http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 02:00:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You can donate to Red Cross for Tsunami relief at Amazon  (Read 1437 times)
Greggy_D
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2004, 11:04:06 PM »

On the front page of Amazon.com, there a BIG link to donate to the American Red Cross via Amazon.com. As of right now, 47367 people have donated $2,713,371.49. Absolutely amazing that this small amount of people have come up with almost 1/10 of the US response (which is rather small IMHO).

Americans are known for giving endlessly when the shit hits the fan. All money donated via Amazon is going to the Red Cross 100 percent.

www.amazon.com
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 11:16:37 PM »

Just donated a bit ago myself.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 11:31:50 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
On the front page of Amazon.com, there a BIG link to donate to the American Red Cross via Amazon.com. As of right now, 47367 people have donated $2,713,371.49. Absolutely amazing that this small amount of people have come up with almost 1/10 of the US response (which is rather small IMHO).

Well, it all comes out of our pockets one way or the other - I'd rather it be given voluntarily.  smile
howie549
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 01:39:32 AM »

I want to donate but not to the Red Cross.  After the debacle about how they mishandled funds donated for victims (& their families) of 9/11, I would rather donate my money to Unicef http://www.unicef.org or another worthwile recipient that I identify.  

link about Red Cross mismanagement

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/WTC_red-cross.htm

cross-posted from OO
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 01:55:11 AM »

To be fair, I'm willing to bet that any organization that sees an unprecedented windfall of money like that would also wind up criticized for how it was used. Same for donations like blood.

BTW, contrary to what that one article said, I personally remember hearing about how people should hold back on donating blood immediately, how future regular donations would be the helpful way to go.  

When something like 9/11, or now this earthquake/wave thing, happens, we're in uncharted territory, making it up as we go along.  Some areas will get too much aid, some not enough. Sometime after the fact, people will point out "Well, you(Red Cross, IMF, US, etc) should have done this or that".  

Right now it looks to me like everyone is doing the best they can.
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 12:40:53 PM »

The amount is even higher now, and the average amount per gift is $59
That's a LOT, IMHO.

HELLO!
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 03:38:34 PM »

$4,302,464.51 by 71515 people.

1/8th of the US response by 72,000 people.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 05:07:32 PM »

Hell I did'nt even have enough for the food to feed my dogs today..the lady at the counter said its ok just take it....I lacked about 50 cents..thats how poor I am. Live day to day. At least the holiday was good.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 02:59:25 PM »

Thanx for the heads up Greggy.  Its good to see that many people helping out voluntarily.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 06:19:56 PM »

Holy Cow Crap!

$8,495,648.50 by 117401

Nearly 1/4th of the US response.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 11:44:18 PM »

US has kicked in another 350 mill or so.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 01:20:58 AM »

The US started feeling sheepish after seeing this thread.   :wink:

Seriously though, 35 mill was bullshit.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2005, 02:21:51 AM »

35 mil was just the starting point, geez.  if they would have initially said 10 billion everyone would have cried they gave too much.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2005, 04:01:00 AM »

It's funny they went from 15 mill to 35 mill to all of a sudden 350 mill.

Somebody woke up to the fact they were cheap asses when just Amazon was about to pass their initial aid.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2005, 07:22:59 AM »

Or maybe they didn't realize that the damage was as extensive as what it was.

Do you really think that the governement really cares how much the fund at Amazon?  If you do I have a nice piece of property to sell you.

I personally am sick and tired of having people complain about having to pay for troops in Iraq and then complain that we aren't giving enough to other countries.  If you want to contribute to this, that's great.  More power to you.  However, don't expect me to be happy to be forced to pay taxes that are going to other countries that wouldn't give squat if the US had any troubles like this.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2005, 04:19:13 PM »

Seriously.  Greggy_d - you've made your point... let  it go smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2005, 05:18:13 PM »

Well, I think I can speak for all patriotic, *right*-thinking Americans when I say that we're pretty unhappy about the administration caving in to Blame America First crowd on this one.  What sort of message does this send about the second term...that if the liberals just do enough whining and hand-wringing about catastrophic situations, our government can be pressured into helping?

This is a classic liberal reponse: whenever people are severely disadvantaged and suffering, it's somehow our job to provide them with money, food, medicine, and supplies just because we can easily afford it.  Please show me where it's stated in the Constitution that *my* tax dollars should be funnelled into other countries just because they've suffered an almost cataclysmic disaster and are in dire need of our help!  This whole situation is nothing but another ploy by the liberal elite to use Big Government to solve everybody's problems, regardless of the fact that such acts of "compassion" really just reduce their ability to fend for themselves.

I also love the fact that the liberal mainstream media is doing everything it can to make a big deal out of the fact that the overwhelming majority of the charitable contributions are coming from "blue" areas like New York, California, and the northeast.  Does it really surprise anyone to discover that when the U.N. insults the Greatest Nation on Earth, those namby-pamby liberals would immediately fold and resort to appeasement rather than remaining united behind our president?  Rather than making some point about generosity, all this really proves is that real Americans prefer to provide for their own families instead of giving all their money away and then crying to the government about it.

These are just a few of the patriotic Truths our local conservative talk-show hosts have shared over the past week...thank God we have their Truth to counteract the lies of the liberal, America-hating mainstream media!

-Autistic Angel
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2005, 05:58:34 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"

Do you really think that the governement really cares how much the fund at Amazon?  If you do I have a nice piece of property to sell you.

I was being sarcastic Graham.

And yes Laner....I will let it go.   :wink:
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2005, 07:26:08 PM »

Thanks for the link.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: