http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:42:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favorite opening line of a book  (Read 940 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »

"It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured."

Shantaram By Gregory David Roberts

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:45:28 PM »

OMG SPOILERS!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »

great line and topic.  if only I could remember a book where the line stood out to me.  

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 07:50:05 PM »

""I was arrested in Eno's Diner. At twelve o'clock. I was eating eggs and drinking coffee. A late breakfast, not lunch. I was wet and tired after a long walk in heavy rain. All the way from the highway to the edge of town."

Lee Child's Killing Floor
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 07:56:13 PM »

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:01:12 PM »

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair…"

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 23, 2013, 08:01:12 PM

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair…"

Message, Spock?

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 23, 2013, 08:02:02 PM

Message, Spock?

Are you asking about source? Sorry, its Charles Dickens, A tale of Two cities.

I've yet to read it in English actually, but I know that opening line very well.

Edit: Nevermind - I remember now what this refers to!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 08:06:33 PM »

“The man in Black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed.” -The Gunslinger, The Dark Tower 1
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 08:19:17 PM »

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea. "

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »

Dear Penthouse Letters.......
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 09:18:12 PM »

"I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice – not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother’s death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.”

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 23, 2013, 08:19:17 PM

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea. "

Winner.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 10:33:38 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on July 23, 2013, 09:07:54 PM

Dear Penthouse Letters.......

BAM.  Winner!   icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »

"The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed sub-category. He's got esprit up to here. Right now, he is preparing to carry out his third mission of the night. His uniform is black as activated charcoal, filtering the very light out of the air. A bullet will bounce off its arachnofiber weave like a wren hitting a patio door, but excess perspiration wafts through it like a breeze through a freshly napalmed forest. Where his body has bony extremities, the suit has sintered armorgel: feels like gritty jello, protects like a stack of telephone books." - Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 12:25:33 AM »

Chapter 1
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 12:34:26 AM »

"Lost and for a time so is he." Among the Living by some jerk named Timothy W. Long.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 02:19:40 AM »

The first thing I remember is being under something.

Ham on Rye
Bukowski

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
WarPig
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 03:31:29 AM »

Message, Spock?
None that I am aware of. Except, of course, happy birthday.

Unbreakable: "Stupid is the new ugly"
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water."

In fact, the rest of the opening paragraph is excellent, as well:

"With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »

Quote from: WarPig on July 24, 2013, 03:31:29 AM

Message, Spock?
None that I am aware of. Except, of course, happy birthday.

Surely, the best of times.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 01:54:59 PM »

No one plans for the end of the world. 

Beyond the Barriers
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »

Mr. and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. They were the least people you'd expect to be involved in anything strange or mysterious, because they just didn't hold with such nonsense

J.K Rowling

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 03:15:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 24, 2013, 01:54:59 PM

Beyond the Barriers

I didn't care for that line and wished I'd done a better job on the first paragraph. The original first line from that book was "The day the world ended I jumped in my SUV and headed for Walmart." (inspired by a trip from hell to walmart the day before)

You'd be amazed how long authors agonize over first lines.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »

For what it's worth, I looked up the first page on Amazon just to post whatever I found in this thread, and thought the first line was actually a pretty fitting addition.

Also for what it's worth, your first line is definitely better than the first line in World War Z. : )
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »

They say Los Angeles is like The Wizard of Oz. One minute it's small-town monochrome neighborhoods and then boom--all of a You know how sometimes when you're drifting off to sleep you feel that jolt, like you were falling and caught yourself at the last second? It's nothing to be concerned about, it's usually just the parasite adjusting its grip

This book is full of spiders - David Wong

brings up the hairs on the back of your neck

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 05:15:06 PM »

Quote from: Crusis on July 24, 2013, 03:15:28 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 24, 2013, 01:54:59 PM

Beyond the Barriers

I didn't care for that line and wished I'd done a better job on the first paragraph. The original first line from that book was "The day the world ended I jumped in my SUV and headed for Walmart." (inspired by a trip from hell to walmart the day before)

You'd be amazed how long authors agonize over first lines.

I wished had the talent for writing and authoring books.   tip of the hat to you

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 11:22:12 PM »

"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents!" - Little Women

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
RuperT
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 05:57:02 AM »

“It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly, a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.”
Unpublished - Snoopy

Live: MooseFoe
PSN: Rupyrt
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2013, 07:39:43 AM »

Quote from: RuperT on July 25, 2013, 05:57:02 AM

“It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly, a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.”
Unpublished - Snoopy

Hah! I remember that one. So awesome!

A new one
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 02:05:07 PM »

Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the riverbank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, 'and what is the use of a book', thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversation?'

or, if we're going with Adams:

It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression “As pretty as an airport.”
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning."

I still can't believe how long ago I first read those words.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 10:16:42 PM »

Some of you guys are cheating! A full stop indicates the end of an opening line. I'm seeing entire opening paragraphs here! Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2013, 10:21:26 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 25, 2013, 10:16:42 PM

Some of you guys are cheating! A full stop indicates the end of an opening line. I'm seeing entire opening paragraphs here! Tongue

that sounds like it is from Dickens.....

Because I can,
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »

Great opening lines and great ending lines. Pretty good book in fact.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 12:22:35 AM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on July 24, 2013, 01:40:08 PM

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water."

In fact, the rest of the opening paragraph is excellent, as well:

"With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

Even better when listening to Richard Burton recite a good deal of it in Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 25, 2013, 10:16:42 PM

Blame it on me then. as I posted a whole paragraph. First line of a Neal Stephenson novel wouldn't have been much as he's too fragmented.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on July 26, 2013, 03:51:26 PM

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."

Oh, the book has to be fiction?   Tongue

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »

Couldn't resist?

"Better to be silent and thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt"   Tongue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: