http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [TDS] Barack Obama is the Luckiest Dude On The Planet  (Read 1282 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:03:17 PM »

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-september-25-2012/democalypse-2012---every-which-way-but-lucid

Yeah that about covers it for me.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 27, 2012, 05:03:17 PM

Yeah, I've been maintaining that the Republicans have been throwing this election since the ridiculous line-up or potential candidates last year. Mitt's actions of late have had me wondering if they've been worried that they might actually have a chance and he's been asked to step up his efforts to make himself unelectable.

(I do think that's unlikely, as I'm sure he fully believes his own bullshit, but I am struggling to find a better explanation...)

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:56:42 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on September 27, 2012, 06:18:06 PM

Quote from: gellar on September 27, 2012, 05:03:17 PM

Yeah, I've been maintaining that the Republicans have been throwing this election since the ridiculous line-up or potential candidates last year. Mitt's actions of late have had me wondering if they've been worried that they might actually have a chance and he's been asked to step up his efforts to make himself unelectable.

(I do think that's unlikely, as I'm sure he fully believes his own bullshit, but I am struggling to find a better explanation...) 

The "better explanation" is that the Republican Party is schizophrenic, and the primaries taught Mitt he had to kowtow to both of its personalities. That's what's killing him now. If he'd turned his back on the wingnuts and gone back to his natural centrist inclinations as soon as he had the nomination, we'd have a horserace today. It's probably too late to shake the etch-a-sketch again now, but he's doomed if he keeps trying to be all things to all Republicans.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »

Does this " belief that he has somehow hurt his chances" stem from the 47% video?  Curious really.

I think Mitt should become MORE AGGRESSIVE and bring up fast and furious, Solandra etc.

I know you libs have some confidence right now and that's fine, but truly I think this race is much closer than you believe it to be.

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »

No, The Mitt Train to Failtown has done much, much more than the 47% video.  Or much less depending on your view of it.  The video posted (that you clearly did not watch, good job!) spends about 10 seconds on the 47% video and the rest of the other 5 mins or so laughing at the other dumbfuck things the campaign has done.

Honestly from a moderate point of view, and I've said this before, it really reminds me of the Gore campaign.  What should be a 'COME ON, just look at the economy/dumb shit the White House has done the last 4 years... DO YOU WANT THAT SOME MORE?' slam dunk campaign has instead turned into a shitshow of retards saying some of the dumbest shit they could possibly say.  If Romney literally just repeated my line above anytime anyone asked him anything, his campaign would be doing better than it is now.

The fact that it's *remotely* close is only because the current office isn't any good either.  It's not something to be proud of; it's something to be ashamed of.

Hence, Barack Obama is the Luckiest Dude On The Planet.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:35:02 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 01, 2012, 07:39:16 PM

Honestly from a moderate point of view, and I've said this before, it really reminds me of the Gore campaign.  What should be a 'COME ON, just look at the economy/dumb shit the White House has done the last 4 years... DO YOU WANT THAT SOME MORE?' slam dunk campaign has instead turned into a shitshow of retards saying some of the dumbest shit they could possibly say.  If Romney literally just repeated my line above anytime anyone asked him anything, his campaign would be doing better than it is now.

The Romney campaign tried doing exactly what you say for several months, starting early in the Republican primary process and enduring all the way through choosing Paul Ryan to join the ticket.  Jobs, jobs, jobs!  The economy is bad!  Obama has failed!  Vote Romney and he'll do "something" to turn to things around!

You can only drop hints about your amazing economic solutions for so long before people start demanding to know what they are.  Pressure was already mounting on the Romney campaign to start getting specific, and when Ryan became the running mate, the national media naturally started using his well-publicized budget plans as a stand-in for Romney's.  Surprise!  It turns out that ending Medicare, privatizing Social Security, and slashing aid to the poor to offset tax cuts for the rich are political poison in a general election. 

*That's* when the Romney campaign started going off-script.  Attacking "Obamacare" despite its obvious similarities to Massachusetts' healthcare mandate.  Lying about changes to the welfare work requirement.  The "We Built It!" meme.  That disastrous, gaffe-laden foreign policy tour, followed by their attempts to leverage the embassy attacks.  The Romney campaign wagered so much on the idea that a foundering economy would propel them all the way through election day that when job numbers continued to improve, consumer confidence started to rise, and the public started asking hard questions about Conservatives were planning to do, they were left grasping for anything else they could use to stay in the game.

-Autistic Angel
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 02:38:11 AM »

I really don't think they needed to get specific.  Candidly, the American Public as a collective aren't very smart.  The *something/magic* plan would have carried him to the White House.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:15:05 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 02, 2012, 02:38:11 AM

I really don't think they needed to get specific.  Candidly, the American Public as a collective aren't very smart.  The *something/magic* plan would have carried him to the White House.
Yes, and it still could work if one of Mitt's debate zingers lands true, rather than blowing up in his face. (Remember how that pizza guy's 9-9-9 plan had traction? It's not the substance, it's the slogan.) The first debate is his last, best chance to change the momentum (barring some major unforeseen news event in the next few weeks). The odds are slight, since people dislike Romney the more they see him. But it could happen, and liberals should be nervous until it's over.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »

And you all still think Obama is leading, outside the Margin of error?  If anything the idiot incumbent is only slightly leading.

I just find people like you fascinating now.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on October 02, 2012, 11:26:04 AM

I just find people like you fascinating now.

As do we... as do we...

He's outside the margin of error in key states, such as Ohio. In general, though, he's pulling ahead. Even Rasmussen and Fox News polls now have Obama leading. Electoral college wise, it's never been close. I don't think I've seen national polling with Obama forecast less than 300 once you change the "toss-up" states to their leaning direction...

That's not to say the American public necessarily wants Obama reelected. It just says that they like Romney significantly less than Obama to the extent they're going to reelect him anyway. Romney is, in general, very disliked. Sorta the point of the Daily Show's clip.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:56:48 PM by Calavera » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »

"People like us?" You mean people who look at the facts? This isn't some sort of liberal wishful thinking thing. We are just looking at the polls and trends, it has nothing to do with political leanings. Whatever your opinions, you should be drawing the same conclusions from the data.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »

The polls are close, with Obama's lead being within the margin of error in most polls.  Even CNN's poll is within the margin of error.

By "people like you all" I simply mean people that are actually going to vote for Obama.  I'm blown away by it.  I have quiet a few Democrat clients, all who have told me they will not bee voting for him again. 

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 03:13:09 PM »

Well, let's see.

Things Romney has said he's going to try to push if elected:

From (http://www.politifact.com/personalities/mitt-romney/statements/)

Remove the American Opportunity Tax Credit for college tuition:  http://www.politifact.com/new-hampshire/statements/2012/aug/31/barack-obama/romneyryan-budget-would-be-end-road-american-oppor/
Remove the tax credit for wind producers (alternative energy):  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/14/barack-obama/obama-says-romney-would-end-wind-power-tax-credits/
End Planned Parenthood:  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/aug/08/barack-obama/obama-slams-romney-on-contraception-and-planned-pa/
Veto the DREAM act:  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jun/22/david-plouffe/mitt-romney-said-he-would-veto-dream-act-says-davi/
Proposes a $250,000 tax credit for millionaires:  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/may/08/barack-obama/barack-obama-says-mitt-romneys-tax-plan-gives-mill/
Deregulate the telecommunications industry, oppose Net Neutrality and sell off the wireless spectrum (More GOP than Romney admittedly):  http://stopthecap.com/2012/08/29/gop-platform-deregulate-everything-telecom-oppose-net-neutrality-sell-off-spectrum/

There's also the fact that he's continuously flip-flopping on things, sometimes in as short a span as 96 hours (Obama is for redistribution of wealth, that's bad! to My welfare plan includes lower-income paying less while higher-income paying more! -- which is a definition of redistribution)

I'm not saying Obama is perfect.  I will say, though, that I don't trust Romney as far as I can throw a tank.   Obama only a little more.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 03:24:31 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on October 02, 2012, 02:22:57 PM

The polls are close, with Obama's lead being within the margin of error in most polls.  Even CNN's poll is within the margin of error.

You're talking about national polls (which are within the margin of error) while everyone else is referring to the state-by-state polls. National polls mean nothing with the electoral college. And the states that are most important (Ohio, Florida, Virginia), Obama is ahead by more than the margin of error. Romney could win the national vote by 3% and still lose the election.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »

Another apt example is kerry vs bush.  He should have steamrolled bush.

The larger problem is that both parties suck and everyone hates them but they feel they have to vote for one of them. I won't be voting for either of them.

And the polls are always wrong and for the most part are irrelevant.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »

Agreed. If the public at large had more sense, they'd know it was the Bush Administration who crapped all over the economy in the first place, which they don't get.

I don't believe Romney can stand against Obama in a debate. He has neither Obama's magnetism nor the ability to think quickly on his feet that the President does.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

The administration doesn't feel as confidently about the debates as you do, as they've been trying to lower expectations for the past week.

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on October 02, 2012, 04:57:20 PM

The administration doesn't feel as confidently about the debates as you do, as they've been trying to lower expectations for the past week.

Confidence has nothing to do with that. They're actively managing expectations to remain in control. Romney is doing the exact same thing, granted not nearly as well. I don't need to see Romney doing 'zingers' (unless he goes full out and says Bazinga), but he's putting out press about doing them in the debate.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on October 02, 2012, 04:57:20 PM

That's because the expectations are already ridiculously high.

By a 2-1 margin, voters think Mr. Obama will best rival Mitt Romney in the three presidential debates that begin in Denver Wednesday, according to a poll by Quinnipiac University. A national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press comes to a similar conclusion; it found 51% of voters think Mr. Obama will win the first debate and 29% think Mr. Romney will.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »

Subjectively, I expect Obama to win the debate. I just vastly prefer his arguments.

Objectively... well, I don't know if it's possible to declare an "objective" winner (sans some egregious error by one of the candidates), but my expectation is that the media will lean skeptically on Obama and be more generous towards Romney. They love a horse-race and they love come-back stories. They gotta pump some more life back into this thing. There are eye-balls to grab.

Not that I think the debate will shift the dynamic much either way.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:12:03 PM by Captain Caveman » Logged
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 02, 2012, 04:10:49 PM

I don't believe Romney can stand against Obama in a debate. He has neither Obama's magnetism nor the ability to think quickly on his feet that the President does.

He does, however, have better hair and a one-inch height advantage.

The Globe reminded readers today that Romney was down by 6 points going into the last weeks of the 2002 gubernatorial campaign. He turned it around in the debates. Obama's a better opponent than Shannon O'Brien was, and a national presidential race is a lot different from a gubernatorial contest, but don't write him off yet.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »

By "people like you all" I simply mean people that are actually going to vote for Obama.  I'm blown away by it.  I have quiet a few Democrat clients, all who have told me they will not bee voting for him again. 

I'm voting for him for the first time because I believe he is the lesser of two retards.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »

Well, I'd probably vote Stewart/Colbert given the option, but I don't see a better alternative at this juncture.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »

But they still haven't gotten specific.  Here's a video from this past weekend of Paul Ryan flatly refusing to provide any explanation at all about how lowering taxes and increasing spending can result in a balanced budget.  All the economists are wrong: he's personally done the math and it's a flawless plan...he just won't show his work until after the election.

This behavior is why President Obama has drawn even and is starting to poll ahead of Mitt Romney on economic issues.  The only difference from the alternative strategy of Absolutely No Distractions is that, instead of awakening to the fact that Mitt Romney is being patently dishonest about taxes, Americans are also discovering him to be dangerously unprepared on issues of diplomacy, foreign policy, welfare, education, health care....

-Autistic Angel
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 02:00:56 AM »

Well, on the topic of alternative energy I got a whole-house solar quote over the weekend.   For me to exit the grid completely it'll cost me roughly 14k, with roughly 1600 of that being paid by rebates from the state.  When you look at the fact that I've spent $2674.00 in the last 12 months on power, it'll take just 5.2 years for me to break even.  At that point I'll be immune to rate hikes and other nonsense.   Tell me again how Solar is a waste of investment and should be cut from federal research?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 02:39:00 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 09, 2012, 02:00:56 AM

Well, on the topic of alternative energy I got a whole-house solar quote over the weekend.   For me to exit the grid completely it'll cost me roughly 14k, with roughly 1600 of that being paid by rebates from the state.  When you look at the fact that I've spent $2674.00 in the last 12 months on power, it'll take just 5.2 years for me to break even.  At that point I'll be immune to rate hikes and other nonsense.   Tell me again how Solar is a waste of investment and should be cut from federal research?

What is the cost to maintain the solar power equipment per year? And how long does they last before you need to replace them.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 03:11:26 AM »

Well, on the topic of alternative energy I got a whole-house solar quote over the weekend.   For me to exit the grid completely it'll cost me roughly 14k, with roughly 1600 of that being paid by rebates from the state.  When you look at the fact that I've spent $2674.00 in the last 12 months on power, it'll take just 5.2 years for me to break even.  At that point I'll be immune to rate hikes and other nonsense.   Tell me again how Solar is a waste of investment and should be cut from federal research?

Ironically, your solar panels probably won't be made in the US even though they were pioneered here. It's pretty disappointing that we've pretty much ceded our solar lead to China and Germany.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:18:28 AM by Calavera » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 06:04:37 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on October 09, 2012, 02:39:00 AM

What is the cost to maintain the solar power equipment per year? And how long does they last before you need to replace them.

0$.   It is a no-deductable full coverage monitored panel set for 20 years.  They monitor it to ensure it is reaching the output commits they put in writing which is enough to offset my power completely.   

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »

KD- Are you going to be able to sell excess capacity back to the util?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 10, 2012, 01:39:42 PM

KD- Are you going to be able to sell excess capacity back to the util?

Yes.  You don't get 'paid' for it - you get credits on your bill.  This means that over time you'll end up with a massive credit that, when I sell the house, they'll have to pay back.  smile  Muhahahhaha...it's like a savings account that I don't have to put money into!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 02, 2012, 07:56:24 PM

I'm voting for him for the first time because I believe he is the lesser of two retards.

Same, plus he may end up being the only one that can keep the retards in congress in check should republicans win house and senate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: