http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 01:23:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Gaming Thread on the irrelevance of Unions  (Read 352 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/10/music-union-threatens-journey-composer-with-50k-fine/?ncid=rss_truncated

This is a fascinating article about the musicians union and their suit against a composer that chose to work in the gaming industry.  I've no doubt whatsoever, and would happily admit unions have played an important role during their time.

Their time however is over, and this article is another example of this fact.   This is so asinine that I can't imagine anyone here being on the other side of it...  How can you?  Do we not want fantastic music in the games we play?   

We had a proud moment here in Chattanooga, Tennessee last year, when the UAW was voted the FUCK out of the Volkswagen plant here.   That my friends is a proud moment.  Of course they're appealing and that and the case above will more than likely after millions in legal fees and ass rubbing go the way of the unions, which is an absolute crock if it happens.

Anyway, hope some of you find the article interesting, and I promise the powers that be...  this isn't political, nor religion.  smile   I own 5-10 gaming soundtracks and appreciate good scores for games as much as anyone.  This kinda bullcrap shouldn't be tolerated.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »

Unions are, in my opinion, a necessity. But not this particular union. They've clearly showed that they're not deserving of their responsibility, and they deserve all the public backlash they'll get from this news story.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »

And I agree completely, this composer should have never joined the union to begin with.  That however, doesn't equal Unions being relevant.  

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 10, 2014, 09:12:54 PM

Unions are, in my opinion, a necessity. But not this particular union. They've clearly showed that they're not deserving of their responsibility, and they deserve all the public backlash they'll get from this news story.

Okay, first sentence is a discussion for another day in a forum I'm not allowed to post in slywink.  I am glad you agree with everything else though. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »

To address this particular issue:

AFM President Ray Hair and a committee enacted a video game recording contract in 2012 that bars union members from working on new projects in the games industry. The contract was passed without a vote from union members, Wintory says.

If that is indeed the case, then the leadership and the resulting contract is well outside the scope of functioning as a representation of the members, as they weren't even asked to weigh in on it.  I'd say the legal wrangling over this one should be interesting, and I certainly hope that this union falls flat on its face, if the quote is true.

To the larger state of the worth of unions as a whole, demonizing the entire structure of them is inept.  There are those that take their responsibilities seriously and those that abuse them, just as there are companies that do the same.  

Unions, when functioning properly, are an offset to employer power run rampant.  And I especially see value in them when countering a government employer, because who is more likely to abuse their employment power than the organization that holds sway over every other aspect of your public life?

If the VW union wasn't looking after the needs of its employees appropriately, then by all means, vote them out.  But, as with everything else in public life, it has become a political issue as much as anything else.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 10:32:33 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on June 10, 2014, 09:18:23 PM

If the VW union wasn't looking after the needs of its employees appropriately, then by all means, vote them out.  But, as with everything else in public life, it has become a political issue as much as anything else.

Eco-Logic's statements about the UAW vote in Chattanooga are so far removed from the actual events, I have to consider the possibility that he's thinking of some other, very different, event.

1) The unionization vote took place in February of 2014 -- not "last year."

2) The UAW was not an existing presence that was "voted the FUCK out" -- the plant held a vote to decide whether or not they were going to join the UAW for the first time.

3) The UAW dropped its appeal back in April.  As far as I can tell, it had not progressed beyond a single filing with the NLRB back in February which notified the board of their intent to appeal.  Hardly a cause for "millions in legal fees," much less a bunch of "ass rubbing."

4) The reason for the appeal was that the vote -- which Eco-Logic is so vocally proud of -- was tainted by the Republican state legislators threatening to block millions of dollars in tax incentives if the workers voted to unionize, effectively terminating a planned expansion to the plant and putting the workers' jobs in jeopardy.

Quote from: USA Today
Not only are Republican legislators accusing Volkswagen of backing the UAW, some of their leaders on Monday threatened to withhold tax incentives for future expansion of the 3-year-old assembly plant in Chattanooga if workers vote this week to join the UAW.

About 1,500 workers will vote from Wednesday through Friday in an election that the National Labor Relations Board will conduct.

The company plans to expand in Chattanooga or at a Mexican plant to produce a midsize SUV. Overall, Volkswagen intends to invest about $7 billion in North America over the next five years to achieve a goal of selling more than 1 million Volkswagen and Audi vehicles in the U.S. by 2018.

"It has been widely reported that Volkswagen has promoted a campaign that has been unfair, unbalanced and, quite frankly, un-American in the traditions of American labor campaigns," State Sen. Bo Watson, R-Chattanooga, said in a statement sent to the Free Press. "Should the workers choose to be represented by the United Auto Workers, then I believe additional incentives for expansion will have a very tough time passing the Tennessee Senate."

But here's the real kicker: at the same time that state Republicans were threatening to punish VW workers if they voted to unionize, Tennessee Senator Bob Corker was promising them Volkswagon would grant them a massive new manufacturing contract if they didn't.  The problem?  Volkswagon disagreed.

Quote from: Automotive News
CHATTANOOGA (Reuters) -- Volkswagen AG, in a brief but bluntly worded statement on Thursday, said a vote this week on UAW representation at its Chattanooga, Tenn., plant would have no bearing on whether it will build a new crossover vehicle there.

The statement was contrary to U.S. Senator Bob Corker's announcement on Wednesday that he had been "assured" that if workers at the factory reject UAW representation, the company would reward the plant with a new product to build.

"There is no connection between our Chattanooga employees' decision about whether to be represented by a union and the decision about where to build a new product for the U.S. market," said Frank Fischer, chairman and CEO of Volkswagen Chattanooga.

Corker, a Tennessee Republican, made the assertion, which ran counter to previous public statements by VW, on the first day of a three-day secret ballot election of blue-collar workers on UAW representation.

This is what Eco-Logic is so proud of: Tennessee Republicans telling bald-faced lies and threatening the jobs of a bunch of blue collar workers if they voted to join a union for better representation with their employer.

But again, maybe Eco-Logic is thinking of some other, unrelated VW - UAW unionization vote that occurred in Chattanooga..."last year."  Anyone know if Volkswagon has recently struck up some sort of game development or publishing deal that might make this thread at least *theoretically* relevant to the PC / Console Gaming board?

-Autistic Angel
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:55:12 PM »

If he can't go to R&P, he'll bring it over to him.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »

Unions are like any other organization run by humans.  It can be good, or it can be bad.  I will say the original need for Unions (worker's rights) has lessened due to state and federal laws that were put in place...although most likely because of the work of Unions.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: