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 16, 2009, 04:36:41 PM

It's reasonable to compare the coverage and response of two separate protest events, as it tells us something about the corporate media's agenda.
Fox News is right wing.
MSNBC is left wing.
CNN is center-left wing.

Right, because 3 hours of Joe Scarborough each and every morning is "left wing."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2009, 04:39:22 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 04:38:29 PM

Fox News is right wing.
MSNBC is left wing.
CNN is center-left wing.

Right, because 3 hours of Joe Scarborough each and every morning is "left wing."

Out of how many total hours in the day?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 16, 2009, 04:39:22 PM

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 04:38:29 PM

Fox News is right wing.
MSNBC is left wing.
CNN is center-left wing.

How many hours of the day does Fox News give to a progressive host?

Also, the 350,000 figure for the immigration rally/march in Dallas was, if anything, a low-ball. The rally filled all of downtown Dallas. I lived in downtown, and it took me over an hour to get together with my friends who were only six blocks away. During the march, two of us left the march, went into a restaurant, ate lunch, and came back out and rejoined the march. It was immense.

I don't recall how big the anti-war protests in Dallas were. Most of the folks down here were pretty easily duped into thinking attacking Iraq was a good idea. It was frustrating to be one of the few sane people in the area during that time.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 04:46:26 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 16, 2009, 04:39:22 PM

Quote from: Brendan

Oh, I'm sorry - please account for each hour of the "liberal" Fox News shows.  I count 0 hours.  Meanwhile, MSNBC has two "liberal" hosts, Maddow and Olbermann, which total, I recall, 2 hours of each day.  Tucker Carlson and Pat Buchanan are still frequently featured.  Michael Savage was an MSNBC host.

Meanwhile, on topic, Rick Perry doubled-down yesterday:

"There's a lot of different scenarios," Perry said. "We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

Note that I'm fair and balanced, and provided a link to the aforementioned Fox News.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on April 16, 2009, 04:45:32 PM

Also, the 350,000 figure for the immigration rally/march in Dallas was, if anything, a low-ball. The rally filled all of downtown Dallas. I lived in downtown, and it took me over an hour to get together with my friends who were only six blocks away. During the march, two of us left the march, went into a restaurant, ate lunch, and came back out and rejoined the march. It was immense.

If the lie-beral media weren't suppressing the truth, you'd know that yesterday's Dallas tea party was 10x as big!  Probably!
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on April 16, 2009, 12:06:03 AM

Quote from: Brendan on April 15, 2009, 11:25:40 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 15, 2009, 11:22:03 PM

Since when do you ever hear of any such report on "leftwing" activities?

Oh, I don't know.  Maybe in 2001.  Or maybe this year.  Hard to say...

And again, shot down within seconds. Whether it's "ACORN gets money in the stimulus" or "Obama gave the Queen an iPod with his speeches on it" or "Obama spent taxpayer dollars to bring a guy in to make him pizza," you seem to get the basic facts in your assertions just flat our wrong an inordinate amount of the time, Mitch. I'd change whatever news source you're using to get "informed." It's mis-leading you.

At least I can see where this particular inaccuracy is coming from.  On Tuesday, my local conservative talkshow host was saying that the DHS report was technically about radical militias and racist splinter groups, but deliberately written in way to impugn and discredit everyone on the right.

Yesterday, he was saying that the DHS report was about the mainstream conservative movement, showing the Obama administration's preparedness to use secret spies and public intimidation to shut down reasonable dissent among the populace.

Three hours ago, he was talking with Power Line Blog's John Hinderaker about how the DHS report labeled returning war veterans as unstable radicals who are more threatening to Obama's agenda than any Islamic extremist.  This is all while fielding calls from a loyal cadre of listeners who rage on every interpretation as another sign of Obama's vile anti-Americanism, apparently oblivious to the fact that they believed something different 24-hours earlier, or to the inherent irony of their continued support for President Bush's warrantless domestic surveillance.

The cognitive dissonance from day to day -- sometimes from hour to hour -- is enough to give you a nosebleed. wasted

-Autistic Angel
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »

Gov. Perry, the leader of Texas Republicans, is a total scumbag. In 1997, Texas knew how to treat secessionists:

'Republic of Texas Member Dies in Battle with Rangers'

The greatest anti-American movement in history was the 1860s secessionists. Our state is still disgraced by the number of imbeciles that "proudly" fly their blood-stained, hate-driven banner. That Perry would raise the notion at this sort of event... that's playing with a very, very dangerous sort of fire. In 1861, Governor Sam Houston, a loyal American, was impeached because he wouldn't pledge loyalty to the secessionist movement. Now, we have a far lesser man in office, trying to push the notion of secession to prop up his failing career.

The sad irony is that the stimulus package Perry's railing against literally has saved Texas's butt. Were it not for the stimulus, deep cuts in children's health care programs, road repair programs and education programs would have had to have been made. Texas dodged a bullet solely because of President Obama, the Democratic Congress and the stimulus bill.

In a party full of tools, Perry is the tool-iest.

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2009, 05:21:45 PM »

American's in almost every instance have provenm thru the ballot that they oppose same sex marriage. Yet I believe many in the left screamed how unfair and un-American the votes were.

In one case the majority speaks and it should be voided.....?
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »

How the fuck is gay rights germane to this issue?

Once again, when they have nothing to say to the issue at hand, the right-wing tries to derail the conversation by attacking gays, minorities or anyone else they think is vulnerable.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 04:46:26 PM

Meanwhile, MSNBC has two "liberal" hosts, Maddow and Olbermann, which total, I recall, 2 hours of each day.
And Chris Matthews.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2009, 05:37:44 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on April 16, 2009, 05:27:38 PM

Once again, when they have nothing to say to the issue at hand, the right-wing tries to derail the conversation by attacking gays, minorities or anyone else they think is vulnerable.

I think he's trying ham-handedly to allude to Cheeba's side-track about whether politicians should listen to protest groups.  Of course, gay rights are a constitutional issue, and when the "left" screams about things, that's the issue that's fundamentally in question.  While it may be un-American and unfair that voters pass these stupid initiatives, those things don't impact the legality of them.

The tea partiers got their asses kicked in an election a few months ago.  I don't see any of us leftist hyenas saying they should shut up - just that their principles are contradictory (and, yes, hilarious).  In fact, I'd prefer they keep going, as they're just going to continue reducing themselves to an even smaller minority party.  For the first time in decades, people are mostly happy with their tax burden.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2009, 05:40:34 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 16, 2009, 05:32:54 PM

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 04:46:26 PM

Meanwhile, MSNBC has two "liberal" hosts, Maddow and Olbermann, which total, I recall, 2 hours of each day.
And Chris Matthews.

Totally.

Which Fox hosts support the progressive agenda, Cheeba?  Remind me.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2009, 05:40:37 PM »

Already explained it. You should know about this stuff as it's kind of Political Science 101 I remember. You guys are talking about how many people take to the streets in protest. You're making it a dick length contest, even. I'm making the point that it doesn't really matter how many people take to the streets. It's the age old question of whether representatives should just represent the majority of their constituency, or should they lead even when they don't have agreement of the majority of the people? Gay marriage is the perfect example. The majority of the public is clearly against gay marriage. So should the politicians listen to that majority or should they lead the way and fight for gay marriage?
Attacking gays? You'd have to be an outright helmet-on-your-head moron to think that anyone here has attacked gays.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 05:40:34 PM

Which Fox hosts support the progressive agenda, Cheeba?  Remind me.
Are you actually arguing that MSNBC doesn't have a lefty bias? Seriously? When their news desk at conventions is Olbermann and Matthews laughing at republicans and saying, "oh god" when Jindal comes on after a presidential address? Or is there somehow some twisted logic at work in your brain that MSNBC is less liberal than Fox News is conservative, so that matters in the least?

Edit - Btw, Brendan... I hate to break it to you, but the New York Times is liberal as well. Every single word they print is not liberal, but they do lean a ways to the left, if you hadn't heard.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2009, 05:52:39 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 16, 2009, 05:46:24 PM

Are you actually arguing that MSNBC doesn't have a lefty bias? Seriously?

I'm not sure if trolling is your avowed profession, or merely your hobby, but you're certainly persistent at misreading the English language, and I've got to figure it's intentional. 

Am I arguing that Olbermann and Maddow aren't upfront about their political biases?  No, Cheeba, I'm arguing that Fox News, the most popular cable news station, is 100% devoted to pushing conservative ideals, and that its editorial bias stems from conscious choices of the owners and editorial staff.  73 promotions of tea parties in 8 days is corporate sponsorship, not reporting.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2009, 05:52:53 PM »

don't be an ass, I am making a point about public opinion..the fact that a majority of people believe something doesn't make it right, and in America it doesn't make it law as the courts can ( and probably will in this case) overide the popular vote

i am fiscally conservative, i have voted republican, but I would love to see the republican party abondon it's foolish societal issues (abortion, gay marriage etc)
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2009, 05:56:17 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 05:37:44 PM

I think he's trying ham-handedly to allude to Cheeba's side-track about whether politicians should listen to protest groups.  Of course, gay rights are a constitutional issue, and when the "left" screams about things, that's the issue that's fundamentally in question.  While it may be un-American and unfair that voters pass these stupid initiatives, those things don't impact the legality of them.

The tea partiers got their asses kicked in an election a few months ago.  I don't see any of us leftist hyenas saying they should shut up - just that their principles are contradictory (and, yes, hilarious).  In fact, I'd prefer they keep going, as they're just going to continue reducing themselves to an even smaller minority party.  For the first time in decades, people are mostly happy with their tax burden.

no, but you "leftist hyenas" don't believe they have any genuine concerns, that they are led by right wing nuts and that yes, they probably should just shut up and stay at home. (those are my words, not yours)
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2009, 05:57:16 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on April 16, 2009, 05:56:17 PM

no, but you "leftist hyenas" don't believe they have any genuine concerns, that they are led by right wing nuts and that yes, they probably should just shut up and stay at home. (those are my words, not yours)

I think I just explicitly said that I would love love love to see more of them on television.  I can't get enough of them.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2009, 05:57:38 PM »

After yesterday, I never again want to hear a crack about the bias of Fox News.  Between Rosegen, Olberman, and Maddow's childish displays, CNN and MSNBC have clearly shown their true colors (as if it weren't already obvious to anyone with two brain cells to rub together).  You're only fooling yourself by trying to create false distinctions between them and Fox, as if their bias is somehow more appropriate.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2009, 06:14:43 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 05:52:39 PM

Quote from: cheeba on April 16, 2009, 05:46:24 PM

Are you actually arguing that MSNBC doesn't have a lefty bias? Seriously?

I'm not sure if trolling is your avowed profession, or merely your hobby, but you're certainly persistent at misreading the English language, and I've got to figure it's intentional. 

I think you're being very generous there.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2009, 06:19:58 PM »

Are you kidding? Since the face of the GOP became Limbaugh and Michelle Bachman and these teabagging losers, public opinion of the Republican Party has fallen *to its lowest levels in history*. I want them on TV more. Because, while, in truth, they're really a shrinking circle of fanatics talking only to themselves, the rest of the nation still hears what they say, and are repelled.

I mean, all this sturm und drang, Fox News going overboard with their partisan rhetoric, talk radio going ballistic, Glen Beck having an embellism of hate and panic every night on TV for months and.... well, President Obama's approval rating hasn't dipped, he's now the most trusted political figure in the country, the number of people saying the nation is on "the right track" has tripled, Congress's approval ratings have shot up between 10 and 20 points (though Congressional Republican ratings have slid to their lowest level ever)....

Why would I want them taken off the air? They're killing themselves out there. It's... beautiful.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »

Wow is it ever hard to get you to admit anything. That's so cute it's precious.

I originally said:
"MSNBC is left wing."

To which you said:
"Right, because 3 hours of Joe Scarborough each and every morning is "left wing.""

Now that sure seems like a sarcastic response to me.

So answer this very simple, very straight-forward question, either with a yes or no please:

MSNBC is left wing: Yes or No?

I'm not talking about Fox. I'm not talking about Olbermann or Maddow or Scarborough. I'm talking about MSNBC as a station. Does it have a lefty bias?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2009, 06:24:40 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 16, 2009, 06:21:55 PM

I originally said:
"MSNBC is left wing."

To which you said:
"Right, because 3 hours of Joe Scarborough each and every morning is "left wing.""

So answer this very simple, very straight-forward question, either with a yes or no please:

I'm not talking about Fox. I'm not talking about Olbermann or Maddow or Scarborough. I'm talking about MSNBC as a station. Does it have a lefty bias?

Wow - like you've ever indulged anyone on this site with a straight answer?  Alright, Cheeba:

No, MSNBC does not have an institutional bias like Fox News does.  It has partisan hosts of both persuasions, but jesus christ, it fired Phil Donahue for being anti-war.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2009, 06:31:26 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 16, 2009, 06:24:40 PM

No, MSNBC does not have an institutional bias like Fox News does.
Wow dude. I mean I've very clearly stated that I'm libertarian with a lean to the right and I can and have said that Fox has a right-wing bias. And you can't come to terms with MSNBC being lefty biased? It's fine to be a partisan, but holy shit, not a totally blind one.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2009, 06:32:23 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on April 16, 2009, 06:19:58 PM

Are you kidding? Since the face of the GOP became Limbaugh and Michelle Bachman and these teabagging losers, public opinion of the Republican Party has fallen *to its lowest levels in history*. I want them on TV more. Because, while, in truth, they're really a shrinking circle of fanatics talking only to themselves, the rest of the nation still hears what they say, and are repelled.

I mean, all this sturm und drang, Fox News going overboard with their partisan rhetoric, talk radio going ballistic, Glen Beck having an embellism of hate and panic every night on TV for months and.... well, President Obama's approval rating hasn't dipped, he's now the most trusted political figure in the country, the number of people saying the nation is on "the right track" has tripled, Congress's approval ratings have shot up between 10 and 20 points (though Congressional Republican ratings have slid to their lowest level ever)....

Why would I want them taken off the air? They're killing themselves out there. It's... beautiful.

Remember, or maybe you can't, I don't know how old you are, that it hasn't been too long ago that the democratic party was down and out. It all works in cycles. Wait a couple of elections and they will shift positions as the power in party always gets the blame for things when they go wrong, and when they go smoothly, well, people expect that so the credit for that is rarely given.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 16, 2009, 06:31:26 PM

Wow dude. I mean I've very clearly stated that I'm libertarian with a lean to the right and I can and have said that Fox has a right-wing bias. And you can't come to terms with MSNBC being lefty biased? It's fine to be a partisan, but holy shit, not a totally blind one.

Do you know what the word "institutional" means, Cheeba?  Hint: not the same as "institutionalized."
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2009, 06:34:22 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 16, 2009, 06:21:55 PM

I originally said:
"MSNBC is left wing."

To which you said:

Wow - like you've ever indulged anyone on this site with a straight answer?  Alright, Cheeba:

No, MSNBC does not have an institutional bias like Fox News does.  It has partisan hosts of both persuasions, but jesus christ, it fired Phil Donahue for being anti-war.

I would add that all four of MSNBC's afternoon-to-evening opinion shows: The Ed Show, Hardball, Countdown and the Rachel Maddow Show, are hosted by liberals.

However, of them, only perhaps Mr. Olbermann could really be considered "left-wing", balanced against the clearly "right-wing" Hannity and Beck on Fox News. O'Rielly is a sub-human asshole, and conservative, but not necessarily "right-wing." Matthews and Maddow are much more mainstream liberal than Olbermann appears to be. And Ed Schulz is basically center-left, with some pretty solid middle-of-the-road credentials that *none* of the other six MSNBC and Fox News talk hosts can claim.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2009, 06:38:46 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 16, 2009, 06:31:26 PM

Fox's conservative bias runs out of its "opinion" programs and clear through its news side, as well -- look at the inordinate amount of promotion for the 'tea parties' the "news" side of Fox News did over the last couple of months. There's nothing like that in the MSNBC "hard news" programming. Also, MSNBC has conservative show hosts, and a long history of conservative show hosts. Fox has *never* given a show to a liberal.

While MSNBC does lean left, it doesn't lean left to the degree that Fox leans right, particularly when dealing with the "straight news" content.

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2009, 06:44:58 PM »

Fox is unwatchable....Olbermann is good except he has a real hang up with Bush and Cheney....I like watching Maddow........
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2009, 06:50:09 PM »

Truthfully, I can't stand watching any of them.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2009, 08:28:27 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 16, 2009, 06:50:09 PM

Truthfully, I can't stand watching any of them.

This.

Every news commentary "show" has a bias of some type. And they're all shills, every last one of them. The only appearance I've enjoyed was Jon Stewart's interview on Hardball, where he actually called them on it.

As for broadcast news (the "dry" stuff, not commentary news), I've watched a fair bit of it, and honestly just don't anymore. Fox is right-wing/Republican (not conservative; conservatives can actually be intelligent, unlike Fox) through and through. The other news channels vary between left-leaning and "neutral," but all are corporate-biased and thus slant their news stories towards intended messages as well.

I don't trust any of them. To get legitimate news anymore, it's up to an individual to trawl a variety of sources (broadcast, print, AND internet) and actually work to sift the facts out of the crap they're constantly buried in.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2009, 02:32:39 AM »

“I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our state,” Gov. Perry said.

An example of an oppressive federal government?

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/04/data-centers-ra.html
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2009, 12:18:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 15, 2009, 04:00:32 AM

OK, a pic of a carebear violates something?  saywhat

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2009, 01:23:32 AM »

Did you get a PM about that?   saywhat  

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!