http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 05:56:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Search is Over: The Best BBQ Sauce In the Universe Has Been Found  (Read 4145 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »

That is all.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:17:53 PM »

I choose to disagree.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 05:21:06 PM »

Does it use high fructose corn syrup? If so, that's an automatic fail.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 12, 2009, 05:21:06 PM

Survey says.

>DING<

Number 1 answer!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »

Yep. Unfortunately, it's the first ingredient. frown
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 05:38:57 PM »

Kevin Grey should ban SL for such a statement.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 05:40:10 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 12, 2009, 05:21:06 PM

+1.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 05:50:35 PM »

This in Ontario.
http://www.dianasauce.com/

Grace: Unmerited favor.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 05:53:05 PM »

WTF ingredients in bold

Sweet Baby Ray's Original:
High Fructose Corn Syrup, Distilled Vinegar, Tomato Paste, Modified Food Starch, Contains less than 2% of: Salt, Pineapple Juice, Natural Smoke Flavor, Spices, Caramel, Color, Sodium Benzoate as a Preservative, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Dried Garlic, Sugar, Tamarind Natural Flavor

Bone Suckin' Sauce:
tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, honey, molasses, mustard, horseradish, lemon juice, onions, garlic, peppers, natural hickory smoke, natural spices and salt

Bulls-Eye:
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Sugar, Molasses, Vinegar, Salt, contains Less than 2% of Modified Food Starch, Natural Smoke Flavor, Mustard Flour, Dried Onions, Spice, Dried Garlic.

Bone Suckin' Sauce is getting easier and easier to find and they've got an awesome dry rub as well.  Bulls-Eye you can find anywhere.

I'd expect the best bbq sauce in the universe to be much harder to obtain than any of these three.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »

This is the best stuff I've found in stores.  No high fructose corn syrup either.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 06:08:33 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on August 12, 2009, 06:01:13 PM

This is the best stuff I've found in stores.  No high fructose corn syrup either.

I like Stubb's but while they proudly advertise "no high fructose corn syrup!" they instead use regular corn syrup.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 06:26:22 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 12, 2009, 05:50:35 PM

OMG yes. This is all I've used for about as long as I can remember. Awesome stuff.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »

There's a Sweet Baby Ray's Restaurant around here. We've been to it twice now. I gave their ribs two chances but both times they were pretty lame, even with the sauce. However their Onion Strings appetizer with the BBQ sauce is fantastic and is probably enough to get us to go there a third time.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »

Sweet Baby Ray's is foul. FOUL. It should barely be considered sauce, and now where near best of anything.
Stubb's a good store brand to buy.

If you can get Gate's sauce out of Kansas City you are rocking it.

Even though I do not like Famous Dave's food, the company's sauces are decent.

Sauer's makes an excellent basting/cooking sauce.

However, my Mom's family recipe is very difficult to beat, but I don't know if I could share that secret with everyone yet.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »

Stubb's is the best choice among the brands we can get here...  I dig it.  Stubb's pork marinade is also great for grilling.

My ribs sauce is still the best though.  The secret ingredient is ribs.

Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 08:19:33 PM »

Quote from: kratz on August 12, 2009, 07:27:42 PM

And that is how true BBQ should be... no sauce needed.  But I will admit I am a sauce junky but tend to use it on anything and everything that isn't really true BBQ.  I try to come home with something I haven't tried everytime I go to the grocery store.  I just wish we could get more regional flavors here than the usual tomatoe based sauces and the 1 or 2 mustard based that are on the shelves.  I would love to try a good white sauce and love the vinegar based carolina style sauces.  I definately like my sauces more spicy than extremely sweet.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 08:39:14 PM »

I use BBQ sauce sparingly when we go out to Smokey Bones, and then I prefer the "South Carolina" vinegar/mustard variety. If I must eat sweet BBQ sauce for some bizarre reason, molasses and brown sugar are permissible ingredients. Corn syrup based sauces are just glorified ketchup.

But 'cue is off the menu for me now. Famous Daves went out of business. Firefly's raised their prices and discontinued their shrimp po' boy. Smokey Bones' new menu removed the Lodge Salad (which was the only thing my vegetarian wife liked there) and introduced a truly sad approximation of a shrimp po' boy; their draft beer selection is so weak that the new menu dropped them off our list. That just leaves Tennessee's BBQ for takeout.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »

Quote from: Owain on August 12, 2009, 08:19:33 PM

Quote from: kratz on August 12, 2009, 07:27:42 PM

And that is how true BBQ should be... no sauce needed. 

I make a sauce with it, actually... but a lot of the sauce is coming from the ribs...  good old melted pork fat...
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 09:26:49 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 12, 2009, 08:39:14 PM

I use BBQ sauce sparingly when we go out to Smokey Bones, and then I prefer the "South Carolina" vinegar/mustard variety. If I must eat sweet BBQ sauce for some bizarre reason, molasses and brown sugar are permissible ingredients. Corn syrup based sauces are just glorified ketchup.

But 'cue is off the menu for me now. Famous Daves went out of business. Firefly's raised their prices and discontinued their shrimp po' boy. Smokey Bones' new menu removed the Lodge Salad (which was the only thing my vegetarian wife liked there) and introduced a truly sad approximation of a shrimp po' boy; their draft beer selection is so weak that the new menu dropped them off our list. That just leaves Tennessee's BBQ for takeout.

Famous Dave's must have just gone out of business near you, because it's most definitely alive and kicking in Northern Virginia.

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 09:54:19 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 12, 2009, 09:26:49 PM

Famous Dave's must have just gone out of business near you, because it's most definitely alive and kicking in Northern Virginia.

Its also very alive and open here in Minnesota in about a dozen or so locations near me.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 10:20:46 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on August 12, 2009, 05:09:51 PM

That is all.

thumbsup

Been using it for years. Welcome to the club.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 10:27:43 PM »

Stubbs is really good.  Sweet Baby Rays...well...you can buy it in a 3 pack at Costco.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 12:13:20 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 12, 2009, 10:27:43 PM

Sweet Baby Rays...well...you can buy it in a 3 pack at Costco.

If that doesn't serve to kill the quality of your sauce, I don't know what else will.

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 12:31:35 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on August 12, 2009, 07:22:48 PM

I love you.

Granted, having spent several of my formative years in KC I'm extremely biased, but I still contend that there is little better in this world that a huge sandwich full of hot, freshly sliced barbecued beef smothered in Gates' sauce.  A lot of KC-style sauces are really sweet (i.e. KC Masterpiece) but Gates adds just the perfect amount of heat and tanginess.  It's divine. 

If I could somehow smuggle in a bottle of Gates' sauce into an Arthur Bryant's restaurant (as their meat is better than Gates'), oh good lord.  I would die a happy man.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 01:00:06 AM »

Fructose or not, this is the best damn BBQ sauce ever!

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 01:12:06 AM »

I definitely prefer tang and heat over sweet so don't like the syrup ones.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 01:18:36 AM »

Quote from: brettmcd on August 12, 2009, 09:54:19 PM

Its also very alive and open here in Minnesota in about a dozen or so locations near me.

Famous Daves had the misfortune to open in a poor location at about the same time as three other nearby BBQ restaurants. Their main draw was $2 Sierra Nevada drafts in the bar. We stopped going when they ended that promotion.

I forgot to mention Redbones, the best BBQ in the Northeast. Redbones is a pilgrimage for us, an hour's subway ride (each way!) or a challenging drive with no parking. Since my wine-drinking vegetarian wife is not exactly the Redbones demographic, I don't get to go very often. We had an OO get-together there once, though.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 04:57:20 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 13, 2009, 01:18:36 AM

Quote from: brettmcd on August 12, 2009, 09:54:19 PM

Famous Daves had the misfortune to open in a poor location at about the same time as three other nearby BBQ restaurants. Their main draw was $2 Sierra Nevada drafts in the bar. We stopped going when they ended that promotion.

I forgot to mention Redbones, the best BBQ in the Northeast. Redbones is a pilgrimage for us, an hour's subway ride (each way!) or a challenging drive with no parking. Since my wine-drinking vegetarian wife is not exactly the Redbones demographic, I don't get to go very often. We had an OO get-together there once, though.

This thread is making me crave good BBQ.

Good thing I have some authentic SC BBQ in my freezer.

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 13, 2009, 01:12:06 AM

I definitely prefer tang and heat over sweet so don't like the syrup ones.

I completely agree.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 13, 2009, 04:57:20 AM

authentic SC BBQ

Please to be defining SC BBQ.
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 02:45:01 PM »

Ug.  I moved to DC from Saint Louis.  While DC is pretty cool, there are a couple of things I flat out miss from STL, this being one of them.

http://www.maull.com/

I need to have someone send me a few bottles of Maull's.  I am not claiming it is the best BBQ sauce ever but have been slathering it over STL style pork steaks for 30 years.  I do have to recommend if you pass through STL, pick up a bottle.  "Don't baste your barbecue, MAULL IT!"

Edit: HOLYSH!T!  On-line ordering! What will the internet think of next?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:47:59 PM by Rubyeye » Logged

omgz
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 02:56:19 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on August 13, 2009, 12:31:35 AM

Quote from: Tebunker on August 12, 2009, 07:22:48 PM

I love you.

Granted, having spent several of my formative years in KC I'm extremely biased, but I still contend that there is little better in this world that a huge sandwich full of hot, freshly sliced barbecued beef smothered in Gates' sauce.  A lot of KC-style sauces are really sweet (i.e. KC Masterpiece) but Gates adds just the perfect amount of heat and tanginess.  It's divine.  

If I could somehow smuggle in a bottle of Gates' sauce into an Arthur Bryant's restaurant (as their meat is better than Gates'), oh good lord.  I would die a happy man.

My wife lived in/near KC for a while and introduced me to Gates, Jack Stack, and Hayward's  I grew up with eastern NC BBQ sandwiches topped with slaw and Texas Pete.  It's a mixed marriage, but we're making it work.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:00:56 PM by Freezer-TPF- » Logged

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »

Have any of you tried a white BBQ sauce?  I never have, but I'm intrigued.  Here's a breakdown:

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

I have no idea how this tastes, but there seems to be some love for such a thing.  I really don't like mayonnaise, but can handle it when mixed like in tuna salad.  I might try this one day.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 03:30:58 PM »

There is a place called KT's in Boulder/Denver that's got great pulled pork sandwiches and stuff... they have a vinegar/hot sauce that is awesome.

But I can do sweet/hot too... the one I do is lots of chili powder and cayenne (and about 20 other things... including all those pork drippings) and I dig it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »

I'm jealous of all you guys who have good local BBQ.  we got jack shit around here other than a place called City BBQ, and the couple of times I've tried it their food has been horrible.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 03:58:38 PM »

Game Over, even growing up in the Kansas City area I never liked BBQ that much until this place came along, the sauce isn't a thick syrup but it isn't runny either.  What it is, is a spicy tangy treat for your ribs, turkey, beef or ham and combined with their beans can make for the best BBQ you'll eat.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 05:08:28 PM »

Please make your own BBQ sauce, it's cheaper and much better tasting.  Here's a start:

Reduce the following in a sauce pan to 1.5 cups, about 20 minutes

*  1 cup root beer
    * 1 cup ketchup
    * 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    * 1/4 cup orange juice
    * 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
    * 1 tablespoon mild-flavored (light) molasses
    * 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    * 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 06:35:12 PM »

Quote from: Z-Corn on August 13, 2009, 05:08:28 PM

Please make your own BBQ sauce, it's cheaper and much better tasting.  Here's a start:

Reduce the following in a sauce pan to 1.5 cups, about 20 minutes

*  1 cup root beer
    * 1 cup ketchup
    * 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    * 1/4 cup orange juice
    * 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
    * 1 tablespoon mild-flavored (light) molasses
    * 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    * 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon onion powder

I have heard of using Coke or Pepsi, but I have not heard of Root Beer in BBQ sauce before.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2009, 06:45:48 PM »

No cayenne.

Fail.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on August 13, 2009, 03:09:09 PM

Have any of you tried a white BBQ sauce?  I never have, but I'm intrigued.  Here's a breakdown:

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

I have no idea how this tastes, but there seems to be some love for such a thing.  I really don't like mayonnaise, but can handle it when mixed like in tuna salad.  I might try this one day.

I tried something like that on some chicken I grilled a month or so ago.  It had promise, but was runnier than I would have liked.  I need to tinker with it a little more.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: