http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 09:07:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You know what I hate about IOS7?  (Read 4047 times)
Crusis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:33:39 AM »

6 hours of battery life. I really hope the final version is better at battery management.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »

Ars Technica is reporting worse battery life across the board but the iPhone 5 being really bad. 3 hours less battery life. Nothing else is close to that bad. Not excited about the upgrade now.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 18, 2013, 03:18:14 PM

Ars Technica is reporting worse battery life across the board but the iPhone 5 being really bad. 3 hours less battery life. Nothing else is close to that bad. Not excited about the upgrade now.

Wow.

What are the benefits to upgrading to iOS7 - other than the new look?
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 03:25:11 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on September 18, 2013, 03:19:52 PM

Wow.

Why, it's the most fabulous object in the world!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on September 18, 2013, 03:19:52 PM

Wow.

you get to break out that snazzy looking recharging cable more often?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »

ouch.  that's a big drop in OS performance. 

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 03:45:56 PM »

I hate that the new app icon for Chrome has a white background instead of black, and what's worse is that it's not the same shade of white that's used for the Gmail app background.   Truthiness!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »

I've been using the GM for a week on my 4S and the battery life is pretty awful.  Probably why the 5S has a larger battery.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 05:08:13 PM »

The GM is a lot better than the beta but still pretty lame overall. I read that turning off parallax view helps. Parallax looks nice the first few times you show it to friends then you never use it again.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »

iOS7 allows you to block calls!

That feature alone makes it a must-have for me.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 09:09:01 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on September 18, 2013, 07:35:43 PM

iOS7 allows you to block calls!

That feature alone makes it a must-have for me.

I heard rumors some cell companies were blocking this feature in the newest Windows Phone update since they normally charge for it, I wonder if they'll try to find some way to do the same with iOS7, or if Apple would even let them pull an obvious money grab stunt like that.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »

ruh-roh..

use Blizzard's Battle.net Authenticator for the iPhone?  read this!

The upcoming iOS update may cause iPhone, iPad, and iPod Mobile Authenticators to reset. When you update your phone's OS, we recommend taking any one of the following precautionary steps:

Sign up for the free SMS Protect service. In the event of a lost, broken, or accidentally reset authenticator, users with SMS Protect can remove the old authenticator from their account with a texted security code. For more information, visit the SMS Protect FAQ.
    Write down your authenticator's Serial Number and Restore Code so that you may restore your authenticator to your phone after the OS update is finished.
    Temporarily remove the authenticator before updating. Reattach the authenticator again once your iOS update is complete.
    Update over Wi-Fi. iPhones that are updated over Wi-Fi rather than through a computer are less prone to accidental resets.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2013, 09:13:33 PM

ruh-roh..

The upcoming iOS update may cause iPhone, iPad, and iPod Mobile Authenticators to reset. When you update your phone's OS, we recommend taking any one of the following precautionary steps:

Sign up for the free SMS Protect service. In the event of a lost, broken, or accidentally reset authenticator, users with SMS Protect can remove the old authenticator from their account with a texted security code. For more information, visit the SMS Protect FAQ.
    Write down your authenticator's Serial Number and Restore Code so that you may restore your authenticator to your phone after the OS update is finished.
    Temporarily remove the authenticator before updating. Reattach the authenticator again once your iOS update is complete.
    Update over Wi-Fi. iPhones that are updated over Wi-Fi rather than through a computer are less prone to accidental resets.

I had no problem with this fwiw
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 09:37:30 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 18, 2013, 09:35:34 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2013, 09:13:33 PM

ruh-roh..

I had no problem with this fwiw

I've never had an issue before either, but I did just sign up for the SMS Protect deal.  better safe that having to call customer support.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »

Just started using it - I haven't noticed anything that dramatically different aside from the visual.  It's nice but honestly the 3D effect when you close an app makes me kind of nauseous now lol.

I was under the impression there was a slight learning curve but I haven't seen a single thing yet that isn't just a minor modification or nicety on top of the old interface.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on September 18, 2013, 09:54:00 PM

the 3D effect when you close an app makes me kind of nauseous now lol.

Yeah I really, really wish I could turn that off but Apple doesn't allow users to make choices on their devices.  *sigh*

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:03:29 PM by Exodor » Logged
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 10:00:57 PM »

Other new features

Text Timestamps
With iOS 7, you can reveal the timestamp for each and every message. Just grab one of the speech bubbles in a thread and swipe to the left

Level
To get to the level, open the compass app. Though not immediately obvious, there’s a second page to the app; swipe to the left, and you’ll be at Apple’s level.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »

Quote from: Exodor on September 18, 2013, 10:00:57 PM

Level
To get to the level, open the compass app. Though not immediately obvious, there’s a second page to the app; swipe to the left, and you’ll be at Apple’s level.

sweet, easy power leveling so I can team up with Apple!  slywink

Because I can,
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »

You can turn off the Parallax Bullshit in General\Accessibility by choosing Reduce Motion - but that option is missing on my iPhone 4   crybaby

And turning it on doesn't seem to do much on my 5 anyway.   finger mad

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »

Really like it so far. Some of it is quite ugly, like the Safari icon, but lot's of nice little touches. Finally an Android like control panel!

Battery is getting slaughtered on my iPhone 5 of course.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 18, 2013, 11:01:27 PM

Finally an Android like control panel!

Just like an android phone! smile
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 11:53:35 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 18, 2013, 11:40:13 PM

Finally an Android like control panel!

Just like an android phone! smile

Yep, but without having to download mods to make the phone useable! :-)

(I like Android, but in my old age I don't want to play with mods which seem like a necessity, I just want to take it out of the box and use it.)
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 11:55:52 PM »

Oh my god iOS finally automagically detects conference bridges in calendar invites.

IT ONLY TOOK SEVEN VERSIONS TO DO IT, BUT PRAISE JEBUS.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »

Really like it so far. Some of it is quite ugly, like the Safari icon, but lot's of nice little touches. Finally an Android like control panel!

Turning off Background App Refresh and enabling "Reduce Motion" to kill the annoying and gimmicky parallax effect is believed to improve battery life. If you could, try that and report back if it makes any difference. I'm holding off on the update until there is more info on the battery problem. Plus I'm sure the update servers are getting slammed now anyways.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 01:39:48 AM »

Apple servers are getting slammed. Trying to update my iPad and it's taking an hour, apps aren't updating, I can't update iTunes on my Mac, etc.

I am not going to reduce any settings and see how it goes tomorrow on a full charge. Usually a 9 hour day will drain about 50% by quitting time. Will see what happens tomorrow and go from their.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 01:48:22 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 19, 2013, 12:11:14 AM

Turning off Background App Refresh and enabling "Reduce Motion" to kill the annoying and gimmicky parallax effect is believed to improve battery life. If you could, try that and report back if it makes any difference. I'm holding off on the update until there is more info on the battery problem. Plus I'm sure the update servers are getting slammed now anyways.

I've had those both off for a week and my battery still sucks on the 4S. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 01:49:57 AM »

Quote from: Lee on September 19, 2013, 01:39:48 AM

Apple servers are getting slammed. Trying to update my iPad and it's taking an hour, apps aren't updating, I can't update iTunes on my Mac, etc.

I updated my old iPhone 4.  first time around it said '3 hours', then I cancelled it, restarted the download and it went by a heck of a lot quicker.  this was on the PC, not via the phone.

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 03:12:41 AM »

Yeah, I downloaded through iTunes on my Mac, and both my iPhone and iPad updates took 6 minutes apiece, and that was this afternoon.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 03:53:40 AM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on September 19, 2013, 12:11:14 AM

I've done both. We'll see how well the battery holds up. That said, my phone sits with wifi always on because of limited minutes and how I get free wifi calling. So I dunno how much that's going to affect things.

Also it wasn't much of a hassle downloading iOS 7 this morning when it became available. Can't imagine doing it now.

Overall however, initial reviews say that battery life drops by 5-10% on default settings with iOS 7, which frankly is nuts. Wonder what the heck happened?

Now bring on the jailbreak! I want customized icons and such! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »

well, with my iPhone 4 that is now a glorified iTouch, I only went down 1% in battery life overnight.  got it in ariplane mode, with wifi on.  it's interesting, with iOS6 I'd have lost more battery power overnight.

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »

I don't really notice my iPhone 5 battery having any issues. My iPad 4 on the other hand...

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 06:56:55 PM »

I've noticed little to no change in battery life on my 4s. I did turn off background app refresh and the parallax thingy just in case. 2 things I don't care about anyway.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »

In the Ars Technica review the only platform that had a drastic reduction in battery life is the iPhone 5. Everything else was no more than 30 minutes in their tests.

My 5 doesn't drain any quicker when not using, but it is draining quicker than it did before under daily use. Not enough to be a problem unless I had an extremely long day with heavy use ahead of me. I don't know what is causing it to drain, the parallax is barely used unless I am just sitting on my home screen. The apps don't seem to update themselves in the background much either. 

I really like it on my iPhone, think its a great update. It is a bit rough on my iPad 3 though. Performance on an already slow unit, took a bigger hit. Not enough to care, but noticeable. My retirement present to my self will be an iPad 5, so I won't care after November.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »

My 4S seems okay, but that was a battery that was about shot anyway. I unplugged it fully charged at 630 AM when my alarm went off, and it died just as I was going to bed at midnight.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on September 20, 2013, 11:36:51 AM

My 4S seems okay, but that was a battery that was about shot anyway. I unplugged it fully charged at 630 AM when my alarm went off, and it died just as I was going to bed at midnight.
Damn, I wish I had a battery that was shot like that.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 01:55:15 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 20, 2013, 01:45:57 PM

Quote from: Clanwolfer on September 20, 2013, 11:36:51 AM

Damn, I wish I had a battery that was shot like that.
Yeah, what was your battery life like when your phone was new, Clanwolfer? 
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »

I haven't noticed any battery performance loss. Only been a couple of days, though.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on September 20, 2013, 07:09:34 PM

I haven't noticed any battery performance loss. Only been a couple of days, though.

Today mine drained about the same as it would using iOS 6, while a friend is telling me hers is draining really quick on her 5. Mine seems to be a bit flakey, it will seem like it drops a few percentage points quickly, and then be very steady for great lengths of time (doesn't matter what I am doing on it).

Overall it's fine, nothing I can't live with. My bigger concern is iPad speed, it is too slow.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 03:59:25 AM »

I just talked to a good friend from Dallas, and he's having the quickly-draining battery issue.

I vaguely remember this same thing happening with iOS 5, and being addressed in 5.0.1 or 5.0.2. Hopefully that'll be the case this time, as well.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 04:52:29 AM »

they've found a few bugs in the lock screen already.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/09/19/ios-7-bug-lets-anyone-bypass-iphones-lockscreen-to-hijack-photos-email-or-twitter/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/09/20/another-ios-7-bug-lets-locked-iphones-make-calls-and-this-time-theres-no-easy-fix/

luckily, they mention ways to address this until Apple gets it fixed

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: