http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:55:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You know what I hate about IOS7?  (Read 3697 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 06:19:36 PM »

At best this is free advertising courtesy of the NYPD. Or, more likely, the cops want an easier way to track you down.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »

I went ahead and updated my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 over the weekend. I was dreading the worst, but it seems to have gone off without any problems. I updated them through connection to a PC and downloading via iTunes. The battery performance on the iPhone is actually the same as before so luckily I avoided the weird battery issues many other people have reported. On the iPad the battery seems to drain a little faster than before but still acceptable in my mind.

I like the new look but a couple of things are annoying:

1. The folder view has been reduced to a 3x3 grid, resulting in a lot of wasted screen space and the need for extra swipes in folder that have more than 9 apps.
2. The default OS font is harder to read, even with the bold text enabled. For old fogies like me with not so great eyesight, it's a pain in the ass.

The parallax home screen and dynamic backgrounds are an interesting curiosity but disabled after the initial wow factor.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2013, 07:50:56 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 23, 2013, 07:08:08 PM

I went ahead and updated my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 over the weekend.

What the performance like on your iPad3?

I've been holding off on updating mine after reading about a pretty big performance hit.

I did upgrade my iPhone4 and although it's slower than my work-provided 5 it's still usable.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish
1. The folder view has been reduced to a 3x3 grid, resulting in a lot of wasted screen space and the need for extra swipes in folder that have more than 9 apps.

This was actually a huge plus for me, as the old folder limit was 16 apps per folder (there is no limit now). My daughter has a ton of kid book apps and I had to create "Kids Books 1" "Kids Books 2" "Kids Books 3" etc. Then if she wanted a particular one I had to go searching through each one to remember where I put it.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on September 23, 2013, 07:50:56 PM

I've been holding off on updating mine after reading about a pretty big performance hit.

I did upgrade my iPhone4 and although it's slower than my work-provided 5 it's still usable.

Performance feels pretty much the same as before the update. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 23, 2013, 08:25:54 PM

Quote from: Exodor on September 23, 2013, 07:50:56 PM

Performance feels pretty much the same as before the update. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I've felt like the performance on the iPad 3 is much worse than iOS6.  iOS7 definitely runs smoother on my iPhone 4S than the iPad 3 in my instance.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 24, 2013, 09:25:26 AM

I've felt like the performance on the iPad 3 is much worse than iOS6.  iOS7 definitely runs smoother on my iPhone 4S than the iPad 3 in my instance.

Agreed. My iPad isn't unusable by any means, but there are slight pauses where there weren't before. For instance when I open my smart cover, on iOS 6 it was instant, under iOS 7 it takes a second or two before the iPad is unlocked. I never saw my lock screen on iOS 6, I seen it almost every time I open my smart cover now. It also likes to turn the screen upside down when not in use, which takes it a second to recognize, something it did not do under 6.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »

I haven't seen a huge difference on the iPad 3 either. There may be some slight pauses here and there as pointed out but nothing that has made me think twice about it. I'm a little torn on the multi-task interface though. While it's really cool to be able to scroll through your app screens and flick up to dismiss them, it's a lot more overhead graphics-wise. I've noticed the most hesitation when have multiple apps open trying to scroll through them.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »

Anyone try it on an iPad 2 yet? My wife has the 2 and she's curious about the upgrade but I'm afraid it'll turn her tablet into a barely functional slideshow.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 01:48:14 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on September 24, 2013, 01:12:24 PM

Anyone try it on an iPad 2 yet? My wife has the 2 and she's curious about the upgrade but I'm afraid it'll turn her tablet into a barely functional slideshow.

I just went through a massive reboot cycle at the gym trying to use Chrome with iTunes Radio.  Seriously, more than 10 minutes went by from the time it was functional to the time I could do anything again.

That said, it's the first major problem I've had on the device.  Otherwise it seems to be running fine.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »

Wow, really odd that some of you are seeing such a performance hit on the iPad 3. I just don't see it, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough. icon_razz

One thing I would recommend is after the update, power the device off and then on to reset it. Let the battery run all the way down until the device shuts down on it's own, then charge it up fully. From what I've been reading, that will help with performance and battery life.

It's a bit bizarre that the experiences of people are so all over the map.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »

I think my iPad3 will stay on iOS6 for as long as possible since my only must-have iOS7 feature - call blocking - isn't something I'll use on it anyway. icon_wink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »

I really like the new lock screen, with having quick access to various functions available right there like wifi on/off and the alarm clock shortcut.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 11:38:53 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on September 24, 2013, 01:12:24 PM

I'm running it on my iPad Mini (same processor as iPad 2) and it runs pefectly fine.  The battery drained rather quickly but that might have been because I left bluetooth on by accident.  It seems like the update turns bluetooth on by default.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 06:29:16 PM »

Updated. Runs fine on the iPad 2 but wow do I HATE the look. HATE HATE HATE.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »

You get used to the looks, but it's still not growing on me.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 07:32:27 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 25, 2013, 07:26:35 PM

I could deal with the look if I could just turn off the ZOOM in and ZOOM out every time I launch or close an app.   tear thumbsdown
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 03:08:12 PM »

I'm happy with iOS7 overall. As far as the visuals go, it hasn't bothered me, and some of the font and color changes (Maps app in particular) I've really liked and found easier to read.

Apparently some folks are complaining about motion sickness from all the zooming and animations:
http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/story/apple-device-users-blame-ios-7-causing-motion-sickness/2013-09-26

But you guys know me, everything makes me motion sick  puke, including FPS games and even many third person titles. Even some strategy games somehow. iOS7 hasn't given me any motion sickness issues at all.

Still the zooming, or "zooming in from a corner/out to a corner" reminds me of when I'm editing together compilations of computer game gameplay footage. Sometimes a crazy zooming transition between videogames is cool but it isn't necessarily easy on the eyes nor is it really necessary. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually added an option to disable some/all of the zooming stuff.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »

I love the look, just wish it performed better on my iPad 3rd gen.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2013, 11:33:01 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on September 25, 2013, 07:32:27 PM

I could deal with the look if I could just turn off the ZOOM in and ZOOM out every time I launch or close an app.   tear thumbsdown

it's funny, I never even noticed the zoom effect until I sat down and looked for it the other night.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2013, 11:36:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 26, 2013, 11:33:01 PM

it's funny, I never even noticed the zoom effect until I sat down and looked for it the other night.

It bothered me at first. I don't notice it now I am so used to it. It's not so slow that it bothers me.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2013, 02:23:47 AM »

So... I keep getting the notices to upgrade my iPad to 7. Any reason not to do it? Any big reason to do it?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2013, 02:53:18 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on September 30, 2013, 02:23:47 AM

So... I keep getting the notices to upgrade my iPad to 7. Any reason not to do it? Any big reason to do it?

My upgrade went without a hitch.  I had more reasons for updating my iPhone than my iPad, but I figure I might as well keep them consistent. 

The only iOS 7 feature I can think makes a difference to my iPad experience is having the spotlight search accessible from anywhere.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2013, 12:28:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 30, 2013, 02:53:18 AM

Quote from: Punisher on September 30, 2013, 02:23:47 AM

My upgrade went without a hitch.  I had more reasons for updating my iPhone than my iPad, but I figure I might as well keep them consistent. 

The only iOS 7 feature I can think makes a difference to my iPad experience is having the spotlight search accessible from anywhere.

I find I'm using that Control Center thing a lot more than I expected.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »

The 7.0.2 update just bricked my iPad 3.  Tried loading the new update and during the process I got a screen that indicated I needed to plug the iPad into iTunes, took a bit of looking to find out that this means the iPad is in recovery mode and needs to be plugged into a computer with iTunes installed.  Doing that now but you get a message saying all your data will be erased!  iTunes is now downloading the software for the recovery.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2013, 04:02:42 AM »

I recently upgraded my iPad to 7.0.2 and I just went to buy something from the AppStore and... I can't. I click on the price, it changes to 'Buy' and when I touch that there's a brief spin of a wait cursor and then it goes back to showing the price. Anyone know what might be going on?  icon_confused

Well, fixed it. Logged out of the App Store and rebooted. Not sure if that was really needed but some posts online suggested it. Went back into the App Store and when I went to buy, it now prompted me to log in and then agree to new terms and conditions. After all that, it let me buy the product.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:12:36 AM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2013, 04:12:29 AM »

Wednesday night 11pm Eastern time is when all of the big new apps are released. I tried to download a couple apps and it did the same thing at first, but I tried again five minutes later and it worked for me.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2013, 04:13:30 AM »

Or maybe it just started working because of the time it took to do all that.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on October 03, 2013, 04:12:29 AM

Wednesday night 11pm Eastern time is when all of the big new apps are released. I tried to download a couple apps and it did the same thing at first, but I tried again five minutes later and it worked for me.

I've never had a problem downloading anything at 11pm Wed before, but I spent a long time trying to get Pandemic (and Tanto Cuore) last night with no success at all.

No problem this morning, though.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2013, 03:01:29 PM »

There have been a couple of times in the last couple of years that I had issues, but it's possible those were on my end.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2013, 11:25:21 PM »

You know what I don't like about iOS7?

I can't send iMessages to other iOS users - they get stuck on sending and after a reboot they show as "not sent"

Texts to my android-using girlfriend go through just fine.  Texting works but iMessage doesn't.  

I guess the solution is to encourage everyone I know to switch to Android phones.  retard
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on October 04, 2013, 11:25:21 PM

I can't send iMessages to other iOS users - they get stuck on sending and after a reboot they show as "not sent"

Texts to my android-using girlfriend go through just fine.  Texting works but iMessage doesn't.  

I guess the solution is to encourage everyone I know to switch to Android phones.  retard

Yeah happened to me yesterday. Not good, I am sure this will be fixed soon.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2013, 04:28:49 AM »

Can't you turn iMessage off so that it only sends texts?  That could be your workaround until they fix the issue.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 05, 2013, 04:28:49 AM

Can't you turn iMessage off so that it only sends texts?  That could be your workaround until they fix the issue.

Yes, this is a workaround for those experiencing this until the fix arrives.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »

It's happened to me once in 2 weeks. Is it happening more often for others?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »

Quote from: Lee on October 05, 2013, 02:02:39 PM

It's happened to me once in 2 weeks. Is it happening more often for others?

From some articles online it sounds like for some people it's happening all the time.  I've had it happen about 3-4 times since release and every time if I send another message to the same recipient or just tap "try again" it works. 
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »

1) Turn off iMessage in Settings -> Messages.

2) Reset Network Settings in Settings -> General. WARNING: You lose all of your wifi passwords.

The iPhone reboots.

iMessage is back in action.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »

I didn't need to reset my network to get it to work again, just reset phone. Has worked fine since. (Knock on wood)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2013, 03:24:24 AM »

I like the top-down and bottom-up sliders. though my GF's mom has had problems using them on her iPad mini. She is non-techie, but I think the problem is the protective case doesn't allow her to engage the very edge of the screen.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57:20 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 26, 2013, 11:36:20 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 26, 2013, 11:33:01 PM

I could deal with the look if I could just turn off the ZOOM in and ZOOM out every time I launch or close an app.   tear thumbsdown

It bothered me at first. I don't notice it now I am so used to it. It's not so slow that it bothers me.

The most recent iOS patch removes the ridiculous ZOOMing if you turn on Reduce Motion in accessibility options.

thumbsup
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:00:06 PM by Exodor » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: