http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 06:54:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTF] Republicans propose bill to "reaffirm" motto of "In God We Trust"  (Read 1912 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51427.html

What is this crap?

We dont believe that it has changed since 1956, Forbes told POLITICO. We think its the right moto[sic] for us today. We just want to make that clear to the country.

Not set the motto, which already exists, just "reaffirm" it. Apparently this has already passed committee. He also wants it posted on government buildings (with what money, I have no idea). What is this besides some way for Republicans to point at Democrats and see, "see, he voted against GOD!"

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:08:39 PM »

More like it being seen as steadily being taken away, and this will try to stop that?

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 23, 2011, 05:08:39 PM

More like it being seen as steadily being taken away, and this will try to stop that?

What's being taken away? The motto? The supreme court just dismissed a case asking it to be removed from money. It's apparently not going anywhere.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »

I'm fascinated whenever the Repubs call for smaller government and then put forth crap like this.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 23, 2011, 05:13:10 PM

What's being taken away? The motto? The supreme court just dismissed a case asking it to be removed from money. It's apparently not going anywhere.

There's still a movement to have it be gone forever.

Sounds like Repub's are taking the offensive this time.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 23, 2011, 05:19:03 PM

But they're not doing anything. They are taking a vote to say that something that exists already exists, primarily as a political tool and as a complete waste of time.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 23, 2011, 05:22:24 PM

But they're not doing anything. They are taking a vote to say that something that exists already exists, primarily as a political tool and as a complete waste of time.

You sound surprised, but that's all Repubs do is waste everyone's time.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:28:47 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 23, 2011, 05:24:46 PM

Dude, this is like 5th grade type stuff. Come on.

Teggy, think of it this way: if you like McDonald's hamburgers, but you know there's a movement to have them "removed" and one of the ways the "removers" are going to try and do it is by saying that the burgers are toxic to your body...would you not support a study and then a confirmation that indeed they are not?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 23, 2011, 05:28:47 PM

which grade is this?

Quote from: Zekester on March 18, 2011, 08:43:34 PM

It's always 'democracy' when the liberals get what they want. But it never is when they don't.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 05:37:45 PM »

Still reaching, hepcat?

We must be in the same grade then, considering your immediate follow-up:

It's always "democracy" when the conservatives get what they want.  But it never is when they don't.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:39:28 PM by Zekester » Logged

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »

Teggy, think of it this way: if you like McDonald's hamburgers, but you know there's a movement to have them "removed" and one of the ways the "removers" are going to try and do it is by saying that the burgers are toxic to your body...would you not support a study and then a confirmation that indeed they are not?

I'm missing the part of this that's analogous to doing a study on the nutritional value of hamburgers.

If the substantive value of this is putting signs on public buildings then it should be dismissed out of hand due to financial considerations.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 05:40:29 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 23, 2011, 05:39:28 PM

I'm missing the part of this that's analogous to doing a study on the nutritional value of hamburgers.

If the substantive value of this is putting signs on public buildings then it should be dismissed out of hand due to financial considerations.

I think it's just an example of trying to hold on to something you hold dear.

Conservatives like to do that  icon_wink

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 05:42:12 PM »

I love it when Zeke accuses someone of being childish because of some sweeping generalization...but then turns around and does the same thing on the same page of a thread.   icon_lol

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 23, 2011, 05:42:12 PM

I love it when Zeke accuses someone of being childish because of some sweeping generalization...but then turns around and does the same thing on the same page of a thread.   icon_lol

I like when hepcat tries making me look bad, only to fall victim to the very example he tried using.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »

And yet another potentially interesting debate turns into a pile of compost because of Zekester. Can someone tell me why he isn't banned yet?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 23, 2011, 05:49:43 PM

And yet another potentially interesting debate turns into a pile of compost because of Zekester. Can someone tell me why he isn't banned yet?

I'm surprised you haven't been banned for your obvious personal vendetta against me....as proven once again now.

I was contributing to this thread, whereas all you've done is attack me.

I represent the opposite side, and you can't stand it.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 05:53:20 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 23, 2011, 05:43:34 PM

Quote from: hepcat on March 23, 2011, 05:42:12 PM

I love it when Zeke accuses someone of being childish because of some sweeping generalization...but then turns around and does the same thing on the same page of a thread.   icon_lol

I like when hepcat tries making me look bad, only to fall victim to the very example he tried using.

I like when hepcat wanders into the Zeke Zone.  Bring your own!

Entertainment value.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »

Fine, i'll leave the thread alone so all of you can just wallow in your sameness.

Be happy  icon_surprised

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »

Yeah, I'm not REALLY upset with the Zekemeister.  I just like yankin' his chain when he starts yankin' that of others.  I stumbled into the Zeke Zone with eyes wide open...at least for today.

Quote from: Zekester on March 23, 2011, 05:53:00 PM

I represent the opposite side, and you can't stand it.

Fine, i'll leave the thread alone so all of you can just wallow in your sameness.

this is a common theme in his posts.  whenever he writes this, in my mind's eye I see him wearing this at his desk:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:59:08 PM by hepcat » Logged

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 23, 2011, 05:54:56 PM

Yeah, I'm not REALLY upset with the Zekemeister.  I just like yankin' his chain when he starts yankin' that of others.  

LOL another admitted personal vendetta.

Lovely.

Ok, carry on with your potentially interesting debate where you all just agree that Republicans and Conservatives suck  icon_lol

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 05:58:38 PM »

I'm just annoyed because it has become impossible to discuss politics and religion in a serious way in this forum any more. Whenever Zekester replies, the discussion derails into a "look at the midget!" freak show event. Add in his continuous insults and that he drags them into the other parts of the forum, and I really am amazed that he hasn't been banned.

But enough of that. He has said he'll stay out of this thread, so I'll stop commenting on it... here.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 23, 2011, 05:58:38 PM

I'm just annoyed because it has become impossible to discuss politics and religion in a serious way in this forum any more. Whenever Zekester replies, the discussion derails into a "look at the midget!" freak show event.

to be fair, some of us gleefully jump into the mud and are equally to blame.  But R&P is pretty much dead without the freak show.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 23, 2011, 06:01:44 PM

I'm just annoyed because it has become impossible to discuss politics and religion in a serious way in this forum any more. Whenever Zekester replies, the discussion derails into a "look at the midget!" freak show event.

to be fair, some of us gleefully jump into the mud and are equally to blame.  But R&P is pretty much dead without the freak show.

The R&P forum at Octopus Overlords is reasonably active, and they have a considerable overlap in members with GT. If people have a choice of places to post their opinions, they're going to disregard the forum where their thread will derail within the first dozen posts. I believe people like Zekester may be just the reason why there isn't much activity in R&P here.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »

I would tend to disagree.  GT's R&P forum was fairly INactive prior to it catching the Zeke's eye.  I don't think it's fair to blame that on him. 

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 06:08:25 PM »

I love how you guys accuse me of derailing threads when you two still haven't stopped talking about something other than the thread topic. Why haven't you (tilt) chimed in with something on topic instead of about me?

I was responding to Teggy just fine until Leo made a generalization, to which I called out...something many of you have done to me many times over.

And what exactly would I be banned for, tilt? Please, enlighten me and everyone else here. Or have you always liked dictatorships?

Now get back on topic so I can stay out of here  icon_razz

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »

Wait... is God voting in the next election? Cuz I'd think it'd be pretty important to some bias to gain his vote. Also, I think you should put banners of other popular names to ensure votership... eg: john rules! Dave is cool! In Krista we trust!

Also, if in God ye trust, then shouldn't He rule (and certainly not zealots who misrepresent Him)? I'd personally vote God into office (for at least one term), but I'm pretty sure he'd be able to just make sure He won, you know?

Keep in mind that He does let bad things happen, so don't expect a perfect term.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 06:09:13 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 23, 2011, 06:08:21 PM

I would tend to disagree.  GT's R&P forum was fairly INactive prior to it catching the Zeke's eye.  I don't think it's fair to blame that on him. 

Damn straight, brotha  icon_wink

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 06:10:15 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 23, 2011, 06:09:13 PM

I would tend to disagree.  GT's R&P forum was fairly INactive prior to it catching the Zeke's eye.  I don't think it's fair to blame that on him.  

that's not really a compliment...

But enough of that. He has said he'll stay out of this thread,

Listen, I've got this bridge in San Francisco I've been trying to sell...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:17:35 PM by hepcat » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 06:10:48 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on March 23, 2011, 06:09:13 PM

I would tend to disagree.  GT's R&P forum was fairly INactive prior to it catching the Zeke's eye.  I don't think it's fair to blame that on him.  

Quantity != quality. Look to CeeKay for example. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 06:54:26 PM »

It's ironic because the thread wasn't really derailed until your post Tilt. Prior to that Zeke was mostly on topic, with the exception of his comment about Hepcat. Which, is also ironic because Zeke was just responding to Hepcat's derailment.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »

According to one source, Republicans are trying to get "In God We Trust" signs put on 9,000 federal buildings at $10k a pop.

What Would Jesus Do?

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on March 23, 2011, 06:55:31 PM

According to one source, Republicans are trying to get "In God We Trust" signs put on 9,000 federal buildings at $10k a pop.

What Would Jesus Do?

I'm pretty sure Jesus would be God's VP. So really he wouldn't have the power to do much beyond taking secret meetings with the oil companies, hiding in a bunker and getting misquoted by Matt Drudge.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:01:16 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »

Well, and you learn something new everyday (thanks for posting that article), which is that the "In God We Trust" motto came out of the same 1950's Red Scare mentality that put "under god" in the pledge (which I did know about). Which makes me even more angry about this.

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 23, 2011, 07:04:00 PM

Well, and you learn something new everyday (thanks for posting that article), which is that the "In God We Trust" motto came out of the same 1950's Red Scare mentality that put "under god" in the pledge (which I did know about). Which makes me even more angry about this.

Yup, but it does kind of go with the New McCarthyism meme, just Radical Muslims instead of Communists (though the damn pinko commie bastards are still working to bring down America).

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 07:55:41 PM »

Oh, yes, by all means, let's waste our time and money on this.  Head meets wall

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 08:13:34 PM »

Isnt religion and state supposed to be separated in the states? I actually though so. Why then have the motto on the bills, and now a party going for getting the same on buildings?

A new one
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »

Just goes to show they've got nothing better to do.

Ale
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 23, 2011, 08:13:34 PM

Isnt religion and state supposed to be separated in the states? I actually though so. Why then have the motto on the bills, and now a party going for getting the same on buildings?

Yup, it is. However, in the 1950's there were elements of society who were deathly scared of communists and thus pushed for the inclusion of god into various parts of the government and society (such as on paper money and in the pledge of allegiance). These days it's done so Republicans can pander to their base and try to shame those who think it has no place in government.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 23, 2011, 08:25:23 PM

Quote from: Razgon on March 23, 2011, 08:13:34 PM

Yup, it is. However, in the 1950's there were elements of society who were deathly scared of communists and thus pushed for the inclusion of god into various parts of the government and society (such as on paper money and in the pledge of allegiance). These days it's done so Republicans can pander to their base and try to shame those who think it has no place in government.

Yup, it's just another manifestation of a much larger culture war. What else would motivate them to "reaffirm" something they won decades ago?

I don't know how putting God on the currency ever passed the constitutional establishment test in the first place. I guess it doesn't specify whose god, and objectors can always opt out of having money.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 11:33:09 PM »

This is clearly to solidify the base for 2012.  It's nonsense.  'Look we proved we are on God's side by 'reaffirming' the motto that's on the thing we actually worship!'

I'm not a big fan of zeke, but the thread stalking against him needs to stop.  Its completely ruining a bunch of good threads.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: