http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 10:53:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YOUR favorite television series of all-time is...  (Read 3940 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2007, 02:49:34 PM »

After talking about Alias again in the Heroes thread, it got me thinking of this.  I think it's been quite some time since we've done it.

I'm guessing there are a lot of television shows out there that were excellent that I never got to watch, and I'm hoping this thread might introduce me to some of them.

So, with all the great television series' that have existed over the years, if someone held a gun to your head and made you choose your favorite, what would you choose?  Any year, and station, any run length, any genre is acceptable.  As long as it could be legitimately called a television series/show  [we probably shouldn't include miniseries (ie. Band of Brothers), to be fair.]

Again, please just pick one.  I know it's tough, but that's the point.  I don't think I have to point out there is no "right" answer.

My choice:  Firefly  (which by the way I would have never known about if it wasn't for the GT community)

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 02:51:07 PM »

Just one:  Babylon 5

However, I can't help but say that Angel is number two with Buffy following just behind it.

Band of Brothers would be way up there but I see that more as a miniseries than a TV series. 
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 02:57:37 PM »

Favorite shows

Good v.s. Evil
Babylon 5
Angel
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:58:54 PM »

Seinfeld, hands down.  Love it!  Also Three's Company is HILARIOUS

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:10:21 PM »

hmmm.... Babylon 5 up to the 5th season.   just finished watching the whole series for the first time since they originally aired and I had forgotten how weak season 5 was.  Next up would be a 3 way tie between Angel, Buffy and Firefly.  Third goes to Smallville, fourth to Stargate SG-1 (hey Sci-Li, sit and spin  finger) and rounding out the top 5 is the newcomer Heroes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 04:00:22 PM »

1. A tie between original Star Trek and M*A*S*H

2. Babylon 5

3. Firefly

4. Farscape

5. Space Above and Beyond

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 04:12:12 PM »

M.A.S.H.

I think i might be showing my age there.....
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »

Seinfeld

TheMissingLink on PSN
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 04:26:03 PM »

1 Beverly Hills 90210
2 Six Feet Under
3 Seinfeld
4 Different Strokes
5 Magnum PI
6 Hawaii 5-0
7 Family Ties
8 Entourage
9 NCIS
10 Leave it to Beaver

"Goonies never say die"
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 04:28:31 PM »

Farscape.

It's had its scares. Battlestar Galactica for the first two seasons threatened to dethrone it. Heroes is threatening to dethrone it. If they had lasted more than a season, Freaks and Geeks or Undeclared would most likely have dethroned it.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »

I gotta say that I'm in for Firefly, Band of Brothers.  I've never watched Babylon 5, but I've been told several times that I need to. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 04:32:53 PM »

Though I haven't seen the last season yet I'm going to say The Sopranos.  I love mobsters and I work in the psychiatric field so the show makes for some really funny, fascinating watching for me.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 04:34:24 PM »

MASH, Firefly, Star Trek...all good.  Seinfeld is epic.  If I had to pick an absolute favorite, though, it'd have to be MASH.  I LOVED ban of Brothers, but I agree with Kevin; it seems more like a miniseries.  I will give the next iteration its due (WWII in the Pacific, Tom Hanks and Spielberg all over it again, due 2010 I think).

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 04:43:35 PM »

1.  The Shield:  This is the only show I have watched from the very first pilot episode and will watch until the bitter end.  Never has a series gripped me and refused to let go quite like this series.  I remember watching the pilot episode and being utterly speechless at the end, and from that point on I could not miss a single episode.  I do not look forward to the show's conclusion, but I will be able to rewatch the series on DVD for a long time to come.  

2.  Band of Brothers:  Amazing.  Simply amazing.  The visuals, acting, drama, emotion, it all just blew me away.  One day I caught it on the History Channel, having never seen the series before, and within seconds I was leaning forward off of my couch, not uttering a sound, and I don't think I blinked at all.  The only thing keeping me from picking it up on DVD is cost, but it will almost certainly wind up under the tree this Christmas.

3.  24:  I haven't even found the time to watch beyond Season 1 just yet, but from what I have seen so far I look forward to adding each season of 24 to my DVD collection and can already see just how amazing this series is.  After one season it is already in my top 5.  If I had the time I would watch this series non-stop.  I can't wait to see what the future holds and because I started watching this series so late in the game, it will take quite some time before I run out of seasons to buy on DVD.  

4.  Miami Vice:  For me this series has aged amazingly well.  The fashion is dated but fits the series perfectly, the music is top-notch (if you are an 80's music fan, and who isn't?), and the storylines are incredibly gritty and dark for a TV series.  The music alone makes this series worthwhile, but the storytelling makes it one of my all-time favorites.  Michael Mann has always had a knack for gritty drama, and Miami Vice showcases his talent during his early years.  The story, music, fashion, cars, women, it all comes together into a fantastic package.

5.  The Greatest American Hero:  "Believe it or not, I'm walking on air, I never thought I could feel so free-ee-ee!"  I grew up with this show and loved every minute of it.  It has become fairly common recently for super heroes to struggle with their powers and their identity, but this wasn't always the case, until Ralph Hinkley.  Having inherited a super hero suit from aliens, Ralph loses the instruction manual and has no idea how to control his powers.  And somehow those powers entend into longevity as well.  This series has aged very well, and even though some of the usual dated shortcommings crop up, overall the series continues to work rather well and William Katt plays a fantastic roll.  The storyline has just enough superhero action balanced with drama, humor, and suspense, the characters are well developed, and actors bring such comic book-esque characters to vivid life, and it has one of the best, most memorable theme songs of all time.  Some old series have not aged well (*cough*Dukes of Hazzard*cough*), but surprisingly this series has aged very well and I still enjoy it today (although my wife thinks I'm absolutely wacko).

I own every one of these series on DVD, and I continue to watch them to this day.  They're all personal favorites, and my enthusiasm for every one has yet to wane.    
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 04:45:32 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »

This is easy:   MacGyver.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 05:05:27 PM »

X-Files

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »

Futurama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 05:10:52 PM »

24 would have been in my top 5 but season 6 knocked it out of the rankings faster than Michigan losing to App State knocked them out of the standings.

Because I can,
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »

Rome

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 05:15:53 PM »

Great thread.  I definately must eventually watch some Babylon 5.

Nobody mentioned Deadwood (yet).  I have never seen an episode, and was hoping someone would pick it and give me the skinny.  I see it all the time in the stores, and always contemplate picking it up "sight unseen", so to speak.  I seem to remember some people talking fondly of it a long time ago.  Perhaps it hasn't "aged" well?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 05:20:45 PM »

Deadwood would be my #2 if I have to choose between that and Rome.  Deadwood is an awesome series with very few weak spots, but Rome was able to get it nearly perfect, being only 2 seasons in length.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 05:23:48 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 27, 2007, 05:15:53 PM

Great thread.  I definately must eventually watch some Babylon 5.

Nobody mentioned Deadwood (yet).  I have never seen an episode, and was hoping someone would pick it and give me the skinny.  I see it all the time in the stores, and always contemplate picking it up "sight unseen", so to speak.  I seem to remember some people talking fondly of it a long time ago.  Perhaps it hasn't "aged" well?

Deadwood's great.  Lots of great series that don't necessarilly make Top 5 or so.  X-Files is another near and dear to my heart that just misses the list.

The only problem with Deadwood is that it was cancelled prematurely.  When they started filming the third season they were told they would get a fourth so there was no effort made to tie off loose ends.  Then, after filming of the third season was complete, HBO decided to deliver the axe. 

Otherwise, if you are at all interested in the subject matter, grab it. 
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 05:26:44 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 27, 2007, 05:15:53 PM

Great thread.  I definately must eventually watch some Babylon 5.

Nobody mentioned Deadwood (yet).  I have never seen an episode, and was hoping someone would pick it and give me the skinny.  I see it all the time in the stores, and always contemplate picking it up "sight unseen", so to speak.  I seem to remember some people talking fondly of it a long time ago.  Perhaps it hasn't "aged" well?

I loved Deadwood.  I own the first 2 seasons.  All in all, a fantastic show with amazing writing.  Apparently, education in the old West meant that you spoke very well or that you swore every other word.  There's a reason my avatar's character is called "Swearingen".  The morning after I watched Deadwood, my road rage language would include the word "cocksucker" a lot, which I don't normally say.  If you've seen the show, you know why.

The plotlines and characters in Deadwood kept me hooked from the get-go.  The writers make you maintain a vested interest in the welfare of the characters and throw just enough curveballs to make you want to come back episode after episode.  The way the writers just quit was a kick in the nuts to everyone who loved that show.  basically, after the 3rd season, most of the plotlines are still wide open and only a few things have been resolved.  The writers told HBO to F off and bailed without finishing the series.  HBO, from what I've heard, has tried to get them back to write a few 2-hour miniseries episodes to end the series, but I've heard nothing lately.  Hell, I'd be happy with a "Serenity"-style end just to finish it up.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 06:18:16 PM »

I think the only possible answer to this question is Arrested Development.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 06:24:16 PM »

Futurama:

It's so far ahead of the pack there is no #2.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 06:29:10 PM »

Freaks and Geeks
The Office (US. Premieres tonight!)
X-Files
Friday Night Lights

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 06:52:27 PM »

Brendan  is correct!

Edit to throw in Police Squad and currently Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:33:22 AM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 06:54:51 PM »

Picking one favorite is too hard.  Maybe a top 5 in no particular order:

1. Angel
2. The Wire
3. Futurama
4. Arrested Development
5. Stargate: Atlantis

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 06:57:52 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 27, 2007, 06:52:27 PM

Brendan  is correct!

Devil, I'm often correct.  After all, I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist... slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 07:16:09 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 27, 2007, 06:52:27 PM

Brendan  is correct!

stop feeding his ego.  It's starting to get bigger than yours.

Because I can,
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2007, 07:28:19 PM »

Devil, I'm often correct.  After all, I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist...

Yes, and I remember those business cards almost got you thrown in jail.

Ceek - It can't be!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 07:32:31 PM »

Kevin, Ike, WarPig :  You sold me.  I plan on picking up season 1.  Thanks.

LD

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007, 07:41:44 PM »

In no particular order:

1. V - The entire series both this and The Final Battle messed with me as a kid. Watch clips on YouTube now and revel in the cheese, but growing up it was awesome.

2. Sledge Hammer - Equally cheesy but good God was it funny at the time. Watching it now it still has its high points, especially David Rasche in the role he will never be able to escape from. Everytime I see him in something now I keep expecting him to pull out his gun and start shooting, which is partly why I can't watch "United 93" for fear of busting out laughing at the worst possible moments.

3. Police Squad - Six episodes that will live in the comedy hall of fame forever. "Who are you and how'd you get in here?" "I'm a locksmith... and I'm a locksmith." Genius.

4. The Simpsons pre-season 9 - When this show was firing on all cylinders it was unequaled. It hasn't been consistently funny for about ten years now but from seasons three to about season eight every episode was gold. That's a record no one else can top.

5. Babylon 5 - This series shows what can be done with episodic television when there is a plan in place from the get-go. You other LOST fans can't tell me, a genuine fan who lost interest in season 2, that there was a clear-cut plan from the beginning. I know that because I originally thought there was one. B5 on the other hand had a plan right from the start and despite tons of upheavals and studio/network intereference, it remains one of the singular sci-fi achievements in television history.

6. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - A series that had more heart than all other teen shows combined. The show was almost entirely one large metaphor for angst, but it made sure to bring along healthy doses of ass-kicking every week to make up for that. Several episodes are Hall of Famers including "Hush," "The Body," "Triangle," "Once More With Feeling," the second and third season finales, and a cast of one memorable character after another.

7. Angel - The best thing to say about a spin-off series is being able to point to it as better than its predecessor and Angel was that. After a shaky first season, the show truly hit the ground running with its sophomore year and never looked back. Seasons three and four managed to top each episode by ending with one hand grenade of a cliff hanger after the other. If you think Alias always managed to end with a cliffhanger, Angel's third and fourth seasons are textbook examples on how to keep viewers hooked. So much so that when you start watching them on DVD, you'll experience that "just one more episode" feeling so frequently that an entire weekend will just slip by. The final season and series finale were spectacular start to finish and this is a series that ended far stronger than it began. It may not have ended like any of us expected, but what a way to go out.

8. The West Wing - Politics has never been so entertaining. I originally stopped watching after the fourth season mainly because I thought the show was becoming too much like "The Left Wing." Recently I picked up the entire collected series and My Fair Lady and I burned through it start to finish. Holy Christ was it fantastic. Even the maligned fifth season plays better in succession than I thought it would, even if it does tend to be "hey, let's solve social security in one episode" far too often. But with seasons six and seven devoted entirely to the campaign for the next president, the show took on a new life. Riveting television came roaring back and once you start season seven you'll be hard pressed to turn it off until after the last episode.

9. The Venture Brothers - Easily the funniest show currently on television. By turns profane and simply foul, this spoof of Johnny Quest and Saturday morning cartoons in general manages to keep the belly laughs coming. The twins, Hank and Dean, are easily the dumbest pair of "heroes" television has ever seen, but they're protected by uber-masculine Brock Sampson (brilliantly voiced by Patrick Warburton) and their brilliant, but still a loser, dad. The supporting cast is uniformly hilarious too with gut-busting cameos from the most random sources (Manic Eightball, for example, slayed me even though he was in the show for about ten seconds). "IGNORE ME!"

Honorable mentions: LOST, Oz, Deadwood, Samurai Jack, ER, Law & Order, Seinfeld, Cheers, Frasier

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2007, 07:48:24 PM »

Scrubs

Venture Brothers

Veronica Mars (rest in peace)

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 07:49:03 PM »

Buffy - The dialog  eek

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »

Sopranos

warning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2007, 09:14:05 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on September 27, 2007, 07:41:44 PM

Samurai Jack

Awesome!  I can't say it's my favorite but it's certainly one of the best.  The fact that almost an entire episode can go by with no dialog is amazing.  The visual style is great and I just love the character of Jack.  I really want a Samurai Jack movie to tie up the loose ends.
unbreakable
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2007, 09:44:04 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 27, 2007, 09:14:05 PM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on September 27, 2007, 07:41:44 PM

Samurai Jack

Awesome!  I can't say it's my favorite but it's certainly one of the best.  The fact that almost an entire episode can go by with no dialog is amazing.  The visual style is great and I just love the character of Jack.  I really want a Samurai Jack movie to tie up the loose ends.

You know what kind of surprised me, was how Samurai Jack was kind of a rip-off of Frank Miller's "Ronin".  I really did love it's visual style, however.  I need to buy it on DVD one of these days.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 10:15:51 PM »

Since Futurama was already said along with Firefly which are my favorites, just to be different I'll throw in Afro Samurai.

And I guess the first season of Battlestar Galactica before it all all fucking weird.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 11:00:15 PM »

Futurama
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: