http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 04:53:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5th Anniversary of "Mission Accomplished"  (Read 1414 times)
Blackadar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »

You're doing a great job, Bushie!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24400896/&GT1=43001

How many different ways can they be wrong?

1.  No, it wasn't the end of major combat operations.
2.  No, it wasn't a victory in the war against terror since Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism.
3.  No, it's not the media's fault that it's "played up".
4.  No, the White House has no credibility for the various explanations of the origins of the banner.
5.  No, you haven't paid the price you fucking hypocrites, liars and murders.  4,000 US soldiers and well over 100,000 Iraqi citizens have paid the price, as well as every citizen in the country.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 09:16:54 PM »

It was the end of major combat operations if we are referring to traditional conventional war against uniformed enemies. Not that that makes it any better, but it will at least be a nice simple event which historians in a few decades can look back and delineate when the war went from conventional to insurgency.
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:10:36 AM »

I sure hope this one goes up in the Bush Presidential Library.  I have a couple of other thoughts about this pic but I am too much the gentleman to point out the obvious. 

Saving the world one post at a time.
Trappin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 09:00:43 PM »

What the heck - I'll bite  icon_wink

http://www.longwarjournal.org/
GMLRS strike knocks out Special Groups [QODS] command center in Sadr City

The Mahdi Army and the Special Groups have intentionally fought amongst the civilian population and use civilians as human shields in an attempt to inflate civilian casualties and create a media backlash against Iraqi and US operations.

The Lancet and other western publications typically use figures released by QODS force media officials. Most of these press releases quote unnamed sources and the casualty figures cannot be independently verified.

Sadr City barrier 'a magnet' for Mahdi Army attacks

The large majority of the direct attacks by the Mahdi Army against US and Iraqi forces in Sadr City are occurring on Qods Street, where a barrier is being erected to separate the Iraqi Army and US controlled sections in the south from the northern portion of the district

Combat engineers continue to build the first in a series of concrete barriers designed to control/choke point weapons and explosives trafficking. This system worked well in Fallujah and helped/resulted in the pacification of  Karmah

http://www.indcjournal.com/
Where in the ... (Update, FOB Loyalty & a JSS in SW Rusafa)

The weather cleared and I made it out of the International Zone to Forward Operating Base Loyalty and on to an embed at Joint Security Station (JSS) with White Platoon, Blackfoot Troop, 3-89 Cavalry, scouts for the 4th Infantry Brigade of the 10th Mountain Division.

This guy is currently embedded in Iraq. I don't often read his blog but I do recall he is center/right but by all means not a hardcore neocon.

Summary

-  Everyone debating this topic just talks over one another and we can never get past the No War For Oil/ Baghdad Victory Parade nonsense .

Example - Obligatory four year old Bush_in_ flight_suit photo.

helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 12:18:17 AM »

Quote from: Trappin on May 04, 2008, 09:00:43 PM

What the heck - I'll bite  icon_wink
Welcome to the R&P, Trappin.  Those were interesting links about the ongoing operation against Special Groups (aka Muqtada al-Sadr's Army).  It's an important operation that will be playing out for some time.  Our thoughts and prayers are always with our men and women in uniform who have the seemingly impossible job of putting Iraq back together again. 

Everyone debating this topic just talks over one another and we can never get past the No War For Oil/ Baghdad Victory Parade nonsense . Example - Obligatory four year old Bush_in_ flight_suit photo.
I know these weren't your words but since you posted them, I'm obliged to respond.  There's one or two posters here who'll push the "war for oil" view.  Everyone else would agree that the war wasn't about oil and so that is not an impediment to you and I having a rational and reasoned discussion about Iraq.  A better example of an impediment to the discussion would be people question someone else's patriotism based on their views on Iraq.  I don't remember seeing that here either so maybe we are the exception to the rule. 

The "Mission Accomplished" pics epitomize the folly and hubris of the Prez and his handlers in attempting to leverage the war and our military to maximum political advantage.  It backfired badly in this instance.  There are many follies we could choose from (i.e. "bring it on," "fight them there so we don't have to fight them here," etc.) but a picture is worth a thousand words.  It's a chance to vent in shorthand and that's why it keeps coming up.  Bush and Cheney have said the opinions of the majority of Americans on Iraq don't matter so I can't imagine this hurts their feelings.  If it does by chance hurt someone's feelings, I'm reminded that Bush's tenure ends 01/19/2009. On his way to Air Force One, he can quote an ex-President and say, "You won't have Bush to kick around anymore" and flip us the bird. 

A fresh start would be nice for both sides. 

Saving the world one post at a time.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 02:46:40 AM »

Quote from: helot2000 on May 02, 2008, 02:10:36 AM

I sure hope this one goes up in the Bush Presidential Library.  I have a couple of other thoughts about this pic but I am too much the gentleman to point out the obvious. 

I'm not. Bush was a dick for blocking that guy's face from the shot.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 09:34:12 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 05, 2008, 02:46:40 AM

Quote from: helot2000 on May 02, 2008, 02:10:36 AM

I'm not. Bush was a dick for blocking that guy's face from the shot.

No - he was wearing a codpiece.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: