http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 01:07:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zune software update 3.0  (Read 3764 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »

Alright, so I own a Zune, and I've been waiting awhile for an update that actually adds something significant to the device...and 3.0 looks interesting!

First, official game support.  In fact, 3.0 comes with Hexic and Texas Hold 'Em for free!  Swa-eet!

One interesting feature is how you can "tag" a song on FM radio, and if available on the Zune Marketplace, you can download it.  And now you can actually visit the Marketplace on the device itself.

Sorta neat, eh? 

Is anybody going to burn their iPod and switch to the Zune revolution!?

Or just dust off their Zune and give this update a whirl?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:50:48 PM by TheMissingLink » Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »

I'll definitely give the update a whirl.

When does it come out?

I've quite enjoyed my Zune.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 03:49:35 PM »

It's out already - new update to the Zune player as well.

This is all most useful if you subscribe to the Zune pass.  You can sync channels created specifically based on your tastes (like Pandora, I guess), and sync those to your device.  Similarly, if you tag a radio song, you can just download it.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »

whoo hoo.  been waitin' on this one.  unfortunately, i didn't hook up my zune to my computer on my out the door this morning so the device update will have to wait until I get home tonight.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:09:11 PM »

Observation about my Zune:  When they introduced the idea of syncing other people's Zune cards (thus giving you playlists of your friends' most recent 10 songs each time you synced), I thought it was genius.  Unfortunately, it turns out that my friends have horrible taste in music.

That's been somewhat rectified by the new channel system - y'all should all check out the KEXP channel which takes the greatest radio station in the world and pushes that music directly into your Zune.  Hooray!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 16, 2008, 04:09:11 PM

Observation about my Zune:  When they introduced the idea of syncing other people's Zune cards (thus giving you playlists of your friends' most recent 10 songs each time you synced), I thought it was genius.  Unfortunately, it turns out that my friends have horrible taste in music.

That's been somewhat rectified by the new channel system - y'all should all check out the KEXP channel which takes the greatest radio station in the world and pushes that music directly into your Zune.  Hooray!

http://social.zune.net/member/meeeeeeoooooow

This cat has awesome taste in music.  Add me as a friend biggrin

(I plan on using my Zune much more often)

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 04:42:18 PM »

Done - please make sure to only listen to music that I'll like.  No more Hannah Montana, k? slywink
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 04:44:38 PM »

I can't wait to try this out. I love my Zune 80.

Feel free to add me as a friend: http://social.zune.net/member/CaptCaveOO
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 04:49:14 PM »

Downloaded it this morning. Like it so far, though I probably won't use most of the new features since I don't have a Zune Pass or use the Marketplace much. 

However, the games addition is pretty nifty, and there is now a setting to add a clock to the display which is great. I also like that the Social stuff is integrated directly into the device now.

I think the best thing about it is that it proves Microsoft's commitment to supporting older hardware via software updates. I'm very happy with my Zune purchase knowing I don't have to fret about a new one coming along in 6 months that renders mine totally obsolete.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »

I love my Zune! Whether I'm using the Zune itself, or just the software on my laptop at work with the music pass (as I'm doing right now), I've gotten a ton of use out of it over the past couple of months. I'll have to remember to DL the update when I get home.

Please add me to the friends pool smile

http://social.zune.net/member/fyedaddy

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:09:29 PM »

One thing to note - peeps will also show up in your Xbox friends list (for those of you who've linked their gamertag to the Zune).

So, yes, you'll be able to listen to the bad musical choices of your online opponents as well. slywink
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:15:34 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 16, 2008, 04:49:14 PM

and there is now a setting to add a clock to the display which is great.

it's about freakin' time!   icon_biggrin

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 05:48:33 PM »

It IS about time. Literally.

Does it have a compass in the stock?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 05:57:22 PM »

Quote from: kratz on September 16, 2008, 05:48:33 PM

It IS about time. Literally.

Does it have a compass in the stock?

careful with that zune, ralphie...you'll blow your ears out

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 07:51:17 PM »

Not to go on and on about the clock, but I do love that it is unobtrusive. I was half-expecting some big-ass 36-point Arial font, but it's a very tiny little display in the upper right. It's almost cute.

I'll shut up now.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 08:08:03 PM »

I like it so far...  I'm going through marking favorites...

I did notice that it has labeled things as my top artists that I don't have (like Timbaland, wtf?), and under recent is is identifying Giraffes songs by the wrong names, and associating them with the wrong artist (Laundry? who the fuck is Laundry?)... though I suppose that could be an issue with the tagging and the names of the songs in the CDDB, because while it recognized that album when I ripped it, it didn't get the songs correct...

You also can't mark something as a favorite if it isn't in their database, I guess?  I have come across a few albums that won't let me mark a song a favorite...
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 08:21:28 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 16, 2008, 03:43:45 PM

Is anybody going to burn their iPod and switch to the Zune revolution!?

If you replace "burn" with "accidentally smash," then yes, this is exactly what I did last Sunday.

I'm very pleased that Microsoft decided to update their software in honor of my joining.   thumbsup

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 10:02:17 PM »

Woohoo, I love seeing this support for the full line of Zunes!

Feel free to add me to your friends list:  http://social.zune.net/member/Engine+Nine  (I don't think it catches playlists correctly since I usually go a couple weeks between syncing it to my home PC, but I use it daily at work)

Sandwiches do fix everything.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 10:57:40 PM »

What the heck: http://social.zune.net/member/RoadMunkey

It's pretty awesome this stuff all works with all players back to the first gen.  My 20Gig is really happy right now.  Is there any way to add games other than the ones already on there?  Don't see an option in the software.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 11:31:37 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on September 16, 2008, 03:43:45 PM

One interesting feature is how you can "tag" a song on FM radio, and if available on the Zune Marketplace, you can download it.  And now you can actually visit the Marketplace on the device itself.

that's a cool feature, but an evil, evil, EVIL one too.  I have Shazbot on the iPhone, and have been tagging songs for free, but it has led to me grabbing more songs off of iTunes than I normally would.  I found you can do tagging with songs in movies too, as long as the clip plays long enough.  It's how I found out what song was playing in the latest Max Payne trailer.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »

My question:  Why can't they add a shuffle function to playlists???  Or even to an album?  Or an artist?  WOuld that be so hard to do???
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 06:17:23 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on September 17, 2008, 05:53:33 PM

My question:  Why can't they add a shuffle function to playlists???  Or even to an album?  Or an artist?  WOuld that be so hard to do???

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but isn't that option under "settings:music"?

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on September 17, 2008, 06:17:23 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but isn't that option under "settings:music"?

Ah.  So I have an option to turn on a permanant shuffle mode, and from there the playlists, albums, etc will always shuffle.  Not quite as elegant as having an option at the top of the playlist that said "shuffle" but I can live with it.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 06:27:16 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on September 17, 2008, 06:21:48 PM

Ah.  So I have an option to turn on a permanant shuffle mode, and from there the playlists, albums, etc will always shuffle.  Not quite as elegant as having an option at the top of the playlist that said "shuffle" but I can live with it.

I'm confused.   icon_confused  I'm looking at my zune right now and at the top of every section except playlists are the words "Shuffle All".  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for?

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 17, 2008, 06:27:16 PM

Quote from: hentzau on September 17, 2008, 06:21:48 PM

I'm confused.   icon_confused  I'm looking at my zune right now and at the top of every section except playlists are the words "Shuffle All".  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for?

Right.  You can shuffle an entire section.  However, I have a playlist called "Big Band Music" and I would like to be able to shuffle that by going into the playlist and clicking the little "Shuffle All" option at the top of that playlist.  Unfortunately, that little "Shuffle All" option isn't there.  Nor is it there for you to shuffle a specific album.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »

ah, you're talking about playlists only (and albums, artists, etc. found in playlists).  now i get it.

yeah...no...nothin' like that that i can find.

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 06:42:20 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 17, 2008, 06:35:41 PM

ah, you're talking about playlists only (and albums, artists, etc. found in playlists).  now i get it.

yeah...no...nothin' like that that i can find.

What kadnod suggested works OK.  It puts the Zune into permanant shuffle mode, so if want to listen to an album as god intended, I need to remember to turn it off.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »

One thing I would like to see is a "Random album" button.  I want the ease of shuffle/random, but I want it to play a whole album (in order) when I do that. 

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 09:46:43 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on September 16, 2008, 04:49:14 PM

I'm very happy with my Zune purchase knowing I don't have to fret about a new one coming along in 6 months that renders mine totally obsolete.

Unlike a certain product starting with "I" and ending with "pod"  smile

Don't get me interested in a Zune guys! One question-does it have bluetooth?  I've decided that Bluetooth is a must this generation.  Dealing with tangled up wires is SO 80's and 90's.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 09:49:44 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 17, 2008, 09:46:43 PM

Don't get me interested in a Zune guys! One question-does it have bluetooth?  I've decided that Bluetooth is a must this generation.  Dealing with tangled up wires is SO 80's and 90's.

No bluetooth - but it does sync via wifi.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 17, 2008, 07:52:56 PM

One thing I would like to see is a "Random album" button.  I want the ease of shuffle/random, but I want it to play a whole album (in order) when I do that. 

Fun idea!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 05:05:06 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 17, 2008, 09:49:44 PM

Hmm I don't care about the wires when synching (although that is a really nice feature).  I just want to be able to take the player out of my briefcase and not spend the next 2 minutes trying to unravel the wires.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 02:59:29 PM »

I REALLY want to join the Zune bandwagon, but it is missing two vital items:

1) Xvid support (considering that the xbox supports this, I'm surprised Zune doesn't. And I'm not about to reformat a terabyte of video.
2) Act like a normal hard drive

Until then, I'll be updating to the remarkable Archos 5
http://www.amazon.com/Archos-60-Internet-Media-Tablet/dp/B001D06BWC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221836327&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:02:57 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 18, 2008, 05:05:06 AM

Quote from: Brendan on September 17, 2008, 09:49:44 PM

Hmm I don't care about the wires when synching (although that is a really nice feature).  I just want to be able to take the player out of my briefcase and not spend the next 2 minutes trying to unravel the wires.

What wires?  You mean headphones? The only time my zune is plugged into a non-syncing wire is when it's plugged into the 1/4" jack on my car stereo.  At home it goes in a dock.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 07:10:23 PM »

this is me:
http://social.zune.net/member/RomyBolognaPony

I have no idea where it got some of the most played songs from?  eek

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »

Did they add a "resume" option to audio files? Similar to how if you pause a video file and then go back to the video file later it gives you the ability to play it from where you last stopped. This would be really handy with audio books that have hour long files.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2008, 02:29:17 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on October 03, 2008, 10:00:12 PM

Did they add a "resume" option to audio files? Similar to how if you pause a video file and then go back to the video file later it gives you the ability to play it from where you last stopped. This would be really handy with audio books that have hour long files.

You could always do this with songs so I can't imagine why you wouldn't be albe to with other audio on there. 

egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 03:01:19 AM »

Don't know about audio books but you have been able to do this with podcasts since 2.0.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 03:12:14 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 04, 2008, 02:29:17 AM

You could always do this with songs so I can't imagine why you wouldn't be albe to with other audio on there. 

How do you do this for songs?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2008, 07:55:03 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on October 04, 2008, 03:12:14 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 04, 2008, 02:29:17 AM

How do you do this for songs?

Just use the Play/Pause button.  You turn off the Zune by holding the Pause button for 3 seconds, and when you hit Play to turn it on it should resume from where you were.  If you were navigating the menus when it turned on just hit the back button until you get to the current play screen and you can hit play to continue from where you left off.  If it didn't resume where you left off I would think much less of it as a media device. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: