http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 12:57:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You can't have your cake and eat it too  (Read 645 times)
Moliere
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2008, 01:16:06 AM »

New rule from the EU:

New EU regulations have banned the consumption of cakes and confectionary entered at country fairs and agricultural shows immediately after baking competitions.

How do politicians sit around expensive conference tables and come up with this stuff?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:25:33 AM »

Huh?  I'm at a total loss here.  What was their given reason for the necessity of destroying the baked goods?  Safety hazard?  Health hazard?  I mean, really, what was the goal with this ruling?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 02:02:27 AM »

after years of accepting enough stupid little things like this, the mandatory tracking chips wont seem as bad? smile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:59:21 AM »

I suspect there is an issue with the entries being on display for "too long" a period of time.  However, I can't imagine a soup kitchen or homeless shelter thinking that the items would be worse than something people dredge up out of Dumpsters just to survive.   disgust

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 03:33:07 PM »

those wacky Europeans  icon_lol  I bet some politician got snubbed and didn't get to eat part of a prize winning pie, so he came up with this to have vengeance on everyone else.  I bet this turns into one of those blue laws, like the one that says you cannot walk an elephant down main street on a Sunday.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 03:55:25 PM »

This didn't set off anyone else's BS warning?

Same source

But Martin Territt, director of the European Commission representation in Ireland, said EU rules covered only food businesses, so agricultural shows were free to go on having traditional cake competitions.
"There are no EU rules banning the eating of cakes at agricultural shows.  Any rules are only there to cover businesses. In fact, they specifically protect agricultural cake fairs and other traditional events," he said.  People producing food occasionally and on a small scale are not covered by the rules.  The 'new' EU food hygiene legislation was written into Irish law in 2006 (SI369/2006).

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 18, 2008, 03:55:25 PM

This didn't set off anyone else's BS warning?

Same source

But Martin Territt, director of the European Commission representation in Ireland, said EU rules covered only food businesses, so agricultural shows were free to go on having traditional cake competitions.
"There are no EU rules banning the eating of cakes at agricultural shows.  Any rules are only there to cover businesses. In fact, they specifically protect agricultural cake fairs and other traditional events," he said.  People producing food occasionally and on a small scale are not covered by the rules.  The 'new' EU food hygiene legislation was written into Irish law in 2006 (SI369/2006).

Not at all, I take my cake very seriously indeed!  Actually, I'm just a sucker... plus, stranger things have been true. 

Or, as Craig Ferguson says: it has to be real, it's written down!  icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: