http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:10:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zune update  (Read 3056 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »

I know a few of you other guys jumped on the cheap Zune deals from Woot the last month or so, and I figured it was my duty to let you know that their new updates for the Zune software, marketplace and device firmware are out now.  Basically just start your Zune software and it should update, or else you can go here to download it

I haven't messed around with it too much (it spent a bit of time updating all my albums and resync-ing and all that crap), but it seems quite a bit different so I will have to relearn it all.  Suck. 

One thing that is kind of neat, although how useful it will really be, is that they have their new Zune Social thing online and you get a "Zune Card" that is basically the same thing as your GamerCard for XBox Live.  In fact, if you use the same Passport account it already has those friends on the friends list for that.   

Time will tell how much better this version is, but I'm just happy that they are supporting the "old" 30GB models with the new firmware and features. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:15:15 PM »

FWIW my Zune 30 updated this a.m. and seems to navigate much snappier.  Before it'd hitch every now and then when I was scrolling through lists.  It seems to pull the info off the hard drive much better now.

The actual new Zune PC software is pretty damn slick.  What I used this morning convinced me that this should have been there from the start instead of the clunky old Zune software.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:30:43 PM »

Well my update kind of screwed up a lot of my albums.  It screwed up a bunch of my album covers, replacing them with the covers from other bands and stuff.  On top of that it seems to have copied some albums in with other albums.  For instance, one album from The Black Keys also contains all of the songs from The Good, The Bad & The Queen. After the update and resync I went from 12GB on there to 22GB.   That's just freaking great.

On the plus side I do like the new interface on the Zune itself.  They even fixed my one problem with it, which was when you sorted by Artists it would list every artist from every album rather than just the band name on the album if there was specific data on some songs.  You can switch it back to the old way, but no way in hell would I do that. 

Kratz
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:14:26 PM »

Sounds like you clicked the 'update all of my collection' option when you installed the new software...

So far I'm loving all of the changes.  The desktop software is miles better than it was before, and the device software is just cleaner and faster.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:25:26 PM »

is the initial menu like HUGE now on all of yours?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 08:40:46 PM »

Quote from: drifter on November 13, 2007, 08:25:26 PM

is the initial menu like HUGE now on all of yours?

Yup, from what I can tell, the menus and functionality are exactly the same as the Zune g2, which is very encouraging.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 13, 2007, 06:30:43 PM

They even fixed my one problem with it, which was when you sorted by Artists it would list every artist from every album rather than just the band name on the album if there was specific data on some songs.  You can switch it back to the old way, but no way in hell would I do that. 
Yeah that annoyed me.  I'm glad they fixed it.  I haven't tried wirelessly syncing yet and I'm not sure how much I'd use it.  Nice to know it's there I guess.
Kratz
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 09:12:17 PM »

The podcast subscription thing is new as well, isn't it?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 09:23:36 PM »

Quote from: Kratz on November 13, 2007, 09:12:17 PM

The podcast subscription thing is new as well, isn't it?

Yep but I haven't messed with it.  I'm guessing it's like iTunes in that you set up subscriptions, start up the Zune software and it downloads them and sync them to your device.

I like the PSP for podcasts as you can tell it what podcasts you want and it will turn itself on at say 4 a.m. and download them then turn itself off and they're waiting for you.  I don't do a lot of podcasts but I'll give the Zune's software a chance or two.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 10:48:20 PM »

Where in the heck is the EQ in the new Zune software (not the player itself)?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 04:11:17 AM »

Does anybody know of a way to delete my collection from the Zune software without having to delete all my files?  I couldn't find any other way to update the info for my whole library, unlike in the last version where it was a quick click away.  Actually, I can't even find a way to update a single album's info...the only option there is to update album art. 

SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 07:14:14 PM »

If you find that option, let me know...I noticed that my library got very confused when I upgraded the software.

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 07:33:33 PM »

I spent an hour trying to figure out tags last night.  My trusty MP3Tag program usually works wonders but no matter what I did it still displayed a couple of albums with tracks in odd order (like showing #11-17 first then after #17 it showed #1-10).  And it displays just fine in both iTunes and (bizarrely) Windows Media Player so I know nothings wonky with the tags.  Maybe I could just edit the tag in the Zune software so it sees the order corretly?  No because apparently there's no way to directly edit tag information from within the Zune software which drives me bananas.

The software is damn slick and snappy but little things like that drive me batshit crazy.

As far as deleting the collection from the library, I'd just move it temporarily to another place on the hard drive, select all artists in the Zune software and right click then delete.  Then I'd move them back and let the Zune software re-add them.

And I don't think there's an EQ in the Zune software.  They even removed it from the new Zune models.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 07:36:55 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 14, 2007, 07:33:33 PM

I spent an hour trying to figure out tags last night.  My trusty MP3Tag program usually works wonders but no matter what I did it still displayed a couple of albums with tracks in odd order (like showing #11-17 first then after #17 it showed #1-10).  And it displays just fine in both iTunes and (bizarrely) Windows Media Player so I know nothings wonky with the tags.  Maybe I could just edit the tag in the Zune software so it sees the order corretly?  No because apparently there's no way to directly edit tag information from within the Zune software which drives me bananas.

Change the 1-9 tracks to 01, 02, 03, etc. The way Windows 'organizes' numbers is that it ignores the fact that there's a second digit, and instead sorts by the first digit first.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 07:55:47 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 14, 2007, 04:11:17 AM

Does anybody know of a way to delete my collection from the Zune software without having to delete all my files?  I couldn't find any other way to update the info for my whole library, unlike in the last version where it was a quick click away.  Actually, I can't even find a way to update a single album's info...the only option there is to update album art. 

The first time that you try to delete a song/video/pic, the software should ask you if you want to delete from your library and your computer or just from the library (or something similar).  Try it with one file and see what it does.  If it deletes without warning, it means that it's cached your preference from the old software.  The only fix I can find in the software is:

• Go to the Settings(upper right corner)
  • Select General from the very bottom of the list on the left
  • Click on the Reset Warning Messages button

If you mess anything up, in the Settings splash page, there's a Restore files previously deleted from collection button.

Hope that helps...Rick
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »

Okay the Zune Card thing is kinda cool.  Here's me: http://social.zune.net/member/PDwarning
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 08:07:57 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 14, 2007, 08:03:49 PM

Okay the Zune Card thing is kinda cool.  Here's me: http://social.zune.net/member/PDwarning

There's nothing there!!!  smile

Check it out when you connect your Zune to the software and all that jazz:

Rick's Zune Card

It's really cool that you can preview songs that whatever person's profile you're looking at shows as latest plays.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 08:13:55 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 14, 2007, 08:07:57 PM

Quote from: warning on November 14, 2007, 08:03:49 PM

There's nothing there!!!  smile

That's weird.  I can see my stuff including recent albums, etc.  I wonder why you can't.

NM.  I had to change a privacy setting.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:15:27 PM by warning » Logged
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 08:19:11 PM »

We have very different tastes in music...  smile
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 08:19:32 PM »

I'm kinda digging the new firmware and software.  I wonder if I will die instantly or something if I admit that I actually like something Microsoft made?  I'lll say it:  I like the Zune and the Software that goes with it!  There I did it.  smile
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 08:21:09 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on November 14, 2007, 08:19:32 PM

I'm kinda digging the new firmware and software.  I wonder if I will die instantly or something if I admit that I actually like something Microsoft made?  I'lll say it:  I like the Zune and the Software that goes with it!  There I did it.  smile

did you die?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 08:25:59 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 14, 2007, 08:19:11 PM

Probably not that different.  I've listened to Metallica, Iron Maiden, STP, Soundgarden, etc a bunch.  I'm just trying out this Zune Pass thing and branching out to the more "eclectic" stuff out there.

But seriously check out "Two Times" by The Blakes: http://www.myspace.com/theblakes  I think you'll like it.

deadzone - I like it too.  Some complaints certainly but overall I'm impressed.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 08:33:24 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 14, 2007, 08:25:59 PM

Probably not that different.  I've listened to Metallica, Iron Maiden, STP, Soundgarden, etc a bunch.  I'm just trying out this Zune Pass thing and branching out to the more "eclectic" stuff out there.

But seriously check out "Two Times" by The Blakes: http://www.myspace.com/theblakes  I think you'll like it.

I really hate that MySpace player.  It let me listen to their first song and nothing else would load.  PoS...and that WAS a pretty cool song.

How do you feel about classical?  I like the dark, piano classical.  I don't have any on my Zune at the moment, but Frederic Chopin's Nocturnes are amazing, if you're into it.

P.S. as far as new features are concerned, one thing that I LOATHED about the old software was that if you connected your Zune, it would reset whatever music you were playing.  That would drive me nuts!!!  Anyway, I'm glad to see that that's been fixed.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:36:02 PM by rickfc » Logged
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 09:50:37 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 14, 2007, 08:33:24 PM

How do you feel about classical?  I like the dark, piano classical.  I don't have any on my Zune at the moment, but Frederic Chopin's Nocturnes are amazing, if you're into it.

Cool.  I'll have to check it out.  Been awhile since I listened to classical.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 09:58:06 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 14, 2007, 08:21:09 PM

Quote from: deadzone on November 14, 2007, 08:19:32 PM

did you die?

Heh, I did not!  Liking something MS does will not kill you this has been confirmed by me personally.  smile
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 10:00:42 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 14, 2007, 08:25:59 PM

Quote from: rickfc on November 14, 2007, 08:19:11 PM

I'm glad it's not just me!  This makes me think that I need to set up my passport thingy or whatever it is, sounds like a neato way to find some new music!  Anyone try the Zune Pass for any amount of time and have some feedback about it they want to share?  I have been mulling signing up for it and dropping my Netflix subscription down to 1 at a time or even completely since I barely use it lately. 
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 10:09:17 PM »

Just done the Zune Pass for the past 3 or so weeks since I got my Zune so I'm still in the honeymoon phase.  But I love it.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 02:04:32 AM »

Maybe this is a stupid question... when I have the Zune plugged in to my PC to charge the screen stays on (albeit dim).  Is there any way to get it to turn off?  I would think it would charge faster if it were off.

Also, I'm thinking of getting some kind of dock and AC adapter so I can just drop it in the dock when I get home and it can sync over wifi when it feels like it.  Does any one know if the screen stays on all the time if it's plugged in to AC power?  If it does, it seems like a waste of power an unnecessary wear on the screen.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 03:34:25 AM »

Quote from: deadzone on November 14, 2007, 09:58:06 PM

Heh, I did not!  Liking something MS does will not kill you this has been confirmed by me personally.  smile

Good...I was starting to worry there for a minute!  smile  Also, it lets me admit that I really like the new software so far.  It's SO much better than iTunes, imo.  My wife insisted on the iPod, and I can't stand it when I have to help her sync because it's such a pain in the ass...

Quote from: egrudzin on November 15, 2007, 02:04:32 AM

Maybe this is a stupid question... when I have the Zune plugged in to my PC to charge the screen stays on (albeit dim).  Is there any way to get it to turn off?  I would think it would charge faster if it were off.

Also, I'm thinking of getting some kind of dock and AC adapter so I can just drop it in the dock when I get home and it can sync over wifi when it feels like it.  Does any one know if the screen stays on all the time if it's plugged in to AC power?  If it does, it seems like a waste of power an unnecessary wear on the screen.

I've had my Zune for 5 or 6 months, and the screen stays on whenever it's plugged in.  I don't know that there's anything you can do about that.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 05:12:05 AM »

Quote from: rickfc on November 14, 2007, 07:55:47 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 14, 2007, 04:11:17 AM

The first time that you try to delete a song/video/pic, the software should ask you if you want to delete from your library and your computer or just from the library (or something similar).  Try it with one file and see what it does.  If it deletes without warning, it means that it's cached your preference from the old software.  The only fix I can find in the software is:

• Go to the Settings(upper right corner)
  • Select General from the very bottom of the list on the left
  • Click on the Reset Warning Messages button

If you mess anything up, in the Settings splash page, there's a Restore files previously deleted from collection button.

Hope that helps...Rick

Yeah, I've tried that, but I just don't want to have to go through my 235 albums one by one deleting every other song, especially considering I just spent several hours last weekend ripping them from CDs.  I was hoping there was a way to just delete it's library and tell it to update from my foldersagain.  I even tried uninstalling the Zune software but when I reinstalled it it still had all the albums in there. 

Also, I can't find a way to get this new software to do the "Update Album Info" thing that you used to be able to do by just right clicking on something.  All it does now is allow you to change the cover art by searching your desktop when it used to update all data using the CDDB info. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 05:17:11 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 15, 2007, 05:12:05 AM

Yeah, I've tried that, but I just don't want to have to go through my 235 albums one by one deleting every other song, especially considering I just spent several hours last weekend ripping them from CDs.  I was hoping there was a way to just delete it's library and tell it to update from my foldersagain.  I even tried uninstalling the Zune software but when I reinstalled it it still had all the albums in there. 

Also, I can't find a way to get this new software to do the "Update Album Info" thing that you used to be able to do by just right clicking on something.  All it does now is allow you to change the cover art by searching your desktop when it used to update all data using the CDDB info. 

Once you figure out that you're deleting the songs from the library only, then you can just CTRL+A and delete all of your library.  Another route you can go is to uninstall the software using Revo Uninstaller which allows you to remove any and all Registry entries after the Zune software is uninstalled.  This will probably remove any reference to your library therefore allowing you to import everything again.  Good luck!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 05:38:09 AM »

Thanks for the help, Rick!  I did end up just selecting all albums and deleting them from the library.  Of course after I did that it wouldn't find those albums any more even if I removed and added the folders it it supposed to search.  I had to grab all of those and drag-n-drop them onto the Zune window.  That seems to have solved the extra song problem.  Now to get the correct album art back on the right albums. 

I'm baffled that they got rid of (or hid) my most used features with the Update Album Info and Update Info for All Albums.  I don't want to have to download album art and add it myself for everything...that used to be something it would do automatically. 

Kratz
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 07:06:49 AM »

I think I have a problem with mine... it really is not holding a charge at all.. it is supposed to be able to *play* for 14 hours, right?

Mine is dying over the course of an afternoon of NOT playing.

And yes, I have wireless turned off.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 08:37:26 AM »

Are you sure you are actually turning it off by holding the Play/Pause button long enough and not just letting it pause?  I had that happen a couple times and it died pretty quickly.  You may also want to hit the "Hold" switch thing up top to make sure it's not getting bumped and turned back on. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 03:29:33 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 15, 2007, 05:38:09 AM

Thanks for the help, Rick!  I did end up just selecting all albums and deleting them from the library.  Of course after I did that it wouldn't find those albums any more even if I removed and added the folders it it supposed to search.  I had to grab all of those and drag-n-drop them onto the Zune window.  That seems to have solved the extra song problem.  Now to get the correct album art back on the right albums. 

I'm baffled that they got rid of (or hid) my most used features with the Update Album Info and Update Info for All Albums.  I don't want to have to download album art and add it myself for everything...that used to be something it would do automatically. 

I never liked the way that the Zune software did album info.  I use Media Monkey to update my MP3's.  It lets you search Amazon's database and update the file info and album artwork that way with just a couple of mouse clicks.  I highly recommend doing that.  The Zune software reads the tags and artwork with no problem.  Hope that helps...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 04:55:49 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a try.  I never had a problem with the old way that the Zune updated albums.  I also liked the fact that you could set it to rename your music files in accordance with your ripping settings so even if they came from different sources they were all uniform.  Now you can't even set your ripping settings as far as I can see.  It's like half of the shit is just gone. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 05:22:39 PM »

Media Monkey is a lot more user-friendly for managing your library.  I used the Zune software mainly for uploading to Zune.  You can upload to different MP3 players with MM, but as of last check, Zune compatibility was still a no-show.  Once that happens, I may not use the Zune software at all, even though the new one is really purrty...
Kratz
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 12:00:17 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 15, 2007, 08:37:26 AM

Are you sure you are actually turning it off by holding the Play/Pause button long enough and not just letting it pause?  I had that happen a couple times and it died pretty quickly.  You may also want to hit the "Hold" switch thing up top to make sure it's not getting bumped and turned back on. 

Yeah... and even if I was not, they say it should *play* for like 14 hours, right?  Sitting there on pause for 2 or 3 hours shouldn't kill it... it is sitting in my car with nobody touching it at all.

I did an experiment today... left it in the car, made SURE it was off, and went about my day. I'm going to go check it now.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 02:34:48 AM »

If all else fails, Kratz, they do still have the 1 year warranty so you should be able to send it in and get the battery replaced.  It sucks to have to do that right away, but better than having to pay for it I guess.

I'm not sure that I would say my battery life is 14 hours either, but I haven't tested it.  It just seems like it goes down to half charge after a couple days of using it when I'm driving, which might be 4 hours or so. 

Kratz
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2007, 06:58:27 AM »

I listened to mine for 3 hours tonight and it got down from 100% charged to almost gone...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: