http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 03:51:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zappos Hacked  (Read 421 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:36:51 AM »

info on 24 million customers may have been accessed.  no full credit card numbers though:

Online retailer Zappos.com is telling 24 million customers that their personal information has been hacked, and forcing all of them to reset their passwords.  Cyber criminals may have accessed customers' names, e-mail addresses, billing and shipping addresses, phone number, and the last four digits of consumers' credit card numbers, the firm said in an announcement that was posted on Zappos' Web site late Sunday night.  Full credit card numbers were not stolen, the firm said, because they were stored separately.

they're also gearing up to deal with the shitstorm of customer inquiries:

Anticipating a flood of customer service calls in response to the notification e-mail, Zappos is taking the unusual step of turning off its customer service telephone lines and forcing consumers with questions to send them in via e-mail.

"Due to the volume of inquiries we are expecting, we realized that we could serve the most customers by answering their questions by email," Hsieh said in a note to employees, also posted on the firm's Web page. "We have made the hard decision to temporarily turn off our phones and direct customers to contact us by email because our phone systems simply aren't capable of handling so much volume. (If 5% of our customers call, that would be over 1 million phone calls, most of which would not even make it into our phone system in the first place.) "

Hsieh said the firm would have "all hands on deck," to help customers with questions.

I've never shopped there, but I do remember some GTers mentioning they have.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »

I dread the day they hack "www .grannylovers .com".  They'll get all my credit card info!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »

Yeah, they apparently got my info.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:18:33 PM »

I'm always just amazed people buy shoes on the Internet.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »

Good prices, free returns for a year I believe....why wouldn't I buy from them?

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 16, 2012, 05:18:33 PM

Zappos is a company that makes it even easier than going to the store.  Even if it's a brand where I don't know my size, I can order two or three pairs and return the ones that don't fit OR I can just do them one at a time.  With the way they ship, even if I did them one at a time I could conceivably try three different sizes in a bit over a week at most.

They are spectacular.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 16, 2012, 05:30:29 PM

Zappos is a company that makes it even easier than going to the store.  Even if it's a brand where I don't know my size, I can order two or three pairs and return the ones that don't fit OR I can just do them one at a time.  With the way they ship, even if I did them one at a time I could conceivably try three different sizes in a bit over a week at most.

They are spectacular.

Or I could go to the store and get my shoes right then and know they fit perfectly.  Granted, I don't really buy many shoes and the only ones I truly care about are my running ones, which means I like to go to the running store so they can video record my running to make sure I am striking right.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:55:50 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 16, 2012, 05:45:18 PM

Quote from: gellar on January 16, 2012, 05:30:29 PM

Zappos is a company that makes it even easier than going to the store.  Even if it's a brand where I don't know my size, I can order two or three pairs and return the ones that don't fit OR I can just do them one at a time.  With the way they ship, even if I did them one at a time I could conceivably try three different sizes in a bit over a week at most.

They are spectacular.

Or I could go to the store and get my shoes right then and know they fit perfectly.  Granted, I don't really buy many shoes and the only ones I truly care about are my running ones, which means I like to go to the running store so they can video record my running to make sure I am striking right.

I buy a lot of shoes smile.  The issue with a lot of mens dress shoes (Ecco, Allen Edmonds, Ferragamo) is that in my case I would buy them directly from the brand stores in SF (as it's the most convenient option).  Often times, as these stores don't have a ton of space and are located in a high traffic shopping area (Union Square), the size I need in the color I require is not available.  Zappos makes the process much easier.  It also saves me from having to drive/park at Union Square which is something that typically would drive me to rage.

As far as running shoes go, I've worn the same brand since I was 15 or 16 so sizing isn't an issue there.  I've even worn the same model of shoe for a solid 10 years straight.  It's just a matter of 'oh, my current shoes are no longer adequate time to order the new model'.  Two minutes later, I get an order confirmation and a new pair of shoes at my office in a day or so.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 06:05:08 PM »

Why not? For me, if I'm buying a new pair of Puma shoes, I'll order from there. 10.5 is my size with that brand, so I have no problems. Why would I want to go to a B&M store with a shittier selection and a not-as-good return policy?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 06:23:17 PM »

so you've now convinced me that it was a good site to buy from.  great, except for the whole hacking thing. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 16, 2012, 06:23:17 PM

so you've now convinced me that it was a good site to buy from.  great, except for the whole hacking thing. 

+1

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:37:09 PM »

They were hacked but no CC info was compromised. They immediately locked down all the accounts and are forcing password changes. I'm good with the steps they took to correct it.

Something similar happened with monoprice.com a year or so ago, and they changed their site security and I continued to shop there with nary a problem.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 06:38:20 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on January 16, 2012, 06:37:09 PM

They were hacked but no CC info was compromised. They immediately locked down all the accounts and are forcing password changes. I'm good with the steps they took to correct it.

Something similar happened with monoprice.com a year or so ago, and they changed their site security and I continued to shop there with nary a problem.

Ditto.  They did all they could.  Gonna order a new pair of shoes today, actually.

Candidly, I'm of the opinion that it's generally speaking a matter of when, not if for anyone to get haxx0red.

Disclaimer: This is an opinion of my own and not necessarily that of my employer.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »

Yeah I love Zappos and have shopped there for several years.  I've bought a bunch from them including shirts, bags, running pants, hats, and shoes.  About the only thing I don't feel comfortable buying online are jeans.  Free returns helps a ton on a clothing site of course.  But the main thing they do really well is blazingly fast shipping.  Your order almost always gets automatically upgraded, and it's rare that I don't see an order from them arrive the day after I place it.  It would take something pretty awful for me to stop shopping there.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »

I ordered some ice sculptures from their site years ago but they sent me a box full of water instead.  Never again I said.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 10:51:58 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 16, 2012, 09:23:46 PM

I ordered some ice sculptures from their site years ago but they sent me a box full of water instead.  Never again I said.
They should have packed it in ice for you.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: