http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 05:55:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You are outbid!  (Read 1959 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2006, 07:05:17 PM »

<rant>

I'm sick and goddamned tired of eBay.  No longer does the average Joe have any chance to get a real deal on that site.  Luck shouldn't be a factor.  Instead, I have to fight against somebody with a program or website to bid for them.  I've had 13 items that were great deals slip through my fingers over the last week, and all in the last 10 seconds of the auction.  It really isn't fair to the average consumer, but I suspect eBay doesn't care.  Damn it...

</rant>

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 07:06:06 PM »

EBay Snipers!!!!!

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 07:12:30 PM »

That's why I never bid anymore.  It seems it's not worth the time and effort anymore to track my bids.   The most I do is look for a good "buy it now" deal.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 07:17:38 PM »

That, or check the 'used and refurbished' condoms/items on amazon.com. Sometimes you'll see decent deals from third party dealers - I got quite a few ps2 games that might have been selling for $50 in stores for around $27.99. (Time splitters future perfect for example)

There's also overstock.com and half.com - but for ebay I pretty much stopped using it for the exact reasons. I thought I had a great deal on a decent PC the last time I used it, and within the last minute, I was outbid by about $4.00 and ended up losing it. And then after that, the same exact pc (was a dual core pentium 4 2.8 dell) was going for over $100 of what this other guy sniped me on, so the good deal chance was lost. That pretty much ended my ebay days for me.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 07:41:22 PM »

Just make dummy accounts on ebaysniper or whatever and use their free snipes.

It's what I do and it works like a charm.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 07:46:05 PM »

That sucks man. And for the record, how out of the loop am I that I have no idea what the hell a ebay sniper is.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »

I also prefer half.com or searching for deals in a regular-type store.  The thing I dislike about auctions is the uncertainty.  When I buy something, I like to know that it's been bought, and how much it's actually going to cost.  

Plus, my damn eBay (and paypal) accounts have been hosed for years, and I'm tired of sending them emails to try getting it fixed.  I would actually like to use eBay to sell some stuff.  Oh well.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 07:55:28 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
That sucks man. And for the record, how out of the loop am I that I have no idea what the hell a ebay sniper is.

An eBay sniper is someone who swoops in with a last second bid and wins it.  Personally, I consider it a waste of time bidding before the last second: all you are doing is driving up the price you pay if someone else cares to bid.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 08:03:37 PM »

I don't do much on ebay either but when I do, i always wait till the last 30 seconds or so of the auction and then put in a maximum bid for the actual maximum that I'd be willing to pay.

Bidding any earlier only drives the price up.

So that might make me a sniper but it's really the only way to win at those things.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 08:08:42 PM »

yup, if ya can't beat em, join em. If it's something you really want and you can't be on to bid at the last second then make use of the proxy bidding. Most of the people I talk to who complain about ebay never make use of proxy, instead always bidding the minimum and are surprised when they get sniped.

Dishonest sellers can take advantage of proxy bids using a second account to push up the bid and retracting the bid if they go over.  This also makes sniping a better option.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 08:09:06 PM »

Quote from: "DarkEL"
I don't do much on ebay either but when I do, i always wait till the last 30 seconds or so of the auction and then put in a maximum bid for the actual maximum that I'd be willing to pay.

Bidding any earlier only drives the price up.

So that might make me a sniper but it's really the only way to win at those things.

That is usually the only way I ebay as well, but I do it so rarely. Right now only looking for a couple dvd sets.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 08:31:09 PM »

I honestly don't see what the problem is.  Here's how I see it:

You, as a bidder, have two basic choices.  You can use the system to place your bid ANYTIME and have it automatically raised for you until you hit your maximum.  Or, you can wait and either personally snipe or use some kind of sniping service or program.  It's your choice.

Either way, you only get the item(notice I didn't say "win", it's not a contest) if your MAX amount is more than another bidder's max.  There's nothing magical about it.  If someone is willing to pay more, you will always get outbid.  If the seller is secretly cheating and inflating the price, you will always get outbid.

If you are one of those 'well, if I had known I could have got it for $X more, I would have bid a little more' people, then I have no sympathy because that is just dumb.   Decide what your max bid is and stick to it. If it goes for more you did NOT 'lose' anything, since it turned out to cost more than you thought it was worth to you.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 10:41:03 PM »

There is only a small window for that price war to occur.  Even if I put in a higher bid, the sniping can completely negate it.  If I'm at 4.50 on an item, but at 2 seconds before the bid closes, somebody else proxy bids, its too late once my bid hits.  I was trying to get some books this morning and my max bid was 10 bucks.  The auction ended at 5.00.  Make sense?  Hell no.  Happened?  Hell yes.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »

that sounds like a glitch that you should report to ebay then.

Because the way it's supposed to work is that you would always be the winner until someone else posts a maxbid higher than yours maxbid.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 11:22:51 PM »

I usually tell it to give me only items that are "Buy it Now."  Failing that I just bid what I am willing to pay.  I don't mind that since it only bids up your max bid in intervals, so if I bid $50 and the other guys bid a max of $20 I would only end up paying $21.  

Most of the time nobody else seems to want the shit I'm buying. smile

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 12:27:29 AM »

Quote from: "DarkEL"
that sounds like a glitch that you should report to ebay then.

Because the way it's supposed to work is that you would always be the winner until someone else posts a maxbid higher than yours maxbid.

Yeah, I've never seen such a thing happen.  I'm not saying it didn't, or doesn't, happen of course, just that you should report it.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 01:02:48 AM »

Done.  I thought I just got screwed, but maybe there is a glitch?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 01:15:48 AM »

I don't really see what the problem is either.  The fact of the matter is if you want to get an item at a half decently low price then you need to be a "sniper" too.  It's just common sense-I've been doing it ever since I started bidding on Ebay long before I ever heard the term "sniper" (actually today is the first.)  Basically you decide what the maximum is that you are willing to pay for a product and then you wait until the last moment and enter that into Ebay's proxy bid.  You will either A) get the product or B) it will be over your maximum and you can be happy that you didn't overspend.
Seems like a win win situation to me.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 03:53:44 AM »

I believe it was uBid who had the method that I have always thought eBay should adopt.  If it is less that 10 minutes or so from the end of an auction and a bid comes in, the auction is automatically extended another 10 minutes.  That means you can't just try and time your bid to come in at the very last second.  Of course, you have to be around to adjust your bid if you need to make it higher, but at least you have a fighting chance.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 05:19:35 AM »

I only use Ebay to get something I can't get anywhere else. I find that no matter what, I'll always pay more on Ebay that searching the wen with froggle or mysimon

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 07:25:59 PM »

I've had good luck with ebay.  Both buying and selling.

I recently got Dragonball Z Tenkaichi for $16.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 07:35:30 PM »

The only auction site I've ever purchased anything from was www.gunbroker.com  

The way the auctions work there is any bid that is placed in the last 15 minutes of an auction automatically adds another 15 minutes to the auction time.  That way, none of that ebay style sniping occurs.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 07:43:42 PM »

I like *selling* things on ebay - watching the auction during the last 10 minutes is always fun, especially if you're selling something in demand, like an iPod.  Buying, not so much.  It's good for older items that are no longer commercially available, but if what I want is available for a reasonable price elsewhere, I'm going to skip eBay.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 08:27:03 PM »

I usually bid first thing I see an item I'm looking for on ebay. I don't really care if it drives up the price as long as its below my max buying price. Which is really my max anyway.

For example, I was looking for a rare out of print wargame the other day. The first bid on there was like $10.00. So I went and put in my max price of $55.00. I immediately won high bid at $12.00. Then, over the remaining 5 days in the auction I saw some occasional attempts, never more than a few bucks. I figured that the main action was going to be in the final seconds.

And sure enough it was. Still, the sniper never found my max before he ran out of time. He kept going in $5.00 increments and never found my max price. End result, I win. Would I have gotten it for cheaper if I sniped it? Maybe. Do I really care as long as its below my absolute max? Not at all.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 09:07:16 PM »

I got simpsons season seven for 24.74 shipped. Good deal IMO.

I've only ever bought 4 things on ebay and they're all pretty cheap.

I set a low bid and figure my cost with shipping.  Then I don't budge.

Some idiots pay more at ebay than they could get it elsewhere when shipping is factored in...

When I finally buy a a PS2, I'm definitely going to be filling in the collection with Ebay purchased PS2 games.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 09:24:36 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
<rant>

I'm sick and goddamned tired of eBay.  No longer does the average Joe have any chance to get a real deal on that site.  Luck shouldn't be a factor.  Instead, I have to fight against somebody with a program or website to bid for them.  I've had 13 items that were great deals slip through my fingers over the last week, and all in the last 10 seconds of the auction.  It really isn't fair to the average consumer, but I suspect eBay doesn't care.  Damn it...

</rant>

why dont you just get one of those programs, I know a guy who has a few of them, but I dont use eBay, I get all my good deals here.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 11:52:13 PM »

Quote from: "Teggy"
I believe it was uBid who had the method that I have always thought eBay should adopt.  If it is less that 10 minutes or so from the end of an auction and a bid comes in, the auction is automatically extended another 10 minutes.  That means you can't just try and time your bid to come in at the very last second.  Of course, you have to be around to adjust your bid if you need to make it higher, but at least you have a fighting chance.

eBay doesn't need to adopt it if you use proxy bidding properly, unless something freaky happens as it did to KSD.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
depward

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 12:23:27 AM »

I just sold a wireless router on Ebay today.  It had 3 bids up until about a minute left for around a price of $35.  Within that last minute, there were 7 bids, and my item ultimately sold for $56.  Within the last 10 SECONDS there were two of those 7 bids.

See, I'm one of those people who wait til the very end to bid.  But I always have a "maximum" in mind.  I wait to input my maximum bid then because I know some people on Ebay don't HAVE a "maximum" price."  They'll just outbid anything because they really want the item.  So if I enter my proxy bid and it gets "outbid" at that time (<1 hour), then I'm cool with that.  I see myself having more of an advantage then rather than entering my proxy bid with three days left or whatever for someone who doesn't care how much they pay to outbid it.

I've just really come to the conclusion that it's sometime really hard to get a "deal" on Ebay now because of these programs and such.  Of course, different kinds of items yield different kinds of "deals."  Video games can be had at excellent prices whereas laptops (my father and I look for a "deal" on laptops on Ebay and have concluded you just can't get one) can't.  That's why I'll look for newly listed Buy-It-Now bids, because sometimes sellers put out items with a low'ish Buy-It-Now for various reasons.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2006, 01:05:48 AM »

My thoughts on ebay:

1)  Just look for great "Buy It Now' auctions to avoid bidding wars.  I start with the newly listed ones as good deals don't usually last more than 6-12 hours.

2)  If you'd rather go the cheaper route (and you are patient), well, just place the highest bid you would pay for the item, and leave it alone.  There is no reason to get sniped, because, you should have entered your max bid days ago. If you let yourself wait until the last hour, then you risk falling into the trap of overbidding aka 'bidding wars'.  Never bid when emotions are high.  My best deals usually come from bidding days before, and finding that no one else bid against me.  If I get outbid, then someone else paid too much IMHO.  I then continue the search.

3)  There seem to be more small business sellers every day (who all sell at a similar pre-set price), making it harder than ever to find the great deals from individual sellers.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: