http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 01:04:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "W"  (Read 2143 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
"W"
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »

By now I'm sure everyone knows about Oliver Stone's new movie called "W" about George W. Bush and friends. The film reportedly portrays him as a drunken, foul mouthed daddy's boy with tons of issues who treats the White House like a frat house. Now, some of us here agree with that description and some of us here disagree with that description. Stone intends to release the film in time for the November election. Here's my question and it is honestly non-partisan based:

Is it okay for a film maker to use his/her power and influence to make a film that is intentionally meant to alter the course of a U.S. presidential election?

Discuss.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:44:46 PM »

Going by this week's EW article it doesn't sound like it's Stone that is intending to potentially effect the Presidential election but his producers.  Stone seems to think it's more realistic to get it into theaters pre-inauguration but still perhaps after the election while the producers seem to be driving hard for a pre-election October release date. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:02:39 PM »

I'm not a Bush supporter, but I think it's in poor taste to throw it to the theaters pre-election. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »

I will say that after reading the EW article I don't have a lot of confidence in the film.  Stone seems to be doing this as a lark.  He seems pretty dismissive of the movie kind of makes pains to separate this film from the more serious "message" movies that he did like Nixon.  It almost sounds more like U-Turn.

I hope this doesn't jeopardize Josh Brolin's recent resurgence. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 02:27:19 PM »

I'm not sure how it would effect the election since Bush isn't running in November.  That being said Micheal Moore did his best to keep Bush out of the White House in 2004 and it didn't work.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Electronic Dan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 02:53:53 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on May 12, 2008, 01:28:04 PM

Is it okay for a film maker to use his/her power and influence to make a film that is intentionally meant to alter the course of a U.S. presidential election?

Is it ok to schedule an election that is intentionally meant to inflate profits for a movie?  slywink

As long as there's enough time before the election to address/counter/confirm/debate whatever issues are raised in the movie, I think it's fine.  I suspect it's more about profit than influencing the election, though.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »

My first instinct here is that if the film is 100% accurate in it's portrayal of Bush and company, then it probably shouldn't matter when it's released. Truth is truth. But if it's inaccurate, and intentionally makes Bush look worse than he is (maybe like snorting lines of coke off the desk in the Oval), then it would be in extremely poor taste to show it ever, and especially before the election, as it then becomes just another propaganda piece.

I'm just hoping they got Will Ferrell to play Bush smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 03:29:36 PM »

if Dubayah was running for re-election then I can see where there might be an issue, but unless it has McCain in every other scene I don't think it's going to effect anything.  Besides, it's an Oliver Stone movie, so it'll probably bomb over here.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:38:32 PM »

As someone who likes Bush, and leans conservative, yes, it's OK to me for a film maker to make any kind of movie any time he wishes.

My prediction is it will be a huge stinking turd just like all the Iraq movies that Hollywood was so stupid to think would work.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 12, 2008, 02:27:19 PM

I'm not sure how it would effect the election since Bush isn't running in November.  That being said Micheal Moore did his best to keep Bush out of the White House in 2004 and it didn't work.

I immediately thought of Michael Moore. I seriously doubt that his self-centered, obvious agenda movies have very much impact beyond the choir that goes to hear him preach. Oliver Stone might work on a bigger scale, but I think the same principle applies. He's unlikely to change very many people's opinions of George W Bush, and even that will have only an indirect effect on John McCain's prospects.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 07:46:16 PM »

By now I'm sure everyone knows about Oliver Stone's new movie called "W" about George W. Bush and friends. The film reportedly portrays him as a drunken, foul mouthed daddy's boy with tons of issues who treats the White House like a frat house. Now, some of us here agree with that description and some of us here disagree with that description. Stone intends to release the film in time for the November election. Here's my question and it is honestly non-partisan based:

Discuss.

In my opinion it's fine.  How is a film meant to impact an election any different than a radio show, a news article or a campaign poster?  Where would YOU draw the line on the first amendment?
Electronic Dan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 08:19:07 PM »

Quote from: Geezer on May 12, 2008, 07:46:16 PM

In my opinion it's fine.  How is a film meant to impact an election any different than a radio show, a news article or a campaign poster?  Where would YOU draw the line on the first amendment?

About 100 feet from a polling place?  icon_wink
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »

I don't think that releasing the movie in November will mean much to the election.  If nothing else, Stone has lost a lot of people with his some of his recent films and he's not exactly known for his accuracy when dealing with historical subjects.  The only people that might be swayed politically by this film probably aren't voting Republican anyway.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 04:13:57 AM »

My question is, who wants to pay the price of admission to see a movie about a person we're all sick of seeing anyway?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 08:08:29 PM »

Of course it's okay.  I would refer you to the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Political speech is generally intended to influence the course of an election.  This is nothign special.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 08:33:47 PM »

It's pretty preposterous to believe that an Oliver Stone movie would even begin to approximate the truth.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 08:52:16 PM »

Regardless of whether it's the truth or not, I don't care.  I'm not spending $10 or wasting two hours of my life to learn more about the biggest fucktard to ever sully the White House.  I wouldn't piss on Bush if he were on fire...why would I want to see a movie, even an unflattering one, about this asshole?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: